Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Plug socket"

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?

No, but it makes James Wilkinson's claim that they fall to bits not true.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
I thought I read or heard last year the BBC had directed its staff
that Railway Station should be the preferred term, seems to have made
no difference on the local station, whoops there's another one,

There's another one where it's obvious what you mean by "local station".

'There has been a fire at your local station'

Given I have a fire station, police station, tube station and rail station
all nearby, which one would it be 'obvious' to you 'they' meant?

--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bod wrote:
Not when the motor fails, the clutch breaks, the handle falls off....
typical British quality, just like Rover.

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

With no repairs others than consumables? Perhaps they've improved their
quality.

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Bod

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.
Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?

No, but it makes James Wilkinson's claim that they fall to bits not
true.

Old Wilkie was talking cock. My Dyson (one of the original ones) went
for 20 years.

My Panasonic - a Which best buy - is now about 25 years old and only ever
had consumables replaced. See no need to replace it either, since it still
works as well as new.

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Bod

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?

No, but it makes James Wilkinson's claim that they fall to bits not true.

Old Wilkie was talking cock. My Dyson (one of the original ones) went
for 20 years.

Yebut, don't forget, wilkie is PHucker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bod wrote:
Not when the motor fails, the clutch breaks, the handle falls off....
typical British quality, just like Rover.

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

With no repairs others than consumables? Perhaps they've improved their
quality.

Correct, no repairs and still got the original filter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?

No, but it makes James Wilkinson's claim that they fall to bits not true.

Old Wilkie was talking cock. My Dyson (one of the original ones) went
for 20 years.

Yebut, don't forget, wilkie is PHucker.

Wasn't that a film *Meet the Phuckers* ? ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/23/2016 7:55 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bod wrote:
Not when the motor fails, the clutch breaks, the handle falls off....
typical British quality, just like Rover.

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

With no repairs others than consumables? Perhaps they've improved their
quality.

We have a DC01, bought about 19 years ago, still working well. The
relative who recommended it to me still has his even older one, and it's
also still in regular use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
Not when the motor fails, the clutch breaks, the handle falls off....
typical British quality, just like Rover.

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

With no repairs others than consumables? Perhaps they've improved their
quality.

We have a DC01, bought about 19 years ago, still working well. The
relative who recommended it to me still has his even older one, and it's
also still in regular use.

I didn't ship a 50's Hoover constellation home from S Africa in 1983
because it was too heavy. It still worked perfectly.

Let's face it, its a disgrace that Dysons have so many spare parts. Back
in the day all that wore out was the rotating brush, the rubber belt,
sometimes the bag, and the carbon brushes in the motor.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

Given I have a fire station, police station, tube station and rail station
all nearby, which one would it be 'obvious' to you 'they' meant?

Who was saying that and to whom were they saying it?

Perhaps it is just me, but 'the station' always means the railway
station to me. Any other station requires qualification.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
Not when the motor fails, the clutch breaks, the handle falls off....
typical British quality, just like Rover.

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

With no repairs others than consumables? Perhaps they've improved their
quality.

We have a DC01, bought about 19 years ago, still working well. The
relative who recommended it to me still has his even older one, and it's
also still in regular use.

It does depend how you treat them I guess, I was dysoning up after using paint stripper on my door, not sure if that will efect the plastic it certainly made my food go a bit red through my socks so maybe it'll do something to the hose too, but it won;t stop me using it.
I used my DC05 and the hose split there was a screw I;d dysoned up sticking slightly out of it and wedbed in an awakward place so I traded it in at agros for a new one. My portable one rolled down the stairs a week ago and still works OK.
They might not be the best cleaners but everyone I know personlly is very pleased with them and say they work much better than there previous cleaner.
I am tempted by the G-tech advertised on TV but it's about the same price as a dyson at £300 .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Given I have a fire station, police station, tube station and rail station
all nearby, which one would it be 'obvious' to you 'they' meant?

Who was saying that and to whom were they saying it?

Perhaps it is just me, but 'the station' always means the railway
station to me. Any other station requires qualification.
--
Graeme

David Bowie had an album called station to station maybe the drugs confused him too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Given I have a fire station, police station, tube station and rail station
all nearby, which one would it be 'obvious' to you 'they' meant?

Who was saying that and to whom were they saying it?

Perhaps it is just me, but 'the station' always means the railway
station to me. Any other station requires qualification.

Will depend a lot on where you live and if you use the train
occasionally, since the 1960's many areas of the country don't have a
railway station for miles and lots people under 50 have never been on
a train.
Someone living in some place like Clovelly could when they say "I'm
going down the station" mean they are off to lifeboat drill and their
neighbours would understand.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 17:46:49 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"? Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

No, you don't have to wash plug sockets in warm soapy water. And that isn't the right name for them unless you live in a ****ing house. Or one that you washed all your plug sockets in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 19:09:45 UTC+1, Scott wrote:

Actually, they often say 'station stop' which always seems to me
unnecessary.

Do they actually say 'station stop' often?

Who are they?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 September 2016 17:13:16 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
No, you don't have to wash plug sockets in warm soapy water.

They do come up nice if you do though.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know about 10 people locally with Dysons. 9 of them said they're **** and that important parts fell off or seized up (usually the motor or clutch fails catastrophically). The 1 that likes them has a husband who is constantly repairing it! I saw it once, it was covered in tape and clamps to hold it together. And it's only 4 years old.

--
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?

No, but it makes James Wilkinson's claim that they fall to bits not true.

I know about 10 people locally with Dysons. 9 of them said they're ****
and that important parts fell off or seized up (usually the motor or
clutch fails catastrophically). The 1 that likes them has a husband who
is constantly repairing it! I saw it once, it was covered in tape and
clamps to hold it together. And it's only 4 years old.

How strange that everyone here has had the opposite effect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?

No, but it makes James Wilkinson's claim that they fall to bits not true.

I know about 10 people locally with Dysons. 9 of them said they're **** and that important parts fell off or seized up (usually the motor or clutch fails catastrophically). The 1 that likes them has a husband who is constantly repairing it! I saw it once, it was covered in tape and clamps to hold it together. And it's only 4 years old.

Mine has rubbish suction after 10 years. I've taken almost all of it apart without finding anything amiss or bunged up. I CBA to take the motor assembly apart, everything else has been examined and found fine. I doubt I'll get another, though for £20 I can't complain.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2016 19:59, Bob Eager wrote:
They're being precise. The train may stop before that, but not at a
station. And you are only meant to board/alight at a station.

If a train stops in a station but that is an unscheduled stop and no-one
is allowed to board or alight, is that a station stop?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?

No, but it makes James Wilkinson's claim that they fall to bits not true.

I know about 10 people locally with Dysons. 9 of them said they're **** and that important parts fell off or seized up (usually the motor or clutch fails catastrophically). The 1 that likes them has a husband who is constantly repairing it! I saw it once, it was covered in tape and clamps to hold it together. And it's only 4 years old.

Mine has rubbish suction after 10 years. I've taken almost all of it apart without finding anything amiss or bunged up. I CBA to take the motor assembly apart, everything else has been examined and found fine.

That happens to every vacuum and is a complete mystery to mankind. My Vax is 25 years old (nothing's broken except one of the brushes, which I replaced on Ebay for a fiver). But the suction isn't as good as I think it used to be, maybe my memory is at fault. I HAVE taken the motor apart, and everything looks fine. All the filters are clean etc aswell. I don't know why it would suck less. I assume motors can't get weaker with age?

I doubt I'll get another, though for £20 I can't complain.

£20 for a Dyson? Having said that, I got four of them on freecycle, two in working order with broken handles and tubes and so forth, one with a faulty motor, and one with a seized clutch. So I can make a good un easily.

--
The most ejaculatory orgasms ever recorded in 1 hour for a boy is 16.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?

No, but it makes James Wilkinson's claim that they fall to bits not true.

I know about 10 people locally with Dysons. 9 of them said they're ****
and that important parts fell off or seized up (usually the motor or
clutch fails catastrophically). The 1 that likes them has a husband who
is constantly repairing it! I saw it once, it was covered in tape and
clamps to hold it together. And it's only 4 years old.

How strange that everyone here has had the opposite effect.

I think all the people I know have kids and pets and use them a lot. But normal vacuums for a fifth of the price don't wear out like that.

And it's you that's unusual: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3688983.stm

"The Dyson vacuum cleaner - famous for its bagless technology - is the least reliable of all upright and cylinder brands, a consumer magazine has said.
A quarter of 5,100 upright vacuum cleaner owners surveyed by Which? failed to give their Dyson an all-clear on performance after six years' use.

Nearly a fifth of Dyson cylinder users also reported issues.

Despite the problems, Dyson owners remain the most likely to recommend the machine to a friend, Which? reported."

So like Apple users, they have lots of problems and just keep on coming back. Morons....

--
Remember when you were kid and you used to blow bubbles?
Well, I saw him the other day and he says hello.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Friday, 23 September 2016 16:00:43 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
Perhaps it is just me, but 'the station' always means the railway
station to me. Any other station requires qualification.

David Bowie had an album called station to station maybe the drugs
confused him too.

Perhaps he had been playing trains with his mate Rod the Mod.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Graeme
wrote:

Perhaps it is just me, but 'the station' always means the railway
station to me. Any other station requires qualification.

But that because (I assume) you, like me, are an ordinary bod who
normally has nothing to do with any other sort of station.

Railway station most frequently, yes, but bus and police station too.

As I hinted before, it's a question of context. Two coppers will be
talking about the police station, two firemen about the fire station.
If they mean any other sort of station then they'll qualify as needed.

Agreed.

All this is bleeding obvious.

Well, yes, but if, for example, a pal said I'll meet you by the station,
I would just assume railway station. Perhaps I shouldn't. Having said
that, I have two pals who are police, and if they suggested meeting by
the station, I would assume police station, but only because I know
their occupations.

Not trying to argue - just saying that, to me, the station is the
railway station if not qualified in some way.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?

No, but it makes James Wilkinson's claim that they fall to bits not
true.

I know about 10 people locally with Dysons. 9 of them said they're ****
and that important parts fell off or seized up (usually the motor or
clutch fails catastrophically). The 1 that likes them has a husband who
is constantly repairing it! I saw it once, it was covered in tape and
clamps to hold it together. And it's only 4 years old.

How strange that everyone here has had the opposite effect.

Nope. My ex wife had two. Both broken. One I spent ~£40 and a day
repairing, and the other she traded for a working model of the same
vintage for £70.

I bought a 'Henry' for a ton. MUCH better machine.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/16 21:05, Tim Streater wrote:

Bod wrote:
Not when the motor fails, the clutch breaks, the handle falls off....
typical British quality, just like Rover.

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

With no repairs others than consumables? Perhaps they've improved their
quality.

We have a DC01, bought about 19 years ago, still working well. The
relative who recommended it to me still has his even older one, and it's
also still in regular use.

I didn't ship a 50's Hoover constellation home from S Africa in 1983
because it was too heavy. It still worked perfectly.

What have this to do with anything?

Let's face it, its a disgrace that Dysons have so many spare parts.
Back in the day all that wore out was the rotating brush, the rubber
belt, sometimes the bag, and the carbon brushes in the motor.

You mean that it's a disgrace that it's easy to buy spare parts?

Its so expensive to buy spare parts.

MY point was simple. 20 years is the expected lifespan of ANY vacuum,
not just a DieSoon, and the total lifetime cost of a DieSoon with all
the necessary repairs is WAY more then other machines.

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/16 22:29, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Friday, 23 September 2016 16:00:43 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
Perhaps it is just me, but 'the station' always means the railway
station to me. Any other station requires qualification.

David Bowie had an album called station to station maybe the drugs
confused him too.

Perhaps he had been playing trains with his mate Rod the Mod.

I always assumed that the album title referred to radio stations.

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential
survival, to indulging in navel gazing and faux moral investigations
into what the world ought to be, whilst we fail utterly to deal with
what it actually is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know about 10 people locally with Dysons. 9 of them said they're ****
and that important parts fell off or seized up (usually the motor or

I bought a 'Henry' for a ton. MUCH better machine.

I bought a Mercedes 1100 about 20 years ago, and it's still going strong.
Works so well I bought a second one for the tenants.

jgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?

No, but it makes James Wilkinson's claim that they fall to bits not
true.

Old Wilkie was talking cock. My Dyson (one of the original ones) went
for 20 years.

Yebut, don't forget, wilkie is PHucker.

Wasn't that a film *Meet the Phuckers* ? ;-)

Fortunately there is only one of him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Let's face it, its a disgrace that Dysons have so many spare parts. Back
in the day all that wore out was the rotating brush, the rubber belt,
sometimes the bag, and the carbon brushes in the motor.

You mean that it's a disgrace that it's easy to buy spare parts?

I found it odd that so much space was given over to them in a Curries.
Must be pretty fast moving to justify that amount of floor space.

--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
All this is bleeding obvious.

Well, yes, but if, for example, a pal said I'll meet you by the station,
I would just assume railway station. Perhaps I shouldn't. Having said
that, I have two pals who are police, and if they suggested meeting by
the station, I would assume police station, but only because I know
their occupations.

Not trying to argue - just saying that, to me, the station is the
railway station if not qualified in some way.

Could be Tim simply lives in the sticks. A visit to a railway station
being the highlight of his year.

If a pal said to me 'I'll meet you at the station' (and it was clear we
were going somewhere) I'd still have to ask 'tube or railway'

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Tim Streater
wrote:
Let's face it, its a disgrace that Dysons have so many spare parts.
Back in the day all that wore out was the rotating brush, the rubber
belt, sometimes the bag, and the carbon brushes in the motor.

You mean that it's a disgrace that it's easy to buy spare parts?

I found it odd that so much space was given over to them in a Curries.
Must be pretty fast moving to justify that amount of floor space.

or have a very "good" profit margin.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 07:58:07 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?

No, but it makes James Wilkinson's claim that they fall to bits not
true.

Old Wilkie was talking cock. My Dyson (one of the original ones) went
for 20 years.

Yebut, don't forget, wilkie is PHucker.

Wasn't that a film *Meet the Phuckers* ? ;-)

Fortunately there is only one of him.

There is/was a footballer by the same name.

--
The inside of a spider is under pressure, like the air in a balloon, because spiders move by pushing fluid through valves. They are hydraulic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:42:44 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
All this is bleeding obvious.

Well, yes, but if, for example, a pal said I'll meet you by the
station,
I would just assume railway station. Perhaps I shouldn't. Having
said that, I have two pals who are police, and if they suggested
meeting by the station, I would assume police station, but only
because I know their occupations.

Not trying to argue - just saying that, to me, the station is the
railway station if not qualified in some way.

Could be Tim simply lives in the sticks. A visit to a railway station
being the highlight of his year.

Why yes it is. Gosh Dave I'm impressed by your prescience: today I
visited stations at Hythe, Dymchurch, New Romney, and Dungeness. Now you
get to explain why it is unlikely that, if you board the train without a
ticket, this will be picked up on the train.

If a pal said to me 'I'll meet you at the station' (and it was clear we
were going somewhere) I'd still have to ask 'tube or railway'

I've looked all over Canterbury for the tube station, but without
success.

There used to be one in North Lane. The train went to Whitstable!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Could be Tim simply lives in the sticks. A visit to a railway station
being the highlight of his year.

Why yes it is. Gosh Dave I'm impressed by your prescience: today I
visited stations at Hythe, Dymchurch, New Romney, and Dungeness.

Checking on our defences against all those nasty Europeans, I assume?

Now
you get to explain why it is unlikely that, if you board the train
without a ticket, this will be picked up on the train.

Don't they have miniature conductors too?

If a pal said to me 'I'll meet you at the station' (and it was clear we
were going somewhere) I'd still have to ask 'tube or railway'

I've looked all over Canterbury for the tube station, but without
success.

In a one horse town everyone knows what that horse is. And explains your
little England mentality.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:58:41 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:42:44 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
[...]

Before my time old boy.

And before mine (well, it closed when I was two).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep 2016 17:25:30 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I've looked all over Canterbury for the tube station, but without
success.

There used to be one in North Lane. The train went to Whitstable!

Before my time old boy.

And before mine (well, it closed when I was two).

Went through the place a couple of times circa 1960 when I was about
5, Dad would do a bit of scenuc drive to appease Mother on the way to
Dungeness where the firm he worked for was doing some work on the
Dungeness A* Power station. They were still building the "New"
Lighthouse.

There was a 19th century loco used on the line kept by the side of the
road, a quick google shows it is destined for a museum in Canterbury,
it left the roadside location sometime ago.

* I spose it wasn't called A then.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

[...]

Far fewer problems than android users in fact.

In spades with Samsung users.

and just keep on coming back.

Because they have fewer problems than the alternatives do.

Morons....

Corse you didn't end up with 4 dysons yourself, eh ?