Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default buying a brand new car

In article ,
wrote:
You'll normally get a far better deal buying privately. Of course it
means knowing what you're doing or taking someone that does.

Hmm. These days so many used cars are sold privately via Ebay etc, and
sellers seem to think it's ok to lie through their teeth. As that's
what they've seen others do on Ebay.

Of course. So what?

You choose any car you may want to look at by the description. And if that
is very misleading, you've wasted your time going to look at it. It seems
to be far more common to lie about such things now than was once the case.

If it's a common car I'd rather buy from a reputable auction. They
can't really make claims which are false. And you should get it at the
lower end price wise.

Not much possibility to check it out.

Plenty - short of driving it. You can check it being driven into the ring.
And any major faults have usually got to be disclosed. The much lower
price should allow for any minor niggles to be sorted.

Buying any used car is a bit of a minefield, though.

Like anything in life it's a gamble. Accept it upfront and maximise your
odds. That does not mean going to a used car garage

That may give you a wide range of the sort of car you want. And be able to
get rid of the old one in one go. Depending on where you live, of course.

--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2016 21:58, Rod Speed wrote:

But why are they selling a nearly car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and
then they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But why are they selling a nearly new car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and then
they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

I don’t believe that they are actually silly enough to
buy a new car just to avoid paying for the first service.

Harry's story is more plausible, fools who find that they can
no longer make the payments. Not necessarily just fools either
with those who lose their job just after signing up for a new car.

I did come across someone who had to sell the car without
that many miles on it, just because the wife hated it.

My back neighbour has just sold her quite new car just because
she decided she feels safer in what the yanks call the small SUVs.
Mad IMO but that did provide a very good value car for someone
else I know just as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 02:03, Rod Speed wrote:
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But why are they selling a nearly new car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and
then they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

I don’t believe that they are actually silly enough to
buy a new car just to avoid paying for the first service.

You know little about the motor trade.

If a manufacturer wants to promote its car sales, like a newly released
car, it will typically offload these into the non-domestic / non-fleet
market to get numbers up. Namely to hire car companies and lease companies.

Whether a hire company sells a car or not is down to pure economics,
they may even make a profit on a sale at an auction on a 6 month old car.

Harry's story is more plausible, fools who find that they can
no longer make the payments. Not necessarily just fools either
with those who lose their job just after signing up for a new car.

Yes those as well. Also lemons that a hire company can ill afford to keep.

I did come across someone who had to sell the car without
that many miles on it, just because the wife hated it.

My back neighbour has just sold her quite new car just because
she decided she feels safer in what the yanks call the small SUVs.
Mad IMO but that did provide a very good value car for someone
else I know just as well.

They are the exceptions rather than the rule.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But why are they selling a nearly new car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and
then they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

I don’t believe that they are actually silly enough to
buy a new car just to avoid paying for the first service.

You know little about the motor trade.

We'll see...

If a manufacturer wants to promote its car sales, like a newly released
car, it will typically offload these into the non-domestic / non-fleet
market to get numbers up. Namely to hire car companies and lease
companies.

If that was common you'd see lots of newly released
cars available for car hire, and you don’t.

Lease companys lease what end users choose to buy car wise.

Whether a hire company sells a car or not is down to pure economics,

Yes. But they arent going to sell a hardly used car before
the first service to avoid paying for the first service.

they may even make a profit on a sale at an auction on a 6 month old car.

But would make more profit if they kept the car for longer
because they wouldn’t have to buy a replacement.

We did in fact see the work cars turned over at a fairly high rate,
usually after 2-3 years, because they were a govt operation that
didn’t have to pay the sales tax on the new vehicles and so could
sell them for more than they paid for them to buyers who did
have to pay the sales tax on the transaction, but they didn’t
turn them over say every 3 months because of the paperwork
involved in turning the cars over at such a high rate.

Harry's story is more plausible, fools who find that they can
no longer make the payments. Not necessarily just fools either
with those who lose their job just after signing up for a new car.

Yes those as well. Also lemons that a hire company can ill afford to keep.

But those last are certainly not worth buying instead of a new car.

I did come across someone who had to sell the car without
that many miles on it, just because the wife hated it.

My back neighbour has just sold her quite new car just because she
decided she feels safer in what the yanks call the small SUVs. Mad IMO
but that did provide a very good value car for someone else I know just
as well.

They are the exceptions rather than the rule.

There is no rule with almost new cars being sold with few miles on them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 15 August 2016 02:31:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Fredxxx wrote

You know little about the motor trade.

We'll see...

We saw a very long time ago.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 14/08/2016 21:58, Rod Speed wrote:

But why are they selling a nearly car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and
then they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

They must get some discount on the new price to make this economical. As
the largest depreciation is in the first year. Far more than the total of
a service and second year depreciation, I'd say. Unless their customers
insist on a less than one year old car.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxxx wrote:
If a manufacturer wants to promote its car sales, like a newly released
car, it will typically offload these into the non-domestic / non-fleet
market to get numbers up. Namely to hire car companies and lease
companies.

That all depends. If it is a new model, and very well reviewed by the
press, etc, demand can exceed supply, at least for some time. And only a
stupid maker would discount under those circumstances.

Of course it doesn't happen with every new model. Especially those that
are merely a facelift.

--
*DOES THE LITTLE MERMAID WEAR AN ALGEBRA?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 02:30, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

We do, this is a UK group and your experiences elsewhere are a little
unhelpful.

Lease companys lease what end users choose to buy car wise.

Customers are also enticed by price.

Whether a hire company sells a car or not is down to pure economics,

Yes. But they arent going to sell a hardly used car before
the first service to avoid paying for the first service.

Agree, except in some cases the cost is swallowed by the manufavturer.

they may even make a profit on a sale at an auction on a 6 month old car.

But would make more profit if they kept the car for longer
because they wouldn’t have to buy a replacement.

That really depends on the price they paid, as I've already said that
could be lower than sale price. There is also an issue with high mileage
cars, not a problem if they are sold early in their life.

We did in fact see the work cars turned over at a fairly high rate,
usually after 2-3 years, because they were a govt operation that
didn’t have to pay the sales tax on the new vehicles and so could
sell them for more than they paid for them to buyers who did
have to pay the sales tax on the transaction, but they didn’t
turn them over say every 3 months because of the paperwork
involved in turning the cars over at such a high rate.

Harry's story is more plausible, fools who find that they can
no longer make the payments. Not necessarily just fools either
with those who lose their job just after signing up for a new car.

Yes those as well. Also lemons that a hire company can ill afford to
keep.

But those last are certainly not worth buying instead of a new car.

?????

I did come across someone who had to sell the car without
that many miles on it, just because the wife hated it.

My back neighbour has just sold her quite new car just because she
decided she feels safer in what the yanks call the small SUVs. Mad
IMO but that did provide a very good value car for someone else I
know just as well.

They are the exceptions rather than the rule.

There is no rule with almost new cars being sold with few miles on them.

Is this a riddle?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
wrote just the puerile ****
you'd expect from a desperately cowering gutless ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 02:03, Rod Speed wrote:
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But why are they selling a nearly new car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and
then they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

I don’t believe that they are actually silly enough to
buy a new car just to avoid paying for the first service.

Just go to the Hertz (rent2buy) site where they are selling off hundreds
2015 ex rental cars with 25K miles on the clock

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But why are they selling a nearly car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and
then they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

They must get some discount on the new price to make this economical.

Hard to see that it is economical whatever discount they get.

As the largest depreciation is in the first year. Far more than
the total of a service and second year depreciation, I'd say.

Yep, the numbers just don’t add up.

What he is suggesting is that they get such a big discount
that they can sell the car at auction etc for more than they
paid for it which seems very unlikely is possible in the first
year and those cars are unlikely to have very low mileage
with a hire car company anyway unless it’s a dud that
can't find many to hire their cars and that is why they
are getting rid of the cars so quickly after buying them.

Unless their customers insist on a less than one year old car.

Seems unlikely that very many customers inspect the compliance
plate and reject if its not less than a one year old car. And even
if some do, those cars wouldn’t have low mileage on them
if they are sold just before they are year old.

Harry's story about those who can't make the payments
sounds much more likely to be the main source of very
low mileage almost new cars, but I doubt there are
really all that many too stupid to get themselves into
that situation, or very unlucky employment wise etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

We do,

I don’t believe it.

this is a UK group and your experiences elsewhere are a little unhelpful.

It is completely trivial to check what cars are available to hire there.

Lease companys lease what end users choose to buy car wise.

Customers are also enticed by price.

But you don’t see the car manufacturers aggressively discounting
their flash new car to get the numbers on the roads up.

Whether a hire company sells a car or not is down to pure economics,

Yes. But they arent going to sell a hardly used car before
the first service to avoid paying for the first service.

Agree, except in some cases the cost is swallowed by the manufavturer.

Yes, it was with my Hyundai. But that makes it even less
likely that anyone will be selling the almost new car
before the first service they have to pay for themselves.

they may even make a profit on a sale at an auction on a 6 month old
car.

But would make more profit if they kept the car for longer
because they wouldn’t have to buy a replacement.

That really depends on the price they paid, as I've already said that
could be lower than sale price.

I don’t believe that happens given the biggest drop in the value
of the car is when it is first driven out of the showroom etc.

There is also an issue with high mileage cars, not a problem if they are
sold early in their life.

Those arent the ones being discussed, we are discussing
almost new cars with very low miles on them. I just don’t
believe that the hire car industry sells many of those to the
general public to avoid paying for any service on the car
because the cost of a service is much lower than the big
drop in value of the car as it first leaves the showroom,
even if it has been very aggressively discounted by the
car manufacturer to get a new model out on the street
in significant numbers.

We did in fact see the work cars turned over at a fairly high rate,
usually after 2-3 years, because they were a govt operation that
didn’t have to pay the sales tax on the new vehicles and so could
sell them for more than they paid for them to buyers who did
have to pay the sales tax on the transaction, but they didn’t
turn them over say every 3 months because of the paperwork
involved in turning the cars over at such a high rate.

Harry's story is more plausible, fools who find that they can
no longer make the payments. Not necessarily just fools either
with those who lose their job just after signing up for a new car.

Yes those as well. Also lemons that a hire company can ill afford to
keep.

But those last are certainly not worth buying instead of a new car.

?????

The last thing anyone wants to buy is a lemon that isnt
getting fixed under warranty by the car manufacturer.

They would be a lot better off buying a different copy of
the car, a non lemon, from the car dealer with full warranty.

I did come across someone who had to sell the car without
that many miles on it, just because the wife hated it.

My back neighbour has just sold her quite new car just because she
decided she feels safer in what the yanks call the small SUVs. Mad IMO
but that did provide a very good value car for someone else I know just
as well.

They are the exceptions rather than the rule.

There is no rule with almost new cars being sold with few miles on them.

Is this a riddle?

Even you should be able to manage better than that pathetic effort.

Obviously not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Seems unlikely that very many customers inspect the compliance

plate and reject if its not less than a one year old car.

As if anyone was in doubt.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 20:47, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

That's right, a new car that hasn't be a hire car for long won't have
many miles on it, will it?

I just don’t
believe that the hire car industry sells many of those to the
general public to avoid paying for any service on the car
because the cost of a service is much lower than the big
drop in value of the car as it first leaves the showroom,
even if it has been very aggressively discounted by the
car manufacturer to get a new model out on the street
in significant numbers.

You don't have to believe anything that is more believable that some
mystical being in the sky people pray to.

[...]

How would a customer know?

I did come across someone who had to sell the car without
that many miles on it, just because the wife hated it.

My back neighbour has just sold her quite new car just because she
decided she feels safer in what the yanks call the small SUVs. Mad
IMO but that did provide a very good value car for someone else I
know just as well.

They are the exceptions rather than the rule.

There is no rule with almost new cars being sold with few miles on them.

Is this a riddle?

Even you should be able to manage better than that pathetic effort.

Obviously not.

Perhaps explain where "There is no rule with almost new cars being sold
with few miles on them" came from, when we were discussing hire cars
that would have more than a "few miles" on the clock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 14/08/2016 21:58, Rod Speed wrote:

But why are they selling a nearly car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and
then they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

They must get some discount on the new price to make this economical. As
the largest depreciation is in the first year. Far more than the total of
a service and second year depreciation, I'd say. Unless their customers
insist on a less than one year old car.

They get a huge discount, have a look at post 7 here and it will show
how ignorant Rod is.

http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk/...-money.158716/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But why are they selling a nearly new car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and
then they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

I don’t believe that they are actually silly enough to
buy a new car just to avoid paying for the first service.

Just go to the Hertz (rent2buy) site where they are selling off hundreds
2015 ex rental cars with 25K miles on the clock

Those arent anything even remotely like nearly new cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Seems unlikely that very many customers inspect the compliance
plate and reject if its not less than a one year old car.

Says he carefully and flagrantly dishonestly deleting from the
quoting where that was clearly talking about HIRING A CAR.

As if anyone was in doubt.

That you are a flagrantly dishonest desperately cowering gutless puerile
****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Those don’t get sold by the hire car companys.

There is no point in doing that.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

[...]

Never said they can, that was why I was saying that buying
a low mileage almost new car is a real risk because it may
be one of those and there is no easy to way to work out if
it is one of those when deciding which one to buy.

I did come across someone who had to sell the car without
that many miles on it, just because the wife hated it.

My back neighbour has just sold her quite new car just because she
decided she feels safer in what the yanks call the small SUVs. Mad
IMO but that did provide a very good value car for someone else I
know just as well.

They are the exceptions rather than the rule.

There is no rule with almost new cars being sold with few miles on
them.

Is this a riddle?

Even you should be able to manage better than that pathetic effort.

Obviously not.

Perhaps explain where "There is no rule with almost new cars being sold
with few miles on them" came from, when we were discussing hire cars that
would have more than a "few miles" on the clock.

"almost new cars being sold with few miles on them" was what was originally
being discussed when alan showed up with his stuff about hire cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 14/08/2016 21:58, Rod Speed wrote:

But why are they selling a nearly car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and
then they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

They must get some discount on the new price to make this economical. As
the largest depreciation is in the first year. Far more than the total of
a service and second year depreciation, I'd say. Unless their customers
insist on a less than one year old car.

They get a huge discount, have a look at post 7 here and it will show how
ignorant Rod is.

http://www.thewholesaleforums.co.uk/...-money.158716/

Like hell it does. A buyback by the manufacturer is nothing even remotely
like what
we are discussing. Those arent anything even remotely like NEARLY NEW CARS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 August 2016 10:50:24 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount. Is it
simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

I think you need to be clear from the outset on the type of purchase you
want. If you do know this. If you tell them it will be a cash deal )with
or without trade in) they likely won't bother trying to sell you a lease
or HP etc deal. Any salesman will be out to maximise his commission. But
not spend time on doing things he knows he can't sell to you.

Some people buy a new car every year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Seems unlikely that very many customers inspect the compliance
plate and reject if its not less than a one year old car.

Says he carefully and flagrantly dishonestly deleting from the
quoting where that was clearly talking about HIRING A CAR.

whoosh!

As if anyone was in doubt.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

at one time, very low mileage "almost new cars" appeared from the Channel
Istands car rental firme.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"bm" Wrote in message:

"Broadback" wrote in message
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Drive the deal is quite good -
https://www.drivethedeal.com/
I saved ~£3k5
When I collected the car the guy would have done the same deal without DTD.
Actually, I could have saved a couple of hundred more, i.e, the dealer pays
DVD a couple of hundred for the business.

Mmm sounds like dealer sour grapes to me :-)
He's hardly going to offer the same deal out "to anyone" is he?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Seems unlikely that very many customers inspect the compliance
plate and reject if its not less than a one year old car.

Says he carefully and flagrantly dishonestly deleting from the
quoting where that was clearly talking about HIRING A CAR.

whoosh!

You never could bull**** and lie your way out of a wet paper bag, gutless.

As if anyone was in doubt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 August 2016 10:07:02 UTC+1, jim wrote:
"bm" Wrote in message:
"Broadback" wrote in message

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Drive the deal is quite good -
https://www.drivethedeal.com/
I saved ~£3k5
When I collected the car the guy would have done the same deal without DTD.
Actually, I could have saved a couple of hundred more, i.e, the dealer pays
DVD a couple of hundred for the business.

Mmm sounds like dealer sour grapes to me :-)
He's hardly going to offer the same deal out "to anyone" is he?

Salesman being prepared to go that low and the customer knowing they will and wrapping up the deal at that point are 2 different things.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message
"bm" Wrote in message:

"Broadback" wrote in message
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Drive the deal is quite good -
https://www.drivethedeal.com/
I saved ~£3k5
When I collected the car the guy would have done the same deal without
DTD.
Actually, I could have saved a couple of hundred more, i.e, the dealer
pays
DVD a couple of hundred for the business.

Mmm sounds like dealer sour grapes to me :-)
He's hardly going to offer the same deal out "to anyone" is he?

He told me he'd do the same deal without DTD. He'd come off better due to
not paying DTD for their pointer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"jim" k wrote in message
"bm" Wrote in message:

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Dealer in late 2014 was W R Davies Ford Newtown Powys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"bm" Wrote in message:
"Broadback" wrote in message

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Drive the deal is quite good -
https://www.drivethedeal.com/
I saved ~£3k5
When I collected the car the guy would have done the same deal without DTD.
Actually, I could have saved a couple of hundred more, i.e, the dealer pays
DVD a couple of hundred for the business.

Mmm sounds like dealer sour grapes to me :-)
He's hardly going to offer the same deal out "to anyone" is he?

Salesman being prepared to go that low and the customer knowing they will and wrapping up the deal at that point are 2 different things.

NT

Wot I said.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"bm" Wrote in message:

"jim" k wrote in message
"bm" Wrote in message:

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Course he did, course he would.... ;-) ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

"Discount"! They are discussing discounts without you asking?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

--
Adrian C

No it's not

you go to Comparethemarket.com (other websites available)

and 100s of "bottom line prices" will be offered to you

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/16 11:17, Broadback wrote:
On 13/08/2016 11:00, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price,
but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there
has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse.
VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but
nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

Isn't there enough advertising and spec of theirs online.

FWIW we bought a new Polo online through 'Drive The Deal', not a bad
discount at the time without having to talk to sales people. It was
delivered from a VW dealer, faultless. Mind ye, this was 13 years ago.

https://www.drivethedeal.com/

Not a new car trader but if ye fancy some fun distraction, this chinese
lady pitched up at Dragon's Den and told them where to go... Which made
great (set up) TV.

http://www.lingscars.com/

Why is there a different price based upon annual mileage?

This deal does not include servicing so none of the costs are mileage based,
so all that the mileage affects is the resale price, which is normally
solved by charging an "over mileage fee" at the end.

this has to be better for everyone as you don't have to guess how many miles
you might do

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Broadback
writes
On 13/08/2016 11:00, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price,
but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there
has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse.
VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but
nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

One of the worst examples of an online function

Oh I do so hate those web pages that insist you read an online leaflet like
it is a book

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 13/08/2016 11:17, Broadback wrote:
I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there
has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse.
VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but
nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

Funny that, I've never bought a new car. My wife's is the only one we've
ever bought new. In 1999... and still going, not bad for a cheap shopping
trolley thingy! My current car is 15 years old and just on 130,000 miles.
Bought 2nd hand a year old for just over half list price.

you were lucky

whenever I have looked at nearly new cars the sticker price is only slightly
below new price, with less negotiation over a discount available

I guess that this is a regional thing

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:57:30 +0100, Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Have a look at some of the motoring magazines which will put you in touch
with brokers who buy in bulk to get fleet discounts. Many of them will
register you as first owner too.

What Car and, I think, AutoExpress also list 'best deal' prices to aim

I tried that at the local Hyundai dealer - they were having none of it.
Even for a car off the forecourt that they knew wasn't the spec that I
wanted. List price or no sale!

for and if you can't achieve it will then put you in touch with a
broker. Or so they used to claim.

They offered me a price but then couldn't find a dealer to supply at that
price

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 11:13, tim... wrote:

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Of course they are unwilling to tell you the lowest price they will
accept! Their bonus is dependent on the amount they get you to pay.

Errr... The bottom line price is only offered to you at the point where
you are about to walk out of the showroom without them making a sale.

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

No it's not

you go to Comparethemarket.com (other websites available)

and 100s of "bottom line prices" will be offered to you

Not always the cheapest one that you could get by talking directly to a
good insurance broker though. Having an idea of the results from such a
comparison ssite avoid expensive mistakes during renewal.

Likewise with mobile phone contracts. Unless you are talking to customer
retention when up for renewal you will pay through the nose. It is
amusing to probe for the walk away price when intending to leave. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Five years ago I used drivethedeal, you spec the car, they trawl round
dealers to find who will give you the best price, you never see or speak
to a salesman. I've seen a newer service carwow advertised on TV.

I looked at one of these and the problem as I saw it was that, according to
the blurb, the car was "driven" not "trucked" to your location.

I suspect that the best deals to be had on cars come from dealers in the
more "depressed" parts of the country op norf and living, as I do, in the
far SE corner of the country, that would put an awful lot of miles on the
clock before I got it (driven, no doubt, by some speed merchant who doesn't
give a damn about the car)

Presumably august is still a bad month for buying?

That was my problem ;-)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Capitol
writes
Andrew wrote:
On 13/08/2016 12:47, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to lease
the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

In the UK, I always buy nearly new. The last one had done 900
miles.

My last one was ex-demonstrator, never been out the showroom and 10 miles
on the clock. - Land Rover Defender in a Birmingham dealership!!

My hyundai dealer were selling demonstrator at list

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to lease
the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

In the UK, I always buy nearly new. The last one had done 900
miles.

But why are they selling a nearly car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

I've never understood it either

Oh dear, agreeing with Wodney, I better go for a lie down

tim