Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Semi OT : Exhaust bracket/hanger replacement

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 2 September 2016 18:14:00 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 9/1/2016 11:29 PM, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 1 September 2016 20:16:32 UTC+1, Simon T wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message ...

Snap - 2001 ford focus. I couldn't find and suitable bracket and 2
off garages didn't want to weld to the back of the cat, or didn't
want the job. I bodged up a DIY bracket.

Thanks for that, I'll do a temporary bodge with some coat hanger
wire or something to get me by, whilst I see about procuring the
parts you suggested. :-)

Coathanger exhaust fixes tend to be permanent in my world. Rubber
loops might reduce noise some but they're hopeless reliability wise.
Bull over substance as always.

The rubber loop is there to prevent *fatigue* of the steel hangers.

If it causes more failures than it prevents it's counterproductive. The
last car had them, and once I replaced the rubber bands with wire there
were no more problems.

Rubber hangers are there to help prevent noise and vibration being
transferred from the exhaust to car body. Wire ain't going to do that. And
will actually create noise as the exhaust moves around. You can buy
assorted sized rubber hangers in Halfords for about a quid each. They'll
last several years. Why on earth use anything worse?

--
*I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can't put it down.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.