Ray

Default Extending electrical box on ceiling fixtures??

O.K. all you electrical code experts.....
I am installing a ceiling which will have a surface 2 1/2" beneath
the existing ceiling. (It's a soundproof deal).

I want to keep the ceiling fixtures so I have to do something about
getting a box level with the new ceiling. The only "bocx extenders" I
have found are 1.5" and twinning two of them to the existing ceiling
box will extend the box below the new ceiling and perhaps leave me
short on wire. The BX cable in the ceiling is too tight for me to pull
more into the box. I believe that electrical code prohibits me from
converting the ceiling box into a junction box and simply wiring down
to a new ceiling box. (Isn't there something in the national code that
prohibits "burying a box in a ceiling or wall?")

Sooo my one option is to take apart some of the old ceiling, raising
the existing box 1/2" then adding 2 extenders and pigtailing if I need
more length. This is a major hassel.

Anyone have any other ideas??

Thanks in advance.
Ray

If responding by email, please take "thetrash" out of the email reply
address.
Colbyt

"Ray" wrote in message
news
[...]

I am not positive on the code but I believe that you can extend the wire
within the same box and it is fine. Doesn't even count as an extra wire in
the box. Wire length problem solved.

Use a single box extension and 1-3 plaster rings ( a thinner box extension).
I think they are 1/2" each. I also think they only come in round so this
may or may not solve your problem.

You might also be able to buy the extenders in plastic and cut the extra
1/2" off. It is not fun but it can be done.

--
Colbyt
Remove " stopspam." from the email address to reply via email

frank-in-toronto

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:42:46 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
news
[...]

i'm not so sure. marr connectors count. so unless you tape the
connections, you'd better count.
....thehick
John Grabowski

If it is a 4" round or octagonal box, use the 1 1/2" extension collar and
purchase a 1" light ring (Raco #732) to bring it flush with the ceiling.
The finished mounting ears will be 2 1/4" on center.

If it is a 4" square box, use the 1 1/2 " extension collar and purchase a
Raco #757 1" light ring. The finished mounting ears will be 2 3/4" on
center.

You'll most likely have to go to an electrical supply house to purchase
these items. 1" is an odd size for most home improvement stores to stock.

news