Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A rather disturbing website...

On 26/08/13 12:02, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 26/08/2013 11:41, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:37:43 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
I would be very interested to know how many people here find the
same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least
is known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

Fixed IP here, and it's 150 miles out, suggesting Nottingham. Usually,
sites guess I'm in Bracknell (where my ISP is),
but the suggestion from this site has no relationship with with
anything
I can think of.

Ah, worked it out - it thinks I'm in Arnold (near Nottingham),
which it's presumably got confused with Andrews & Arnold, my ISP.

Yes, I mentioned that either here or in the other group where TNP Posted
this.

I think it's a bit disturbing that our TNP didn't know about this
information availability years ago...!

He is well known for his misleading posts.

I think not. well known for disagreeing with others misleading posts,
including presumably from the sour nature of your post, some of yours.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:22:39 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In the early days, usenet news was Demon's biggest service, and a
significant attraction for new customers.

I think the £10/month was more of an attraction compared to the arm
and leg that the other 'net providers wanted at the time (Pipex etc).
B-)

But being one of the founder members of Demon I'm possibly biased.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[snip]

well the paranoia is justified as it got to within 2 miles of me.

You could always grow a pair.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Looks like a proxy server in a datacenter is the only way to go if you
want anonymity these days...

Given that it tells me that I live in central London it's about as accurate
as a Cadbury's watch.

Thanks for the proof that hiding behind an alias means the poster is a
coward.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/13 13:24, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

One possibility is that BT monitors radius servers And that is in fact
the exchange code of the DSL kit being cross referenced.

Only on their own network, surely. There is an ATM VC that goes over
BT's ATM network to connect my router to one of my ISP's routers. I
don't see that BT has access to the IP addresses of each end of that
circuit, or, if it does, it shouldn't be spying.

BTs radius servers are used by all independent ISPs without LLU, they
'proxy' the ISPS own radius servers.

How else can BT know where to vector the actual ATM conversation?

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

Fixed IP and A&A as ISP, it only gets the IP and country right. City
is given as London, thats about 300 miles away.

The whois record is correct, complete and public, OK that's for the
domain but it's not exactly difficult to get the domain from the
IP...

I wonder if those that have closer locations given are on Virgin
Media or BT Internet?

The 15 miles that it got for me, is on Virgin's network. They have a large
switch located just about where it put the centre of the circle on the map

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/13 07:42, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 26/08/2013 01:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still
like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

More paranoia from NP! I am in Somerset and it shows me as being in
Central London. Completely useless as a means of locating me.

well the paranoia is justified as it got to within 2 miles of me.

It hardly seem worth worrying about since there are enough other ways of
finding someone's address without resorting to using their IP address.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 08:33, John Williamson wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It places the centre of the 20 mile radius that it thinks I'm in about 4
miles from my actual location. It might get a bit closer in London, but
only because tha area covered by each block in the IP range for a
particular ISP is smaller due to the greater population density.

If I log on via 3G, it thnks I'm in the docklands, which are about 200
miles away.

A fixed IP address may well have the street address associated with it,
depending on how particular the ISP is about registering such things.

Most ISPs will have the full postal address for each of their customers
- after all they want some assurance of collecting payment. They will
normally be ale to relate either a static IP, or if the time of the
connection is known, a dynamic IP to the relevant customer.

However to get that information out of them should require a court order
(although other rules may apply for spooks!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 15:18, Steve Firth wrote:
happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:37:43 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

Fixed IP here, and it's 150 miles out, suggesting Nottingham.
Usually, sites guess I'm in Bracknell (where my ISP is),
but the suggestion from this site has no relationship with
with anything I can think of.

Ah, worked it out - it thinks I'm in Arnold (near Nottingham),
which it's presumably got confused with Andrews & Arnold, my
ISP.

a silly question, your email is for demon and you are not using thier
news server. does demon no
longer have a new server? back in the day, they had the best news server in the country.

You have to be bloody joking.

Depends on the time window you pick... once they had built their
scalable server, it worked very well. A few years before they needed the
scalable server it was also ok. However that couple of years in the
middle kind of spoilt it!

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/13 12:11, Mr Pounder wrote:
"alan" wrote in message
came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still
like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

I use a fixed IP but this web site doesn't seem to get beyond the
identity
and location of my ISP.

Well, it was spot on with me.

exactly.
I suspect that there is a sparse database, that searches for exact
matches, and then progressively uses less precise tools. You and I are
'known' to it. Others are not.

I suspect that it just knows good looking people of very high intelligence
:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 11:35, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

Fixed IP and A&A as ISP, it only gets the IP and country right. City
is given as London, thats about 300 miles away.

The whois record is correct, complete and public, OK that's for the
domain but it's not exactly difficult to get the domain from the
IP...

I wonder if those that have closer locations given are on Virgin
Media or BT Internet?

Looks like a proxy server in a datacenter is the only way to go if you
want anonymity these days...

The tor network(s) have already been mentioned, these are also know
as "onion" networks beacuse of the many layers.

also from the name TOR = The Onion Router ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

well the paranoia is justified as it got to within 2 miles of me.

And how many people live in those 8 sq miles?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Artic scribbled...

The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

well the paranoia is justified as it got to within 2 miles of me.

And how many people live in those 8 sq miles?

******** - that should be 16 sm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No, you're well known for your highly misleading posts ...

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 12:52:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I think not. well known for disagreeing with others misleading posts,
including presumably from the sour nature of your post, some of yours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
15:49:25 on Mon, 26 Aug 2013, John Rumm
remarked:
Most ISPs will have the full postal address for each of their customers
- after all they want some assurance of collecting payment. They will
normally be ale to relate either a static IP, or if the time of the
connection is known, a dynamic IP to the relevant customer.

However to get that information out of them should require a court
order

Ahem! RIPA has been in place over ten years now, and only requires a
senior enough manager's signature, in whatever public authority or
police force claims to require the data.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

On 26/08/13 16:34, Artic wrote:
Artic scribbled...

The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

well the paranoia is justified as it got to within 2 miles of me.

And how many people live in those 8 sq miles?

******** - that should be 16 sm

less than 500

But as you're all related, I'm sure they'll keep your location a secret.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 17:48:04 on
Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Chris Hogg remarked:
It has me anywhere within the M25. Only 300 miles out, which I'm quite
pleased about!

Which simply proves that geolocation based on IP address is crap.

However, should you be using a laptop (let alone mobile) with wifi,
there are tools/databases that people can use which will quite likely
locate you within a few hundred yards.

--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
How else can BT know where to vector the actual ATM conversation?

I would have expected that, with one end in my local exchange, the other
end on the ISP's router, BT would use their management software to set
up a VC between those points over their ATM network, and that would be
it as far as their involvement was concerned. However, giggling for "BT
Radius Server" appears to indicate that it doesn't work like that;
perhaps the simple approach doesn't scale.

It doesn't actually know who your ISP is until your router tries to login.
If you reconfigure your router with the login details for another person
using a different ISP (but also on BT wholesale), you will find you can
login to their ISP on your line just like you normally log in to yours.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 10:28, Jonathan wrote:
On Monday, August 26, 2013 10:08:35 AM UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
"Jb" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to

deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly

(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like

to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -

that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

Surely this information has been available for years? I get students to

find out this stuff routinely, just to see if they can.

Puts me 120 miles away...

Jb

and me about 15 miles away ...

Arfa

and me 103 miles away, so I guess coincidence in many cases of purported accuracy

Jonathan

Correctly locates me in the Manchester area, but anywhere in a circle
around 24 miles diameter. Circle is centred on Manchester city centre,
not where I am located. So locates me along with probably around 3 to
3.5 million other people as a minimum.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:00:40 +0100, Davey wrote:

So I'd like to know if it 'knows' where you are right now.

I didn't get a pinpointed location: the map displayed a circle some
thirty miles in diameter. Even taking the nearest point on the rim of
the circle to me, the site was over sixty miles out.

It tells me that I am somewhere in the middle of London, whereas I'm
actually between Bury St. Edmunds and Norwich. Oops.

The Welsh border runs through my village, yet apparently I'm in Bedford...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/13 20:18, Tim Hodgson wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

t places the centre of the 20 mile radius that it thinks I'm in about 4
miles from my actual location. It might get a bit closer in London, but
only because tha area covered by each block in the IP range for a
particular ISP is smaller due to the greater population density.

Hang on - you're saying dynamic IPs are distributed according to some
geographical rule? That would rather defeat the point of dynamic IPs,
wouldn't it?

not really.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:35:39 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I wonder if those that have closer locations given are on Virgin Media
or BT Internet?

I'm on BT ADSL - yet it got me 150 miles wrong. And it _definitely_ isn't
down to insufficient online purchasing! The google connection posited is
also unlikely, since one of the several GMail accounts I use is behind a
domain name that's registered here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:00:40 +0100, Davey wrote:

So I'd like to know if it 'knows' where you are right now.

I didn't get a pinpointed location: the map displayed a circle some
thirty miles in diameter. Even taking the nearest point on the rim
of the circle to me, the site was over sixty miles out.

It tells me that I am somewhere in the middle of London, whereas I'm
actually between Bury St. Edmunds and Norwich. Oops.

The Welsh border runs through my village, yet apparently I'm in
Bedford...

I told the apprentice that the black line on my satnav was the border of
Isengard. We were in Chester and travelling South on the A483 at the time.
He never questioned it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

The location that it says that I'm at is about 70 miles out, and (so far
as I know) has no relevance to me or my ISP.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Hodgson wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

t places the centre of the 20 mile radius that it thinks I'm in about 4
miles from my actual location. It might get a bit closer in London, but
only because tha area covered by each block in the IP range for a
particular ISP is smaller due to the greater population density.

Hang on - you're saying dynamic IPs are distributed according to some
geographical rule? That would rather defeat the point of dynamic IPs,
wouldn't it?

As far as I can tell, there is a range of IP addresses allocated by the
ISP to each exchange or hub, and these will be geographically
identifiable as belonging to lines connected to that hub. The dynamic
bit just means that if a subscriber disconnects, their IP address
becomes available for re-allocation from that pool to another local
subscriber.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

t places the centre of the 20 mile radius that it thinks I'm in about 4
miles from my actual location. It might get a bit closer in London, but
only because tha area covered by each block in the IP range for a
particular ISP is smaller due to the greater population density.
Hang on - you're saying dynamic IPs are distributed according to some
geographical rule? That would rather defeat the point of dynamic IPs,
wouldn't it?

not really.

Well, I take the point to be that number_of_IPs number_of_customers.
The more constrained you are by geography, the more IPs you need for a
given number of customers.

Dynamic IP addresses are a hangover from the days of dial-up links,
where you only went on line for as long as you needed to download, say,
new posts to newsgroups you followed. As you were charged by the time
you spent connected, you then went off-line to read and compose your
replies, then you connected again to send you replies and read new
posts. In this way, the telco only need one IP address for ten or so
subscribers.

Some hotels still use this charging model for in-room internet conenctions.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:36:25 +0100, ARW wrote:

I told the apprentice that the black line on my satnav was the border of
Isengard. We were in Chester and travelling South on the A483 at the
time. He never questioned it.

You expect an apprentice to have read Tolkien?

You expect a lot...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think not. well known for disagreeing with others misleading posts,
including presumably from the sour nature of your post, some of your

It is interesting to note that not a single post confirms the OP's
hypothesis.

--
Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 15:57, Mr Pounder wrote:

I suspect that it just knows good looking people of very high intelligence
:-)

Or the site attempts to drop a Trojan onto your computer. Those with a
compromised system get all their personal data read from the hard disk
and the site reports your address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:
Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:00:40 +0100, Davey wrote:

So I'd like to know if it 'knows' where you are right now.

I didn't get a pinpointed location: the map displayed a circle some
thirty miles in diameter. Even taking the nearest point on the rim
of the circle to me, the site was over sixty miles out.

It tells me that I am somewhere in the middle of London, whereas I'm
actually between Bury St. Edmunds and Norwich. Oops.

The Welsh border runs through my village, yet apparently I'm in
Bedford...

I told the apprentice that the black line on my satnav was the border of
Isengard. We were in Chester and travelling South on the A483 at the time.
He never questioned it.

If you kept going and got to London, he'd have to believe it.

http://www.tomdanvers.com/2012/04/mordor-via-bank/

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 17:57, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:48:04 on
Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Chris Hogg remarked:
It has me anywhere within the M25. Only 300 miles out, which I'm quite
pleased about!

Which simply proves that geolocation based on IP address is crap.

However, should you be using a laptop (let alone mobile) with wifi,
there are tools/databases that people can use which will quite likely
locate you within a few hundred yards.

That's rubbish.
There are tools you can use to locate yourself to a few hundred yards.
he wifi identity is not usually passed beyond the router/ap unless you
send it at the application layer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2013 17:41, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
15:49:25 on Mon, 26 Aug 2013, John Rumm
remarked:
Most ISPs will have the full postal address for each of their
customers - after all they want some assurance of collecting payment.
They will normally be ale to relate either a static IP, or if the time
of the connection is known, a dynamic IP to the relevant customer.

However to get that information out of them should require a court order

Ahem! RIPA has been in place over ten years now, and only requires a
senior enough manager's signature, in whatever public authority or
police force claims to require the data.

Yup, but slightly (but not much!) different from jo public wanting
access. (they might need to pay beer money to one of the aforementioned
public officials).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Quite. One doesn't really need to say any more.

To liven things up though, we could place virtual bets on how soon he
suggests that it's all the fault of the EU, or greenies, or both, or
tries to claim that if only we'd built new nuclear power stations,
none of it would have happened.

I'll place a virtual fiver on the EU scenario, what's your choice?!

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:29:49 +0100, Peter Crosland
wrote:

It is interesting to note that not a single post confirms the OP's
hypothesis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/13 20:22, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
How else can BT know where to vector the actual ATM conversation?
I would have expected that, with one end in my local exchange,

the other end on the ISP's router, BT would use their management
software to set up a VC between those points over their ATM
network, and that would be it as far as their involvement was
concerned. However, giggling for "BT Radius Server" appears to
indicate that it doesn't work like that; perhaps the simple
approach doesn't scale.

It doesn't actually know who your ISP is until your router tries to
login.
If you reconfigure your router with the login details for another person
using a different ISP (but also on BT wholesale), you will find you can
login to their ISP on your line just like you normally log in to yours.

So the ATM circuit is built on the fly? That would make some sense.

I did almost understand it once - but I THINK the way it goes is that
you open a default ATM circuit to BT's radius server which knows broadly
'who' you belong to, and that then opens a new circuit to the ISP's
radius server using the credentials you have presented already..then you
get logged in there and have a direct virtual circuit to their
termination kit.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/13 20:36, ARW wrote:
Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:00:40 +0100, Davey wrote:

So I'd like to know if it 'knows' where you are right now.
I didn't get a pinpointed location: the map displayed a circle some
thirty miles in diameter. Even taking the nearest point on the rim
of the circle to me, the site was over sixty miles out.
It tells me that I am somewhere in the middle of London, whereas I'm
actually between Bury St. Edmunds and Norwich. Oops.

The Welsh border runs through my village, yet apparently I'm in
Bedford...

I told the apprentice that the black line on my satnav was the border of
Isengard. We were in Chester and travelling South on the A483 at the time.
He never questioned it.

we were driving through Newmarket when my elderly mother asked what town
it was.
'Edinburgh' I said. There was a pause. 'Its not how I imagined it would
be' she said.

That's when we knew we had a problem.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:38:57 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Quite. One doesn't really need to say any more.

To liven things up though, we could place virtual bets on how soon he
suggests that it's all the fault of the EU, or greenies, or both, or
tries to claim that if only we'd built new nuclear power stations, none
of it would have happened.

I'll place a virtual fiver on the EU scenario, what's your choice?

WD40. Spawn of the devil.