Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Some people.

Would seem it's not just fit for the tip, given the number of emails I've
had after putting it on FreeCycle.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But given a second buyer didn't even look at
all the pics, I'd guess I could have had pics of a
CRT set and they'd still have expected an LCD.

That's certainly possible. But if you had said
that it was a very obsolete older TV, nothing
like a modern flat screen TV, many more would
have realised that wasn't what they wanted.

Most would then assume it was a very large and heavy CRT set.

Doesn't matter if they want a modern LCD or plasma
TV without knowing those technical terms.

If they don't do those technical terms then
they shouldn't be bidding on technical things.

And in the real world where most do want to have
a TV or a few TVs, they don't have any choice on
that if they don't want to buy one new. They have
to wing it and do the best they can, just like she did.

and buy the wrong thing brillant.

Hardly ever happens that they end up with a CRT TV that way.

Hopefully she's learnt something.

Yes, but she is one out of millions.

Maybe 2 things.
what a DLP TV is

I doubt she knows that even now and
is even less likely to remember that.

and if yuo don;t want to buy a DLP TV best not to bid on one.

She already knew that. Just didn't know what
DLP means and that it wasn't what she wanted.

Clearly virtually no one wants a DLP rear projection TV either.

Then why did she bid on it and travel to collect it. ?

Because she didn't realise what it was.

3rd thing learnt if you don't know something find out.

Easier said than done with those for whom even
reading the wikipedia article still wouldn't help.

That sort of person doesn't even know
what rear projection means with a TV.

This DLP set is no heavier than an LCD

Its got nothing to do with the weight.

How do you know this ?

That wasn't the reason she decided she didn't want it.

Since it is no heavier than an LCD, that can't have
been the reason she decided that she didn't want it.

you dont' know that.

Yes we do.

She wanted rear projectiojn

Like hell she did.

otherwiose she wouldn't have bit on it,

She looked at the picture, decided it was what she wanted.

Its far from clear if she even read the description at all,
let alone understood what what a rear projection TV is.

and if she didn;t know what rear projection
was then she could have been in trouble.

If she even read the description at all, she likely
just ignored the rear projection bit like I bet she
does even now with the terms LCD and plasma
etc even tho they are what she wants.

Must explain why now two buyers have decided
they don't want it when they realise what it is.

thick buyers, or should I say those
that doesn;t understand the tech,

Which most buyers don't with TVs.

That's your claim.

That's a fact.

If they don't understand such things
how do they know what to buy

They don't.

or do they just go on price. I want a 20 quid TV.

Yep, bet she just saw the picture, decided it was
what she wanted, decided it was a very acceptable
price for one with a screen that big, and thought
she had found a bargain given what price other
TVs of that size were going for and bought it.

When she showed up in person realised it wasn't what
she wanted because it was much deeper than she expect
and asked Dave if she could welsh on the deal.

I have asked those selling large widescreen
TVs at garage sales if its LCD or plasma and
NOT ONE has ever been able to tell me.

So, doesn't mean you have to buy from people
that don't know what they are selling.

If I didn't I wouldn't have bought a TV.

Makes a lot more sense to work out for yourself
whether its LCD or plasma if you care.

That's what most of the other garage salers
do, ask me about anything electronic or
mechanical and as Glenn if its fishing gear
or mechanical stuff and ask Betty if its plants
and the seller doesn't know.

That's how these things work,

Nope.

you might buy a painting that is an old master worth
a fortune from someone that doesn;t understand art.

No big deal in my case, I can use the model
number to get the specs on my smartphone
but buyers like these two likely wouldn't even
understand the specs if they were printed on
a sheet of paper and were sitting on the TV.

So who's problem is it then.

Those who don't know how to
do that if they care about that.

Should it be the buyers job to give the purchaser
a rundown on the differnt types of TV .

Bit pointless giving yourself a rundown.

Same with other stuff like welders. Its obvious
to me what is a stick welder, an inverter, a MIG
etc, but it isn't obvious to plenty of others.

Maybe those others shouldn't bid
on items they don't understand.

Most of them don't even know that they don't understand.

Plenty of them ask me after they can't work out
why they can't get it to do what they want to do.

Which is why the dehydrated water is no loonger sold I guess.

Guess again.

a bit like those you help out via ordering for them.

Telling them whether its what they want or whether
there are other better things they should be buying
instead, yep.

Pity someone didnt; do that for her beofre she bid on teh TV.

She may not have anyone she can ask.

If one of the turkish kids you order for asked you to
order thos TV would you have ordered if for them ?

Only a subset of the kids are turks. The others are the
kids of the kids who used to hang around when I was
building the house more than 40 years ago now.

I did in fact have the second youngest turk who has now
left school ask me to get him a TV at the garage sales
and I did point out that a CRT TV would be virtually
free if not actually free, but he wasn't interested at all.

Maybe he actually knows what a CRT is then,

No he doesn't even tho they had one.
He just knew he didn't want one of those.

education is wonderful when it works.

Nothing to do with education and that didn't work for him.

They live in our equivalent of your council houses. Separate
stand alone houses, not semis like you lot mostly have.

We have a new method of house such people we ship them
in without anywhere perminant to live and put them up in
hotels until they can find somewhere for tehm, to lieve

Nothing new about that, happened before the war too.

no one';s asking why were puttingn them up in hotels

Plenty are.

or why we have so many of these smallish hotels popping up,

Plenty are.

this si the new council housing where certain individualls
are making quite a profit out of this 'crisis'

Same thing happened before the war when the jews showed up.

And now we are to believe that using a stretch limo for transportation
doesn't cost the tax payer any more.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/611...ed-Home-Office

Your problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You'll all be delighted to know it was collected this morning by a couple
of charming young ladies - via FreeCycle - who knew exactly what a back
projection TV was.

--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You'll all be delighted to know it was collected this morning by a couple
of charming young ladies - via FreeCycle - who knew exactly what a back
projection TV was.

Good. Presumably you still had to pay Ebay for not selling it?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
You'll all be delighted to know it was collected this morning by a couple
of charming young ladies - via FreeCycle - who knew exactly what a back
projection TV was.

Good. Presumably you still had to pay Ebay for not selling it?

Nope
http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr?que...ierarchy=2a3a1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

You'll all be delighted to know it was collected this morning by a couple
of charming young ladies - via FreeCycle - who knew exactly what a back
projection TV was.

Well I'm glad it went to a good home.

You dont know that it did, they might be lesbians for all you know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
You'll all be delighted to know it was collected this morning by a
couple of charming young ladies - via FreeCycle - who knew exactly
what a back projection TV was.

Good. Presumably you still had to pay Ebay for not selling it?

Don't think so - it was free listing. But even if I do, it was hardly
their fault two idiots bid and won it.

--
*Don't squat with your spurs on *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You'll all be delighted to know it was collected this morning by a
couple of charming young ladies - via FreeCycle - who knew exactly
what a back projection TV was.

Well I'm glad it went to a good home.

You don‘t know that it did, they might be lesbians for all you know.

Only you would think lesbians couldn't have a good home.

Anyway, they can't have been lesbians. They didn't have a fight about who
was going to carry which end.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Streater wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

You'll all be delighted to know it was collected this morning
by a couple of charming young ladies - via FreeCycle - who
knew exactly what a back projection TV was.

Well I'm glad it went to a good home.

You don't know that it did, they might be lesbians for all you know.

Only you would think lesbians couldn't have a good home.

There you go, face down in the mud, as always. I don't
think that, and hordes are silly enough to think that too.

Anyway, they can't have been lesbians. They didn't
have a fight about who was going to carry which end.

Even sillier than you usually manage.