Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Bulbs

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 20:59:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 15:16:33 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 11:20:31 UTC, Dave Plowman
(News)
wrote:
In article
,

When I re-wired this place, I made sure hall etc switching
was
easily
available from everywhere it could possibly be needed. Which
means
5
switches for one of them.

I remmeber planing to put thin or thick ethenet cables in
everyroom.
wired speakers from the frontroom across the loft down into
the
kitchen
and bathroom with swtiches so I could switch them off and on
well
that
was in the 80s, how was I to know that I could carry a walkman
type
device which could store more music than I owned.

Pray tell how having a walkman replaces decent speakers in a
room?

Where did I say they did ?

Try learning to read first.
"I could carry a walkman type device"

And what you use to specify what you want to listen to is quite
separate to where the sound comes out speakers wise too.

Yep so how does he use his music centre from the kitchen or
bathroom.

No I have PIR which switch on when I go to the loo.

And no reason why you can't have that for the entire
house so the system turns the lights on and off completely
automatically because it knows where people are at all times.

what is the it that knnows where everyone is at all timnes ?

PIRs strategically placed. May well do dual duty for the alarm system.

Cats and other pets trigger them too.

Trivially easy to organise them so that they dont.

How do you organise a cat ?

You organise the PIRs, not the cat, stupid.

Most do for situations like the next one when the system
mostly works out where everyone is at any given time.

What system does that ?

One that uses PIRs or RF ID to work that out.

PIRs can't do it

Wrong, as always.

and RF ID is pretty much near field we do that here too.

Plenty of similar stuff isnt.

OK for library cards as you walk through
barrier but not much good in open spaces

Others work fine in open spaces.

and it can not locate where you are in a building only your last location.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

You could also check the ather, transport all while taking a
crap.
Or do you sdtill phone the AA for traffic reports.

I actually use it instead of a clock.

I use my 3rd gen ipod.

A decent smartphone does a hell of a lot
more and has everything in the one device.

Much more convenient to ask it what
the time is when I wake up in the dark.

Why do you want to know what the time is ?

I always wake up when its still dark and sometimes
want to know what time it is when I do.

I can either put my hand out and hit the snooze which also activates
the
light

Much more convenient to ask what the time is.

or I can look over to the whall where the time is projected onto the
wall.

Many need their glasses to read that and I doubt even
you sleep with your glasses on in bed very often.

than fart around putting the glasses on to be able to
read the clock and to have to turn over to face it etc.
Same with the temperature, much more convenient
to ask it what the temperature is.

How do you ask

Hey siri, time

Hey siri, temperature.

and why,

Because I sometimes want to know that. Tad radical I know.

If I want to know the temerature I want to know what the temperature
is outside my home not the average in london or the UK.

Its the closest official met site.

Not good enough in london of the UK

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

I do have a thermometer but I don't look at it in order to work
out whether I am hot or cold I can workl thnat out by myself.

I prefer to go walking for exercise in the spring, summer and autumn
when the outside temp is 17C or so and is warming up first thing in
the morning so it doesnt get too hot during the 1:30 hours that I
normally walk, so I can wear just shorts, T shirt and boots.

I don't have those issues as I have to leave for
work at 8am irrespoective of the weather.

But it is handy to know what the temp is out there
so you know what it is best to wear, stupid.

You still have tp press a button to activate siri

Wrong, as always. The later iphones have
full time siri, no button press needed.

It does link to an outside sensor so I
know when the temerature outside is like.

No farting around like that with siri and it gets it from the
proper met bureau stevenson screen so its not affected by
some klutz like you having it where the sun shines on it etc.

Like outside my house why would I want to know the temp outside my
house when siri can tell me what the temp is for central london or
heathrow. ?

Because that is much more likely to be representative of the
temperature you will be seeing on the way to work, stupid.

Quite. And then they can do the same to you.

I"d have mine password protected.

Much better to have it know who you are.

Presenty not possible.

BULL****. Trivial in fact.

Explain how then.

Any even half decent smartphone has a fingerprint sensor
that knows who you are when you wake the phone with the
home button, stupid.

Plenty do facial recognition for that too.