Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Some people.

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
News wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

And large screen rear projection sets
were common enough at one time.

But plenty never were aware of those.

OK, I'll confess. When Dave first posted,
I had no idea what a rear projection TV was.

I did, but am aware that few who buy TVs know that they even exist.

How do you know that ?

How did I know what,

That those currently using ebay to buy a TV don;t
know about back projection TVs or the differnce
between CRT, plasma, LCD, TFT, and anything else.

Because a number of them have asked me
to get them one at a garage or yard sale.

So not ebay users then that are used ti the internet.

Those have done that too, and they have asked me
to do that too, because they aren't use to the internet.

And some of them are kids who don't have any way
to pay for stuff bought on ebay, so they pay me the
cash and I buy what they want on ebay for them.

It seems those that ask you havent the ability or skills
needed to work out what they want so they ask you.

That isn't correct with the garage/yard sales. They aren't
prepared to get up 5am and spend an hour or two doing
the garage/yard sale run when they know that I do that
every week and am happy to ring them and check if they
want what I have in front of me when I do that for them.

One of them is normally out doing casual labor
like picking or pruning or harvesting at that time
so its handy for him to get me to do it for him.

So they aren't ebay or internet users as I suspect.

You are just plain wrong on that. One of the kids
who can't buy stuff himself just sends me the link
to the ebay item he wants and I buy it and have
it delivered to his address instead of mine.

or have asked me to retune their TV when the local
channels have changed as we moved from analog
to digital TV etc and have asked me about what to
get when their older CRT TV needs a set top box etc.

So they aren't tech savvy.

Just like the one who bought that TV from lefty**** Dave.

Almost none of them are even aware of
the difference between LCD and plasma
TVs, let alone rear projection TVs.

Would yuo suggest they trust the sellers discription then.

They have no choice on that when they don't have someone
like me they can ask about an ebay item that they have found
before they actually buy it. Some of them do that routinely.

So if they saw a 420" TV for sale they'd buy it.

Unlikely given how hard it would be to get
anyone to deliver it or even move it themselves.

not know about TVs they wouldn;t stop and think hold on
maybe it's a typo in teh ad and it';s not really a 420 inch but
a 42 inch maybe we should check, no they ask you fair enough.
Inteligent people would ask someone that knew more.

Not all of them have someone they can do that with.

I've even had one of the kids who was working in one
of our major retail chains ask me to answer a question
one of the customers in the store had asked him that
he couldn't answer.

And **** all rear projection TVs have ever show up on
the local facebook buy sell swap groups that have largely
replaced operations like Craig's List and Freecycle etc now.

so seeing such a thing doesn;t make
then think, (that is using their brains).

Most of them know so little about technology
that they just have to wing it and hope for the
best if they don't have someone like me to ask.

If they heard of a rembrandt on a facebook
swap site asking to swap it for a TV......

Most of them wouldn't even know what a rembrandt was.

They do know what a TV is.

what they are or how many of those
who buy TVs know that they exist ?

Most don't even realise the difference between LCD and plasma.

Maybe they don;lt care

Corse they don't.

So the difernce doesn't matter then does it.

It clearly did for the kid of the woman who bought
the rear projection TV off lefty**** Dave.

then maybe she shouldn;t have brought a rear projection TV.

She obviously shouldn't, but it clearly wasn't at all
obvious to her what she was buying until she showed
up at Dave's place and realised it wasn't what she wanted
because he was too stupid to include a photo from the side.

or should have asked the sellar what TV it was.

That level of person can't do that with every
technical term that they don't understand.

I bet she doesn't know what SCART is either.

Having said that, if I saw something like
that on Freecycle, I would Google first.

Me too, but the average ebay buyer of TVs doesn't.

Well I think they shouldn't be bidding if
they don't know what they are bidding on.

More fool you.

the fool wouold only bid on something
they have little or no understanding of.

They don't realise that they have little or no
understanding of the different TVs available.

Then don;t bid on TVs if yuo don;t
know anything about them.

She did know that she didn't want
that one when she saw it in the flesh.

That's the thing about bidding isn;t it.

Not for those who know very little about
the technology but do need to get a TV.