Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Semi OT : Exhaust bracket/hanger replacement

I know this isn't really a car newsgroup, but was hoping someone here might
be able to help.

Got an older Ford Focus (2000 model or thereabouts) Whilst underneath the
car today, I found that there's a bar, support bracket (call it what you
will) welded onto the central section of the exhaust (think its the
catalytic converter) which helps support the exhaust system.

Trouble is, one side of the bar has rusted off and is hanging loose. The
other side is hanging on by a very rusty thread (Ive uploaded a pic to some
webspace, see link below...)

http://tinyurl.com/gr2qzpp

I don't suppose there's a repair clamp available that could replace this, or
is it a case of paying the local garage to knock something up and weld it
on?

Having done a cursory google search, I've failed to turn up anything
particularly helpful on how to repair this.

Thanks in advance

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/31/2016 9:51 PM, Simon T wrote:
[...]

It's a failed weld, the hanger bar is still there. I'd have thought that
a *good* garage or exhaust centre would be able to weld it back
satisfactorily. They might actually replace the two sides with a single
piece of bar.

It's not a simple one to fudge yourself, but if you can bend some steel
strip you could put a standard U-bolt type exhaust clamp around the
pipe, attach the bent strip to the clamp, and poke the end back into the
rubber hanger. But you need to bend and twist the strip to the right
shape, ideally using standard blacksmith techniques.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-BOLT-HEA... SQS-EJ4noi7qg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2016 21:51, Simon T wrote:
[...]

Snap - 2001 ford focus.

I couldn't find and suitable bracket and 2 off garages didn't want to
weld to the back of the cat, or didn't want the job.

I bodged up a DIY bracket.

One of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Exhaust-clamps-Auto-U-Bolt-aerial-clamps-BZP-hose-clamps-29-102mm-/200968893242?var=&hash=item2ecaadf33a:m:m-ac6GcCSy5qKbktd06o3Pg

around the pipe and bolted to
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METAL-EXHAUST-HANGER-STRAP-24-600MM-LONG-HEAVY-DUTY-PERFORATED-METAL-STRIP-/152049512305?hash=item2366db6f71:g:jOEAAOSwIwhWS00 V

which was bent at both ends so that the holes lined up with the holes
in the rubber mounts. Any excess length cut off. Metal bent by placing
the bar in a vice at the bend line and hitting it with a hammer. Make a
cardboard template to get required size and angles.

On each side a coach bolt through the rubber mount and through a hole in
the bar and held at the bar end with a nylon insert nut (locking nuts).
An half inch or so of the coach bolts are free to move in the rubber
mounts - in much the same way as the original metal studs.

Luckily my local independent family run hardware store had the majority
of the items - in a shop where you wander around and pick the items out
of the bins - and where you can buy one offs and nails etc. by weight.

Complete PITA and you need the car on ramps or similar to gain enough
access.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/31/2016 11:02 PM, alan_m wrote:
[...]

Great minds think alike!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
Complete PITA and you need the car on ramps or similar to gain enough
access.

Unless you're doing this yourself from bits you already have, I suspect just
putting in a new cat is going to be easier and cheaper:

Randomly selected example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS...-/141604470993

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/1/2016 1:09 PM, Theo wrote:
alan_m wrote:
Complete PITA and you need the car on ramps or similar to gain enough
access.

Unless you're doing this yourself from bits you already have, I suspect just
putting in a new cat is going to be easier and cheaper:

Randomly selected example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS...-/141604470993

Theo

I was surprised how reasonable that price is. Don't think I have
replaced a Cat yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon T wrote:
Got an older Ford Focus (2000 model or thereabouts) Whilst underneath
the car today, I found that there's a bar, support bracket (call it
what you will) welded onto the central section of the exhaust (think
its the catalytic converter) which helps support the exhaust system.

Cats. are normally close to the engine as they need to heat up quickly.
Sure it's not just a silencer?

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message ...

Snap - 2001 ford focus.
I couldn't find and suitable bracket and 2 off garages didn't want to weld
to the back of the cat, or didn't want the job.
I bodged up a DIY bracket.

Thanks for that, I'll do a temporary bodge with some coat hanger wire or
something to get me by, whilst I see about procuring the parts you
suggested. :-)

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 September 2016 20:16:32 UTC+1, Simon T wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message ...

Snap - 2001 ford focus.
I couldn't find and suitable bracket and 2 off garages didn't want to weld
to the back of the cat, or didn't want the job.
I bodged up a DIY bracket.

Thanks for that, I'll do a temporary bodge with some coat hanger wire or
something to get me by, whilst I see about procuring the parts you
suggested. :-)

Coathanger exhaust fixes tend to be permanent in my world. Rubber loops might reduce noise some but they're hopeless reliability wise. Bull over substance as always.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message ...

Snap - 2001 ford focus.
I couldn't find and suitable bracket and 2 off garages didn't want to weld
to the back of the cat, or didn't want the job.
I bodged up a DIY bracket.

Thanks for that, I'll do a temporary bodge with some coat hanger wire or
something to get me by, whilst I see about procuring the parts you
suggested. :-)

Coathanger exhaust fixes tend to be permanent in my world. Rubber loops might reduce noise some but they're hopeless reliability wise. Bull over substance as always.

The rubber loop is there to prevent *fatigue* of the steel hangers.

If it causes more failures than it prevents it's counterproductive. The last car had them, and once I replaced the rubber bands with wire there were no more problems.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message ...

Snap - 2001 ford focus. I couldn't find and suitable bracket and 2
off garages didn't want to weld to the back of the cat, or didn't
want the job. I bodged up a DIY bracket.

Thanks for that, I'll do a temporary bodge with some coat hanger
wire or something to get me by, whilst I see about procuring the
parts you suggested. :-)

Coathanger exhaust fixes tend to be permanent in my world. Rubber
loops might reduce noise some but they're hopeless reliability wise.
Bull over substance as always.

The rubber loop is there to prevent *fatigue* of the steel hangers.

If it causes more failures than it prevents it's counterproductive. The
last car had them, and once I replaced the rubber bands with wire there
were no more problems.

Rubber hangers are there to help prevent noise and vibration being
transferred from the exhaust to car body. Wire ain't going to do that. And
will actually create noise as the exhaust moves around. You can buy
assorted sized rubber hangers in Halfords for about a quid each. They'll
last several years. Why on earth use anything worse?

--
*I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can't put it down.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 September 2016 12:29:42 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message ...

[...]

Indeed. The difference however is entirely trivial.

And
will actually create noise as the exhaust moves around.

Not often, and to a trivial degree.

You can buy
assorted sized rubber hangers in Halfords for about a quid each. They'll
last several years.

We lost a few per year, resulting in exhaust hanging down at risk of breaking.

Why on earth use anything worse?

Quite, hence I use wire. It's trouble free & doesn't kill exhausts.

Perhaps this is another newsgroup triviality that will develop into a huge long discussion with people vehement about both options, and Mr Speed writing long repetitive replies that only one person ever reads.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
You can buy assorted sized rubber hangers in Halfords for about a quid
each. They'll last several years.

We lost a few per year, resulting in exhaust hanging down at risk of
breaking.

Are you certain you were using the correct ones? If simply hangers, I've
found they last many years. On the aftermarket exhaust on my old Rover,
they are horizontal at the tail pipe, so under much more tension (and a
bugger to fit). But still have a decent life. The ones I'm talking about
are a good 1/2" in diameter rubber. The same ones used as hangers in the
middle of the exhaust have lasted many many years.

I'd not be surprised if an exhaust place fitted lighter gauge ones -
easier to stretch - but obviously shorter life too.

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message ...

Snap - 2001 ford focus.
I couldn't find and suitable bracket and 2 off garages didn't want to weld
to the back of the cat, or didn't want the job.
I bodged up a DIY bracket.

Thanks for that, I'll do a temporary bodge with some coat hanger wire or
something to get me by, whilst I see about procuring the parts you
suggested. :-)

Coathanger exhaust fixes tend to be permanent in my world. Rubber loops might reduce noise some but they're hopeless reliability wise. Bull over substance as always.

The rubber loop is there to prevent *fatigue* of the steel hangers.

If it causes more failures than it prevents it's counterproductive. The last car had them, and once I replaced the rubber bands with wire there were no more problems.

Even though I had the same problem it was the original exhaust on a
fifteen year old car. I doubt if the rubber mounts caused the problem.
One half of the hanger had rusted off and the other half was hanging on
by a piece of rusted metal around quarter of the original diameter. The
point of failure was at the weld to the exhaust pipe just behind the CAT.

There must be a good reason why millions of cars on the road have rubber
mounted exhausts rather than wire mounted exhausts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 September 2016 15:20:22 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 03/09/2016 11:30, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 2 September 2016 18:14:00 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

The rubber loop is there to prevent *fatigue* of the steel hangers.

If it causes more failures than it prevents it's counterproductive. The last car had them, and once I replaced the rubber bands with wire there were no more problems.

There must be a good reason why millions of cars on the road have rubber
mounted exhausts rather than wire mounted exhausts.

Lots of cash is spent on pointless junk on cars. Modern cars are all about a certain image of impression that to me means absolutely nothing. A sense of disconnection with the road, naff pretentions of style etc etc. Anyway, a rubber band is cheaper than a steel fixing plus slower assembly.

There's also always engineering pushing it a little too far to try to make progress. And it isn't the manufacturer's problem if the car has more issues later - indeed it tends to profit them.

FWIW I wish we could have the best of both worlds, the safety, economy and roadholding of today's cars without all the rubbish they fit like electric windows, remote control interior lights, bad attempts at styling and so on.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

I much prefer those, because I can do what I like with
them when driving along to get the result I want anytime.

remote control interior lights,

Also handy to have the interior light come on auto when
you walk up and unlock the car at night in an unlit area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Lots of cash is spent on pointless junk on cars. Modern cars are all
about a certain image of impression that to me means absolutely nothing.
A sense of disconnection with the road, naff pretentions of style etc
etc. Anyway, a rubber band is cheaper than a steel fixing plus slower
assembly.

Don't be silly. Even the very most expensive cars use insulating
suspension for the exhaust system.

You may not have noticed, but engines ain't bolted down either. The
exhaust is rigidly connected to the engine. If you bolt one down without
the other something would have to give...

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
FWIW I wish we could have the best of both worlds, the safety, economy
and roadholding of today's cars without all the rubbish they fit like
electric windows, remote control interior lights, bad attempts at
styling and so on.

I'd not like to go back to a car with manual windows. Which make it
difficult for the driver to open other than his own.

Remote control of interior lights? You mean remote unlocking, which
switches on the lights?

It's the improvement in vehicle electronics that not only improves the
engine efficiency, but makes such toys affordable. And if they are well
designed have a decent life too.

I bought one car used which would be described as fully loaded. The only
toy I found rather pointless was the memory electric seats and steering
column. Mainly because I was the only driver - it might well have been
handy on a car with more than one.

Pretty well all the others proved useful - even although I may not have
seen the point in them at first.

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

The first car I drove on a regular basis had a windscreen wiper in front of
the passenger as an optional extra.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 10:44:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I bought one car used which would be described as fully loaded. The only
toy I found rather pointless was the memory electric seats and steering
column. Mainly because I was the only driver - it might well have been
handy on a car with more than one.

Its one of the things I wish we had and will be on the list for the
next one, I often forget to check after the missus has been driving
and she has left the seat a long way forward, Unfortunately I can
longer fit in the same small gap she can.

Pretty well all the others proved useful - even although I may not have
seen the point in them at first.

Heated seats I left off the tick box when we specced the present car
as I had always thought them a bit superfluous in our climate,then one
morning got up with a back pain . A mate was taking us to the NEC for
the day and seeing the problem put the heat on, it felt great, I was
on the phone to our dealer and got the option added just before the
factory commenced assembly . The missus who sometimes has to start
work at 5 am thinks it one of the best things she has ever had in a
car as they are warm a good time before the heater.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 12:00:22 +0100, damduck-egg wrote:

Heated seats I left off the tick box when we specced the present car as
I had always thought them a bit superfluous in our climate,then one
morning got up with a back pain . A mate was taking us to the NEC for
the day and seeing the problem put the heat on, it felt great, I was on
the phone to our dealer and got the option added just before the factory
commenced assembly . The missus who sometimes has to start work at 5 am
thinks it one of the best things she has ever had in a car as they are
warm a good time before the heater.

I specced my car and had to wait a long time (4 months) as it was only
just starting production. It did mean I got a very good deal.

Along the way, they changed the base spec and added heated seats. I too
have back problems, and it is absolute bliss some mornings to be able to
have that heat.

I also ended up with other extras that were bundled with ones I
definitely wanted. I needed a rear camera because I have a neck problem
and no left eye; it came with a front camera too, with lane departure
warning and automatic speed limiting on recognising speed limit signs. I
also requested some other 'extra' and ended up with the semi automatic
'self parking'.

And although I didn't specifically want them, they are good to have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 00:24:48 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

Lots of cash is spent on pointless junk on cars. Modern cars are all
about a certain image of impression that to me means absolutely nothing.
A sense of disconnection with the road, naff pretentions of style etc
etc. Anyway, a rubber band is cheaper than a steel fixing plus slower
assembly.

Don't be silly.

I see

Even the very most expensive cars use insulating
suspension for the exhaust system.

and?

You may not have noticed, but engines ain't bolted down either.

They're mounted on rubber mouldings a bit like doughnuts. Prewar vehicles that have engines bolted to the chassis are much noisier as a result, the car body acts as a sounding board.

The
exhaust is rigidly connected to the engine.

Usually yes. I had one that had a ball joint in the exhaust near the engine.

If you bolt one down without
the other something would have to give...

I think you'll find we had rigidly mounted exhausts and rubbber mounted engines for decades. The exhaust system flexes. Modern rubber hung exhausts also flex, they don't follow every movement of the engine rigidly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 10:45:19 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

I've driven luxury cars heavily loaded and historic things without even a window winder handle. I'm perfectly happy with the latter, happier in fact. There's so much guff stuffed into modern cars that really achieves nothing that I can see but to pointlessly prise more money out of some. It doesn't interest me in the slightest.

One optional extra I would like is a floor. Having observed from a safe distance cars without, I'd like one.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2016 23:10, wrote:
FWIW I wish we could have the best of both worlds, the safety, economy and roadholding of today's cars without all the rubbish they fit like electric windows, remote control interior lights, bad attempts at styling and so on.

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/

(Someone at work has one. Security device is to bring the steering wheel
in to the office...)

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote
wrote

FWIW I wish we could have the best of both worlds, the safety, economy
and roadholding of today's cars without all the rubbish they fit like
electric windows, remote control interior lights, bad attempts at styling
and so on.

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/

(Someone at work has one. Security device is to bring the steering wheel
in to the office...)

Wouldnt stop this fella
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-0...-wheel/7812734
And that's where most of the immigrant poms ended up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 21:21:30 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote
tabbypurr wrote

FWIW I wish we could have the best of both worlds, the safety, economy
and roadholding of today's cars without all the rubbish they fit like
electric windows, remote control interior lights, bad attempts at styling
and so on.

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/

(Someone at work has one. Security device is to bring the steering wheel
in to the office...)

Wouldnt stop this fella
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-0...-wheel/7812734
And that's where most of the immigrant poms ended up.

Sorry to hear you got arrested.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message ...
Snap - 2001 ford focus.

I couldn't find and suitable bracket and 2 off garages didn't want to weld
to the back of the cat, or didn't want the job.
I bodged up a DIY bracket.

Quick update.

THANKYOU for the advice, exhaust is now fixed

http://tinyurl.com/zo6vwsx

Had to grind off the remnants of the existing bracket first mind, but it's
done now and no more annoying rattles at start up!

Thanks again!

:-)

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/16 17:37, Simon T wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message ...
Snap - 2001 ford focus.

I couldn't find and suitable bracket and 2 off garages didn't want to
weld to the back of the cat, or didn't want the job.
I bodged up a DIY bracket.

Quick update.

THANKYOU for the advice, exhaust is now fixed

http://tinyurl.com/zo6vwsx

Had to grind off the remnants of the existing bracket first mind, but
it's done now and no more annoying rattles at start up!

Thanks again!

:-)

Neat enough job really.

all women"