Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A rather disturbing website...

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

I did look up one 3 year old dynamically allocated IP address in an
email from someone local, and it reckoned they were in Dorset, which is
a long way away, but the mail was several years old.

So I'd like to know if it 'knows' where you are right now.

The implications are not pleasant. Especially in the context where I
discovered it being used. In essence any website that wants to know
where the person that said XYZ on their blog is located, to possibly
withina few miles, can do so.

And the site I chanced upon is one where the sort of people who run it,
would be quite capable of slinging a brick through your windows slashing
your tyres or worse.

Needless to say I got out very fast indeed.

Looks like a proxy server in a datacenter is the only way to go if you
want anonymity these days...

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

Surely this information has been available for years? I get students to
find out this stuff routinely, just to see if they can.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote:

So I'd like to know if it 'knows' where you are right now.

I didn't get a pinpointed location: the map displayed a circle some thirty
miles in diameter. Even taking the nearest point on the rim of the circle
to me, the site was over sixty miles out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jb Jb is offline

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

Surely this information has been available for years? I get students to
find out this stuff routinely, just to see if they can.

Puts me 120 miles away...

Jb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

Nowhere near with my ISPs... big circle round london but the edge still
well away.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/26/2013 01:01 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

I suspect it might be a coincidence. I'm on a fixed IP address and it's
a tad under 100 miles out.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I have a /29 subnet at home, the checker thinks I'm in Kettering which
it thinks is in Nottinghamshire, map shows Corby. In reality I'm a few
miles south of Leicester.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 01:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

More paranoia from NP! I am in Somerset and it shows me as being in
Central London. Completely useless as a means of locating me.

--
Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/13 07:42, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 26/08/2013 01:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still
like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

More paranoia from NP! I am in Somerset and it shows me as being in
Central London. Completely useless as a means of locating me.

well the paranoia is justified as it got to within 2 miles of me.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm on a fixed IP, and the website gives an almost central London location,
whereas I'm actually in SW Surrey some 40 miles away. It did get my ISP
(Zen) right. Looks as though it can give you the country OK, but not much
more.

Charles F

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I have a /29 subnet at home, the checker thinks I'm in Kettering which it
thinks is in Nottinghamshire, map shows Corby. In reality I'm a few miles
south of Leicester.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I
have to deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too
exactly (it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and
I'd still like to know how) where you are located.

Probably not the right Newsgroup in which to ask the "how" question.
You may be better off in something like uk.telecom.broadband.

However it'll at least be looking up records in the databases
maintained by several Network Information Centres (NICs). This
information is publically available.

For example, see the description of the Unix "whois" command:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...86&format=html

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the
same - that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at
least is known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a
dynamically allocated IP address how accurate it is.

So I'd like to know if it 'knows' where you are right now.

Dynamic IP address here. With a provider that's based in Sheffield.
Tells me I'm in the London area. Which is about 100 miles away.
And I'm also nowhere near Sheffield.

The implications are not pleasant. Especially in the context where
I discovered it being used. In essence any website that wants to
know where the person that said XYZ on their blog is located, to
possibly withina few miles, can do so.

And the site I chanced upon is one where the sort of people who run
it, would be quite capable of slinging a brick through your windows
slashing your tyres or worse.

Needless to say I got out very fast indeed.

Looks like a proxy server in a datacenter is the only way to go if
you want anonymity these days...

Alternatively you could use the Tor network:

http://www.torproject.org/

I believe I could set up the packet filter on my Unix boxes to use
this for *everything* if I so choosed. Haven't tried this.

But see:

http://www.xroxy.com/proxylist.php

for a list of open proxies.
--
Dennis Davis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

-
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

More paranoia from NP! I am in Somerset and it shows me as being in
Central London. Completely useless as a means of locating me.

well the paranoia is justified as it got to within 2 miles of me.

Plugging an IP address into http://www.ripe.net will often get it close.
I suspect that's what it is using.

Amusingly, one of these sites gets it quite wrong. I'm in East Kent, but
it gives me as in Arnold, Notts. I think they'e parsing the wrong field
in the RIPE data - that's part of my ISP's name...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It places the centre of the 20 mile radius that it thinks I'm in about 4
miles from my actual location. It might get a bit closer in London, but
only because tha area covered by each block in the IP range for a
particular ISP is smaller due to the greater population density.

If I log on via 3G, it thnks I'm in the docklands, which are about 200
miles away.

A fixed IP address may well have the street address associated with it,
depending on how particular the ISP is about registering such things.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 07:24:31 on Mon, 26
Aug 2013, Bob Eager remarked:
Plugging an IP address into http://www.ripe.net will often get it close.
I suspect that's what it is using.

Seems unlikely in my case, because that would put me in Slough (not
Salisbury). Let alone where I really am!

Amusingly, one of these sites gets it quite wrong. I'm in East Kent,
but it gives me as in Arnold, Notts. I think they're parsing the wrong
field in the RIPE data - that's part of my ISP's name...!

That particular ISP has some 'interesting' entries in the RIPE Database.
Several of the entries have a "missing" or "unspecified" address, so I
think we can understand why they have latched onto a town appearing in
the person-name field instead.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It shows I'm in Rugby, about 250 miles out.

--
Terry Fields

Posted to uk.d-i-y

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

Around 20 or so miles out.

And exactly the same location that other services (such as Google's)
assume for me.

Being on an arm of Virgin's cable, they all seem to base location on the
start point of this area.

Our ip is dynamic but it very, very rarely changes (don't actually
bother checking but it certainly has remained the same for several years).

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

About 1/2 mile out.

--
Cheers, Rob

€œPessimism of the spirit; optimism of the will€ Antonio Gramsci

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't see anything there I've not found via other look up systems. T the
coding seems to have a list of which IPs on a given machine go to which
general areas of the area in which it is situated which one would expect
surely, as this is hardly secret.

Kingston upon Thames is as accurate as they can get here, due I'd imagine to
the dynamic IP.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 01:01:29 on Mon, 26 Aug
2013, The Natural Philosopher remarked:
http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known.

I'm on static IP (which is one stage less variable than 'fixed' IP). And
it claims I'm in Salisbury; a town 200 miles away that I have no known
connection with.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

I've used the same fixed IP for a decade or two but it thinks I'm in
the middle of London :-).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:47:45 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 07:24:31 on Mon, 26
Aug 2013, Bob Eager remarked:
Plugging an IP address into http://www.ripe.net will often get it close.
I suspect that's what it is using.

Seems unlikely in my case, because that would put me in Slough (not
Salisbury). Let alone where I really am!

Amusingly, one of these sites gets it quite wrong. I'm in East Kent,
but it gives me as in Arnold, Notts. I think they're parsing the wrong
field in the RIPE data - that's part of my ISP's name...!

That particular ISP has some 'interesting' entries in the RIPE Database.
Several of the entries have a "missing" or "unspecified" address, so I
think we can understand why they have latched onto a town appearing in
the person-name field instead.

But strangely, my details are complete...! Unless their engine has
decided to use that field all the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 07:42, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 26/08/2013 01:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

More paranoia from NP! I am in Somerset and it shows me as being in
Central London. Completely useless as a means of locating me.

I'm in Yorkshire, and it shows me as being in the correct town.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jb" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

Surely this information has been available for years? I get students to
find out this stuff routinely, just to see if they can.

Puts me 120 miles away...

Jb

and me about 15 miles away ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 26, 2013 10:08:35 AM UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
"Jb" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to

deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly

(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like

to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -

that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

Surely this information has been available for years? I get students to

find out this stuff routinely, just to see if they can.

Puts me 120 miles away...

Jb

and me about 15 miles away ...

Arfa

and me 103 miles away, so I guess coincidence in many cases of purported accuracy

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

Fixed IP here, and it's 150 miles out, suggesting Nottingham.
Usually, sites guess I'm in Bracknell (where my ISP is),
but the suggestion from this site has no relationship with
with anything I can think of.

Ah, worked it out - it thinks I'm in Arnold (near Nottingham),
which it's presumably got confused with Andrews & Arnold, my
ISP.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

It gets my city right, but it bizarrely thinks it's in Staffordshire
(several counties away).

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 02:02:33 +0100
"Bert Coules" wrote:

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote:

So I'd like to know if it 'knows' where you are right now.

I didn't get a pinpointed location: the map displayed a circle some
thirty miles in diameter. Even taking the nearest point on the rim
of the circle to me, the site was over sixty miles out.

It tells me that I am somewhere in the middle of London, whereas I'm
actually between Bury St. Edmunds and Norwich. Oops.
I like this note:
"IP Language:
English, Irish, Ulster Scots, Scottish Gaelic , Scots, Welsh, Cornish"

Yeah, we use the last six of those a lot.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

I use a fixed IP but this web site doesn't seem to get beyond the
identity and location of my ISP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

it showed a circle around london. slough is the nearest it got to me and that is still approx 15
miles out.

i have been to web pages that are far more accurate, some get it down to maidenhead which is 7 miles
away.

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

Paranoid?

It was within 30 miles of me so I changed my IP address to one about 40
miles away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:37:43 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least
is known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

Fixed IP here, and it's 150 miles out, suggesting Nottingham. Usually,
sites guess I'm in Bracknell (where my ISP is),
but the suggestion from this site has no relationship with with anything
I can think of.

Ah, worked it out - it thinks I'm in Arnold (near Nottingham),
which it's presumably got confused with Andrews & Arnold, my ISP.

Yes, I mentioned that either here or in the other group where TNP Posted
this.

I think it's a bit disturbing that our TNP didn't know about this
information availability years ago...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 26, 2013 1:01:29 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It thinks I'm in State: Edinburgh, City Of. So that's about 40 miles away.

This does explain why I got Edinburgh dating adverts on one website though.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 11:30, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:

does demon no
longer have a new server?

back in the day, they had the best news server in the country.

But only when it wasn't broken.

I was with Demon in the early 90s and stayed with them for around 10
years (originally this was dial-up on a 28K modem at National rate phone
charges). My recollection of their news service was that it was very
unreliable. Demon were probably the first NOT to realise that attempting
to support binary newsgroups and customers downloading from them 24/7
was like throwing money into a hole in the ground.

I've had a few providers since and all have been better than the service
I was getting from Demon. I've mainly changed because of value for money
(not cheapest price) especially when the ISP started concentrating on
commercial customers rather than home usage. In one case I changed from
f2s because they were taken over by one of the big players (talk talk I
think) and introduced throttling on text only Usenet by blocking port
numbers for 6 to 10 hours a day and then lying about any limiting measures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 11:41, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

He is well known for his misleading posts.

--
Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan" wrote in message
came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

I use a fixed IP but this web site doesn't seem to get beyond the identity
and location of my ISP.

Well, it was spot on with me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
happy zombie jebus on the cross writes:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:37:43 +0000 (UTC), (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

Fixed IP here, and it's 150 miles out, suggesting Nottingham.
Usually, sites guess I'm in Bracknell (where my ISP is),
but the suggestion from this site has no relationship with
with anything I can think of.

Ah, worked it out - it thinks I'm in Arnold (near Nottingham),
which it's presumably got confused with Andrews & Arnold, my
ISP.

a silly question, your email is for demon and you are not using thier news server. does demon no
longer have a new server? back in the day, they had the best news server in the country.

I still use demon as a mailbox, but not for anything else.
I keep meaning to move that, but never get around to it.

In the early days, usenet news was Demon's biggest service,
and a significant attraction for new customers.

They outgrew INN or Cnews or whatever it was they used, and
they set their developers on creating a scalable news server,
and they managed to produce a high performance news server
for vast numbers of readers. However, the ISP business became
too cut-throat to keep a development dept, and they had to
lose that. They then tried to find a company which would
maintain their news server and live service (I worked for one
of the companies they approached and we looked at it, but we
didn't take it on). Usenet was also dropping in significance,
and I expect they eventually found that the cost of maintenance
and running the live service wasn't worth it, and they
probably no longer needed a highly scalable server. So I
believe they now subcontract the whole service out to
Highwinds(?) who run a large OEMed service for multiple ISPs.
It may have changed several times since the subsequent Thus,
C&W, and Vodafone buyouts.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It's 50 miles out for me. Thanke fekc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/13 11:41, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

I did. nearly every other IP methodology either puts me in harlow,
london or somewhere where IDnet (my isp) haskit.
This one put me 3 miles from my house.

That suggest that someone somewhere is building a geographic database of
IP addresses and sometimes its remarkably accurate.

Think: you go online shipping you fill in your name and address, and the
vendor passes that off to e.g. a third party for card verification, or
google analytics or something and google says 'hmm. Thats his addess,
that's his IP number' and stuffs it in a database somewhere.

I reiterate, whois and reverse DNS records ALONE are not enough to ID
my location that exactly.

Those I know. This is different.

What is clear is that it hasn't got that accurate data on most people,
especially those on dynamic addresses. But on some, it has.

However another oddity. The whole RANGE of IP addresses appears to be
more or less the same as far as the lookup is concerned.

but step outside of that class C and suddenly its moves to Hertfordshire.

One possibility is that BT monitors radius servers And that is in fact
the exchange code of the DSL kit being cross referenced.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/13 12:11, Mr Pounder wrote:
"alan" wrote in message
came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

I use a fixed IP but this web site doesn't seem to get beyond the identity
and location of my ISP.

Well, it was spot on with me.

exactly.
I suspect that there is a sparse database, that searches for exact
matches, and then progressively uses less precise tools. You and I are
'known' to it. Others are not.