Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default A rather disturbing website...

On 26/08/2013 08:33, John Williamson wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It places the centre of the 20 mile radius that it thinks I'm in about 4
miles from my actual location. It might get a bit closer in London, but
only because tha area covered by each block in the IP range for a
particular ISP is smaller due to the greater population density.

If I log on via 3G, it thnks I'm in the docklands, which are about 200
miles away.

A fixed IP address may well have the street address associated with it,
depending on how particular the ISP is about registering such things.

Most ISPs will have the full postal address for each of their customers
- after all they want some assurance of collecting payment. They will
normally be ale to relate either a static IP, or if the time of the
connection is known, a dynamic IP to the relevant customer.

However to get that information out of them should require a court order
(although other rules may apply for spooks!)

--
Cheers,

John.