Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default A rather disturbing website...

I don't see anything there I've not found via other look up systems. T the
coding seems to have a list of which IPs on a given machine go to which
general areas of the area in which it is situated which one would expect
surely, as this is hardly secret.

Kingston upon Thames is as accurate as they can get here, due I'd imagine to
the dynamic IP.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

I did look up one 3 year old dynamically allocated IP address in an
email from someone local, and it reckoned they were in Dorset, which is
a long way away, but the mail was several years old.

So I'd like to know if it 'knows' where you are right now.

The implications are not pleasant. Especially in the context where I
discovered it being used. In essence any website that wants to know
where the person that said XYZ on their blog is located, to possibly
withina few miles, can do so.

And the site I chanced upon is one where the sort of people who run it,
would be quite capable of slinging a brick through your windows slashing
your tyres or worse.

Needless to say I got out very fast indeed.

Looks like a proxy server in a datacenter is the only way to go if you
want anonymity these days...

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.