geoff

Default OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

In message , PoP
writes
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:31:39 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Decimilasation and metrication had nothing to do with the EU. They are
simply sensible and time saving changes that happen to throw out the
unworkable mishmash of Roman and medieval units used before. Imperial units
are all defined as fixed proportions of metric SI units now anyway. Why not
use the real thing?

The real thing?

When you die you'll probably be put six feet under (figuratively
speaking at least), not 1.72 metres.

That's if they can find 2 square metres spare in which to bury you

If you've been in a close shave it'll be within an inch of your life,
not 2.54cm.

Real close shaves are measured in Rizlas

The government are currently after their pound of flesh from the BBC.
Funny how it isn't a number of grams.

Surely you mean grammys (for bad acting)

I've yet to come across a metre of ale.

I'll draw you one on the bar one da

Depths at sea are measured in fathoms. Again, not multiples of metres.

Have you ever heard a sailor swinging from the metre-arm?

Why do UK car speedometers show miles per hour? Why are distances
shown on roads and maps shown as miles?

Because the powers that be think that we are too stupid to be able to
judge such parameters in metric

I'll stop before I put my 30cm in it too far

--
geoff