Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Some people.

In ,
Roger wrote:

So I'm not altogether surprised that some people didn't understand what
they were bidding for.

If you were interested in it and didn't understand what DLP rear
projection was, wouldn't you find out?

Yes, indeed I would. But we who frequent this NG are almost certainly
not typical of the population as a whole.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:
In message , Rod Speed
writes
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

And large screen rear projection sets were common enough at one time.

But plenty never were aware of those.

OK, I'll confess. When Dave first posted, I had no idea what a rear
projection TV was. Having said that, if I saw something like that on
Freecycle, I would Google first.

Well quite. Even more so if you're buying it. But obviously some didn't
even read the description and ponder. Especially since I mentioned it
doesn't have the modern HDMI and USB ports.

And also the price would give a clue to someone with half a brain cell it
wasn't a modern slim TV. Especially to those looking for such a thing on
Ebay. A working LCD or plasma of that size would go for many times the
price.

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:
Well I think they shouldn't be bidding if they don't know what they are
bidding on. But I guess that's a lot to expect.

A huge problem for eBay sellers. Buyers buy what they think they see,
not what they actually see, and then complain. Put details in the
description using text six inches high, and the average eBay buyer will
still not read it.

I've used Ebay quite a bit since it started. Mainly buying, but selling
too.

In general, most know exactly what they're buying.

I did look at rear projection TVs on Ebay before offering this one - and
there does seem to be a market for them. If not, I'd have freeCycled it.

The only thing I'd not buy or sell on Ebay is a car. That seems full of
villains on both sides.

--
*I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 10:34:57 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
News wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

And large screen rear projection sets were common enough at one time.

But plenty never were aware of those.

OK, I'll confess. When Dave first posted,
I had no idea what a rear projection TV was.

I did, but am aware that few who buy TVs know that they even exist.

How do you know that ?

How did I know what,

That those currently using ebay to buy a TV don;t know about back projection TVs or the differnce between CRT, plasma, LCD, TFT, and anything else.

what they are or how
many of those who buy TVs know that they exist ?

Most don't even realise the difference between LCD and plasma.

Maybe they don;lt care

Corse they don't.

So the difernce doesn't matter then does it.

Having said that, if I saw something like
that on Freecycle, I would Google first.

Me too, but the average ebay buyer of TVs doesn't.

Well I think they shouldn't be bidding if
they don't know what they are bidding on.

More fool you.

the fool wouold only bid on something they have little or no understanding of.
Which fool suggested I buy a stun gun for 30 quid to kill my cat when the PDSA will do it legally for free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 10:52:14 UTC+1, News wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 08:09:13 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
News wrote

I did, but am aware that few who buy TVs know that they even exist.

How do you know that ?

Were I to guess, I would side with Rod on this one.

When he said few I assume he meant few who buy TVs know what they are buying.
Rather than a few people know of back projection TVs, which I would expect.

Most don't even realise the difference between LCD and plasma.

Maybe they don;lt care or are waiting for you to describe the difernce
to them and how it matters to them.

And again. I don't know the difference, and have no particular interest
in finding out.

would you remain in that state of ignorance if you were planning on buying a TV.

Would you worry about the size or wieght, whether it had freeview, or FV HD.
4K or HD ready.

Me too, but the average ebay buyer of TVs doesn't.

Well I think they shouldn't be bidding if they don't know what they are
bidding on. But I guess that's a lot to expect.

A huge problem for eBay sellers. Buyers buy what they think they see,
not what they actually see, and then complain. Put details in the
description using text six inches high, and the average eBay buyer will
still not read it.

Not what I've found.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 11:53:22 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

The only thing I'd not buy or sell on Ebay is a car. That seems full of
villains on both sides.

well I've never owed a car but if I were buying one on ebay I'd make sure it had the number of wheels I was expecting, it'd need an engine too and variuous other bits I'd expect a car to have.

And I certainly wouldn't buy one full of villains I'd want it emptied first ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
How did I know what,

That those currently using ebay to buy a TV don;t know about back
projection TVs or the differnce between CRT, plasma, LCD, TFT, and
anything else.

Given the sellers always say what they are, I'd say you're wrong.

And it would be some idiot who bought a CRT set expecting an LCD.

And generally, people bright enough to use Ebay ain't idiots.

--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 10:52:14 UTC+1, News wrote:

And again. I don't know the difference, and have no particular interest
in finding out.

would you remain in that state of ignorance if you were planning on
buying a TV.

See my reply to Dave. No, I wouldn't. I fairly frequently see things
without knowing what they really are (on eBay), so just open a new tab,
and use Google until I do understand.

I still maintain, though, that many an eBay buyer will buy what he
thinks (or hopes) he sees rather than what is actually there.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 11:53:22 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

The only thing I'd not buy or sell on Ebay is a car. That seems full of
villains on both sides.

well I've never owed a car but if I were buying one on ebay I'd make
sure it had the number of wheels I was expecting, it'd need an engine
too and variuous other bits I'd expect a car to have.

I've heard of many many cases of cars simply not being described
accurately. Mainly older cars I'm interested in. Trouble is that pics
simply don't show the truth. So someone buys it on the basis of the
description being reasonably accurate and finds, when going to collect it,
that it's a load of lies. Which isn't good if you've travelled some way.

And then there are buyers who win an auction, then try to drop the price
on collection.

And I certainly wouldn't buy one full of villains I'd want it emptied
first ;-)

True.

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 12:21:59 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
How did I know what,

That those currently using ebay to buy a TV don;t know about back
projection TVs or the differnce between CRT, plasma, LCD, TFT, and
anything else.

Given the sellers always say what they are, I'd say you're wrong.

I would have thought that sellers would say what products they were selling.

And it would be some idiot who bought a CRT set expecting an LCD.

yep.

And generally, people bright enough to use Ebay ain't idiots.

Rod said he uses ebay, enough said

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 13:54:19 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 11:53:22 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

The only thing I'd not buy or sell on Ebay is a car. That seems full of
villains on both sides.

well I've never owed a car but if I were buying one on ebay I'd make
sure it had the number of wheels I was expecting, it'd need an engine
too and variuous other bits I'd expect a car to have.

I've heard of many many cases of cars simply not being described
accurately.

Well that goes for other items too.
A friend of mine used to buy from such sellers, he'd get say a graphics card that wasnt; well desdcribed he'd try it in his PC and Mac if it worked OK in the mac he put it up back on sale for 2-3 time what he bropught it for but would ad a detaile ddescription money back guarantee and help if thre;s a problem.

Mainly older cars I'm interested in. Trouble is that pics
simply don't show the truth.

You're saying teh camera lies :-0

So someone buys it on the basis of the
description being reasonably accurate and finds, when going to collect it,
that it's a load of lies. Which isn't good if you've travelled some way.

Why buy a car with a dodgey description or photo when you can buy a WV.

And then there are buyers who win an auction, then try to drop the price
on collection.

Well you deal with scum that's the way it goes, some do it to save money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

snip

And generally, people bright enough to use Ebay ain't idiots.

choke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 14:25:34 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

This one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181876897371

Yes.

TBH, I'm very unsurprised. You could have made it a LOT clearer in
the description and photos. Not everybody's familiar with "rear
projection" as a concept, and "DLP" is even more opaque.

Then it's easy enough to ask the buyer a question if it's not clear
to you what you're bidding on. Especially if you wanted an LCD or
plasma specifically.

I think you're missing my point... There's a big flat-looking TV, with
something that you don't really understand. It's a cheap big flat TV,
right?

With a very large base showing - unlike any LCD TV. And the same could
near enough apply to some widescreen CRT sets or indeed any TV which was
basically just a screen.

When you re-list it, take a side-on photo, and describe what it is - in
layman's language - and isn't.

Might take a side on pic, but love to know how you'd describe it. To
anyone with a grain of sense rear projector says exactly what it is.
Perhaps I should say it's a great ugly lump of a thing. Just what's
needed to get people interested. ;-)

Front and side photos, "NOT LCD/PLASMA" in large letters, "floor standing
in large cabinet" with dimensions in feet. You'll then sell it to someone
who actually wants a rear-projection TV.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 14:13:57 +0000, Scion wrote:

When you re-list it, take a side-on photo, and describe what it is -
in layman's language - and isn't.

Might take a side on pic, but love to know how you'd describe it. To
anyone with a grain of sense rear projector says exactly what it is.
Perhaps I should say it's a great ugly lump of a thing. Just what's
needed to get people interested. ;-)

Front and side photos, "NOT LCD/PLASMA" in large letters, "floor
standing in large cabinet" with dimensions in feet. You'll then sell it
to someone who actually wants a rear-projection TV.

Indeed.

"This is not a LCD or Plasma-style modern flat TV. It's old tech, circa
(age), with the picture projected from behind the screen. Back in the
day, this allowed a much bigger and better-quality picture than was
available using the then-current tube technology. etc etc"

Sell the sizzle, not the sausage! Explain to the punters WHY they want
this bloody great big ugly white elephant of a thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scion wrote:
Might take a side on pic, but love to know how you'd describe it. To
anyone with a grain of sense rear projector says exactly what it is.
Perhaps I should say it's a great ugly lump of a thing. Just what's
needed to get people interested. ;-)

Front and side photos, "NOT LCD/PLASMA" in large letters,

According to many here that won't mean a thing to the average used TV
buyer.

"floor standing
in large cabinet" with dimensions in feet.

But it's not floor standing. Which makes it rather different from many
rear projection sets. In terms of the front aspect, it's little different
to an LCD. And in practice will fit on the same sort of stand as an LCD.
The only real disadvantage is you can't hang it on a wall. It's nothing
like a big CRT set with a vast tube neck sticking out the back.

You'll then sell it to someone
who actually wants a rear-projection TV.

Far too limited a market. It will be fine for any who don't want to wall
mount it. And rather better for their health too - the most stupid place
to put a TV ever.

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scion wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

snip

And generally, people bright enough to use Ebay ain't idiots.

choke

OK. How many times have you bought or sold on Ebay? How many idiots have
you encountered while doing this?

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Scion wrote:

According to many here that won't mean a thing to the average used TV
buyer.

"floor standing
in large cabinet" with dimensions in feet.

But it's not floor standing. Which makes it rather different from many
rear projection sets. In terms of the front aspect, it's little different
to an LCD. And in practice will fit on the same sort of stand as an LCD.
The only real disadvantage is you can't hang it on a wall. It's nothing
like a big CRT set with a vast tube neck sticking out the back.

And the dimensions are?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
"This is not a LCD or Plasma-style modern flat TV. It's old tech, circa
(age), with the picture projected from behind the screen. Back in the
day, this allowed a much bigger and better-quality picture than was
available using the then-current tube technology. etc etc"

Bit you missed out is that it was also rather better than LCDs of that
age. Which is why i bought it.

Sell the sizzle, not the sausage! Explain to the punters WHY they want
this bloody great big ugly white elephant of a thing.

As I've said, it's not that vast. You're confusing it with tube rear
projection TVs. This is a DLP.

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Scion wrote:

According to many here that won't mean a thing to the average used TV
buyer.

"floor standing
in large cabinet" with dimensions in feet.

But it's not floor standing. Which makes it rather different from many
rear projection sets. In terms of the front aspect, it's little different
to an LCD. And in practice will fit on the same sort of stand as an LCD.
The only real disadvantage is you can't hang it on a wall. It's nothing
like a big CRT set with a vast tube neck sticking out the back.

And the dimensions are?

Very roughly 12" back to front. Other dimensions are pretty well that of
the screen.

To put things in perspective, the replacement LCD sits on the same stand
in exactly the same place.

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 16:49:05 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

"This is not a LCD or Plasma-style modern flat TV. It's old tech, circa
(age), with the picture projected from behind the screen. Back in the
day, this allowed a much bigger and better-quality picture than was
available using the then-current tube technology. etc etc"

Bit you missed out is that it was also rather better than LCDs of that
age. Which is why i bought it.

Sell the sizzle, not the sausage! Explain to the punters WHY they want
this bloody great big ugly white elephant of a thing.

As I've said, it's not that vast. You're confusing it with tube rear
projection TVs. This is a DLP.

Don't tell me... I don't want the ****ing thing. Tell the people who
MIGHT want it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only thing I'd not buy or sell on Ebay is a car. That seems full of
villains on both sides.

I bought my last one there sight unseen, and sold the one it was
replacing. Both transactions went fine.

However this was very much at the low end of the market - 550 quid for
the new one including 100 quids worth of tax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
As I've said, it's not that vast. You're confusing it with tube rear
projection TVs. This is a DLP.

Don't tell me... I don't want the ****ing thing. Tell the people who
MIGHT want it...

Just what I did in the original description. Do keep up.

--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 18:16:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

As I've said, it's not that vast. You're confusing it with tube rear
projection TVs. This is a DLP.

Don't tell me... I don't want the ****ing thing. Tell the people who
MIGHT want it...

Just what I did in the original description. Do keep up.

Umm, I did read the original description - and you really didn't. Which
is kinda why we're having this whole conversation...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 18:16:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

As I've said, it's not that vast. You're confusing it with tube rear
projection TVs. This is a DLP.

Don't tell me... I don't want the ****ing thing. Tell the people who
MIGHT want it...

Just what I did in the original description. Do keep up.

Umm, I did read the original description - and you really didn't. Which
is kinda why we're having this whole conversation...

Sorry? It said DLP rear projection. Exactly how the makers describe it.

--
*Vegetarians taste great*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 18:43:12 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

As I've said, it's not that vast. You're confusing it with tube
rear projection TVs. This is a DLP.

Don't tell me... I don't want the ****ing thing. Tell the people who
MIGHT want it...

Just what I did in the original description. Do keep up.

Umm, I did read the original description - and you really didn't. Which
is kinda why we're having this whole conversation...

Sorry? It said DLP rear projection. Exactly how the makers describe it.

sigh

I meant SELL THEM THE ****ING BENEFITS OF IT! Tell them WHY they want it.
Don't just give them an acronym that nobody understands, and hope they
do. I've never heard of DLP, for a start. Joe Average looking for a cheap
second-hand telly certainly won't have.

You really aren't a born salesman, are you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/15 18:05, Clive George wrote:

The only thing I'd not buy or sell on Ebay is a car. That seems full of
villains on both sides.

I bought my last one there sight unseen, and sold the one it was
replacing. Both transactions went fine.

sold my defender on there years ago, got 11,000 for it

Dealer offered me 6500...

However this was very much at the low end of the market - 550 quid for
the new one including 100 quids worth of tax.

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
News wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

And large screen rear projection sets were common enough at one
time.

But plenty never were aware of those.

OK, I'll confess. When Dave first posted,
I had no idea what a rear projection TV was.

I did, but am aware that few who buy TVs know that they even exist.

How do you know that ?

How did I know what,

That those currently using ebay to buy a TV don;t
know about back projection TVs or the differnce
between CRT, plasma, LCD, TFT, and anything else.

Because a number of them have asked me to get
them one at a garage or yard sale or have asked
me to retune their TV when the local channels
have changed as we moved from analog to digital
TV etc and have asked me about what to get when
their older CRT TV needs a set top box etc.

Almost none of them are even aware of the difference
between LCD and plasma TVs, let alone rear projection
TVs. And **** all rear projection TVs have ever show up
on the local facebook buy sell swap groups that have
largely replaced operations like Craig's List and Freecycle
etc now.

what they are or how many of those
who buy TVs know that they exist ?

Most don't even realise the difference between LCD and plasma.

Maybe they don;lt care

Corse they don't.

So the difernce doesn't matter then does it.

It clearly did for the kid of the woman who bought
the rear projection TV off lefty**** Dave.

Having said that, if I saw something like
that on Freecycle, I would Google first.

Me too, but the average ebay buyer of TVs doesn't.

Well I think they shouldn't be bidding if
they don't know what they are bidding on.

More fool you.

the fool wouold only bid on something
they have little or no understanding of.

They don't realise that they have little or no
understanding of the different TVs available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
News wrote

Well I think they shouldn't be bidding if they don't know
what they are bidding on. But I guess that's a lot to expect.

A huge problem for eBay sellers. Buyers buy what they think
they see, not what they actually see, and then complain. Put
details in the description using text six inches high, and the
average eBay buyer will still not read it.

I've used Ebay quite a bit since it started.
Mainly buying, but selling too.

But have know real knowledge about what the
buyers of stuff like TVs know about TV technology.

In general, most know exactly what they're buying.

Not with something like TVs, **** all do. The most
they might manage is whether it needs an external
set top box or not and whether its an older CRT TV
and that last is really just based on how thick it is.

I did look at rear projection TVs on Ebay before
offering this one - and there does seem to be a
market for them. If not, I'd have freeCycled it.

Irrelevant to whether just stating it’s a rear projection
TV is enough to avoid people like the one that did
agree to buy it thinking it was what they wanted to buy.

The only thing I'd not buy or sell on Ebay is a car.

More fool you. Mate of mine has just got
one hell of a bargain with a very high end
Hyundai which wouldn’t even start due to
a trivially easy to replace sensor failure.

That seems full of villains on both sides.

Easy enough to ensure that you aren't dealing with one of those.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
News wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

And large screen rear projection sets were common enough at one time.

But plenty never were aware of those.

OK, I'll confess. When Dave first posted, I had no idea
what a rear projection TV was. Having said that, if I saw
something like that on Freecycle, I would Google first.

Well quite. Even more so if you're buying it. But obviously
some didn't even read the description and ponder.

Hardly surprising with that level of buyer who
doesn’t understand most of the technical terms
used and just have to carry on regardless anyway.

Especially since I mentioned it doesn't
have the modern HDMI and USB ports.

She may not even understand what they are either.

And also the price would give a clue to someone
with half a brain cell it wasn't a modern slim TV.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Corse someone with even half a clue would
have included a photo from the side so it
was obvious it wasn’t a modern slim TV.

Especially to those looking for such a thing
on Ebay. A working LCD or plasma of that
size would go for many times the price.

Plenty don’t even bother to have a proper
look at what prices the sort of thing that they
are considering buying do normally go for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
News wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
News wrote

I did, but am aware that few who buy TVs know that they even exist.

How do you know that ?

Were I to guess, I would side with Rod on this one.

When he said few I assume he meant few
who buy TVs know what they are buying.

Know about what different TV technologys are available.

The most most can manage is whether its an older
rather deep TV or a modern much thinner one.

Rather than a few people know of back
projection TVs, which I would expect.

Most don't even realise the difference between LCD and plasma.

Maybe they don;lt care or are waiting for you to describe
the difernce to them and how it matters to them.

And again. I don't know the difference,
and have no particular interest in finding out.

would you remain in that state of ignorance
if you were planning on buying a TV.

Plenty do.

Would you worry about the size or wieght,

Hardly anyone does until its time to put it on the wall etc.

I didn't either with the last of the ****ing great wide
screen CRT TVs. When it got delivered, it was obvious
that it was too heavy for me to put on the quite low
thing I stood it on and had to get one of my
neighbour mates to give me a hand to lift it onto that.

whether it had freeview, or FV HD. 4K or HD ready.

**** all of that level of buyer understand anything
like that and I know that because a couple of them
have asked me to get one at a garage/yard sale and
I even had to ask them whether they wanted a modern
flat screen TV or whether an older CRT TV would do.

Me too, but the average ebay buyer of TVs doesn't.

Well I think they shouldn't be bidding if they don't know
what they are bidding on. But I guess that's a lot to expect.

A huge problem for eBay sellers. Buyers buy what they
think they see, not what they actually see, and then complain.
Put details in the description using text six inches high, and
the average eBay buyer will still not read it.

Not what I've found.

You only have to read the feedback to see its one hell of a problem.

The average ebay buyer is overstating it, but its surprisingly common.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

How did I know what,

That those currently using ebay to buy a TV don't
know about back projection TVs or the differnce
between CRT, plasma, LCD, TFT, and anything else.

Given the sellers always say what they are,

They don’t always.

I'd say you're wrong.

More fool you. Even if what you said is true, and it
isn't, that says nothing about how many of the BUYERS
understand what the less common technologys are
about or even know how to use wikipedia to find out.

And it would be some idiot who
bought a CRT set expecting an LCD.

That happens too, particularly when the fool of a seller
was too stupid to include a photo from the side.

And generally, people bright enough to use Ebay ain't idiots.

Generally is completely irrelevant, what matters is whether
there are some who don’t know what a rear projection TV
is, and who know so little about technology that they don’t
even realise that need to check what the terms that they
haven't come across before mean because they realise that
even reading the wikipedia article doesn’t help them at all
let alone even know that that is a good place to look.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

How did I know what,

That those currently using ebay to buy a TV don't
know about back projection TVs or the differnce
between CRT, plasma, LCD, TFT, and anything else.

Given the sellers always say what they are, I'd say you're wrong.

I would have thought that sellers would say what products they were
selling.

They don't necessarily know what sort of TV they are selling, particularly
with the difference between plasma and LCD, let alone TFT.

And it would be some idiot who bought a CRT set expecting an LCD.

yep.

With the physical TV, sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 18:43:12 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

As I've said, it's not that vast. You're confusing it with tube
rear projection TVs. This is a DLP.

Don't tell me... I don't want the ****ing thing. Tell the people who
MIGHT want it...

Just what I did in the original description. Do keep up.

Umm, I did read the original description - and you really didn't. Which
is kinda why we're having this whole conversation...

Sorry? It said DLP rear projection. Exactly how the makers describe it.

sigh

I meant SELL THEM THE ****ING BENEFITS OF IT! Tell them WHY they want it.
Don't just give them an acronym that nobody understands, and hope they
do. I've never heard of DLP, for a start. Joe Average looking for a cheap
second-hand telly certainly won't have.

You really aren't a born salesman, are you?

Ignorance of the technique is not an excuse, try Google.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Scion wrote

Might take a side on pic, but love to know how you'd describe it.
To anyone with a grain of sense rear projector says exactly what
it is. Perhaps I should say it's a great ugly lump of a thing. Just
what's needed to get people interested. ;-)

Front and side photos, "NOT LCD/PLASMA" in large letters,

According to many here that won't mean
a thing to the average used TV buyer.

But the photos do for all but the most stupid.

"floor standing in large cabinet" with dimensions in feet.

But it's not floor standing. Which makes it
rather different from many rear projection sets.

Then say that explicitly.

In terms of the front aspect, it's little different to an LCD.
And in practice will fit on the same sort of stand as an LCD.
The only real disadvantage is you can't hang it on a wall.
It's nothing like a big CRT set with a vast tube neck
sticking out the back.

You'll then sell it to someone who actually wants a rear-projection TV.

Far too limited a market.

Your problem. Makes no sense to try to flog it to
those who want a decent modern LCD or plasma
who don’t know what those terms mean.

It will be fine for any who don't want to wall mount it.

Then you should have said that.

And rather better for their health too -
the most stupid place to put a TV ever.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Scion wrote
Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

snip

And generally, people bright enough to use Ebay ain't idiots.

choke

OK. How many times have you bought or sold on Ebay?

More than you, thanks.

How many idiots have you encountered while doing this?

Quite a few, and it depends on what you are buying and selling too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scion wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

snip

And generally, people bright enough to use Ebay ain't idiots.

choke

OK. How many times have you bought or sold on Ebay? How many idiots have
you encountered while doing this?

A couple of hundred times. Probably 50 sales, 150 purchases and idiots in
both camps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Scion wrote:

According to many here that won't mean a thing to the average used TV
buyer.

"floor standing in large cabinet" with dimensions in feet.

But it's not floor standing. Which makes it rather different from many
rear projection sets. In terms of the front aspect, it's little
different to an LCD. And in practice will fit on the same sort of
stand as an LCD. The only real disadvantage is you can't hang it on a
wall. It's nothing like a big CRT set with a vast tube neck sticking
out the back.

And the dimensions are?

Very roughly 12" back to front. Other dimensions are pretty well that of
the screen.

To put things in perspective, the replacement LCD sits on the same stand
in exactly the same place.

Right. When you re-list, put all that in the description, plus what Adrian
suggested. It's not like you're trying to sell it on Twitter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

**** 'em if they don't know why they want it then why are they bidding.

Don't just give them an acronym that nobody understands, and hope they
do. I've never heard of DLP, for a start. Joe Average looking for a cheap
second-hand telly certainly won't have.

That's their problem.

You really aren't a born salesman, are you?

I wouldn't spens much time on an ad likje that unless I was making serious money.
That's why lidle and aldi stick up a few sings on a website and Apple have whole campaignes, fancy hight end events, and fancy boxes.

If I'm making a serious profit on an item I'd spend time on presenting it in the best light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
[...]

No real time is required to include a photo of the side of the TV
and to describe it properly and point out that it is unlikely to be
of any interest to those who want a modern LCD or plasma TV
and in fact you will save time not having the buyer decide that
it isn't what they want and try to back out of the purchase when
they show up and find its not what they want when they see it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 19:43:10 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
News wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

And large screen rear projection sets were common enough at one
time.

But plenty never were aware of those.

OK, I'll confess. When Dave first posted,
I had no idea what a rear projection TV was.

I did, but am aware that few who buy TVs know that they even exist.

How do you know that ?

How did I know what,

That those currently using ebay to buy a TV don;t
know about back projection TVs or the differnce
between CRT, plasma, LCD, TFT, and anything else.

Because a number of them have asked me to get
them one at a garage or yard sale.

So not ebay users then that are used ti the internet.
It seems those that ask you havent the ability or skills needed
to work out what they want so they ask you.
So they aren't ebay or internet users as I suspect.

These are humasn aren;t they, you aren't buying TVs for sheep
just checking.

or have asked
me to retune their TV when the local channels
have changed as we moved from analog to digital
TV etc and have asked me about what to get when
their older CRT TV needs a set top box etc.

So they aren't tech savvy.

Almost none of them are even aware of the difference
between LCD and plasma TVs, let alone rear projection
TVs.

Would yuo suggest they trust the sellers discription then.
So if they saw a 420" TV for sale they'd buy it.
not know about TVs they wouldn;t stop and think hold on maybe
it's a typo in teh ad and it';s not really a 420 inch but a 42 inch
maybe we should check, no they ask you fair enough.
Inteligent people would ask someone that knew more.

And **** all rear projection TVs have ever show up
on the local facebook buy sell swap groups that have
largely replaced operations like Craig's List and Freecycle
etc now.

so seeing such a thing doesn;t make then think, (that is using their brains).
If they heard of a rembrandt on a facebook swap site asking to swap it for a TV......

what they are or how many of those
who buy TVs know that they exist ?

Most don't even realise the difference between LCD and plasma.

Maybe they don;lt care

Corse they don't.

So the difernce doesn't matter then does it.

It clearly did for the kid of the woman who bought
the rear projection TV off lefty**** Dave.

then maybe she shouldn;t have brought a rear projection TV.
or should have asked the sellar what TV it was.

Having said that, if I saw something like
that on Freecycle, I would Google first.

Me too, but the average ebay buyer of TVs doesn't.

Well I think they shouldn't be bidding if
they don't know what they are bidding on.

More fool you.

the fool wouold only bid on something
they have little or no understanding of.

They don't realise that they have little or no
understanding of the different TVs available.

Then don;t bid on TVs if yuo don;t know anything about them.
That's the thing about bidding isn;t it.