Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Some people.

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 20:12:30 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
News wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
News wrote

I did, but am aware that few who buy TVs know that they even exist.

How do you know that ?

Were I to guess, I would side with Rod on this one.

When he said few I assume he meant few
who buy TVs know what they are buying.

Know about what different TV technologys are available.

How will you know which TV to buy if you don't understand the technologies.
Why buy a TV anyway why not a monitor.

The most most can manage is whether its an older
rather deep TV or a modern much thinner one.

you mean cheap or expensive, cheap bad expensove good.

would you remain in that state of ignorance
if you were planning on buying a TV.

Plenty do.

If they buy a 8k TV from a poundshop that is their choice.

Would you worry about the size or wieght,

Hardly anyone does until its time to put it on the wall etc.

I've never mounted a TV on a wall, hardly anyone that IO know has done that.
Except one who brought a 55 inch cuvred 4K with the latest surround sound
with suround sound he hasd someone come in and install it.
He didn't even consider ebay I wonder why.

I didn't either with the last of the ****ing great wide
screen CRT TVs. When it got delivered, it was obvious
that it was too heavy for me to put on the quite low
thing I stood it on and had to get one of my
neighbour mates to give me a hand to lift it onto that.

you ordered a TV without knowing it's specs of size and weight.

whether it had freeview, or FV HD. 4K or HD ready.

**** all of that level of buyer understand anything
like that and I know that because a couple of them
have asked me to get one at a garage/yard sale

so not ebay then. So these peole aren;lt buying on ebay.

and
I even had to ask them whether they wanted a modern
flat screen TV or whether an older CRT TV would do.

So they don;t know what they want why would they buy off ebay.

Me too, but the average ebay buyer of TVs doesn't.

Well I think they shouldn't be bidding if they don't know
what they are bidding on. But I guess that's a lot to expect.

A huge problem for eBay sellers. Buyers buy what they
think they see, not what they actually see, and then complain.
Put details in the description using text six inches high, and
the average eBay buyer will still not read it.

Not what I've found.

You only have to read the feedback to see its one hell of a problem.

Examples .

The average ebay buyer is overstating it, but its surprisingly common.

it sems the peole you know or are advising haven't been using ebay,
but they do have Ls and Rs on their boots because they don't undersatnd feet come in pairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
News wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

And large screen rear projection sets
were common enough at one time.

But plenty never were aware of those.

OK, I'll confess. When Dave first posted,
I had no idea what a rear projection TV was.

I did, but am aware that few who buy TVs know that they even exist.

How do you know that ?

How did I know what,

That those currently using ebay to buy a TV don;t
know about back projection TVs or the differnce
between CRT, plasma, LCD, TFT, and anything else.

Because a number of them have asked me
to get them one at a garage or yard sale.

So not ebay users then that are used ti the internet.

Those have done that too, and they have asked me
to do that too, because they aren't use to the internet.

And some of them are kids who don't have any way
to pay for stuff bought on ebay, so they pay me the
cash and I buy what they want on ebay for them.

It seems those that ask you havent the ability or skills
needed to work out what they want so they ask you.

That isn't correct with the garage/yard sales. They aren't
prepared to get up 5am and spend an hour or two doing
the garage/yard sale run when they know that I do that
every week and am happy to ring them and check if they
want what I have in front of me when I do that for them.

One of them is normally out doing casual labor
like picking or pruning or harvesting at that time
so its handy for him to get me to do it for him.

So they aren't ebay or internet users as I suspect.

You are just plain wrong on that. One of the kids
who can't buy stuff himself just sends me the link
to the ebay item he wants and I buy it and have
it delivered to his address instead of mine.

or have asked me to retune their TV when the local
channels have changed as we moved from analog
to digital TV etc and have asked me about what to
get when their older CRT TV needs a set top box etc.

So they aren't tech savvy.

Just like the one who bought that TV from lefty**** Dave.

Almost none of them are even aware of
the difference between LCD and plasma
TVs, let alone rear projection TVs.

Would yuo suggest they trust the sellers discription then.

They have no choice on that when they don't have someone
like me they can ask about an ebay item that they have found
before they actually buy it. Some of them do that routinely.

So if they saw a 420" TV for sale they'd buy it.

Unlikely given how hard it would be to get
anyone to deliver it or even move it themselves.

not know about TVs they wouldn;t stop and think hold on
maybe it's a typo in teh ad and it';s not really a 420 inch but
a 42 inch maybe we should check, no they ask you fair enough.
Inteligent people would ask someone that knew more.

Not all of them have someone they can do that with.

I've even had one of the kids who was working in one
of our major retail chains ask me to answer a question
one of the customers in the store had asked him that
he couldn't answer.

And **** all rear projection TVs have ever show up on
the local facebook buy sell swap groups that have largely
replaced operations like Craig's List and Freecycle etc now.

so seeing such a thing doesn;t make
then think, (that is using their brains).

Most of them know so little about technology
that they just have to wing it and hope for the
best if they don't have someone like me to ask.

If they heard of a rembrandt on a facebook
swap site asking to swap it for a TV......

Most of them wouldn't even know what a rembrandt was.

They do know what a TV is.

what they are or how many of those
who buy TVs know that they exist ?

Most don't even realise the difference between LCD and plasma.

Maybe they don;lt care

Corse they don't.

So the difernce doesn't matter then does it.

It clearly did for the kid of the woman who bought
the rear projection TV off lefty**** Dave.

then maybe she shouldn;t have brought a rear projection TV.

She obviously shouldn't, but it clearly wasn't at all
obvious to her what she was buying until she showed
up at Dave's place and realised it wasn't what she wanted
because he was too stupid to include a photo from the side.

or should have asked the sellar what TV it was.

That level of person can't do that with every
technical term that they don't understand.

I bet she doesn't know what SCART is either.

Having said that, if I saw something like
that on Freecycle, I would Google first.

Me too, but the average ebay buyer of TVs doesn't.

Well I think they shouldn't be bidding if
they don't know what they are bidding on.

More fool you.

the fool wouold only bid on something
they have little or no understanding of.

They don't realise that they have little or no
understanding of the different TVs available.

Then don;t bid on TVs if yuo don;t
know anything about them.

She did know that she didn't want
that one when she saw it in the flesh.

That's the thing about bidding isn;t it.

Not for those who know very little about
the technology but do need to get a TV.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
News wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
News wrote

I did, but am aware that few who buy TVs know that they even exist.

How do you know that ?

Were I to guess, I would side with Rod on this one.

When he said few I assume he meant few
who buy TVs know what they are buying.

Know about what different TV technologys are available.

How will you know which TV to buy if
you don't understand the technologies.

She clearly knew that it wasn't what she
wanted when she saw it in the flesh.

Why buy a TV anyway

Presumably because her son wants to
watch TV or something radical like that.

why not a monitor.

I doubt she even understands the difference.

The most most can manage is whether its an older
rather deep TV or a modern much thinner one.

you mean cheap or expensive,

Nope.

cheap bad expensove good.

She clearly didn't want it when she saw it in the flesh.

would you remain in that state of ignorance
if you were planning on buying a TV.

Plenty do.

If they buy a 8k TV from a
poundshop that is their choice.

Same with buying it on ebay for much less.

Would you worry about the size or wieght,

Hardly anyone does until its time to put it on the wall etc.

I've never mounted a TV on a wall, hardly
anyone that IO know has done that.

Your problem.

Except one who brought a 55 inch cuvred 4K with
the latest surround sound with suround sound he
hasd someone come in and install it.

Plenty have enough of a clue to do it themselves.

It ain't rocket science.

He didn't even consider ebay I wonder why.

More money than sense most likely.

I didn't either with the last of the ****ing great wide
screen CRT TVs. When it got delivered, it was obvious
that it was too heavy for me to put on the quite low
thing I stood it on and had to get one of my
neighbour mates to give me a hand to lift it onto that.

you ordered a TV without knowing
it's specs of size and weight.

I knew the size, didn't care about the weight.

whether it had freeview, or FV HD. 4K or HD ready.

**** all of that level of buyer understand anything
like that and I know that because a couple of them
have asked me to get one at a garage/yard sale

so not ebay then.

ebay too.

So these peole aren;lt buying on ebay.

Fraid so, even more than at garage/yard sales.

and I even had to ask them whether they wanted a modern
flat screen TV or whether an older CRT TV would do.

So they don;t know what they want
why would they buy off ebay.

Because its cheaper there than otherwise.

Same with a top of the line Hyundai that a mate
of mine has just bought on ebay for only $300,
because it had sensor failure that meant that it
wouldn't even start when he showed up to buy it.

He bought it home on the car trailer that he had
taken to pick it up with and its perfect now that
the sensor has been replaced.

Me too, but the average ebay buyer of TVs doesn't.

Well I think they shouldn't be bidding if they don't know
what they are bidding on. But I guess that's a lot to expect.

A huge problem for eBay sellers. Buyers buy what they
think they see, not what they actually see, and then complain.
Put details in the description using text six inches high, and
the average eBay buyer will still not read it.

Not what I've found.

You only have to read the feedback to see its one hell of a problem.

Examples .

Go and find them for yourself.

The average ebay buyer is overstating it, but its surprisingly common.

it sems the peole you know or are advising haven't been using ebay,

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

reams of the **** you were warned about flushed where it belongs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
Sorry? It said DLP rear projection. Exactly how the makers describe it.

sigh

I meant SELL THEM THE ****ING BENEFITS OF IT! Tell them WHY they want
it. Don't just give them an acronym that nobody understands, and hope
they do.

If the item needs 'selling' I don't want to know. It's simply there for
anyone who would like to buy it.

I've never heard of DLP, for a start.

That really surprises me on this group. You've never encountered an
overhead projector and wondered how it worked? Or a cinema one?

Joe Average looking for a cheap
second-hand telly certainly won't have.

But Joe Average probably wouldn't use Ebay for this. Especially collection
only.

You really aren't a born salesman, are you?

Hadn't you noticed I abhor hype?

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
The most most can manage is whether its an older
rather deep TV or a modern much thinner one.

You ever seen a 45" widescreen CRT TV?

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
But it's not floor standing. Which makes it
rather different from many rear projection sets.

Then say that explicitly.

It shows that in the pictures, ******.

It would be nice for you to comment on something you actually knew
something about. For a change.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Scion wrote
Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

snip

And generally, people bright enough to use Ebay ain't idiots.

choke

OK. How many times have you bought or sold on Ebay?

More than you, thanks.

Why are you answering a personal question aimed at another? Is this your
crystal ball in action again - or simply yet another case of you not
understanding plain English?

How many idiots have you encountered while doing this?

Quite a few, and it depends on what you are buying and selling too.

Goes without saying that any of your transactions involves at least one
idiot.

--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scion wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

In article , Scion
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

snip

And generally, people bright enough to use Ebay ain't idiots.

choke

OK. How many times have you bought or sold on Ebay? How many idiots
have you encountered while doing this?

A couple of hundred times. Probably 50 sales, 150 purchases and idiots
in both camps.

I've got in excess of 1000. And never met an idiot. A couple of
charlatans, though.

And I wouldn't describe 'my' buyer as an idiot either.

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
The most most can manage is whether its an older
rather deep TV or a modern much thinner one.

You ever seen a 45" widescreen CRT TV?

There was one about that size at the demo of HDTV at Wimbledon in 1990. It
took 3 people to lift it.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
The most most can manage is whether its an older
rather deep TV or a modern much thinner one.

You ever seen a 45" widescreen CRT TV?

There was one about that size at the demo of HDTV at Wimbledon in 1990.
It took 3 people to lift it.

I've seen one just under 40". And it would have been collection only. ;-)

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

snip

And generally, people bright enough to use Ebay ain't idiots.

choke

OK. How many times have you bought or sold on Ebay? How many idiots
have you encountered while doing this?

A couple of hundred times. Probably 50 sales, 150 purchases and idiots
in both camps.

I've got in excess of 1000. And never met an idiot.

Keep it up - you will eventually :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 13:06:41 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I meant SELL THEM THE ****ING BENEFITS OF IT! Tell them WHY they want
it. Don't just give them an acronym that nobody understands, and hope
they do.

If the item needs 'selling' I don't want to know. It's simply there for
anyone who would like to buy it.

Yes, but you're not explaining to people who MIGHT want to buy it why
they want to buy it.

Having googled about it, I might well be interested - geography apart.

I've never heard of DLP, for a start.

That really surprises me on this group. You've never encountered an
overhead projector and wondered how it worked? Or a cinema one?

Yes, but I've never heard the acronym.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 13:18:56 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
But it's not floor standing. Which makes it
rather different from many rear projection sets.

Then say that explicitly.

It shows that in the pictures, ******.

It would be nice for you to comment on something you actually knew
something about. For a change.

That will give me a good laugh for the rest of the week.

I remeber when he said how he carried a large CRT TV and how it was heavy at the front but could tell the weight of a box just by picking up any one corner.

*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

or in smaller groups of one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 14:32:04 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 13:06:41 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I meant SELL THEM THE ****ING BENEFITS OF IT! Tell them WHY they want
it. Don't just give them an acronym that nobody understands, and hope
they do.

If the item needs 'selling' I don't want to know. It's simply there for
anyone who would like to buy it.

Yes, but you're not explaining to people who MIGHT want to buy it why
they want to buy it.

You mean get Apple to do an ad for it, seems a bit OTT to me.

Having googled about it, I might well be interested - geography apart.

So you expect the seller to explain to you why you might want it.
But how will the seller know your address or any buyers address.

I've never heard of DLP, for a start.

That really surprises me on this group. You've never encountered an
overhead projector and wondered how it worked? Or a cinema one?

Yes, but I've never heard the acronym.

I haven't either and that would make me look more closley not less and then order it.
Glad I didn't listen to a friend when I tiold him I'm going out saturday to buy an SLR, he told me it was illegal for me to own one as I was under 18.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 14:13:30 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
The most most can manage is whether its an older
rather deep TV or a modern much thinner one.

You ever seen a 45" widescreen CRT TV?

There was one about that size at the demo of HDTV at Wimbledon in 1990.
It took 3 people to lift it.

I've seen one just under 40". And it would have been collection only. ;-)

wonder why it's collction only. I'm looking for qa second hanve crips chocalate bar vending machine found one for 100 quid again colelction only I wonder why.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 13:06:41 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I meant SELL THEM THE ****ING BENEFITS OF IT! Tell them WHY they want
it. Don't just give them an acronym that nobody understands, and hope
they do.

If the item needs 'selling' I don't want to know. It's simply there for
anyone who would like to buy it.

Yes, but you're not explaining to people who MIGHT want to buy it why
they want to buy it.

No need to. The most likely sale (IMHO) would be to someone who knew what
it was. And possibly wanted a second one, maybe as a spare. Not to someone
who merely wanted a TV.

Having googled about it, I might well be interested - geography apart.

I've never heard of DLP, for a start.

That really surprises me on this group. You've never encountered an
overhead projector and wondered how it worked? Or a cinema one?

Yes, but I've never heard the acronym.

That does surprise me. DLP technology was quite a milestone for projection
systems.

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 15:35:48 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes, but you're not explaining to people who MIGHT want to buy it why
they want to buy it.

No need to.

Then don't complain when it gets bought by somebody who doesn't
understand what it is, and thinks it's a flat screen - and don't complain
if it doesn't fetch as much as it could, because you've not piqued the
interest of somebody semi-interested.

I've never heard of DLP, for a start.

That really surprises me on this group. You've never encountered an
overhead projector and wondered how it worked? Or a cinema one?

Yes, but I've never heard the acronym.

That does surprise me. DLP technology was quite a milestone for
projection systems.

I'm sure it was. But I'm not a projector anorak. TBH, I thought projector
TVs were one of those very short-lived fads that died a death decades ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 15:54:49 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 15:35:48 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes, but you're not explaining to people who MIGHT want to buy it why
they want to buy it.

No need to.

Then don't complain when it gets bought by somebody who doesn't
understand what it is, and thinks it's a flat screen

So what sort of screen does it have ?
Round, oval, curved, ...... and of course why does it matter or why does it have to be flat.

- and don't complain
if it doesn't fetch as much as it could, because you've not piqued the
interest of somebody semi-interested.

maybe it isn't worth the time and effort, some people have better things to do.

A friend of mine used to spend 3-4 hours on an ebay webpage listing everything then the product sold for about £30-£30 that he paid £10 for.
He gave that up as now he write mobile phone apps ad gets paid as a freelancer
at £250-£300 a 8-9 hour day.

I've never heard of DLP, for a start.

That really surprises me on this group. You've never encountered an
overhead projector and wondered how it worked? Or a cinema one?

Yes, but I've never heard the acronym.

That does surprise me. DLP technology was quite a milestone for
projection systems.

I'm sure it was. But I'm not a projector anorak. TBH, I thought projector
TVs were one of those very short-lived fads that died a death decades ago..

those were the sports TV type thing in the students union and other places.
All teh overhead projectors here were called OHPs for some reason,
but they weren't digital, and they were pretty crap would want one of them new for free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I've seen one just under 40". And it would have been collection only.
;-)

wonder why it's collction only. I'm looking for qa second hanve crips
chocalate bar vending machine found one for 100 quid again colelction
only I wonder why.

Cost and hassle of decent packaging.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian put finger to keyboard:

[...]

The CRT ones were dire; expensive and bulky with no improvement (and in
most cases a decrease) in picture quality over normal CRT sets. I only
ever saw them in showrooms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
Yes, but you're not explaining to people who MIGHT want to buy it why
they want to buy it.

No need to.

Then don't complain when it gets bought by somebody who doesn't
understand what it is, and thinks it's a flat screen - and don't
complain if it doesn't fetch as much as it could, because you've not
piqued the interest of somebody semi-interested.

I'm not complaining. Just introduced it as a topic for discussion. To make
a change from the usual racial ranting. Nor did I expect it to fetch much.
Just hoped it would make enough to cover the bother of listing it.

I've never heard of DLP, for a start.

That really surprises me on this group. You've never encountered an
overhead projector and wondered how it worked? Or a cinema one?

Yes, but I've never heard the acronym.

That does surprise me. DLP technology was quite a milestone for
projection systems.

I'm sure it was. But I'm not a projector anorak. TBH, I thought
projector TVs were one of those very short-lived fads that died a death
decades ago.

They've come and gone several times. Rather like 3D. The three tube colour
ones were generally a nightmare. DLP got round most of their problems.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

3 tube colour ones had to move to 4 tube if decent brightness
was required as the red phosphors were low output. The US was keen on
projectors some 20 years ago as it gave them 50"+ screens, but the
brightness was poor. Schmitt optical system comes to mind. They were OK
if the room was darkened. I have vague memories of DLPs suffering from
stuck pixels as a common problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joe Average looking for a cheap
second-hand telly certainly won't have.

But Joe Average probably wouldn't use Ebay for this. Especially collection
only.

I would certainly consider it, and at first glance to me your original
ad looked like a normal LCD screen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 13:21:51 +0100, charles wrote:

You ever seen a 45" widescreen CRT TV?

There was one about that size at the demo of HDTV at Wimbledon in 1990.

I saw one of similar size and most definately High Def at IBC in
Brighton (that dates it)...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Adrian wrote

Sorry? It said DLP rear projection. Exactly how the makers describe it.

sigh

I meant SELL THEM THE ****ING BENEFITS OF IT!
Tell them WHY they want it. Don't just give them an
acronym that nobody understands, and hope they do.

If the item needs 'selling' I don't want to know.
It's simply there for anyone who would like to buy it.

I've never heard of DLP, for a start.

That really surprises me on this group.

It doesn’t me.

You've never encountered an overhead
projector and wondered how it worked?
Or a cinema one?

Many who did still wouldn’t know what DLP means.

Joe Average looking for a cheap
second-hand telly certainly won't have.

But Joe Average probably wouldn't use Ebay for this.

Corse they do. Particularly the ones who havent
even noticed the facebook buy sell swap groups.

Especially collection only.

That is typical with the bigger stuff that isn't cheap to ship.

Hell of a problem with beer and spirit brewing
barrels and stocks of empty bottles, very few
have anything other than collection only.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote:

The most most can manage is whether its an older
rather deep TV or a modern much thinner one.

You ever seen a 45" widescreen CRT TV?

I've actually got one myself.

And that sort of TV buyer doesn’t understand that sort of thing either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Scion wrote
Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

And generally, people bright enough to use Ebay ain't idiots.

choke

OK. How many times have you bought or sold on Ebay?

More than you, thanks.

Why are you answering a personal question aimed at another?

Because I feel like doing that.

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could
leave for dead flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But it's not floor standing. Which makes it
rather different from many rear projection sets.

Then say that explicitly.

I remeber when he said how he carried a large CRT TV and how it was heavy
at the front but could tell the weight of a box just by picking up any one
corner.

That was Pete, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 16:39:52 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I've seen one just under 40". And it would have been collection only.
;-)

wonder why it's collction only. I'm looking for qa second hand crip
chocalate bar vending machine found one for 100 quid again colelction
only I wonder why.

Cost and hassle of decent packaging.

Your missing the sarcasim.

Which was if someone is buying any physical object
and it says collection only the purchaser should have some understanding
of why the seller wants it collected rather than post it to the buyer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

****************

Why are you answering a personal question aimed at another?

Because I feel like doing that.

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could
leave for dead flushed where it belongs

***************

You just couldn't make this up...

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 19:55:43 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

I've never heard of DLP, for a start.

That really surprises me on this group.

It doesn't me.

Me niether to be honest, but I'm the sort that if I don;t know what something means I try to find out rather than ignore it in the hope it goes away or isn't important.

You've never encountered an overhead
projector and wondered how it worked?
Or a cinema one?

Many who did still wouldn't know what DLP means.

most of the overhead projectors in existance are called OHP
as in over head projector.
As for what the D or L might mean I hadn't a clue.
L for Long play ? niether overheard or projector have an L in the spelling.
D must be for decimal

or if you use google

Data level parallelism
Data loss prevention
Disneyland Paris

Joe Average looking for a cheap
second-hand telly certainly won't have.

But Joe Average probably wouldn't use Ebay for this.

Corse they do. Particularly the ones who havent
even noticed the facebook buy sell swap groups.

mostly so called tech savvy would use ebay as yuo have to have an account and know what you're doing to get one.
any idiot can use facebook and at almost any age.

Especially collection only.

That is typical with the bigger stuff that isn't cheap to ship.

Apart from building materails anything that costs more to post than it's worth is usually crap or very specilised or a colelctors item that no one really wants.

Hell of a problem with beer and spirit brewing
barrels and stocks of empty bottles, very few
have anything other than collection only.

Just suppose someone turned up after ordering say 12 barrels
from you on ebay and said sorry they are too large I can't get them in my handbag ? and said "yuo should have taken pictures of them against something else as I couldn't tell how big they were. I thought as they were from and for a micro-brewery they'd be small enough to get in my handbag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Many who did still wouldn't know what DLP means.

most of the overhead projectors in existance are called OHP
as in over head projector.

And you've never wondered how they work?

As for what the D or L might mean I hadn't a clue. L for Long play ?
niether overheard or projector have an L in the spelling. D must be for
decimal

Google Digital Light Processing if you want to understand it.

--
*When chemists die, they barium.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 14:26:41 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Many who did still wouldn't know what DLP means.

most of the overhead projectors in existance are called OHP
as in over head projector.

And you've never wondered how they work?

I've know how OHPs work I've carried enough of them about between classrooms.
I'd never come across DLPs.

As for what the D or L might mean I hadn't a clue. L for Long play ?
niether overheard or projector have an L in the spelling. D must be for
decimal

Google Digital Light Processing if you want to understand it.

I had no reason to. If I saw a TV with that technology then I might be intrested in it and on readign it I'd say well clear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Many who did still wouldn't know what DLP means.

most of the overhead projectors in existance are called OHP
as in over head projector.

And you've never wondered how they work?

I've know how OHPs work I've carried enough of them about between
classrooms. I'd never come across DLPs.

I dunno which are the most popular for projectors these days - LCD or DLP
- but DLP is certainly still available. They were all the rage at one
time. Not something I have, so no expert. But I'm surprised you've never
come across one.

As for what the D or L might mean I hadn't a clue. L for Long play ?
niether overheard or projector have an L in the spelling. D must be
for decimal

Google Digital Light Processing if you want to understand it.

I had no reason to. If I saw a TV with that technology then I might be
intrested in it and on readign it I'd say well clear.

You don't appear to have much interest at all in such things.

I well remember being most impressed with the first DLP projector I saw.
It was light years ahead of the previous three CRT designs.

--
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 17:11:04 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I had no reason to. If I saw a TV with that technology then I might be
intrested in it and on readign it I'd say well clear.

You don't appear to have much interest at all in such things.

Y'know, Dave, if you put half of what you've already typed for this
thread into the eBay auction, you'd have more than done what's being
suggested... and which you're saying you CBA to do...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But it's not floor standing. Which makes it
rather different from many rear projection sets.

Then say that explicitly.

I remeber when he said how he carried a large CRT TV and how it was
heavy at the front but could tell the weight of a box just by picking
up any one corner.

That was Pete, stupid.

****************

Why are you answering a personal question aimed at another?

Because I feel like doing that.

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could
leave for dead flushed where it belongs

***************

None of that says anything about lifting any box by the corner, stupid.

You just couldn't make this up...

Yes, you actually are that stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
[...]

She clearly isn't tech savvy.

as yuo have to have an account and
know what you're doing to get one.

Its just as easy to get an ebay account as a facebook account.

BULL****, most obviously with cars, boats, houses, vans etc etc etc.

Hell of a problem with beer and spirit brewing
barrels and stocks of empty bottles, very few
have anything other than collection only.

Just suppose someone turned up after ordering say 12 barrels
from you on ebay and said sorry they are too large I can't get
them in my handbag ? and said "yuo should have taken pictures
of them against something else as I couldn't tell how big they were.
I thought as they were from and for a micro-brewery they'd be small
enough to get in my handbag.

You'll end up completely blind if you don't watch out, boy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 17:11:04 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I had no reason to. If I saw a TV with that technology then I might be
intrested in it and on readign it I'd say well clear.

You don't appear to have much interest at all in such things.

Y'know, Dave, if you put half of what you've already typed for this
thread into the eBay auction, you'd have more than done what's being
suggested... and which you're saying you CBA to do...

So what's your excuse for all your typing? ;-)

The re-list already has had a bid. Often don't expect to see any until the
last minute.

What I truly am amazed at here was so many not knowing what DLP and rear
projection mean.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 21:40:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote

So they must have some idea of the specs of the TV they want.

Nope, nothing to do with specs, everything to do with how it looks.

so they don;t care about anything other than looks, I think that's highly unlikely. Most peole that I know loking for TVs star with a sceen size.
Are you saying TVs couldn't care less provided it looks OK.

That's how she decided it wasn't what she wanted when she showed
up at Dave's place.

But you say they decide on looks only.

He didn't provide her with a single spec and had
that cause her to change her mind on whether she wanted it.

She wanted it because it looked nice as you say she wasn't interested in any of teh specs, NO TV buyer on ebay ever think of specs just looks.
Not to sure I believe you here.

This happens with most prodycts.

Nope. Most don't get involved with specs at all, because they
don't understand them even if they are presented with them.

Is it really the sellers problem if she thought it was a cheap Apple watch.

Yes and the idea of depth or deep as that's an odd one isn't it.

Irrelevant to it being what gets them deciding that its not what they want.

and how do they decide that ? oh I forgot on looks according to you.

"Nope, nothing to do with specs, everything to do with how it looks."

If they're clever they might ask why plasma TV exist if LCD are better,

Nothing to do with clever. If they ask that you can just say
that plasma TV were common in the retail market first.

and why should that matter if all they are interest in is the look.

"Nope, nothing to do with specs, everything to do with how it looks."

and why they shouldn't buy a plasm
TV, could you explain that to them,

Yep, by telling them that they take more power,
and don't last as long and are becoming obsolete.
I wouldn't say obsolescent even tho that is the
technically correct term that should be used.

why would anyone be intrested in that ?
Rememeber why they are buyiong the TV.

"Nope, nothing to do with specs, everything to do with how it looks."

Sounds a bit dodgey to me,

Nothing dodgy about it. Its quite convenient for kids who
find it much more convenient to hand me the cash and
have me order it for them on ebay than to fart around
and go down the post office, put their cash into one
of those cards that can be loaded with cash, lose a
significant chunk of that cash in the process, and
don't have any easy way to get to the post office.
While I routinely walk that far, none of them do.

Maybe that's why we have so many fat kids in the UK.
I would have thought that if you're country doesn't allow kids to easily order stuff on-line there might be a reason for it.
It might be a bit differnt for you where you are but I'd be worried about having kids come to me and me ordering stuff for them and them coming back to collect it. I'd want to know why their parents can't do it for them.

Of course iot depends on what yopu are buyiong on their behalf.

Nope. What is buyable on ebay. When I get something
for them at a garage sale they just pay me when I
deliver it or they come and pick it up at my place.

As I said I've been asked to buy beer and fags for kids.
One even asked me why I would and I said because I don't want to.
For me the law had nothing to do with it.

I might wonder why their parents or guardian don't do it.

In the case of the turks, their parents aren't capable
of doing it.

why not, could they actually order stuff for themselves.

I did the entire process of getting the
net setup at their place,

why set the net up , what will they use it for as they obviously can;t use ebay what makes you think they can use the 'net'

ordering the DSL and
phone service, physically installing the modem/
router, showing the kids how to use it etc etc etc.

after you showing them they couldn't do it themselves.

I did the entire process of getting the new wife's
spouse visa and police reports too for the same
reason. The parents have very little english at all.

That's one of the problem with immigration in that how many peolpe need to support them.

In the case of the youngest turk currently, his brother
refuses to buy stuff on ebay for him. Dunno why,
whether he's an arsehole, he's too busy, the kid has
been an irritating little **** in the past or just what.

Just the sort of immigrant we all want in our countries.
Pity education is so impossible or ignored.

He can be a complete pain in the arse at times,

I see you have taught him well ;-P

typical teenager. He wasted the best part of an
hour of my time last night trying to get me to
lend him one of my drills so he could make a
fist sized hole in his desk to put the cables for
his Xbox thru that.

It took you an hour to say NO. What language were you using.
When anuyone doesn;t understand No I use the international know phrase
"**** Off" I've not know anyone to not understand that.

He wants to drill a series of
small holes in a circle and the break that out
and leave the hole that way. I told him that
that was too ****ing crude.

If it works and that's all you have then that's the way to do it.

and grotty and that
the right way to do that was with a router.

No the right way is with a hole saw.

but
that I wasn't prepared to lend him mine and
that I would come and do it myself if his parents
were happy with that sized hole in the desk.

Good move to check with parents.

He wants to do it the rough way anyway.
He's only just turned 13 and can be little
**** at times like many teenagers.

Then make sure you're a bigger ****, I'm sure you have enough experience to pull it off.

Those that can't pay for the ebay item because they
are too young to have a card, obviously don't drive
and don't have a car of their own and most of them
dont have a bike either and find it more convenient
to walk to my place than the distribution center.

well that makes sense but I think financial companies
and business don't give kids CC for a good reason.

Sure, that's is obviously the reason they don't have
one, but they can certainly have a debit card. But kids
are so short of cash that even putting the money into
their own bank account isn't as convenient for them
as just handing me the cash that they have just
scrounged from their parents etc.

Thios si a problem that most ignore with immigration sure lets have 100,000
or 1 million, but who's supporting them in the way that you are. It's always the poor never the rich who gain by employing them on lower wages than they;'d pay anyone eles.

These are the kids that I installed the internet at their house for,
so I got to meet the parents there. The 13 year old moved in
next door to them and his dad was monstered by him into
showing up at my place quite soon after they moved in.

really not sure what this means
"and his dad was **monstered** by him into
showing up at my place"

I might guess but could be well off, because if it's what I think I;d have called the police.

All the parents wave to me as they walk past the house to visit
other turks in the next street over as they do almost daily.

A bit like some of us (me excluded) do when the queen passes by.

None of them smoke. One of their dads used to
drink and has spent time in turkey in jail for murder.
He's very easy to get on with tho he doesn't have
a lot of english. The 13 year old's dad has almost
no english at all.

In the UK the govenrment and their suppoorts say therse people are all doctors and nurses and support the economy.

This has been going on for a hell of a long time now.
The kids of my next door neighbours that used to
show up at my place before they went to school
and play games on their VIC20 and C64 have now
got kids of their own and those second generation
of kids are now those that get me to order stuff on
ebay and delivered to their place.

2nd generationn and tehy still can;t order stuff for themselves,
doesn't say much for teh education system.

One of the kids of one of the neighbour's kids who
used to hang around when I was building the house
can buy grog legally but prefers my home brew.

I've heard from my friend that good beer aka ale is almost impossible to get
but he gets it from someone that imports it from the UK.

Trouble is the bugger gets so blotto that he hardly
ever remembers to keep the bottles and I'll end up
running out that way. And the bugger drinks about
5 times as much as I do so I told him that enough
was enough and that he'd have to make his own.

Yes why not show him how it's done.

I've bought all sorts of things for them, everything
from sunnys to phones to caps with fans on them,
to clothes, jewellery, web cams, joysticks, watches.

Where are these peole getting money from if they can't speak the langaugev can't work can't get credit cards and after years and years can;t speak the language or it appears function in Aus. as a citizen.

well I'd still wonder why they can't get
their parents to buy stuff for them on ebay

None of the turks parents can use ebay and can't
even read english. The mother of one of them never
went to school at all and can't even read or write.

And how long have they been in Aus ?

or anywhere else including the pub.

None of them are allowed into the pub.

why's that ?

One of them has his own facebook buy
sell swap group, but no one but he uses it.

he swaps with himself, maybe he should go into politics.

just sends me the link to the ebay item he
wants and I buy it and have it delivered
to his address instead of mine.

Why didn't you read this bit ?

I did but didn't understand a reason for doing it this way.
I order stuff for studetn but it has to come to me,

Its more convenient for them to have it
delivered to their place with their name
on it with those who have someone going
to be home. They all go home for lunch
from the school which is close to their
place so there is normally someone there.

I have to keep track of things and ensure that if it's signed for I know who's got it. What if the kids says X or Y didn't arrive but the sender say he posted it.

Just like the one who bought that TV from lefty**** Dave.

then best they don't use ebay then and ask you instead.

She may not have anyone she get to do that for her.

That would be her problem wouldn't it.

That's why they just wing it and hope for the best.

Turned out fine, just wasted her petrol.

well whats the problem then yuo bid ion an item that you like the lok of
but don;t when you actually see it. What;s the problem.
Of course the seller has had their time wasted and needs to re-advertise
and might even have top pay more to do.

Even if Dave had monstered her into paying
for what she didn't want, she could have just
sold it on ebay again. Or worn the dud
transaction and wrote it off to experience.

Yep.

Same with anything else.

when I wanted my roof done I used a roofer

I work out how to do it myself. That's what I did when
I built the entire house from scratch on a bare block
of land.

I wouldn't waste my time like that, collecting the rubbish and take it to the skip I'd prefer to pay someone to do those sort of tasks for me.
Very few peole in the UK can or are allowed to build their own homes the majority that do build under piers and bridges and can't do anything for a living. They are quite good at building with cardboard too.
Of course any fool can put up a building.

You can only do that if it's not as described.

Nope, also if it isn't what you want when it shows up.

Nope, completely wrong.

Dehydrated water was available on amazon would they question
this product or mearly question the cost of shipping a baths load.

Some of them clearly do get caught by that sort of scam.

it wasn't a scam it was windup or joke.

Whatever.

Most had a clue but there's always those that don't.
I think it's sad that everything has to be set up for the clueless.

They had to because of the large numbers of stupid people.
The comments and reviews were funny and anyone with an
ounce or 28grams of sense would get it.

Plenty don't have that.

yes I know.

rather than blame the seller for NOT spellling out every single detail so
even the local cat can understand that a catamaran is NOT a breed of cat.

My local cat can't.

No suprise there then.
Try putting it out at sea see if it floats.

Just like with you and how quite a bit of what is done on ebay is done.

yep I know how ebay works.

It's the seller's problem when they show up, decide
its not what they want and refuse to pay for it. Its
the seller's time that is wasted that could have been
so easily avoided by including a photo from the side.

They could do a 3 hour 3D HD surround sound movie too, but would that stop someone thinking it was a watch ?

There's a section on ebay where you can ask the seller
a Q if there's something you don't understand.

The problem is that that sort of buyer doesn't realise
that they don't understand so can't ask the question.

Then like the kids you order for peehaps they need supervision
when oon the web.

If it's common problem or omission it'll
get noticed by more than just one person.

But no one asked what a DLP rear projection TV was.

exactly so they either knew and weren't interested
or they didn't know and we or weren't interested.

I didn;t see anything on the ad that told me it' wasn't a pocket TV.

She didn't want a pocket TV.

How was the seller meant to know that ?

It didn;t say this can be folded up and put in your pocket.
didn't say how long the battieris lasted either.
Didn;t say it wasn't suitable for use in the USA.
It didn't say it wasn't 3D.

Didn't say it wasn't an LCD or plasma TV either.

So if I turned up saying I thought it was a pocket TV that's the sellers fault for not saying it's a pocket TV as I wouldn't have bid if Id known.

But the best thing with any product is to include a link to it
where a person should they be intresed can get further info.

A link to the wikipedia article on rear projection TVs is
no use to someone like that, they get nothing from that.

That's their problem.

A like to a Which article that mentions rear projection
TVs might be useful, it that even exists.

How would that help her in this case.

How would the seller know what they want.

They don't,

so best to keep them away from ebay if they don;t know what they want.

but it should be obvious to even someone
as stupid as Dave that some wouldn't want a dinosaur
like that and want a modern LCD or plasma instead.

Why there's a lots of antiques on ebay.
If you want a modern TV then buy opne, don't look at one nearly 10 years old.

I bet she googled the address.
Did she turn up in a car or on a push bike or on foot.

Since its pickup only, presumably in car or a taxi or uber etc.

but you don't know that do you.

why would anyone want to buy a DLP rear projection TV.

Dave obviously did.

yes about 8 or 9 years ago it seems.
There's polenty still on ebay from a fiver or more and free P&P

Why buy a rear projection TV.

Ask Dave.

why he was selling ity, you shouild ask buyers why they are buying and sellers why they are selling. That used to be a pretty standard question for those with the brains to ask it.

Why buy a TV without seeing it.

You mostly don't have any alternative with ebay.

isn't that why yard sales are better ?

Not necessarily. They involve a lot more running around
in person.

why are you saying if the buyer would have seen this DLP TV in a boot sale
what then ?

I didn't even bother with a test drive with the last car
I bought new, just checked it on the net and rang up
the dealers to get the best price I could find.

The dealer principal was shocked speechless.

Well I bet his had some strange cusomers in his time but there's always one a little stranger than the others. Would he still have sold it to you
if you'd said but it's top speed is less than 200MPH I want one that goes faster.

Use skype or other video services to take
LIVE pictures and sound of the product

You can do that on facebook, no need to use skype.

FB wants all you info though and I don't want o be logged into FB.
I dont want FB to knbow what I'm doing and when and where.

maybe skype will be the new ebay.

Not a chance given that facebook already has that.

so why do people use Skype rather than FB ?
Google has a similar thing Apple too

Garage sales are different again, most of that stuff
is seen in the flesh first and you decide if you want
it or not.

Hopefully in the case of TVs there will be a way to power them up.

Yeah, there always is with something like that and power
tools and vacuums and lawn mowers and cars etc.

So why do you think people go to these places rather than risk buying somethiong
on ebay that deosn;t work.

But you do spend quite a bit of the time tearing
around first thing in the morning and find
nothing of any interest to buy rather than just
scrolling thru whats on offer in the facebook
buy sell swap groups.

make your choice, pay the money.

Or miss out.

How do you know you've nissed out ?

Of course you could hire someone to do it for you.

Or get someone who goes to them all like
me to look out for what you want for free.

Yep, if you've nothing better to do you can do everyones shopping on line too.

That level of person can't do that with every
technical term that they don't understand.

Maybe that level of person should trust themselevs to buy a TV.

You presumably meant shouldn't.

Yep.
If I wanted to sail around the world and buy a boat
on ebay I wouldn't trust myself or the seller to make
the best decision for me.

Two of my mates have done just that and another
couple I know thru another of my mates.

Did they know whether or not they wanted a sail boat, a motor boat, a dinghy, a submarine, a row boatm or did they just want something that floats on water.

It can still be worthwhile, you don't often
see real dinosaurs like what Dave was
selling without a proper set of photos.

Not what I've seen on ebay.

Then you need to get out more.

Since when or how does ebay get you out more, I thought ebay was an on-line activity.

People just don't put much effort into getting rid of crap.

Like hell they don't. Its so easy to do now that it takes seconds.

really how long does it take to take photot of TV from every conceivable angle.

Most sellers would expect the person showing up to know
what they have brought, or what they were bidding on.

More fool them. **** all do with stuff like TVs.

didn't realise there were so many idioots on ebay perhaps they should get out more. Would you order a DLP TV for the kid next door?

I bet she doesn't know what SCART is either.

Is that the TV sellers problem ?

Nope, but not having a decent set of photos is
when the buyer shows up and decides its not what
they want and wastes the sellers time that way.

Makes a lot more sense to use much less time by
including a photo from the side which will be a
lot more use to someone like that than saying
is a DLP rear projection TV.

it might not have composite video
either, nor HD ready, nor 3D or 4K .

if yuo want a TV that's 4k

That sort of buyer doesn't.

so there's no 4k TVs on ebay then ?

Irrelevant to what that sort of buyer knows about.

How do you know what trehy buyers wants ?
On other sites they are section when you can say what you're looking for and sellers contact them.

So buy from a car boot sale NOT an on-line auction site.

That involves rather more work

that's the crux of teh problem the4 lazy

Nothing to do with lazy, just involves less effort.

Same differnce, someone else has to do the work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

What I truly am amazed at here was so many not knowing what DLP and rear
projection mean.

That's because you are detached from reality. How many low paid, downtrodden
people could have afforded to buy new what you were selling on ebay?

Your middle name doesn't begin with "L" does it, as rear projection when
applied to you is the bit sticking out your arse when your head's up it.