Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default buying a brand new car

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 14/08/2016 21:58, Rod Speed wrote:

But why are they selling a nearly car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and then
they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

why would you want to buy an ex-hire car

will have been driven by every idiot imaginable

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 13/08/2016 14:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Broadback writes:
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen
strangely obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom
line price, but tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other
discount. Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have
the
same problem?

Same here. I buy new, but keep for ~10 years, so I don't buy that
often. I found dealing with the car salesman very unplesent.

even worse is dealing with a 2nd hand car salesman.

when I went hunting for a new car just over 3 years ago, it was amazing
the
different attitude of dealers.

"The one in the showroom is the top of the range model - but you won't
want
that model." - Actually I did - but I bought from another dealer.

Test Drives - two dealers did allow me a test drive - but not anywhere I
could go above 30mph - despite the A3 (unrestricted) being very close.
And,
my saying I would be doing a lot of motorway driving.

The dealer I bought from let me have a proper test drive on all sorts of
roads.

I didn’t bother with a test drive at all. And did everything by phone when
buying. Rang all the dealers in my state capital to get the best price
available,
rang my local dealer principal and told him the best price I had found.
Had
him claim that he had to pay $x higher delivery price than they did, so
paid
him that on top of the best price I had found.

Paid for it with a card too. Our system allows you to have a very short
term
increase in the maximum transaction allowed, in my case for just 30 mins.

you can do this in the UK by feeding the account first.

Not a lot of people do it though

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/16 11:34, Martin Brown wrote:

Likewise with mobile phone contracts. Unless you are talking to customer
retention when up for renewal you will pay through the nose. It is
amusing to probe for the walk away price when intending to leave. YMMV

Walk away prices are amusing.

I was on a 3 month special* with Sky Now Movies (Erm, I don't get out
much) for 3 quid a month. The day before they reverted that to the
normal 10 quid a month, I pressed the auto renew cancel button, then
they snared me on a 4 quid for 4 months deal.

Didn't need it, but ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"jim" k wrote in message
"bm" Wrote in message:

"Broadback" wrote in message
We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price,
but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Drive the deal is quite good -
https://www.drivethedeal.com/
I saved ~£3k5
When I collected the car the guy would have done the same deal without
DTD.
Actually, I could have saved a couple of hundred more, i.e, the dealer
pays
DVD a couple of hundred for the business.

Mmm sounds like dealer sour grapes to me :-)
He's hardly going to offer the same deal out "to anyone" is he?

He told me he'd do the same deal without DTD. He'd come off better due to
not paying DTD for their pointer.

but how did you know to go to him in the first place?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 15/08/2016 02:03, Rod Speed wrote:
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But why are they selling a nearly new car ? I can see why a car dealer
would do that with a demo, but why would anyone else do that ?

Hire car companies get offered deals on car that are not shifting and
then they in turn get rid of them before any servicing is required.

I don’t believe that they are actually silly enough to
buy a new car just to avoid paying for the first service.

You know little about the motor trade.

If a manufacturer wants to promote its car sales, like a newly released
car, it will typically offload these into the non-domestic / non-fleet
market to get numbers up. Namely to hire car companies and lease
companies.

Whether a hire company sells a car or not is down to pure economics, they
may even make a profit on a sale at an auction on a 6 month old car.

you seem to be arguing mutually exclusive things

manufactures are having trouble selling a particular model because of
whatever and thus offload them to hire companies at discount prices to
massage up their sales figures.

Yet 6 months later

these cars are so popular they achieve premium prices at auctions

Don't believe it

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"jim" k wrote in message
"bm" Wrote in message:

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

DTD, next time I'll get a DTD quote and go to that dealer directly.
I believe they pay DTD ~£300 per pointer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2016 11:36, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Five years ago I used drivethedeal, you spec the car, they trawl round
dealers to find who will give you the best price, you never see or
speak to a salesman. I've seen a newer service carwow advertised on TV.

I looked at one of these and the problem as I saw it was that, according
to the blurb, the car was "driven" not "trucked" to your location.

I suspect that the best deals to be had on cars come from dealers in the
more "depressed" parts of the country op norf and living, as I do, in
the far SE corner of the country, that would put an awful lot of miles
on the clock before I got it (driven, no doubt, by some speed merchant
who doesn't give a damn about the car)

Presumably august is still a bad month for buying?

That was my problem ;-)

tim

You need to find out if the dealer has meet or is near his target just
before the end of the month.

The dealer gets targets set by the manufacturer, if they meet them they
get a discount on all the cars they have sold that period.
The effect of this is that if the dealer is close to the target but
thinks he may miss it they will sell a car below cost to get the
discount on the rest.
The alternative they have is to register it themselves, which is why you
see pre registered cars in the showroom at a huge discount.
Its quite advantages to buy a prereg as they are new, come with
manufacturers warranty and have a big discount if they have the car you
want.
The last car I bought was a prereg and has 100,000 mile/lifetime
warranty which I will keep for about ten years. It had been registered
for five months.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"tim..." wrote in message

but how did you know to go to him in the first place?

DTD, next time I'll get a DTD quote and go to that dealer directly.
I believe they pay DTD ~£300 per pointer.

but I thought that they didn't tell you the dealer until the deal was done

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

--
Adrian C

No it's not

you go to Comparethemarket.com (other websites available)

and 100s of "bottom line prices" will be offered to you

Depends what you mean by bottom line. The insurance company pays a
commission to those sites. And there are some companies who don't use them
at all.

So you may well get reasonably competitive prices - but not always the
bottom line.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Funny that, I've never bought a new car. My wife's is the only one
we've ever bought new. In 1999... and still going, not bad for a
cheap shopping trolley thingy! My current car is 15 years old and
just on 130,000 miles. Bought 2nd hand a year old for just over half
list price.

you were lucky

whenever I have looked at nearly new cars the sticker price is only
slightly below new price, with less negotiation over a discount
available

I guess that this is a regional thing

It also depends on the model. A brand new model, well reviewed by the
press may just have demand exceed supply - so can be sold near new for
*more* than it cost. Rare - but can happen.

And depreciation percentage per year varies between makes and models too.
A very well specced - ie loaded - boring car can loose a fortune in the
first year. Making it a very good buy used.

--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"tim..." wrote in message

but how did you know to go to him in the first place?

DTD, next time I'll get a DTD quote and go to that dealer directly.
I believe they pay DTD ~£300 per pointer.

but I thought that they didn't tell you the dealer until the deal was done

They use certain dealerships, you ask around and get a list

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
Wait till you buy the insurance, same game ...

--
Adrian C

No it's not

you go to Comparethemarket.com (other websites available)

and 100s of "bottom line prices" will be offered to you

Depends what you mean by bottom line. The insurance company pays a
commission to those sites. And there are some companies who don't use them
at all.

So you may well get reasonably competitive prices - but not always the
bottom line.

They are each individual company's bottom line.

That is what the OP complained he wasn't getting from the dealer

He wasn't complaining that dealer X wasn't telling him he could get a better
deal from dealer Y (or even by buying a different car completely)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
Funny that, I've never bought a new car. My wife's is the only one
we've ever bought new. In 1999... and still going, not bad for a
cheap shopping trolley thingy! My current car is 15 years old and
just on 130,000 miles. Bought 2nd hand a year old for just over half
list price.

you were lucky

whenever I have looked at nearly new cars the sticker price is only
slightly below new price, with less negotiation over a discount
available

I guess that this is a regional thing

It also depends on the model. A brand new model, well reviewed by the
press may just have demand exceed supply - so can be sold near new for
*more* than it cost. Rare - but can happen.

I wasn't buying anything special

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"tim..." wrote in message

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"tim..." wrote in message

but how did you know to go to him in the first place?

DTD, next time I'll get a DTD quote and go to that dealer directly.
I believe they pay DTD ~£300 per pointer.

but I thought that they didn't tell you the dealer until the deal was
done

They use certain dealerships, you ask around and get a list

As I am not on Honest John's Christmas card list, with whom do I ask around?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-08-17, tim... wrote:

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:57:30 +0100, Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price,
but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Have a look at some of the motoring magazines which will put you in
touch
with brokers who buy in bulk to get fleet discounts. Many of them will
register you as first owner too.

What Car and, I think, AutoExpress also list 'best deal' prices to aim

I tried that at the local Hyundai dealer - they were having none of it.
Even for a car off the forecourt that they knew wasn't the spec that I
wanted. List price or no sale!

In which case you turn round and walk away.

well I did, yes

Plenty more fish in the sea.

But not plenty more Hyundai dealers

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"tim..." wrote in message

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"tim..." wrote in message

but how did you know to go to him in the first place?

DTD, next time I'll get a DTD quote and go to that dealer directly.
I believe they pay DTD ~£300 per pointer.

but I thought that they didn't tell you the dealer until the deal was
done

They use certain dealerships, you ask around and get a list

As I am not on Honest John's Christmas card list, with whom do I ask
around?

Various forums/fora. You need to dig.
I gave one - W R Davies Ford Newtown Powys
I'm not alone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:57:30 +0100, Broadback wrote:

We are in the market for brand new car, but find the salesmen strangely
obstructive. They are totally reluctant to give a bottom line price, but
tell you repeatedly about this and that and the other discount.
Is it simply that my face does not fit or do others have the same
problem?

Have a look at some of the motoring magazines which will put you in touch
with brokers who buy in bulk to get fleet discounts. Many of them will
register you as first owner too.

What Car and, I think, AutoExpress also list 'best deal' prices to aim

I tried that at the local Hyundai dealer - they were having none of it.
Even for a car off the forecourt that they knew wasn't the spec that I
wanted. List price or no sale!

Are they still in business ?

When I bought my Hyundai, I knew which model I wanted, rang around
all the dealers in the state capital, got the best price available which
appeared to be an operation that needed to move a car quickly.

Rang my local dealer principal, told him the best price I could find.
Had him claim that he had to pay a higher delivery price than the
dealers in the state capital had to pay Hyundai, was happy to pay
that to save me paying hundreds to fly to the state capital and
drive the new car home.

He did try to flog me one they had of the forecourt that I didnt
like the pale blue color of but was happy to order a bright yellow
one for me for the same price. I prefer bright yellow because its
easier to find in the big carparks and in theory might see fewer
people not see me coming.

for and if you can't achieve it will then put you in touch with a
broker. Or so they used to claim.

They offered me a price but then couldn't find a dealer to supply at that
price

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Capitol
writes
Andrew wrote:
On 13/08/2016 12:47, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to lease
the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over themselves
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

In the UK, I always buy nearly new. The last one had done 900
miles.

My last one was ex-demonstrator, never been out the showroom and 10 miles
on the clock. - Land Rover Defender in a Birmingham dealership!!

My hyundai dealer were selling demonstrator at list

Are they still in business ? If they are, they must not have any real
competition.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"charles" wrote in message
Broadback writes:
[...]

I wasn’t talking about how you get enough money in there,
I was talking about only having that much higher than normal
allowed transaction value for just 30 mins or whatever you
specify to minimise the risk of losing the card or having it
stolen and being looted for all that money by a thief.

Not a lot of people do it though

Clearly no one had done it with that dealer before.

Be even more secure now with Apple Pay or Android Pay.
Even if the phone was stolen or lost no thief would be able
to loot the card because his fingerprint wouldn’t work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 17/08/2016 11:36, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:

[...]

Why do you plan to keep it for 10 years and not more or less ?

I'm just coming up to 10 years with mine and about all I would
get if I changed it now is maybe a fancy set of cameras all round
and auto changing mirrors etc as I back into a tight parking spot
etc and but its hard to justify spending anything like $50K to get that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote:

https://www.drivethedeal.com/
http://www.lingscars.com/

Why is there a different price based upon annual mileage?

With the first, there isn't a price vs milage difference because you're
*buying* a car

With the second you're only *leasing* it, so the owner (not you) cares
about the value when you give it back, hence the price varies with mileage.

This deal does not include servicing so none of the costs are mileage based,
so all that the mileage affects is the resale price, which is normally
solved by charging an "over mileage fee" at the end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Five years ago I used drivethedeal

according to the blurb, the car was "driven" not "trucked" to your
location.

That's true, and you have to hope the driver isn't a 17 y/o arsehole
tear-arsing cars up and down the country 12 hours a day.

I suspect that the best deals to be had on cars come from dealers in
the more "depressed" parts of the country op norf

In my case the "winning" dealer was down in Gloucester. I gave the
delivery driver a lift to the railway station, so had a chat with him,
he was a retired chap who did a couple of deliveries a week to fund his
golf habit, he said he avoids motorways where possible and had come via
the A46 not the M5/M42/M6/M69, the trip computer confirmed he had taken
it steady.

would put an awful lot of miles on the clock before I got it (driven,
no doubt, by some speed merchant who doesn't give a damn about the
car)

I was lucky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote:

https://www.drivethedeal.com/
http://www.lingscars.com/

Why is there a different price based upon annual mileage?

With the first, there isn't a price vs milage difference because you're
*buying* a car

With the second you're only *leasing* it, so the owner (not you) cares
about the value when you give it back, hence the price varies with
mileage.

Yes I understand that, that was all explained in my next paragraph

The questions really is

Why is there a different charge per month for an agreed mileage INSTEAD of
just adjusting the value when it is returned.

This seems to work against the owner because they will (presumably) be
penalised if they get it wrong.

I also note that with this "dealer", there is no guaranteed right to keep
the car, so if you are a much lower user than you estimate, instead of being
able to keep that added value (for the balloon payment) the finance company
can say "Oo, a car worth more than then expected value, we'll keep that
profit for ourselves"

all in all this particular dealer looks like a bad deal.

I'm just wondering what the advantages are that "pay" for these
disadvantages.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-08-17, tim... wrote:

[...]

So buy something else.

I am/was looking for a very specific set of requirements

only a very few cars matched it, and only Hyundai in a standard model.

I was looking to get a car off the showroom floor, I didn't have time for a
three month wait for factory build.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

You need to find out if the dealer has meet or is near his target just
before the end of the month.

Presumably drivethedeal etc get to know which dealers need to sell a few
extra cars to meet target, rather than scatter-gunning every request to
every dealer? Or maybe they wait for the desperate dealers come to them
to see who is looking to buy?

Its quite advantages to buy a prereg as they are new, come with
manufacturers warranty and have a big discount if they have the car you
want.

But you don't get to spec it yourelf.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Capitol
writes
Brian-Gaff wrote:

[...]

like all car dealers, they only compete with the same dealer in the next
town.

So if you are looking for a Ford you can go elsewhere.

if you want something less popular, your choice really is limited to one.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2016 09:42, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

You need to find out if the dealer has meet or is near his target just
before the end of the month.

Presumably drivethedeal etc get to know which dealers need to sell a few
extra cars to meet target, rather than scatter-gunning every request to
every dealer? Or maybe they wait for the desperate dealers come to them
to see who is looking to buy?

Its quite advantages to buy a prereg as they are new, come with
manufacturers warranty and have a big discount if they have the car you
want.

But you don't get to spec it yourelf.

Well yes but the only option I wanted was a spare wheel rather than an
inflater so the dealer took one from another car and we were both happy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2016 09:37, Andy Burns wrote:
tim... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Five years ago I used drivethedeal

according to the blurb, the car was "driven" not "trucked" to your
location.

That's true, and you have to hope the driver isn't a 17 y/o arsehole
tear-arsing cars up and down the country 12 hours a day.

I suspect that the best deals to be had on cars come from dealers in
the more "depressed" parts of the country op norf

In my case the "winning" dealer was down in Gloucester. I gave the
delivery driver a lift to the railway station, so had a chat with him,
he was a retired chap who did a couple of deliveries a week to fund his
golf habit, he said he avoids motorways where possible and had come via
the A46 not the M5/M42/M6/M69, the trip computer confirmed he had taken
it steady.

I would rather he drove at a nice 60-70 down the motorway as it does
less wear than driving on A roads.

Anyone that thinks running a car at 70 when its doing 3000 rpm is worse
than driving around A roads stopping and starting doesn't understand cars.

I used to drive a lot of motorway miles and the cars lasted forever, no
brake parts, no clutch parts, no exhaust parts, even the tyres lasted
longer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2016 10:56, Tim Streater wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:

Well yes but the only option I wanted was a spare wheel rather than an
inflater so the dealer took one from another car and we were both happy.

You *are* a spare wheel, Den.

Then I am more useful than you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Capitol
writes
Brian-Gaff wrote:

A friend of mine said he was fed up cos most salesmen wanted to
lease the
cars not sell them for some odd reason.

Being a cash buyer doesn't feel like anyone's falling over
themselves to
take your money, probably a combination of

leased cars being more likely to lead to another sale in 3 years
time.

making money on the finance as well as on the sale.

Always buy a new car in December. Then they really will roll out the
red carpet.

In the UK, I always buy nearly new. The last one had done 900
miles.
My last one was ex-demonstrator, never been out the showroom and 10
miles on the clock. - Land Rover Defender in a Birmingham dealership!!

My hyundai dealer were selling demonstrator at list

Are they still in business ? If they are, they must not have any real
competition.

like all car dealers, they only compete with the same dealer in the next
town.

And plenty like me get the best price in the state/country
and use that to monster the local dealer with and go and
get the car from the best dealer in the state/country if the
local dealer is actually stupid enough to say it's the list
price or nothing.

So if you are looking for a Ford you can go elsewhere.

You can go elsewhere if you want a Hyundai too. Its not
as if your tiny little country is big enough that you can't
just go to the dealer with the best price and drive it home
if that makes sense financially.

if you want something less popular, your choice really is limited to one.

Like hell it is. There is almost nothing that is sold
buy just the the manufacturer with no dealers at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
With the second you're only *leasing* it, so the owner (not you) cares
about the value when you give it back, hence the price varies with
mileage.

Yes I understand that, that was all explained in my next paragraph

The questions really is

Why is there a different charge per month for an agreed mileage INSTEAD
of just adjusting the value when it is returned.

This seems to work against the owner because they will (presumably) be
penalised if they get it wrong.

Well quite. Same as insurance with agreed restricted mileage. Exceed the
limit and have it increased costs more than the higher one in the first
place.

If it didn't, everyone would go for a low mileage and then increase it if
needed.

Heads they win, tails you lose.

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

A bit like an electric car then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

Lets think about it.. no!
I wouldn't have even got to and from work in an electric car.