derek

Default OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:30:12 +0000, PoP wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:04:56 +0000, derek
wrote:

The chocolate price stayed the same for many years 'till some stupid
government tried to put a luxury tax on it which would have made it
7 1/2 pennies so the manufacturers altered the weight and that was how
inflation started in the '60s.

You know, I've never seen those arguments put before but they do seem
eminently sensible! The EU has been responsible for all sorts of
nonsense over the years.

Never really figured how 1760 yards to the mile was a good number to
come up with though - I understand 8 furlongs etc, but 1760 never did
make the maths simple

Read it somewhere just recently (Don't think it was in this thread)

1 mile = 1 (Roman) mille = 1,000 standard double paces (Left + Right)
of a marching Roman Soldier.

DG
derek

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:58:33 +0000, derek
wrote:

Read it somewhere just recently (Don't think it was in this thread)

Sorry to follow up my own post. it was in:

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/length.htm

Very interesting.

1 mile = 1 (Roman) mille = 1,000 standard double paces (Left + Right)
of a marching Roman Soldier.

DG
Parish

wrote:

The chocolate price stayed the same for many years 'till some stupid
government tried to put a luxury tax on it which would have made it
7 1/2 pennies so the manufacturers altered the weight and that was how
inflation started in the '60s.

You know, I've never seen those arguments put before but they do seem
eminently sensible! The EU has been responsible for all sorts of
nonsense over the years.

Never really figured how 1760 yards to the mile was a good number to
come up with though - I understand 8 furlongs etc, but 1760 never did
make the maths simple

Read it somewhere just recently (Don't think it was in this thread)

1 mile = 1 (Roman) mille = 1,000 standard double paces (Left + Right)
of a marching Roman Soldier.

Apart from the mille, what have the Romans ever done for us?

OK, I'll get me coat.

DG

Nick Finnigan

"PoP" wrote in message

Never really figured how 1760 yards to the mile was a good number to
come up with though - I understand 8 furlongs etc, but 1760 never did
make the maths simple

A thousand paces by a trained Roman walker
is about 10% shorter than 6,000 modern feet.

Christian McArdle

In these days of ubiquitious computerisation, this point is specious.

So you walk around with a computer with all the conversion figures at all
times?

Christian.

Christian McArdle

Because people don't want to? After all, Ghod forbid that they should
choose.

I choose metric, as do a large proportion of my generation. I find that my
generation uses metric for everything, except the following:

1. Road distances and speeds
2. Volume of beer and cider (but not other drinks)
3. Weight of a person only (but not other things)
4. Height of a person only (but not other things)
5. Idioms

Christian.

PoP

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:31:39 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Decimilasation and metrication had nothing to do with the EU. They are
simply sensible and time saving changes that happen to throw out the
unworkable mishmash of Roman and medieval units used before. Imperial units
are all defined as fixed proportions of metric SI units now anyway. Why not
use the real thing?

The real thing?

When you die you'll probably be put six feet under (figuratively
speaking at least), not 1.72 metres.

If you've been in a close shave it'll be within an inch of your life,
not 2.54cm.

The government are currently after their pound of flesh from the BBC.
Funny how it isn't a number of grams.

I've yet to come across a metre of ale.

Depths at sea are measured in fathoms. Again, not multiples of metres.

Have you ever heard a sailor swinging from the metre-arm?

Why do UK car speedometers show miles per hour? Why are distances
shown on roads and maps shown as miles?

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.
PoP

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:14:49 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

This making exact distribution of the quid that granny gave the kids for
christams an exact science in all families of less than 7 children...

And not forgetting the good old thrupenny bit in the Christmas Pud!

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.
Parish

wrote:

Decimilasation and metrication had nothing to do with the EU. They are
simply sensible and time saving changes that happen to throw out the
unworkable mishmash of Roman and medieval units used before. Imperial units
are all defined as fixed proportions of metric SI units now anyway. Why not
use the real thing?

The real thing?

When you die you'll probably be put six feet under (figuratively
speaking at least), not 1.72 metres.

That would be 1.83m ;-)

If you've been in a close shave it'll be within an inch of your life,
not 2.54cm.

The government are currently after their pound of flesh from the BBC.

Looks like they've got several stones - Greg Dyke, the Director General
(GD the DG) has just resigned as well.

Funny how it isn't a number of grams.

I've yet to come across a metre of ale.

Sign below the yard of ale glass on the wall in my local:

"Due to EU regulations the yard of ale is now called the 0.9144 metre of
ale - price £2/ft."

Depths at sea are measured in fathoms. Again, not multiples of metres.

Have you ever heard a sailor swinging from the metre-arm?

Why do UK car speedometers show miles per hour? Why are distances
shown on roads and maps shown as miles?

Because the Govt. in the '70s only made a half-hearted effort at
metrication?

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , PoP
URL:mailto
When you die you'll probably be put six feet under (figuratively
speaking at least), not 1.72 metres.

If you've been in a close shave it'll be within an inch of your life,
not 2.54cm.

The government are currently after their pound of flesh from the BBC.
Funny how it isn't a number of grams.

I've yet to come across a metre of ale.

Depths at sea are measured in fathoms. Again, not multiples of metres.

Have you ever heard a sailor swinging from the metre-arm?

Why do UK car speedometers show miles per hour? Why are distances
shown on roads and maps shown as miles?

Something that annoys me intensly (sp?) is Discovery's habit of converting
*everything* into metric including QFE / QNH, airspeed and fuel loads.

Christian McArdle

I've yet to come across a metre of ale.

Strangely, I have, in southern France. Very nice it tasted too, although it
was a little warm by the end!

Why do UK car speedometers show miles per hour? Why are distances
shown on roads and maps shown as miles?

Historical reasons. Ireland is changing over. I can't wait until we're next!

Christian.

Christian McArdle

When I'm on customer site measuring up I switch between orgasmic
and metric on a whim - it really depends which side of the tape
measure is closest to the edge I'm measuring.

Ah. My tape measures have mm both sides! I prefer to work with one unit,
rather than change depending on what side of the tape is nearest.

Christian.

John Laird

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:59:10 +0000, PoP wrote:

It's next to impossible to misread imperial on a ruler. 47 and 5/8ths
inches can't really be mistaken for anything else.

I'm quite happy working in either units, but I find myself more often making
mental slips in imperial. In your example, it's quite likely I would jot
down 45 and 7/8ths.

As the old saying goes, measure three times, cut once ;-)

--
Sure I can help you out, which way did you come in?

Mail john rather than nospam...
Christian McArdle

Why? What possible benefit is there fore this disgraceful waste of
taxpayer's money?

Annoying those who don't like metric units?

Christian.

PoP

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:39:26 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Why? What possible benefit is there fore this disgraceful waste of
taxpayer's money?

Annoying those who don't like metric units?

Yeah - and the next thing you will be complaining about is getting 3
points on your license for doing 50 in a 30mph zone!

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.
Tony Bryer

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Ah. My tape measures have mm both sides! I prefer to work with
one unit, rather than change depending on what side of the
tape is nearest.

Which is why on one trip to the USA an older friend asked me to
buy him some tape measures. Wickes had a lot of apologising to
do when they arrested him for shoplifting and he made them look
carefully at the Stanley Powerlock he'd allegedly just pocketed!

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

PoP

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:29:49 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

Which is why on one trip to the USA an older friend asked me to
buy him some tape measures. Wickes had a lot of apologising to
do when they arrested him for shoplifting and he made them look
carefully at the Stanley Powerlock he'd allegedly just pocketed!

I guess I have a guilt complex even though I'm completely honest!

It always concerns me when I visit a DIY place with a tape measure in
my pocket, just in case I get held at the exit door on suspicion. For
that reason I always make sure my tape measure is clearly labelled
from a different source to those of the DIY shed I'm visiting - it
would be a bit difficult for Focus DIY (e.g.) to claim that the
TLC-Direct labelled tape measure came from their store shelf!

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.
Andy Hall

wrote:

Which is why on one trip to the USA an older friend asked me to
buy him some tape measures. Wickes had a lot of apologising to
do when they arrested him for shoplifting and he made them look
carefully at the Stanley Powerlock he'd allegedly just pocketed!

I guess I have a guilt complex even though I'm completely honest!

It always concerns me when I visit a DIY place with a tape measure in
my pocket, just in case I get held at the exit door on suspicion. For
that reason I always make sure my tape measure is clearly labelled
from a different source to those of the DIY shed I'm visiting - it
would be a bit difficult for Focus DIY (e.g.) to claim that the
TLC-Direct labelled tape measure came from their store shelf!

I tend to just go along with whatever tape comes to hand - generally
leaving one in the car because I'm forever putting them down and
forgetting where.

A store would have to demonstrate that you took the article from the
store which usually means that they have to have seen you pick it up,
pocket it and walk out.

I don't like the game that some of the stores play of wanting to see
receipts on the way out and checking goods and tend not to co-operate
with it.

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
geoff

In message , derek
writes

The whole British Imperial System was eminently workable.

A Rod, Pole, or Perch. was the standard width of a Victorian terraced
house in London. and equalled a standard number of bricks.

It was also equal to the length of a farm hands staff used for
"encouraging" teams of oxen pulling a plough, conveniently to hand
when measuring the amount of ploughing done.

The "old money" system conveniently divided the pound into 1/10ths, (2
shillings) and 1/8ths (half crown) 1/20th (shilling) and 1/40thcoins.
Leading to a ready made scale of inflexible price points which
discouraged inflation. Eg bananas 2'6 per pound (not 12.5p per 454
grammes), a 2oz bar of chocolate 6d.

I'm not quite sure where you've been for the last 100 years, but they
don't build Victorian terraced houses any more, and (this might come as
a bit of a shock to you), farm hands ploughing with oxen are a bit of a
rarity nowadays.

While I can still think in £sd if I try, what's the use? it's gone, it
is no more it's a relic of the past. The rest of the UK has moved on,
try it.

You can't whack it.

The chocolate price stayed the same for many years 'till some stupid
government tried to put a luxury tax on it which would have made it
7 1/2 pennies so the manufacturers altered the weight and that was how
inflation started in the '60s.

Aah, so that is the root cause of a broom cupboard going for a million
pounds in London - that's OK then

DG

--
geoff

geoff

In message , Huge
writes
"Christian McArdle" writes:
In these days of ubiquitious computerisation, this point is specious.

So you walk around with a computer with all the conversion figures at all
times?

Why would I need to? You're the one who wants people to work in one set
of units. Why can't people use what they want?

Because they have to interface with other people in a bigger world. That
mistakes can happen is well demonstrated by a very expensive piece of
junk which was last seen going in the direction of Mars

--
geoff
geoff

In message , PoP
writes
wrote:

Decimilasation and metrication had nothing to do with the EU. They are
simply sensible and time saving changes that happen to throw out the
unworkable mishmash of Roman and medieval units used before. Imperial units
are all defined as fixed proportions of metric SI units now anyway. Why not
use the real thing?

The real thing?

When you die you'll probably be put six feet under (figuratively
speaking at least), not 1.72 metres.

That's if they can find 2 square metres spare in which to bury you

If you've been in a close shave it'll be within an inch of your life,
not 2.54cm.

Real close shaves are measured in Rizlas

The government are currently after their pound of flesh from the BBC.
Funny how it isn't a number of grams.

Surely you mean grammys (for bad acting)

I've yet to come across a metre of ale.

I'll draw you one on the bar one da

Depths at sea are measured in fathoms. Again, not multiples of metres.

Have you ever heard a sailor swinging from the metre-arm?

Why do UK car speedometers show miles per hour? Why are distances
shown on roads and maps shown as miles?

Because the powers that be think that we are too stupid to be able to
judge such parameters in metric

I'll stop before I put my 30cm in it too far

--
geoff
geoff

In message , Huge
writes
"Christian McArdle" writes:
I've yet to come across a metre of ale.

Strangely, I have, in southern France. Very nice it tasted too, although it
was a little warm by the end!

Why do UK car speedometers show miles per hour? Why are distances
shown on roads and maps shown as miles?

Historical reasons. Ireland is changing over. I can't wait until we're next!

Why? What possible benefit is there fore this disgraceful waste of taxpayer's
money?

Possibly because it's going to happen one day
--
geoff
geoff

In message , derek
writes

wrote:

The chocolate price stayed the same for many years 'till some stupid
government tried to put a luxury tax on it which would have made it
7 1/2 pennies so the manufacturers altered the weight and that was how
inflation started in the '60s.

You know, I've never seen those arguments put before but they do seem
eminently sensible! The EU has been responsible for all sorts of
nonsense over the years.

Never really figured how 1760 yards to the mile was a good number to
come up with though - I understand 8 furlongs etc, but 1760 never did
make the maths simple

Read it somewhere just recently (Don't think it was in this thread)

1 mile = 1 (Roman) mille = 1,000 standard double paces (Left + Right)
of a marching Roman Soldier.

And when did you last see a roman legion marching past your front door?
--
geoff
PoP

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:23:32 +0000, geoff wrote:

Because they have to interface with other people in a bigger world. That
mistakes can happen is well demonstrated by a very expensive piece of
junk which was last seen going in the direction of Mars

Actually I think it is heading away from Mars now, probably to be
intercepted in a gazillion years from now by some alien race who pick
it up on their space radar.

But that sure was a very expensive mistake! Mind you, I sometimes
wonder whether it was a convenient excuse to hide some other mission
failure - like they found out that they put 4 star fuel in the craft
instead of diesel

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.

PoP

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:14:52 +0000, geoff wrote:

And when did you last see a roman legion marching past your front door?

The way the immigration system is working we seem to have legions of
many different nations marching past the proverbial front door.

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.
Christian McArdle

It always concerns me when I visit a DIY place with a tape measure in
my pocket, just in case I get held at the exit door on suspicion.

Or you could be like me, pick up one of the cheap ones from the tool section
to measure some wood, put it in your pocket and completely forget about it.
Still, the amount of trade I put their way, they can forgive me a value tape
measure.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:

Because people don't want to? After all, Ghod forbid that they should
choose.

I choose metric, as do a large proportion of my generation. I find that my
generation uses metric for everything, except the following:

1. Road distances and speeds

But I can actually use both, and do as you ned to on teh continenet.

2. Volume of beer and cider (but not other drinks)

Yes.

3. Weight of a person only (but not other things)

Yse.

4. Height of a person only (but not other things)

Yes.

5. Idioms

Add in temperature. I have almost forgotten what 100 degreed F is like.

Ther as someything nice about fahrenheit. 0 degrees was the coldest it
ever got and 100 degrees was the hottest it ever got in te year and
place wherever Mr Fahrenit did his measurements...

I am totally bilingual on linesar measuremenst too - inches/mm - use
ether one and have most of the convesrsions in my head.

Prefer watts to BTU/h

Or Bhp.

Harmonisation and decimilastin is on balance a good thing, but teh old
measures were fun and have historical sigbnificance amnd meaning. I miss
them.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

geoff wrote:

Why do UK car speedometers show miles per hour? Why are distances
shown on roads and maps shown as miles?

Because the powers that be think that we are too stupid to be able to
judge such parameters in metric

No, because of all the decimalisations that happened, that is the one
whose cost would have been borne entirely by the government.

Christian McArdle

Ther as someything nice about fahrenheit. 0 degrees was the coldest
it ever got and 100 degrees was the hottest it ever got in te year
and place wherever Mr Fahrenit did his measurements...

Few people I know understand what Farenheit means. You get the impression
that "in the 80s" means it's fairly warm and 100 is blood temperature, but
thats about the limit.

I thought that 100 Farenheit was the temperature of a cow's behind, but have
probably been sucked in by an urban myth.

Christian.

PoP

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:39:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

No, because of all the decimalisations that happened, that is the one
whose cost would have been borne entirely by the government.

Wrong! Governments haven't got any money so the cost could never be
borne by the government - they use the taxpayers money.

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.
Andrew

In article , PoP
writes
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:14:52 +0000, geoff wrote:

And when did you last see a roman legion marching past your front door?

The way the immigration system is working we seem to have legions of
many different nations marching past the proverbial front door.

After 1st May we will be having legions of Romany's from Romania
marching towards the nearest UK housing department to claim their rent-
free house and £400 a week to supplement their begging and scrap metal
business.
PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.

--
Andrew
PoP

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:17:02 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

After 1st May we will be having legions of Romany's from Romania
marching towards the nearest UK housing department to claim their rent-
free house and £400 a week to supplement their begging and scrap metal
business.

Good for the 2nd hand car business though - social services will
obviously need to ensure these people get a car so that they can
travel to and from the Job Centre to claim their benefits each week.