Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Semi OT : Exhaust bracket/hanger replacement

On 31/08/2016 21:51, Simon T wrote:
I know this isn't really a car newsgroup, but was hoping someone here
might be able to help.

Got an older Ford Focus (2000 model or thereabouts) Whilst underneath
the car today, I found that there's a bar, support bracket (call it what
you will) welded onto the central section of the exhaust (think its the
catalytic converter) which helps support the exhaust system.

Trouble is, one side of the bar has rusted off and is hanging loose. The
other side is hanging on by a very rusty thread (Ive uploaded a pic to
some webspace, see link below...)

http://tinyurl.com/gr2qzpp

I don't suppose there's a repair clamp available that could replace
this, or is it a case of paying the local garage to knock something up
and weld it on?

Having done a cursory google search, I've failed to turn up anything
particularly helpful on how to repair this.

Thanks in advance

Snap - 2001 ford focus.

I couldn't find and suitable bracket and 2 off garages didn't want to
weld to the back of the cat, or didn't want the job.

I bodged up a DIY bracket.

One of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Exhaust-clamps-Auto-U-Bolt-aerial-clamps-BZP-hose-clamps-29-102mm-/200968893242?var=&hash=item2ecaadf33a:m:m-ac6GcCSy5qKbktd06o3Pg

around the pipe and bolted to
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METAL-EXHAUST-HANGER-STRAP-24-600MM-LONG-HEAVY-DUTY-PERFORATED-METAL-STRIP-/152049512305?hash=item2366db6f71:g:jOEAAOSwIwhWS00 V

which was bent at both ends so that the holes lined up with the holes
in the rubber mounts. Any excess length cut off. Metal bent by placing
the bar in a vice at the bend line and hitting it with a hammer. Make a
cardboard template to get required size and angles.

On each side a coach bolt through the rubber mount and through a hole in
the bar and held at the bar end with a nylon insert nut (locking nuts).
An half inch or so of the coach bolts are free to move in the rubber
mounts - in much the same way as the original metal studs.

Luckily my local independent family run hardware store had the majority
of the items - in a shop where you wander around and pick the items out
of the bins - and where you can buy one offs and nails etc. by weight.

Complete PITA and you need the car on ramps or similar to gain enough
access.