Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default A rather disturbing website...

On Monday, August 26, 2013 10:08:35 AM UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
"Jb" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 01:01:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to

deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly

(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like

to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -

that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

Surely this information has been available for years? I get students to

find out this stuff routinely, just to see if they can.

Puts me 120 miles away...

Jb

and me about 15 miles away ...

Arfa

and me 103 miles away, so I guess coincidence in many cases of purported accuracy

Jonathan