Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default buying a brand new car

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2016 11:00, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there
has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse.
VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but
nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:57:30 +0100, Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Have a look at some of the motoring magazines which will put you in touch
with brokers who buy in bulk to get fleet discounts. Many of them will
register you as first owner too.

What Car and, I think, AutoExpress also list 'best deal' prices to aim
for and if you can't achieve it will then put you in touch with a
broker. Or so they used to claim.

Use that as your starting point and negotiate around that THEN negotiate
the value of your part exchange (if you have one). Don't get pushed ito
letting the salesman wrap it all up into one UNLESS you are good at doing
quick calculations in your head so you can cary the different margins
with you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

If you know exactly what you want there are websites where you enter
what you want and dealers make offers to you.
Never used it but it might be an interesting exercise especially if you
swap a couple of digits in your phone no to start with and use a
disposable email addy just in case..
Carwow and drive the deal are two such.
Is an EU import still worth doing? maybe not with the exchange rate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Five years ago I used drivethedeal, you spec the car, they trawl round
dealers to find who will give you the best price, you never see or speak
to a salesman. I've seen a newer service carwow advertised on TV.

Presumably august is still a bad month for buying?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 11:35:10 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive.

Five years ago I used drivethedeal, you spec the car, they trawl round
dealers to find who will give you the best price, you never see or speak
to a salesman. I've seen a newer service carwow advertised on TV.

Presumably august is still a bad month for buying?

Not necessarily - its toward the end of the 6 month for Reg changes so a
good deal may be obtainable for an August delivery rather than a
September one. Further down the line when you come to sell, the
difference in value due to the 'old' letters on the plate is more than
offset by the savings made initially.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Broadback" wrote in message
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2016 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Use the interweb. I got the best deal on my van & it came from Hull!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves to
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback writes:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Same here. I buy new, but keep for ~10 years, so I don't buy that often.
I found dealing with the car salesman very unplesent.

Ford sent me a routine questionare afterwards where I made my views
very clear, and they followed up my responses (8 years ago) saying
they were introducing a process to buy a car directly without going
through the sales force, but I haven't looked to see what that is.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/16 11:17, Broadback wrote:
On 13/08/2016 11:00, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there
has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse.
VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but
nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

Isn't there enough advertising and spec of theirs online.

FWIW we bought a new Polo online through 'Drive The Deal', not a bad
discount at the time without having to talk to sales people. It was
delivered from a VW dealer, faultless. Mind ye, this was 13 years ago.

https://www.drivethedeal.com/

Not a new car trader but if ye fancy some fun distraction, this chinese
lady pitched up at Dragon's Den and told them where to go... Which made
great (set up) TV.

http://www.lingscars.com/

The internet (well, netscape navigator) was made for her. She is a self
professed database programmer and came over as barking ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

VW do not have brochures but send en email with details

Seem to have PDFs online ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 14:32:40 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[...]

When I first clapped eyes on that web page, I was somewhat taken aback.
Obviously, those on dial up need not apply. However, after scrolling
through the whole page... and then back to the top, I could start to
appreciate the effort that had gone into its parodying *everything* (it
seems to me) that's wrong with "The Internet". The closer you look at its
content, the more you can appreciate it as a kiche work of art. It's got
just about everything, even a cat and a dog! :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 13 August 2016 14:17:54 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Broadback writes:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Same here. I buy new, but keep for ~10 years, so I don't buy that often.
I found dealing with the car salesman very unplesent.

Ford sent me a routine questionare afterwards where I made my views
very clear, and they followed up my responses (8 years ago) saying
they were introducing a process to buy a car directly without going
through the sales force, but I haven't looked to see what that is.

I buy around a year old and sell when I get a bad feeling about the car. Never buy a car off of me!
Dunno if my feelings will work for electric cars.

This IMV is the most financially efficient way of doing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PAJ PAJ is offline

Bought a new golf earlier this year - Carwow saved me over £3.5K. The great thing is that is was through my normal dealer and because they sign up for the service you don't have to haggle. Part ex offer was lousy though so sold it independently. I even got a £20 Amazon voucher from Carwow for using the service.
Also check out drive the deal and orange wheels who offer similar services.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2016 12:47, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves to
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2016 14:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Broadback writes:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Same here. I buy new, but keep for ~10 years, so I don't buy that often.
I found dealing with the car salesman very unplesent.

even worse is dealing with a 2nd hand car salesman.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback writes:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen
strangely obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom
line price, but tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other
discount. Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the
same problem?

Same here. I buy new, but keep for ~10 years, so I don't buy that
often. I found dealing with the car salesman very unplesent.

even worse is dealing with a 2nd hand car salesman.

when I went hunting for a new car just over 3 years ago, it was amazing the
different attitude of dealers.

"The one in the showroom is the top of the range model - but you won't want
that model." - Actually I did - but I bought from another dealer.

Test Drives - two dealers did allow me a test drive - but not anywhere I
could go above 30mph - despite the A3 (unrestricted) being very close. And,
my saying I would be doing a lot of motorway driving.

The dealer I bought from let me have a proper test drive on all sorts of
roads.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback writes:
[...]

The main worry I have with that approach is why are those
who are selling cars that are a year old selling them ? They
are presumably rather more likely to be the classic lemons.

I have been going the other route, keep the car for so long
that it is really quite academic what it loses in the first year.
The Golf lasted 40+ years and even that was only changed
to a new car because I was too stupid to fix the known
windscreen leak until it eventually rusted out the floor and
I was too lazy to fix that and just bought another new car.

I must admit tho that it was a getting a bit down
market in the last decade or so, very noticeable
when getting back in it from a work car etc.

I would love to have a fancy new car with some very
comprehensive cameras all round to make it easy to
get into tight parking places and to back with the
trailer which is too low to be seen when empty,
and it would be handy to have one which folds
the external mirrors against the car when you
lock it so you can easily see when it is locked etc,
but keep telling myself that its mad to be spending
say $50K just for that. It would likely be the last car
I buy too. Tho I probably would go for a fully self
driving car when I can buy one. Should help with
the drivers license here too, we start testing geriatrics
every couple of years once they get past a certain age.
That could be a damned nuisance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2016 18:02, PAJ wrote:
Bought a new golf earlier this year - Carwow saved me over £3.5K.
The great thing is that is was through my normal dealer and because
they sign up for the service you don't have to haggle. Part ex offer
was lousy though so sold it independently. I even got a £20 Amazon
voucher from Carwow for using the service. Also check out drive the
deal and orange wheels who offer similar services.

carwow just tells you the *maximum* price you need to pay.

You can then go and get a better deal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
Broadback writes:
[...]

I didn’t bother with a test drive at all. And did everything by phone when
buying. Rang all the dealers in my state capital to get the best price
available,
rang my local dealer principal and told him the best price I had found. Had
him claim that he had to pay $x higher delivery price than they did, so paid
him that on top of the best price I had found.

Paid for it with a card too. Our system allows you to have a very short term
increase in the maximum transaction allowed, in my case for just 30 mins.
The dealer principal was a bit shocked but was happy to do it that way
when it was clear that it wouldn’t cost him anything to be paid that way.

Today I would pay using Apple Pay using the
phone and he would be even more shocked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2016 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

What annoys me about VW is that often the quoted discounts are based on
the assumption that you will use HP.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Broadback
writes
On 13/08/2016 11:00, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years,
there has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far
worse. VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they
say,but nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

One of the worst examples of an online function must be the
configurators so loved by car manufacturers. I think they must all use
the same one.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount. Is it
simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

I think you need to be clear from the outset on the type of purchase you
want. If you do know this. If you tell them it will be a cash deal )with
or without trade in) they likely won't bother trying to sell you a lease
or HP etc deal. Any salesman will be out to maximise his commission. But
not spend time on doing things he knows he can't sell to you.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PAJ wrote:
Bought a new golf earlier this year - Carwow saved me over £3.5K. The
great thing is that is was through my normal dealer and because they
sign up for the service you don't have to haggle. Part ex offer was
lousy though so sold it independently. I even got a £20 Amazon voucher
from Carwow for using the service.

Unless your trade in is desirable - like say a recent model and lowish
mileage that the dealership might sell in its own showroom, you'll
generally do better on a private sale. If you don't mind the extra work
and hassle.

But if that were the case, you're being very uneconomical with your
motoring.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback writes:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen
strangely obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom
line price, but tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other
discount. Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have
the same problem?

Same here. I buy new, but keep for ~10 years, so I don't buy that
often. I found dealing with the car salesman very unplesent.

even worse is dealing with a 2nd hand car salesman.

I've bought very few used cars from a dealer. Excepting the last two. One
from a main dealer, the other from a one make specialist, recently. Both a
very pleasant experience.

I did have fun and games some years ago with an Arfa Daily type. The car
was actually OK - but he seemed determined to pull a fast one.

However, dealing with the motor trade in terms of repairs and servicing
can be a very frustrating experience. Not with all of them - but far too
many.

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 14:32:40 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
snipped
[...]

+1
I recommend this website for everybody to laugh or scoff at. Sounds like
she's doing the singing as well.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Drive the deal is quite good -
https://www.drivethedeal.com/
I saved ~£3k5
When I collected the car the guy would have done the same deal without DTD.
Actually, I could have saved a couple of hundred more, i.e, the dealer pays
DVD a couple of hundred for the business.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 August 2016 11:00:28 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:

even worse is dealing with a 2nd hand car salesman.

I've bought very few used cars from a dealer. Excepting the last two. One
from a main dealer, the other from a one make specialist, recently. Both a
very pleasant experience.

I did have fun and games some years ago with an Arfa Daily type. The car
was actually OK - but he seemed determined to pull a fast one.

However, dealing with the motor trade in terms of repairs and servicing
can be a very frustrating experience. Not with all of them - but far too
many.

You'll normally get a far better deal buying privately. Of course it means knowing what you're doing or taking someone that does.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to
lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves to
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

In the UK, I always buy nearly new. The last one had done 900
miles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2016 11:23, Dave W wrote:

The internet (well, netscape navigator) was made for her. She is a self
professed database programmer and came over as barking ...

When I first clapped eyes on that web page, I was somewhat taken aback.
Obviously, those on dial up need not apply. However, after scrolling
through the whole page... and then back to the top, I could start to
appreciate the effort that had gone into its parodying *everything* (it
seems to me) that's wrong with "The Internet". The closer you look at its
content, the more you can appreciate it as a kiche work of art. It's got
just about everything, even a cat and a dog! :-)

+1
I recommend this website for everybody to laugh or scoff at. Sounds like
she's doing the singing as well.

[quote]
"It is a site voted one of the Top 100 sites in the worId by FHM magazine."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

even worse is dealing with a 2nd hand car salesman.

I've bought very few used cars from a dealer. Excepting the last two.
One from a main dealer, the other from a one make specialist,
recently. Both a very pleasant experience.

I did have fun and games some years ago with an Arfa Daily type. The
car was actually OK - but he seemed determined to pull a fast one.

However, dealing with the motor trade in terms of repairs and
servicing can be a very frustrating experience. Not with all of them -
but far too many.

You'll normally get a far better deal buying privately. Of course it
means knowing what you're doing or taking someone that does.

Hmm. These days so many used cars are sold privately via Ebay etc, and
sellers seem to think it's ok to lie through their teeth. As that's what
they've seen others do on Ebay.

If it's a common car I'd rather buy from a reputable auction. They can't
really make claims which are false. And you should get it at the lower end
price wise.

Buying any used car is a bit of a minefield, though.

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Capitol
writes
Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to
lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves to
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

In the UK, I always buy nearly new. The last one had done 900
miles.

My last one was ex-demonstrator, never been out the showroom and 10
miles on the clock. - Land Rover Defender in a Birmingham dealership!!
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2016 11:17, Broadback wrote:
I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there
has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse.
VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but
nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

Funny that, I've never bought a new car. My wife's is the only one we've
ever bought new. In 1999... and still going, not bad for a cheap
shopping trolley thingy! My current car is 15 years old and just on
130,000 miles. Bought 2nd hand a year old for just over half list price.
And nice enough I am willing to spend more than it is worth to keep it
running well.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

bert Wrote in message:
In article , Capitol
writes
Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to
lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves to
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

In the UK, I always buy nearly new. The last one had done 900
miles.

My last one was ex-demonstrator, never been out the showroom and 10
miles on the clock. - Land Rover Defender in a Birmingham dealership!!

That explains that then :-D

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 14 August 2016 19:12:53 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Andrew wrote:

even worse is dealing with a 2nd hand car salesman.

I've bought very few used cars from a dealer. Excepting the last two.
One from a main dealer, the other from a one make specialist,
recently. Both a very pleasant experience.

I did have fun and games some years ago with an Arfa Daily type. The
car was actually OK - but he seemed determined to pull a fast one.

However, dealing with the motor trade in terms of repairs and
servicing can be a very frustrating experience. Not with all of them -
but far too many.

You'll normally get a far better deal buying privately. Of course it
means knowing what you're doing or taking someone that does.

Hmm. These days so many used cars are sold privately via Ebay etc, and
sellers seem to think it's ok to lie through their teeth. As that's what
they've seen others do on Ebay.

Of course. So what?

If it's a common car I'd rather buy from a reputable auction. They can't
really make claims which are false. And you should get it at the lower end
price wise.

Not much possibility to check it out.

Buying any used car is a bit of a minefield, though.

Like anything in life it's a gamble. Accept it upfront and maximise your odds. That does not mean going to a used car garage

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to lease
the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves to
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

In the UK, I always buy nearly new. The last one had done 900
miles.

But why are they selling a nearly car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

I can see that a microscopic number would buy a new car and then
say get sent to say the US by their employer and so need to sell the
car so quickly, but there must be **** all in that situation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

[...]

Not with a new car, particularly in a country which has lemon laws.