Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default A rather disturbing website...

came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to
deal with.

This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly
(it certainly knew which exchange I was on ADSL wise, and I'd still like
to know how) where you are located.

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php

I would be very interested to know how many people here find the same -
that it is more accurate than it has any right to be.

It certainly suggests thatif you are on a fixed IP your town at least is
known. I'd be interested to hear also from those on a dynamically
allocated IP address how accurate it is.

Around 20 or so miles out.

And exactly the same location that other services (such as Google's)
assume for me.

Being on an arm of Virgin's cable, they all seem to base location on the
start point of this area.

Our ip is dynamic but it very, very rarely changes (don't actually
bother checking but it certainly has remained the same for several years).

--
Rod