Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] is offline

Default Bulbs

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 17:45:39 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

Would this not make them flicker a bit?

Perhaps

This was a fairly well known approach years back, there was a flicker
but I would guess that the type of filament used in halogens may
reduce the flicker to negligble levels.

Not to say it would load one mains
half cycle one would assume.

I think the grid can cope!

Assuming you take the positive half cycle in one room, stick the same
arrangement in another room and stick the diode in the other way so
the current is passed on the negative swing.

Peace happiness and much serenity back in the power station :-)

Incidentally another trick was a "wattless dropper" . I doubt that the
capacitor would fit in the switch box though. One could of course bung
it in a jam jar on a small shelf by the side of the switch.

AB

---