Mike

Default ceiling fan and switch question

I replaced the switch in room with a ceiling fan and it's acting a
little weird now. The orginal switch was a dimmer and it dimmed the
light but the fan worked as it should. I replaced the dimmer and now it
"dims" the fan and the light. So I can adjust the fan speed along with
the lighting but when the light is bright, the fan sounds like its
about to create a hurricane in the bedroom. I am sure this isn't good
for the fan motor. I can adjust the fan speeds with the chain pull also
which helps keep the speed down. The old switch only had two wires
connected and so does the new one so I assume I got the same type of
switch. Does anyone know what I need to do to correct this problem?

Thanks

SQLit

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
I replaced the switch in room with a ceiling fan and it's acting a
little weird now. The orginal switch was a dimmer and it dimmed the
light but the fan worked as it should. I replaced the dimmer and now it
"dims" the fan and the light. So I can adjust the fan speed along with
the lighting but when the light is bright, the fan sounds like its
about to create a hurricane in the bedroom. I am sure this isn't good
for the fan motor. I can adjust the fan speeds with the chain pull also
which helps keep the speed down. The old switch only had two wires
connected and so does the new one so I assume I got the same type of
switch. Does anyone know what I need to do to correct this problem?

Thanks

Only two wires on the old switch, and two on the new. Sounds like the old
switch was mated to something in the fan that allowed for operation "as it
should".

Not knowing what you had and what you replaced it with I know of no way to
help you.

Bobby_M

It sounds to me like two hots actually run from the switch location to
the fan. One is connected to the light and one to the fan motor. Only
the light should be switched at the wall. You probably tied them
together in the switchbox just after the switch.

Charlie Bress

The problem you have is that the fan and light are on the same controller.
The fan doesn't like that.. With the wiring you have that is all you can do.
But there is a way out. Check HD Lowes etc. for a remote control. I put in
two of them a half dozen years go.
With these you get independent control of the fan and the light with no
additional wiring. When I got mine they came in two styles. one has a hand
held remote, the other remote fits in the original switch box.

Charlie

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
I replaced the switch in room with a ceiling fan and it's acting a
little weird now. The orginal switch was a dimmer and it dimmed the
light but the fan worked as it should. I replaced the dimmer and now it
"dims" the fan and the light. So I can adjust the fan speed along with
the lighting but when the light is bright, the fan sounds like its
about to create a hurricane in the bedroom. I am sure this isn't good
for the fan motor. I can adjust the fan speeds with the chain pull also
which helps keep the speed down. The old switch only had two wires
connected and so does the new one so I assume I got the same type of
switch. Does anyone know what I need to do to correct this problem?

Thanks

Mike

I replaced an old dimmer that was on there for 10+ years. Two wires
were coming out of the old one so I bought one that was set up the same
way. I changed nothing in the switch box or wiring. This house is 26
years old and this is the way it has been for a long long time but the
old dimmer didnt do this. strange. I may just go put a regular switch
on it.