Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recycling

Huge wrote:
On 2013-08-23, John Williamson wrote:
Huge wrote:
On 2013-08-23, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
I'd send a bill to your council for the time you spend sorting your rubbish,
a task you already pay them for.
Rubbish. If you want them to do it, they'll have to charge more. If I
have an empty bottle or plastic drinks bottle in my mitt, how hard is it
to put it in the right container?
Harder than putting it in the single bin my council provide. Plus the
storage space. Sorting waste should be done by your council.

I reckon I must spend all of a minute extra per week making sure that
stuff goes into the right bin of the four supplied.

You've spent longer than that (much longer) arguing about it.

If waste is sorted into separate bins as it's generated, it needs much
less sorting than it would if it were all put into one bin for later
sorting.

Tell someone who cares.

The materials gained by sorting at source are also better suited to
recycling than stuff obtained by sorting the general waste stream,

Except, as has so ably been demonstrated in this thread, you cannot rely
on householders to get it right.

saving everybody except the initial thrower-away time, money and energy.

I *am* the "initial thrower-away" and I don't GAS about the rest of it. I
pay someone to deal with my waste. Let them deal with it. I'll cheerfully
sort my rubbish at my consultancy rate.

While expecting the council to sort it at the legal minimum wage.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 16:29, Nightjar wrote:
On 23/08/2013 16:15, Unbeliever wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
We have three bins in our kitchen, ...
I'd like to get rid of the 'general waste' bin.

Carry on, there's nothing to stop you - other than it belongs to the
LA and
could be considered as theft if you do.

The LA provides you with the bins you keep in the kitchen? Mine doesn't
even provide me with a general waste bin for outside.

Colin Bignell

He is rather dim isn't he? I didn't realise quite how dim though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 16:15, Unbeliever wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
We have three bins in our kitchen, one for food scraps, one for
recycling (don't have to sort it, everything goes in one bag), and a
third for 'general waste'.

It occurs to me, that we throw out either food waste or recycling
stuff. What would you throw away that doesn't fall into either of
those categories?

Surely stuff that's non-recyclable - or is that too obvious?

E.G packaging such certain types of glass, bull****, plastic covered
cardboards/paper, certain plastic containers, chemical containers - or
anything that your local council won't or can't sell or compost - and
different LAs have different ideas on what they will treat as recycling.

I'd like to get rid of the 'general waste' bin.

Carry on, there's nothing to stop you - other than it belongs to the LA and
could be considered as theft if you do.

You don't have to keep proving what a thick **** you are - we already know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-23, Andrew May wrote:
On 23/08/2013 13:38, John Williamson wrote:

I reckon I must spend all of a minute extra per week making sure that
stuff goes into the right bin of the four supplied.

But if there are 20m households in the UK that is the equivalent to 173
man-years of extra work per year. I know it is only a small amount on an
individual basis but if they can use that sort of calculation to show
that everybody's TV standby consumes a LOT of electricity then surely it
works both ways,

Good point, although it's the principle I object to. There are shedloads
of things that businesses now expect the customer to do, which used to
be done by them, and it ****es me off; self service checkouts, a lot
of online banking stuff and sorting your bloody rubbish.

Our council re-designated the large wheely bin for all recyclables. You
can stick in paper, card, bottles, jars, cans, foil, plastic containers,
and tubs etc. About the only thing they don't like now is thin film
plastics like crisp packets. All sorted centrally - so it demonstrates
that it can be done.

(There is then a two thirds sized bin for other rubbish, and a green one
for food and garden waste).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 13:56, stuart noble wrote:
Sorting waste should be done by your council.

Thus spake the late Andy Hall who proposed billing the council for his
time, which he hinted would have been extremely costly because he was
such a VIP.
The idea of jumbling everything up and having some poor sod go through
it because you can't be bothered is positively anti-social

It can be automatically separated - they do it here.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mr Pounder" wrote:

I used to know a bloke who lives in the south.
He once told me that they have to wrap the food waste up in newspaper and
then put it in the bin. To me this seems to be begging for flies, maggots
and horrible smells.

How can flies get in if the bin is locked? We have a small grey bin for
this purpose and it's collected once a week. As the food waste *is*
wrapped up in paper that makes it harder for flies anyway, even if the lid
were open (which it's not).

We put the food waste in sealed plastic bags and then in the bin.

Ours is in paper so it can be composted. Which it all is and then sold. In
fact the council gives us an even smaller grey bin for indoor collection
of food waste, but we don't see the point of that - just take it straight
out to the proper bin after wrapping it in paper.

And we only put meat/fish/catfood waste in that anyway. All vegetable
scraps we compost ourselves.

Food wrapped in newspaper rotting and stinking for two weeks. I think not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 09:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , stuart noble
writes
We have three bins in our kitchen, one for food scraps, one for
recycling (don't have to sort it, everything goes in one bag), and a
third for 'general waste'.

It occurs to me, that we throw out either food waste or recycling stuff.
What would you throw away that doesn't fall into either of those
categories?

I'd like to get rid of the 'general waste' bin.

polystyrene packaging from the big tele?

What do people do with unwanted paint? I have tried taking the lid off
emulsion and find it takes weeks to solidify.

I spent some time a few years back working out how to shift that. The
local skip company would take water based stuff like emulsion, but not
oil based unless dry (or soaked into something).

Over the years, I have accumulated 100l or so of oil based paint. Mainly
job lots at farm sales where the auctioneers have lumped crap with
saleable stuff. Anyone for festering JCB yellow?

There are also some paint recycling schemes that will take left over
tins. They then warehouse and keep them and distribute them to community
projects.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 23, 2013 4:31:33 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 23 Aug 2013 14:14:47 GMT, Huge wrote:

And people think this "zillions of bins" stuff is easy.

It really does depend on your local council and available space.

Those ones with four or five wheelie bins per household plus an equal

number of other containers in a normal urban 3 bed semi setting are

just plain stupid. Not enough space outside for the bins, not enough

space inside to store the stuff before shoving it in the appropiate

bin.

Ours seems to hit the balance about right, one wheelie bin for garden

waste, one box for glass/metal, one strong reuseable bag for

paper/card another for hard plastic. Single use blue bag for

everything else.

We have a wheelie bin for rubbish (for us a carrier bag a week), a wheelie bin for re-cycling: rigid plastic, glass, paper card, metal, and an optional third bin for composting. I am pleased with it.

BTW I understand polystyrene is easy to re-cycle but isn't because EU targets are set by weight.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 11:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Rubbish. If you want them to do it, they'll have to charge more.

It doesn't cost much to ship it to the third world for sorting.

You will possibly find that you sort the waste and during collection it
all goes into the same heap and then is shipped to one of the large
waste recycling centres that have a mixture of machines and humans to
separate it again.

Until recently people around my way sorted glass by colour into large
road side bins. During collection each bin was picked up in turn and
emptied into the single compartment on the back of the lorry. Possibly
with no market for the old glass it went to landfill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 09:46, Tim Lamb wrote:

What do people do with unwanted paint?

Tip it down the drain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 11:48, tim..... wrote:

but even the most eco-friendly numpty can see that driving to the tip,
just to dump a tin of paint, is environmentally silly

My local council were proud that over a million trips were made to the
tip by residents in their cars.

The greener alternative may have been to ....... send around a lorry
once a week to collect it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote:

[...]

**** me, you need new glasses. What part of "it's collected weekly" is too
hard for you to understand?

Yours may be, the bloke I was referring to has a two week collection.
Sorry to confuse you, I should have made myself clearer.
Do you really have to wrap stinking cat **** in paper?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 13:56, stuart noble wrote:
Sorting waste should be done by your council.

Thus spake the late Andy Hall who proposed billing the council for his
time, which he hinted would have been extremely costly because he was
such a VIP.
The idea of jumbling everything up and having some poor sod go through
it because you can't be bothered is positively anti-social

It may be fine to sort it all if you live in a big house, but our
kitchen has room for one bin. Even that means that if my wife is at the
fridge, I can't get through between the bin and her - which seems to
happen very frequently - and that is the only location for it as that is
the only wall space that is not covered by a cupboars, appliance or
door. The net result is that the items that need to be sorted separately
end up hanging in carrier bags from the cupboard doors. We do it, but it
makes the kitchen look a permanent mess; gets in the way when you want
something from the cupboards and they are always falling off as you bump
against them. It may save money to sort in the home, but there are real
downsides to it.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 15:28, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Friday 23 August 2013 11:46 Muddymike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Lamb wrote:
Over the years, I have accumulated 100l or so of oil based paint.
Mainly
job lots at farm sales where the auctioneers have lumped crap with
saleable stuff. Anyone for festering JCB yellow?

My local furniture recycling place take old paint, mix it up with other
old paint, and turn it into magnolia.

Or you could offer to repaint your local chinese restaurant kitchen
cheaply?

Owain

Visiting an aunt earlier this year I was shocked to see the array of
wheeled bins blocking the pavement outside her apartment block. Three of
differing colours per apartment, all neatly numbered with the apartment
number. As the block was built pre the advent of wheeled bins there is
nowhere to store them so they live on the pavement with residents
jostling
them for pole position!

Mike

You should try the "fancy" parts of London. Not allowed to leave bins out.
So come rubbish day, the pavements are strewn with piles of black bin
liners. Looks like a bad day in a third world country.

Talking about Kensington and the like here!

I used to know a bloke who lives in the south.
He once told me that they have to wrap the food waste up in newspaper and
then put it in the bin. To me this seems to be begging for flies, maggots
and horrible smells.
We put the food waste in sealed plastic bags and then in the bin.

We use compostable plastic bags (council supplied) and into the green
(garden waste and food waste) bin, but we only generally use that for
things like chicken carcasses or packaged food that has accidentally
been missed and has gone off. Most food waste goes down the waste
disposal unit!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 17:35, Tim Streater wrote:

Ours is in paper so it can be composted. Which it all is and then sold.
In fact the council gives us an even smaller grey bin for indoor
collection of food waste, but we don't see the point of that - just take
it straight out to the proper bin after wrapping it in paper.

New rules coming in soon for us:

"Due to government guidance we are no longer able to accept food waste
wrapped in newspaper, paper bags or kitchen roll. Please either use the
compostable caddy liners or tip the food in loose."

(And any bags must have the right symbol on them.)

Garden waste will no longer allow any food/kitchen waste.

I do wonder whether a windfall apple is food waste or garden waste?
(Whether it fell in the tree owner's garden or over the fence for those
who read u.l.m.)

Black (actually grey) wheelie - general.
Green wheelie - garden stuff.
Blue wheelie - mixed plastics, tins, glass and cartons.
Green box paper.
Red bag - textiles.
Clear bag - batteries
(PLace full bags on top of blue wheelie.)
Grey (they call it grey) caddy - kitchen waste in kitchen.
Brown bin - kitchen waste outside.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote:

It may be fine to sort it all if you live in a big house, but our
kitchen has room for one bin. Even that means that if my wife is at the
fridge, I can't get through between the bin and her

Well cut down her rations.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We use compostable plastic bags (council supplied) and into the green
(garden waste and food waste) bin, but we only generally use that for
things like chicken carcasses or packaged food that has accidentally
been missed and has gone off. Most food waste goes down the waste
disposal unit!

In summer we put chicken carcasses in the freezer, then usually forget
to take them out on collection day :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/13 19:57, stuart noble wrote:

We use compostable plastic bags (council supplied) and into the green
(garden waste and food waste) bin, but we only generally use that for
things like chicken carcasses or packaged food that has accidentally
been missed and has gone off. Most food waste goes down the waste
disposal unit!

In summer we put chicken carcasses in the freezer, then usually forget
to take them out on collection day :-(

don't you know anyone with dogs?

By the time we have eaten te chicken, boiled te carcase into chicken and
sweetcormn soup, there isn't enough left for anything except doggy
chews. They polish it off in minutes

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote:

[...]

:-)

That is not supposed to go in the food recycling bin, wrapped in paper or
no. If we still had my cat (RIP two weeks ago) and it used a litter tray,
that would get put in the landfill bin.

Fair enough.
We have 3 wheelie bins:
One for garden waste which we can also put waste food in. We don't.
One for tins, glass, plastic etc which we are not allowed to bag up.
One for general rubbish. We use this mainly for bagged up kitchen waste.
And a plastic box with a lid for paper. The paper is also allowed in the
general bin ffs.
I use big bin liners in the garden and tin bin. This slows down the ****ed
up and stinking process.
It was bin men day today. I left the top of the tin bin open to dry up the
spilt pop etc. It was immediately invaded by flies.
The system works well and I still find wrapping waste food in newspaper
quite unhygienic.
Maybe its not all that grim in the north.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 15:17, Huge wrote:

I *am* the "initial thrower-away" and I don't GAS about the rest of it. I
pay someone to deal with my waste. Let them deal with it. I'll cheerfully
sort my rubbish at my consultancy rate.

Another one of those spongers who want their lifestyle subsidised by
everyone else, maybe you should change your nym to Hughagain!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Illegal if you mean roadside storm drain, as with motor oil.

Not sure about foul sewer, but I suspect your Water Authority may have
something to say about it, certainly if it's not suitably dissolved.

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:52:09 +0100, alan
wrote:

On 23/08/2013 09:46, Tim Lamb wrote:

What do people do with unwanted paint?

Tip it down the drain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

I'd send a bill to your council for the time you spend sorting
your rubbish, a task you already pay them for.

Rubbish. If you want them to do it, they'll have to charge more.

Not necessarily. Mixed recycling results in a significantly larger
volume of materials being recycled. Many councils argue that the
resulting higher income more than covers the additional cost of sorting it.

I think that's the theory they're working on here, not only have they
gone from 4 bins collected by 3 lorries to 2 bins collected by 2
lorries, they've also gone from fortnightly recycling to weekly
recycling (keeping weekly rubbish too), they've then got to sort it, so
they must see an upside to the new scheme ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 19:41, polygonum wrote:
On 23/08/2013 17:35, Tim Streater wrote:

Ours is in paper so it can be composted. Which it all is and then sold.
In fact the council gives us an even smaller grey bin for indoor
collection of food waste, but we don't see the point of that - just take
it straight out to the proper bin after wrapping it in paper.

New rules coming in soon for us:

"Due to government guidance we are no longer able to accept food waste
wrapped in newspaper, paper bags or kitchen roll. Please either use the
compostable caddy liners or tip the food in loose."

(And any bags must have the right symbol on them.)

Garden waste will no longer allow any food/kitchen waste.

That's odd. Our council only moved over to a system of allowing food
waste in with the garden waste at the end of May! It all goes for
composting.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

I'd send a bill to your council for the time you spend sorting
your rubbish, a task you already pay them for.

Rubbish. If you want them to do it, they'll have to charge more.

Not necessarily. Mixed recycling results in a significantly larger
volume of materials being recycled. Many councils argue that the
resulting higher income more than covers the additional cost of
sorting it.

I think that's the theory they're working on here, not only have they
gone from 4 bins collected by 3 lorries to 2 bins collected by 2
lorries, they've also gone from fortnightly recycling to weekly
recycling (keeping weekly rubbish too), they've then got to sort it, so
they must see an upside to the new scheme ...

They approximate figures are that the council gets paid about £15 for
recyclables and has to pay about £60 for landfill (per tonne?).
People like hugh that refuse to recycle are costing us money.
They should pay more than those that recycle and not expect others to
subsidise their idleness.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
We have three bins in our kitchen, one for food scraps, one for
recycling (don't have to sort it, everything goes in one bag), and a
third for 'general waste'.

It occurs to me, that we throw out either food waste or recycling
stuff. What would you throw away that doesn't fall into either of
those categories?

Surely stuff that's non-recyclable - or is that too obvious?

E.G packaging such certain types of glass, bull****, plastic covered
cardboards/paper, certain plastic containers, chemical containers - or
anything that your local council won't or can't sell or compost - and
different LAs have different ideas on what they will treat as recycling.

I'd like to get rid of the 'general waste' bin.

Carry on, there's nothing to stop you - other than it belongs to the LA and
could be considered as theft if you do.

Surely if he were to cut it up and put it in the waste plastics bin he'd
have given it back to the council!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-23, SteveW wrote:
On 23/08/2013 19:41, polygonum wrote:
On 23/08/2013 17:35, Tim Streater wrote:

Ours is in paper so it can be composted. Which it all is and then sold.
In fact the council gives us an even smaller grey bin for indoor
collection of food waste, but we don't see the point of that - just take
it straight out to the proper bin after wrapping it in paper.

New rules coming in soon for us:

"Due to government guidance we are no longer able to accept food waste
wrapped in newspaper, paper bags or kitchen roll. Please either use the
compostable caddy liners or tip the food in loose."

(And any bags must have the right symbol on them.)

Garden waste will no longer allow any food/kitchen waste.

That's odd. Our council only moved over to a system of allowing food
waste in with the garden waste at the end of May! It all goes for
composting.

The whole system is a shambles.

It's a bloomin' nightmare for people if they move around - maybe staying
in a holiday let, or looking after a relative's house. Some of the
differences are towards the subtle end of the spectrum and so very, very
easy to get wrong. We have already had two eight-page leaflets and we
will probably get more before or at implementation. That is quite a lot
to take in before you chuck something in the bin. The "rules" here seem
to insist that any mistake results in receptacles not being emptied.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 20:08:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

By the time we have eaten te chicken, boiled te carcase into chicken and
sweetcormn soup, there isn't enough left for anything except doggy
chews. They polish it off in minutes

I didn't think it was a good idea to give dogs poultry bones as they
splinter rather than crack into lumps like mammal bones.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

What do people do with unwanted paint?

Make a small hole in the bottom of the tin then store it upside down.
Park in a layby and fix the tin under the vehicle the right way up. Draw
a line on the road for miles. It's really good fun. It's best done at night.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

and 'pill strips', or whatever they're called, and all aerosols.

I've been saving my aerosols for two years now, and I have a big
sackful. I plan to throw it on the fire at my bonfire party.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 13:41, Nightjar wrote:

Not necessarily. Mixed recycling results in a significantly larger
volume of materials being recycled. Many councils argue that the
resulting higher income more than covers the additional cost of sorting it.

Is there any income? Doesn't the whole of the domestic recycling
industry work by making it cheaper for councils (or their outsourced
contractors) to drive your rubbish maybe hundreds of miles to a
recycling plant rather than pay the landfill tax? At the end of the day
YOU are paying hundreds extra in your council tax because the government
made the cost of disposing of domestic rubbish artificially high with
the landfill tax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 04:24, Bill Wright wrote:
Davey wrote:

and 'pill strips', or whatever they're called, and all aerosols.

I've been saving my aerosols for two years now, and I have a big
sackful. I plan to throw it on the fire at my bonfire party.

Bill

The ones still full of propane work better on a bonfire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 11:30, Davey wrote:
'pill strips'

Blister packs.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:23:29 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan wrote:

BTW I understand polystyrene is easy to re-cycle but isn't because EU targets are set by weight.

About 3 years ago the council said that we could recycle yoghurt pot but not
polystyrene. At that time the pots I had were labelled PS!
Still, I have been told by more than one person that pots, rigid boxes etc,
aren't PS because PS is white and crumbly.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

[...]

I hope you are driving your own rubbish to the landfill and not expecting
others to subsidise your idleness.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2013 22:09, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

On 2013-08-23, dennis@home wrote:

People like hugh that refuse to recycle are costing us money.

You will be apologising for that libel, won't you?

What libel? You keep insisting it's not your business to do it. Don't be
surprised to be taken at your word.

They should pay more than those that recycle and not expect others

to subsidise their idleness.

Which bit of "**** off and die you dribbly old ****" was it you didn't
understand? The best bit of you ran down your mother's leg after she'd
been gang raped by syphilitic baboons.

Gosh, how witty and original.

Careful that could be libel.
I wonder how long he would get for cyber-bullying in the current climate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 07:43, PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:23:29 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan wrote:

BTW I understand polystyrene is easy to re-cycle but isn't because EU targets are set by weight.

About 3 years ago the council said that we could recycle yoghurt pot but not
polystyrene. At that time the pots I had were labelled PS!
Still, I have been told by more than one person that pots, rigid boxes etc,
aren't PS because PS is white and crumbly.

Expanded polystyrene isn't easy to auto separate after its crumbled,
which is does as soon as its put in the bin.
It clings to everything as you may have noticed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2013 07:43, PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:23:29 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan wrote:

BTW I understand polystyrene is easy to re-cycle but isn't because EU targets are set by weight.

About 3 years ago the council said that we could recycle yoghurt pot but not
polystyrene. At that time the pots I had were labelled PS!
Still, I have been told by more than one person that pots, rigid boxes etc,
aren't PS because PS is white and crumbly.

Our rules currently state that we are allowed to dispose of plastic
bottles - but not most other plastic items such as pots, trays, and so on.

I keep wondering how a bottle is defined? I could understand if they
said something like typical PET fizzy drink bottles - but the range
between them and the other bottle-like containers is vast and poorly
defined. And how come they make no specification whatsoever about which
plastic the bottle is made from?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 13:56:39 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Sorting waste should be done by your council.

Thus spake the late Andy Hall who proposed billing the council for his
time, which he hinted would have been extremely costly because he was
such a VIP.
The idea of jumbling everything up and having some poor sod go through
it because you can't be bothered is positively anti-social

The idea of sorting it all out and then having the council ship it off to a
landfill dump in a third world country is also antisocial.

Apologies for the source (and DEFRA apparently deny what the DM are claiming)
but similar stories have been covered by a few other news outlets over recent
years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304773/The-great-recycling-trick-How-carefully-sorted-waste-dumped-abroad.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 08:54:15 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

We have three bins in our kitchen, one for food scraps, one for
recycling (don't have to sort it, everything goes in one bag), and a
third for 'general waste'.

It occurs to me, that we throw out either food waste or recycling stuff.
What would you throw away that doesn't fall into either of those
categories?

I'd like to get rid of the 'general waste' bin.

No bin in the kitchen, no sorting, no composting anything once it has come into
the house, just a carrier bag, tied up and dumped in the dustbin that takes
maybe six weeks to fill. Aluminium cans get crushed flat and dumped in a
bucket, when its full it gets weighed in. Can't be arsed to recycle anything
else but plastic bottles, that bin gets emptied once a year . With the majority
of my waste going to landfill I feel I am doing my bit for future
archaeologists.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
We have three bins in our kitchen, ...
I'd like to get rid of the 'general waste' bin.

Carry on, there's nothing to stop you - other than it belongs to the LA and
could be considered as theft if you do.

The LA provides you with the bins you keep in the kitchen? Mine doesn't
even provide me with a general waste bin for outside.

How do they get away with that then?

Do you have to buy your own?

OT - Recycling gone mad David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 96 February 17th 12 06:17 PM
recycling Kevin Woodturning 25 August 13th 10 03:42 AM
Recycling Gone Too Far The Daring Dufas[_6_] Home Repair 1 April 11th 10 10:34 PM
Recycling a DC? Wade Lippman Woodworking 18 August 4th 07 04:47 PM
recycling tv's etc. mm Electronics Repair 73 October 23rd 06 05:04 AM