KOS

Default ceiling fan question- screws keep turning when trying to screw hanger bracket..

Hi, Im in the process of hanging a ceiling fan- replacing a broken
unit.

I am trying to install the hanger bracket to the outlet box. I have
noticed that as I turn both screws on the hanger bracket, they keep on
turning as I turn them, they dont lock in place. It appears, I believe
that the threads are the cause of this. Can someone give me some
advice? This is an older house- so Im not dealing with sheetrock but
plaster. I could I suppose remove the outlet box and put a new one in,
but is there an easier fix?

Thanks!
KOS

Rick

"KOS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, Im in the process of hanging a ceiling fan- replacing a broken
unit.

I am trying to install the hanger bracket to the outlet box. I have
noticed that as I turn both screws on the hanger bracket, they keep

on
turning as I turn them, they dont lock in place. It appears, I

believe
that the threads are the cause of this. Can someone give me some
advice? This is an older house- so Im not dealing with sheetrock but
plaster. I could I suppose remove the outlet box and put a new one

in,
but is there an easier fix?

Thanks!
KOS

Unless it's a box rated for hanging a fan, you need to replace it
anyway. Having said that, make sure you're using the correct sized
screws. 6-32 and 8-32 are close enough in diameter to confuse some
people...

RBM

The proper thing to do is use a fan support box. The Westinghouse 01100 is
made to go into existing ceilings through the four inch hole you already
have. these boxes use a 10/32 screw as opposed to an 8/32 of a lighting
outlet box. I believe this box is available at Home Depot
"KOS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, Im in the process of hanging a ceiling fan- replacing a broken
unit.

I am trying to install the hanger bracket to the outlet box. I have
noticed that as I turn both screws on the hanger bracket, they keep on
turning as I turn them, they dont lock in place. It appears, I believe
that the threads are the cause of this. Can someone give me some
advice? This is an older house- so Im not dealing with sheetrock but
plaster. I could I suppose remove the outlet box and put a new one in,
but is there an easier fix?

Thanks!
KOS

KOS

the box that is in there now can support a ceiling fan.. I do have the
correct size screw10/32... would some type of nut or washer do the
trick? or is it best to replace with a new fan support box?
Thanks again

RBM

If you've already got a fan box. The 10/32 screws should work. Some types of
fan boxes have the threaded taps through the back of the box so you need
long screws to reach them. If you can't get them tight, I'd replace the box
"KOS" wrote in message
oups.com...
the box that is in there now can support a ceiling fan.. I do have the
correct size screw10/32... would some type of nut or washer do the
trick? or is it best to replace with a new fan support box?
Thanks again

meirman

In alt.home.repair on 17 Jul 2005 20:45:06 -0700 "KOS"
posted:

the box that is in there now can support a ceiling fan.. I do have the
correct size screw10/32... would some type of nut or washer do the
trick? or is it best to replace with a new fan support box?
Thanks again

If you're going into a hole with a bottom, and not a piece of sheet
metal, and you've reached the threads but it doesnt' grab, stuff a
wooden match stick or toothpick in the hole, hold it in, and break it
off when you're screw is in far enough.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether