Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default "Plug socket"

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:52:13 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

Given I have a fire station, police station, tube station and rail station
all nearby, which one would it be 'obvious' to you 'they' meant?

Who was saying that and to whom were they saying it?

Perhaps it is just me, but 'the station' always means the railway
station to me. Any other station requires qualification.

Will depend a lot on where you live and if you use the train
occasionally, since the 1960's many areas of the country don't have a
railway station for miles and lots people under 50 have never been on
a train.
Someone living in some place like Clovelly could when they say "I'm
going down the station" mean they are off to lifeboat drill and their
neighbours would understand.

G.Harman