Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bulbs

En el artículo , Andrew Gabriel
escribió:

I have used quite a number of the Poundland 3W and 5W LEDs.

Were these the Electrek ones with the white plastic diffuser that gives
a wide spread of light, with the LEDs arranged in a circle?

I can see scorch marks on mine under the diffuser, but they still work.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 20:59:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,

When I re-wired this place, I made sure hall etc switching was
easily
available from everywhere it could possibly be needed. Which
means
5
switches for one of them.

I remmeber planing to put thin or thick ethenet cables in
everyroom.
wired speakers from the frontroom across the loft down into the
kitchen
and bathroom with swtiches so I could switch them off and on well
that
was in the 80s, how was I to know that I could carry a walkman
type
device which could store more music than I owned.

Pray tell how having a walkman replaces decent speakers in a room?

Where did I say they did ?

Try learning to read first.
"I could carry a walkman type device"

And what you use to specify what you want to listen to is quite
separate to where the sound comes out speakers wise too.

Yep so how does he use his music centre from the kitchen or bathroom..

No I have PIR which switch on when I go to the loo.

And no reason why you can't have that for the entire
house so the system turns the lights on and off completely
automatically because it knows where people are at all times.

what is the it that knnows where everyone is at all timnes ?

PIRs strategically placed. May well do dual duty for the alarm system.

Cats and other pets trigger them too.

Trivially easy to organise them so that they dont.

How do you organise a cat ?

Most do for situations like the next one when the system
mostly works out where everyone is at any given time.

What system does that ?

One that uses PIRs or RF ID to work that out.

PIRs can't do it and RF ID is pretty much near field we do that here too.
OK for library cards as you walk through barrier but not much good in open spaces and it can not locate where you are in a building only your last location.

You could also check the ather, transport all while taking a crap..
Or do you sdtill phone the AA for traffic reports.

I actually use it instead of a clock.

I use my 3rd gen ipod.

A decent smartphone does a hell of a lot
more and has everything in the one device.

Much more convenient to ask it what
the time is when I wake up in the dark.

Why do you want to know what the time is ?

I always wake up when its still dark and sometimes
want to know what time it is when I do.

I can either put my hand out and hit the snooze which also activates the
light

Much more convenient to ask what the time is.

No it isn't.

or I can look over to the whall where the time is projected onto the wall.

Many need their glasses to read that and I doubt even
you sleep with your glasses on in bed very often.

How many keep their hearing aid on in bed ?

than fart around putting the glasses on to be able to
read the clock and to have to turn over to face it etc.
Same with the temperature, much more convenient
to ask it what the temperature is.

How do you ask

Hey siri, time

Hey siri, temperature.

and why,

Because I sometimes want to know that. Tad radical I know.

If I want to know the temerature I want to know what the temperature
is outside my home not the average in london or the UK.

Its the closest official met site.

Not good enough in london of the UK Australai might have the same weather all over remionds me of scorcho .

I do have a thermometer but I don't look at it in order to work
out whether I am hot or cold I can workl thnat out by myself.

I prefer to go walking for exercise in the spring, summer and autumn
when the outside temp is 17C or so and is warming up first thing in
the morning so it doesnt get too hot during the 1:30 hours that I
normally walk, so I can wear just shorts, T shirt and boots.

I don't have those issues as I have to leave for
work at 8am irrespoective of the weather.

But it is handy to know what the temp is out there
so you know what it is best to wear, stupid.

Out where stupid out at heathrow.
You still have tp press a button to activate siri I don't have to do that to find what temeprature it is.

It does link to an outside sensor so I
know when the temerature outside is like.

No farting around like that with siri and it gets it from the
proper met bureau stevenson screen so its not affected by
some klutz like you having it where the sun shines on it etc.

Like outside my house why would I want to know the temp outside my
house when siri can tell me what the temp is for central london or
heathrow. ?

Because that is much more likely to be representative of the
temperature you will be seeing on the way to work, stupid.

Unlikely stupid as I'm not going anywhere near heathrow.

Quite. And then they can do the same to you.

I"d have mine password protected.

Much better to have it know who you are.

Presenty not possible.

BULL****. Trivial in fact.

Explain how then.

Any even half decent smartphone has a fingerprint sensor
that knows who you are when you wake the phone with the
home button, stupid.

Only if you have such a phone.

Plenty do facial recognition for that too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 11 November 2016 18:26:44 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 10 November 2016 16:43:47 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 20:59:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,

[...]

You organise the PIRs, not the cat, stupid.

Most do for situations like the next one when the system
mostly works out where everyone is at any given time.

What system does that ?

One that uses PIRs or RF ID to work that out.

PIRs can't do it

Wrong, as always.

and RF ID is pretty much near field we do that here too.

Plenty of similar stuff isnt.

OK for library cards as you walk through
barrier but not much good in open spaces

Others work fine in open spaces.

and it can not locate where you are in a building only your last location.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

[...]

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

I do have a thermometer but I don't look at it in order to work
out whether I am hot or cold I can workl thnat out by myself.

I prefer to go walking for exercise in the spring, summer and autumn
when the outside temp is 17C or so and is warming up first thing in
the morning so it doesnt get too hot during the 1:30 hours that I
normally walk, so I can wear just shorts, T shirt and boots.

I don't have those issues as I have to leave for
work at 8am irrespoective of the weather.

But it is handy to know what the temp is out there
so you know what it is best to wear, stupid.

You still have tp press a button to activate siri

Wrong, as always. The later iphones have
full time siri, no button press needed.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 November 2016 18:29:17 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 11 November 2016 18:26:44 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 10 November 2016 16:43:47 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 20:59:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,

[...]

How do orgnise PIRs so cats don't trigger them.
Cats go through cat flaps usualy attached to doors or close by.

Most do for situations like the next one when the system
mostly works out where everyone is at any given time.

What system does that ?

One that uses PIRs or RF ID to work that out.

PIRs can't do it

Wrong, as always.

right as always or show me a PIR that can detect who you are.

and RF ID is pretty much near field we do that here too.

Plenty of similar stuff isnt.

No there isn't otherwise the FBI and other agencies would be able to track everyone, and then peole wouldn;t need IDs like driving licences.

The rest of your **** flushed where it belongs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 18:29:17 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 11 November 2016 18:26:44 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 10 November 2016 16:43:47 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 20:59:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,

[...]

Alarm systems do it all the time. Same
with small rodents like mice and rats too.

Cats go through cat flaps usualy attached to doors or close by.

And its completely routine to organise the alarm PIRs to handle that.

Same with cats outside too.

Most do for situations like the next one when the system
mostly works out where everyone is at any given time.

What system does that ?

One that uses PIRs or RF ID to work that out.

PIRs can't do it

Wrong, as always.

right as always or show me a PIR that can detect who you are.

Doesnt have to detect who you are, ALL it has to do is
detect that its a human and not a cat or mouse or rat.

And with modern LED lights, it doesnt even have to be all
that reliable about detecting when there has been no one
present for quite a while, even just a half hour delay in turning
off the lights when there has been no movement detected for
that time is time.

And with modern LED lights its also fine to just leave most of
the lights on all the time too except when you want to sleep etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 18:47:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 18:29:17 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 11 November 2016 18:26:44 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 10 November 2016 16:43:47 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 20:59:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,

[...]

by NOT detecting in those areas.

Cats go through cat flaps usualy attached to doors or close by.

And its completely routine to organise the alarm PIRs to handle that.

you make sure the sensitivity is turned down that's all.

Same with cats outside too.

Hence false triggering of lights.

Most do for situations like the next one when the system
mostly works out where everyone is at any given time.

What system does that ?

One that uses PIRs or RF ID to work that out.

PIRs can't do it

Wrong, as always.

right as always or show me a PIR that can detect who you are.

Doesnt have to detect who you are,

then PIR can't detect who you are then can they.

ALL it has to do is
detect that its a human and not a cat or mouse or rat.

Then how does it do that.

And with modern LED lights, it doesnt even have to be all
that reliable about detecting when there has been no one
present for quite a while, even just a half hour delay in turning
off the lights when there has been no movement detected for
that time is time.

Which has nothing to do with it.

And with modern LED lights its also fine to just leave most of
the lights on all the time too except when you want to sleep etc.

Which has nothing to do with it, other than light pollution.
Next doors new PIR stays on most of the night disturbing downstairs where an 94 years olds bedroom window is within about 2 metres.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 18:47:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 18:29:17 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 11 November 2016 18:26:44 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 10 November 2016 16:43:47 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 20:59:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,

[...]

Which is the area close to the floor so that the human would
have to be lying on the floor to not be detected, stupid.

Cats go through cat flaps usualy attached to doors or close by.

And its completely routine to organise the alarm PIRs to handle that.

you make sure the sensitivity is turned down that's all.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

Same with cats outside too.

Hence false triggering of lights.

Doesnt happen when done properly and is no big deal
with modern low consumption LED lights anyway.

Most do for situations like the next one when the system
mostly works out where everyone is at any given time.

What system does that ?

One that uses PIRs or RF ID to work that out.

PIRs can't do it

Wrong, as always.

right as always or show me a PIR that can detect who you are.

Doesnt have to detect who you are, ALL it has to do is
detect that its a human and not a cat or mouse or rat.

Then how does it do that.

By not bothering with stuff that is too low to the floor.

And with modern LED lights, it doesnt even have to be all
that reliable about detecting when there has been no one
present for quite a while, even just a half hour delay in turning
off the lights when there has been no movement detected for
that time is time.

And with modern LED lights its also fine to just leave most of
the lights on all the time too except when you want to sleep etc.

reams of your irrelevant **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 18:05:27 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 18:47:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 18:29:17 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 11 November 2016 18:26:44 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 10 November 2016 16:43:47 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 20:59:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,

[...]

So. That's what I said. A PIR can't detect between a human and a cat well the cheap ones can't.
So :-

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/cat-...ail/story.html

http://www.yorkshirecoastradio.com/n...ough-cat-flap/

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...-times-7213988

Hence false triggering of lights.

Doesnt happen when done properly and is no big deal
with modern low consumption LED lights anyway.

consumption isn't the issue here.

Doesnt have to detect who you are, ALL it has to do is
detect that its a human and not a cat or mouse or rat.

Then how does it do that.

By not bothering with stuff that is too low to the floor.

yes there are idiots that do assume that.

reams of your irrelevant **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
You seem to be arguing with someone capable of typing copious drivel like
yourself, wodney.
LMFAO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2016 04:22, F Murtz wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
David laid this down on his screen :
I don't want to go down the LED filament route at this point as I'm
not rich enough.

Take a look in the Pound shops, they are selling low wattage SES lamps
for a pound each. I have no idea of the ability to last, or quality,
just that I noticed they sell what you need.

Daffodil or tulips? our tech teacher said lamps not bulbs!

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
David laid this down on his screen :
I don't want to go down the LED filament route at this point as I'm
not rich enough.

Take a look in the Pound shops, they are selling low wattage SES lamps
for a pound each. I have no idea of the ability to last, or quality,
just that I noticed they sell what you need.

Daffodil or tulips? our tech teacher said lamps not bulbs!

+1

Certainly in film and TV etc you got looked down on by the sparks if you
talked about a 'bulb'.

Snag is domestically most would thing of a fitting when you mention lamp -
like a table lamp. But everyone would know what you meant by a bulb in
that context.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave
Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,

?

PIRs strategically placed. May well do dual duty for the
alarm
system.

Cats and other pets trigger them too.

Trivially easy to organise them so that they dont.

How do you organise a cat ?

You organise the PIRs, not the cat, stupid.

How do orgnise PIRs so cats don't trigger them.

Alarm systems do it all the time. Same
with small rodents like mice and rats too.

by NOT detecting in those areas.

Which is the area close to the floor so that the human would
have to be lying on the floor to not be detected, stupid.

A PIR can't detect between a human and a cat well the cheap ones can't.

So you dont get a cheap one if you want the PIR to be used to work out
when a human is in a room so the system can work out whether the lights
need to be on in a particular room or not because someone is in it, stupid.

So :-

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/cat-...ail/story.html

http://www.yorkshirecoastradio.com/n...ough-cat-flap/

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...-times-7213988

Completely irrelevant to whether it works fine for lights.

Hence false triggering of lights.

Doesnt happen when done properly and is no big deal
with modern low consumption LED lights anyway.

consumption isn't the issue here.

Corse it is, if there is a bit of false triggering with LED lights, its
no big deal because the power used is so low when that happens.

Doesnt have to detect who you are, ALL it has to do is
detect that its a human and not a cat or mouse or rat.

Then how does it do that.

By not bothering with stuff that is too low to the floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave
Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,

[...]

So you dont get a cheap one

Price has littel to do with it PIR can;t tell the diffence between a human and a cat.

Doesnt happen when done properly and is no big deal
with modern low consumption LED lights anyway.

consumption isn't the issue here.

Corse it is,

No it isn't.

if there is a bit of false triggering with LED lights, its
no big deal because the power used is so low when that happens.

that's why I said consumption isn't the issue here. and yuo said.
Corse it is,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave
Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave
Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,

[...]

Corse it can. Even you should have noticed the difference in size.

In spades with decent hybrid PIR/doppler systems.

Which for some odd reason do tend to cost more than the very basic PIRs.

Doesnt happen when done properly and is no big deal
with modern low consumption LED lights anyway.

consumption isn't the issue here.

Corse it is,

if there is a bit of false triggering with LED lights, its
no big deal because the power used is so low when that happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave
Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave
Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,

[...]

PIRs can;t measure physical size.

In spades with decent hybrid PIR/doppler systems.

then it;s not a PIR then is it.

Which for some odd reason do tend to cost more than the very basic PIRs.

because PIRs can't do what you said they can which is tell the difernce between a human and a cat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2016 11:13, whisky-dave wrote:

because PIRs can't do what you said they can which is tell the difernce between a human and a cat.

Of course they can, if they have the right lens on the front.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 15:43:33 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/11/2016 11:13, whisky-dave wrote:

because PIRs can't do what you said they can which is tell the difernce between a human and a cat.

Of course they can, if they have the right lens on the front.

What lens can tell teh differnce between a human and a cat, is it the same lens google uses for image identification between cats dogs and people ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 15:43:33 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/11/2016 11:13, whisky-dave wrote:

because PIRs can't do what you said they can which is tell the
difernce between a human and a cat.

Of course they can, if they have the right lens on the front.

What lens can tell teh differnce between a human and a cat, is it the
same lens google uses for image identification between cats dogs and
people ?

Think we can now add never having installed a PIR to the long list of
things you've never done. The instructions cover coping with pets.

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 16:28:36 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 15:43:33 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/11/2016 11:13, whisky-dave wrote:

because PIRs can't do what you said they can which is tell the
difernce between a human and a cat.

Of course they can, if they have the right lens on the front.

What lens can tell teh differnce between a human and a cat, is it the
same lens google uses for image identification between cats dogs and
people ?

Think we can now add never having installed a PIR to the long list of
things you've never done. The instructions cover coping with pets.

So what are those instructions then if you're so clever....

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 15:43:33 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/11/2016 11:13, whisky-dave wrote:

because PIRs can't do what you said they can which is tell the
difernce between a human and a cat.

Of course they can, if they have the right lens on the front.

What lens can tell teh differnce between a human and a cat, is it the
same lens google uses for image identification between cats dogs and
people ?

Think we can now add never having installed a PIR to the long list of
things you've never done. The instructions cover coping with pets.

So what are those instructions then if you're so clever....

Here is a clue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-I.../dp/B00Y2V1E6C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 15:43:33 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/11/2016 11:13, whisky-dave wrote:

because PIRs can't do what you said they can which is tell the
difernce between a human and a cat.

Of course they can, if they have the right lens on the front.

What lens can tell teh differnce between a human and a cat, is it the
same lens google uses for image identification between cats dogs and
people ?

Think we can now add never having installed a PIR to the long list of
things you've never done. The instructions cover coping with pets.

So what are those instructions then if you're so clever....

I've already established there is no point in trying to educate you about
such things.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 15:43:33 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/11/2016 11:13, whisky-dave wrote:

because PIRs can't do what you said they can which is tell the
difernce between a human and a cat.

Of course they can, if they have the right lens on the front.

What lens can tell teh differnce between a human and a cat, is it the
same lens google uses for image identification between cats dogs and
people ?

Think we can now add never having installed a PIR to the long list of
things you've never done. The instructions cover coping with pets.

So what are those instructions then if you're so clever....

Here is a clue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-I.../dp/B00Y2V1E6C

You really believe that don't you.nd what;s with the 36KG pet.
Peolpe are just being ripped off by making the device less sensative to small signals that's all.
If PIRs really could tell the differnce they wouldn;t need the 36KG limit would they.

You can buy anything I remmeber dehydrated water being sold on amazon.