Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default buying a brand new car

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2016 11:00, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there
has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse.
VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but
nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/16 11:17, Broadback wrote:
On 13/08/2016 11:00, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there
has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse.
VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but
nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

Isn't there enough advertising and spec of theirs online.

FWIW we bought a new Polo online through 'Drive The Deal', not a bad
discount at the time without having to talk to sales people. It was
delivered from a VW dealer, faultless. Mind ye, this was 13 years ago.

https://www.drivethedeal.com/

Not a new car trader but if ye fancy some fun distraction, this chinese
lady pitched up at Dragon's Den and told them where to go... Which made
great (set up) TV.

http://www.lingscars.com/

The internet (well, netscape navigator) was made for her. She is a self
professed database programmer and came over as barking ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 14:32:40 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[...]

When I first clapped eyes on that web page, I was somewhat taken aback.
Obviously, those on dial up need not apply. However, after scrolling
through the whole page... and then back to the top, I could start to
appreciate the effort that had gone into its parodying *everything* (it
seems to me) that's wrong with "The Internet". The closer you look at its
content, the more you can appreciate it as a kiche work of art. It's got
just about everything, even a cat and a dog! :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 14:32:40 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
snipped
[...]

+1
I recommend this website for everybody to laugh or scoff at. Sounds like
she's doing the singing as well.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
[...]

Why is there a different price based upon annual mileage?

This deal does not include servicing so none of the costs are mileage based,
so all that the mileage affects is the resale price, which is normally
solved by charging an "over mileage fee" at the end.

this has to be better for everyone as you don't have to guess how many miles
you might do

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote:

https://www.drivethedeal.com/
http://www.lingscars.com/

Why is there a different price based upon annual mileage?

With the first, there isn't a price vs milage difference because you're
*buying* a car

With the second you're only *leasing* it, so the owner (not you) cares
about the value when you give it back, hence the price varies with mileage.

This deal does not include servicing so none of the costs are mileage based,
so all that the mileage affects is the resale price, which is normally
solved by charging an "over mileage fee" at the end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

VW do not have brochures but send en email with details

Seem to have PDFs online ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Broadback
writes
On 13/08/2016 11:00, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years,
there has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far
worse. VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they
say,but nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

One of the worst examples of an online function must be the
configurators so loved by car manufacturers. I think they must all use
the same one.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Broadback
writes
On 13/08/2016 11:00, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price,
but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there
has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse.
VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but
nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

One of the worst examples of an online function

Oh I do so hate those web pages that insist you read an online leaflet like
it is a book

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2016 11:17, Broadback wrote:
I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there
has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse.
VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but
nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

Funny that, I've never bought a new car. My wife's is the only one we've
ever bought new. In 1999... and still going, not bad for a cheap
shopping trolley thingy! My current car is 15 years old and just on
130,000 miles. Bought 2nd hand a year old for just over half list price.
And nice enough I am willing to spend more than it is worth to keep it
running well.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 13/08/2016 11:17, Broadback wrote:
I am not new to buying a new car, approximately every 2 1/2 years, there
has always been an element of run around, but this time it is far worse.
VW do not have brochures but send en email with details, so they say,but
nothing has tuned up yet to replace the brochure.

Funny that, I've never bought a new car. My wife's is the only one we've
ever bought new. In 1999... and still going, not bad for a cheap shopping
trolley thingy! My current car is 15 years old and just on 130,000 miles.
Bought 2nd hand a year old for just over half list price.

you were lucky

whenever I have looked at nearly new cars the sticker price is only slightly
below new price, with less negotiation over a discount available

I guess that this is a regional thing

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Funny that, I've never bought a new car. My wife's is the only one
we've ever bought new. In 1999... and still going, not bad for a
cheap shopping trolley thingy! My current car is 15 years old and
just on 130,000 miles. Bought 2nd hand a year old for just over half
list price.

you were lucky

whenever I have looked at nearly new cars the sticker price is only
slightly below new price, with less negotiation over a discount
available

I guess that this is a regional thing

It also depends on the model. A brand new model, well reviewed by the
press may just have demand exceed supply - so can be sold near new for
*more* than it cost. Rare - but can happen.

And depreciation percentage per year varies between makes and models too.
A very well specced - ie loaded - boring car can loose a fortune in the
first year. Making it a very good buy used.

--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

--
Adrian C

No it's not

you go to Comparethemarket.com (other websites available)

and 100s of "bottom line prices" will be offered to you

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 11:13, tim... wrote:

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 13/08/16 10:57, Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Of course they are unwilling to tell you the lowest price they will
accept! Their bonus is dependent on the amount they get you to pay.

Errr... The bottom line price is only offered to you at the point where
you are about to walk out of the showroom without them making a sale.

Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

No it's not

you go to Comparethemarket.com (other websites available)

and 100s of "bottom line prices" will be offered to you

Not always the cheapest one that you could get by talking directly to a
good insurance broker though. Having an idea of the results from such a
comparison ssite avoid expensive mistakes during renewal.

Likewise with mobile phone contracts. Unless you are talking to customer
retention when up for renewal you will pay through the nose. It is
amusing to probe for the walk away price when intending to leave. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/16 11:34, Martin Brown wrote:

Likewise with mobile phone contracts. Unless you are talking to customer
retention when up for renewal you will pay through the nose. It is
amusing to probe for the walk away price when intending to leave. YMMV

Walk away prices are amusing.

I was on a 3 month special* with Sky Now Movies (Erm, I don't get out
much) for 3 quid a month. The day before they reverted that to the
normal 10 quid a month, I pressed the auto renew cancel button, then
they snared me on a 4 quid for 4 months deal.

Didn't need it, but ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

--
Adrian C

No it's not

you go to Comparethemarket.com (other websites available)

and 100s of "bottom line prices" will be offered to you

Depends what you mean by bottom line. The insurance company pays a
commission to those sites. And there are some companies who don't use them
at all.

So you may well get reasonably competitive prices - but not always the
bottom line.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

--
Adrian C

No it's not

you go to Comparethemarket.com (other websites available)

and 100s of "bottom line prices" will be offered to you

Depends what you mean by bottom line. The insurance company pays a
commission to those sites. And there are some companies who don't use them
at all.

So you may well get reasonably competitive prices - but not always the
bottom line.

They are each individual company's bottom line.

That is what the OP complained he wasn't getting from the dealer

He wasn't complaining that dealer X wasn't telling him he could get a better
deal from dealer Y (or even by buying a different car completely)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:57:30 +0100, Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Have a look at some of the motoring magazines which will put you in touch
with brokers who buy in bulk to get fleet discounts. Many of them will
register you as first owner too.

What Car and, I think, AutoExpress also list 'best deal' prices to aim
for and if you can't achieve it will then put you in touch with a
broker. Or so they used to claim.

Use that as your starting point and negotiate around that THEN negotiate
the value of your part exchange (if you have one). Don't get pushed ito
letting the salesman wrap it all up into one UNLESS you are good at doing
quick calculations in your head so you can cary the different margins
with you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:57:30 +0100, Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Have a look at some of the motoring magazines which will put you in touch
with brokers who buy in bulk to get fleet discounts. Many of them will
register you as first owner too.

What Car and, I think, AutoExpress also list 'best deal' prices to aim

I tried that at the local Hyundai dealer - they were having none of it.
Even for a car off the forecourt that they knew wasn't the spec that I
wanted. List price or no sale!

for and if you can't achieve it will then put you in touch with a
broker. Or so they used to claim.

They offered me a price but then couldn't find a dealer to supply at that
price

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:57:30 +0100, Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Have a look at some of the motoring magazines which will put you in touch
with brokers who buy in bulk to get fleet discounts. Many of them will
register you as first owner too.

What Car and, I think, AutoExpress also list 'best deal' prices to aim

I tried that at the local Hyundai dealer - they were having none of it.
Even for a car off the forecourt that they knew wasn't the spec that I
wanted. List price or no sale!

Are they still in business ?

When I bought my Hyundai, I knew which model I wanted, rang around
all the dealers in the state capital, got the best price available which
appeared to be an operation that needed to move a car quickly.

Rang my local dealer principal, told him the best price I could find.
Had him claim that he had to pay a higher delivery price than the
dealers in the state capital had to pay Hyundai, was happy to pay
that to save me paying hundreds to fly to the state capital and
drive the new car home.

He did try to flog me one they had of the forecourt that I didnt
like the pale blue color of but was happy to order a bright yellow
one for me for the same price. I prefer bright yellow because its
easier to find in the big carparks and in theory might see fewer
people not see me coming.

for and if you can't achieve it will then put you in touch with a
broker. Or so they used to claim.

They offered me a price but then couldn't find a dealer to supply at that
price

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-08-17, tim... wrote:

[...]

In which case you turn round and walk away.

well I did, yes

Plenty more fish in the sea.

But not plenty more Hyundai dealers

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-08-17, tim... wrote:

[...]

So buy something else.

I am/was looking for a very specific set of requirements

only a very few cars matched it, and only Hyundai in a standard model.

I was looking to get a car off the showroom floor, I didn't have time for a
three month wait for factory build.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

If you know exactly what you want there are websites where you enter
what you want and dealers make offers to you.
Never used it but it might be an interesting exercise especially if you
swap a couple of digits in your phone no to start with and use a
disposable email addy just in case..
Carwow and drive the deal are two such.
Is an EU import still worth doing? maybe not with the exchange rate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Five years ago I used drivethedeal, you spec the car, they trawl round
dealers to find who will give you the best price, you never see or speak
to a salesman. I've seen a newer service carwow advertised on TV.

Presumably august is still a bad month for buying?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 11:35:10 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive.

Five years ago I used drivethedeal, you spec the car, they trawl round
dealers to find who will give you the best price, you never see or speak
to a salesman. I've seen a newer service carwow advertised on TV.

Presumably august is still a bad month for buying?

Not necessarily - its toward the end of the 6 month for Reg changes so a
good deal may be obtainable for an August delivery rather than a
September one. Further down the line when you come to sell, the
difference in value due to the 'old' letters on the plate is more than
offset by the savings made initially.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Five years ago I used drivethedeal, you spec the car, they trawl round
dealers to find who will give you the best price, you never see or speak
to a salesman. I've seen a newer service carwow advertised on TV.

I looked at one of these and the problem as I saw it was that, according to
the blurb, the car was "driven" not "trucked" to your location.

I suspect that the best deals to be had on cars come from dealers in the
more "depressed" parts of the country op norf and living, as I do, in the
far SE corner of the country, that would put an awful lot of miles on the
clock before I got it (driven, no doubt, by some speed merchant who doesn't
give a damn about the car)

Presumably august is still a bad month for buying?

That was my problem ;-)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 11:36, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:

[...]

You need to find out if the dealer has meet or is near his target just
before the end of the month.

The dealer gets targets set by the manufacturer, if they meet them they
get a discount on all the cars they have sold that period.
The effect of this is that if the dealer is close to the target but
thinks he may miss it they will sell a car below cost to get the
discount on the rest.
The alternative they have is to register it themselves, which is why you
see pre registered cars in the showroom at a huge discount.
Its quite advantages to buy a prereg as they are new, come with
manufacturers warranty and have a big discount if they have the car you
want.
The last car I bought was a prereg and has 100,000 mile/lifetime
warranty which I will keep for about ten years. It had been registered
for five months.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 17/08/2016 11:36, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:

[...]

Why do you plan to keep it for 10 years and not more or less ?

I'm just coming up to 10 years with mine and about all I would
get if I changed it now is maybe a fancy set of cameras all round
and auto changing mirrors etc as I back into a tight parking spot
etc and but its hard to justify spending anything like $50K to get that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

You need to find out if the dealer has meet or is near his target just
before the end of the month.

Presumably drivethedeal etc get to know which dealers need to sell a few
extra cars to meet target, rather than scatter-gunning every request to
every dealer? Or maybe they wait for the desperate dealers come to them
to see who is looking to buy?

Its quite advantages to buy a prereg as they are new, come with
manufacturers warranty and have a big discount if they have the car you
want.

But you don't get to spec it yourelf.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2016 09:42, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

You need to find out if the dealer has meet or is near his target just
before the end of the month.

Presumably drivethedeal etc get to know which dealers need to sell a few
extra cars to meet target, rather than scatter-gunning every request to
every dealer? Or maybe they wait for the desperate dealers come to them
to see who is looking to buy?

Its quite advantages to buy a prereg as they are new, come with
manufacturers warranty and have a big discount if they have the car you
want.

But you don't get to spec it yourelf.

Well yes but the only option I wanted was a spare wheel rather than an
inflater so the dealer took one from another car and we were both happy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Five years ago I used drivethedeal

according to the blurb, the car was "driven" not "trucked" to your
location.

That's true, and you have to hope the driver isn't a 17 y/o arsehole
tear-arsing cars up and down the country 12 hours a day.

I suspect that the best deals to be had on cars come from dealers in
the more "depressed" parts of the country op norf

In my case the "winning" dealer was down in Gloucester. I gave the
delivery driver a lift to the railway station, so had a chat with him,
he was a retired chap who did a couple of deliveries a week to fund his
golf habit, he said he avoids motorways where possible and had come via
the A46 not the M5/M42/M6/M69, the trip computer confirmed he had taken
it steady.

would put an awful lot of miles on the clock before I got it (driven,
no doubt, by some speed merchant who doesn't give a damn about the
car)

I was lucky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2016 09:37, Andy Burns wrote:
tim... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Five years ago I used drivethedeal

according to the blurb, the car was "driven" not "trucked" to your
location.

That's true, and you have to hope the driver isn't a 17 y/o arsehole
tear-arsing cars up and down the country 12 hours a day.

I suspect that the best deals to be had on cars come from dealers in
the more "depressed" parts of the country op norf

In my case the "winning" dealer was down in Gloucester. I gave the
delivery driver a lift to the railway station, so had a chat with him,
he was a retired chap who did a couple of deliveries a week to fund his
golf habit, he said he avoids motorways where possible and had come via
the A46 not the M5/M42/M6/M69, the trip computer confirmed he had taken
it steady.

I would rather he drove at a nice 60-70 down the motorway as it does
less wear than driving on A roads.

Anyone that thinks running a car at 70 when its doing 3000 rpm is worse
than driving around A roads stopping and starting doesn't understand cars.

I used to drive a lot of motorway miles and the cars lasted forever, no
brake parts, no clutch parts, no exhaust parts, even the tyres lasted
longer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

A bit like an electric car then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Broadback" wrote in message
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves to
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2016 12:47, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves to
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to
lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves to
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

In the UK, I always buy nearly new. The last one had done 900
miles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Capitol
writes
Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to
lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves to
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

In the UK, I always buy nearly new. The last one had done 900
miles.

My last one was ex-demonstrator, never been out the showroom and 10
miles on the clock. - Land Rover Defender in a Birmingham dealership!!
--
bert