Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Recycling a DC?

I am asking $225 for my 2hp (okay it is only 16a, but it could be 2hp)
cannister DC on craigslist but am getting no response. Next try would be
eBay, but I don't want to go there for an item that can't be shipped. So, I
am thinking of recycling it.

Assuming I can get the RPMs worked out, would it be reasonable to use the
motor on my 1hp jointer? Would it cut better with the added power?

Use the cannister and lower bag as a filter on a vacuum? Would the added
filter area help the suction any?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am asking $225 for my 2hp (okay it is only 16a, but it could be 2hp)
cannister DC on craigslist but am getting no response. Next try would be
eBay, but I don't want to go there for an item that can't be shipped. So, I
am thinking of recycling it.

Where are you? Maybe someone here would be interested. Or you could
try posting it at WoodNet, Sawmill Creek, or some other woodworking
forum with a "Classifieds" section.
Sorry I didn't answer your question directly, but I hope this is
helpful...
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wade Lippman wrote:
I am asking $225 for my 2hp (okay it is only 16a, but it could be 2hp)
cannister DC on craigslist but am getting no response. Next try would be
eBay, but I don't want to go there for an item that can't be shipped. So, I
am thinking of recycling it.

Isn't the more usual thing to do just be to lower the price? If you can't sell
it for $225, maybe $195 might be somebody's sweet spot.

I look at Craig's List pretty much every day. That's the way you unload stuff
there... set a price, wait, if it doesn't sell then set a lower price.
Eventually you get rid of it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am asking $225 for my 2hp (okay it is only 16a, but it could be 2hp)
cannister DC on craigslist but am getting no response. Next try would be
eBay, but I don't want to go there for an item that can't be shipped.
So, I
am thinking of recycling it.

Where are you? Maybe someone here would be interested. Or you could
try posting it at WoodNet, Sawmill Creek, or some other woodworking
forum with a "Classifieds" section.
Sorry I didn't answer your question directly, but I hope this is
helpful...
Andy

I thought we weren't supposed to sell things here, but since you ask;
Rochester NY.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Wade Lippman wrote:
I am asking $225 for my 2hp (okay it is only 16a, but it could be 2hp)
cannister DC on craigslist but am getting no response. Next try would be
eBay, but I don't want to go there for an item that can't be shipped.
So, I
am thinking of recycling it.

Isn't the more usual thing to do just be to lower the price? If you can't
sell it for $225, maybe $195 might be somebody's sweet spot.

Of course you get rid of it eventually, but the motor alone is worth $225;
If I can't get that much for it I would rather soup up my jointer and make a
better vacuum.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wade Lippman wrote:
Isn't the more usual thing to do just be to lower the price? If you can't
sell it for $225, maybe $195 might be somebody's sweet spot.

Of course you get rid of it eventually, but the motor alone is worth $225;
If I can't get that much for it I would rather soup up my jointer and make a
better vacuum.

How much is your time and aggravation worth while you're converting this into
who-knows-what? You need to figure that into the price as well as the value of
the DC parts.

Maybe you just enjoy a challenge more than I do.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:36:53 GMT, "Wade Lippman"
wrote:

I am asking $225 for my 2hp (okay it is only 16a, but it could be 2hp)
cannister DC on craigslist but am getting no response. Next try would be
eBay, but I don't want to go there for an item that can't be shipped. So, I
am thinking of recycling it.

Assuming I can get the RPMs worked out, would it be reasonable to use the
motor on my 1hp jointer? Would it cut better with the added power?

I doubt you'd see much benefit, and if your jointer is anything like
mine getting that motor in there and tensioned right was something I
only want to experience once. A band saw would probably be a better
place for it if you had a 3/4 hp 14" saw.

The easiest thing to do with a spare motor is make a disc sander,
though 2 hp is kind of ridiculous for that.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sure you did. A 8a 2hp motor; another HF miracle breakthrough. And the
canvas dust bag is nice too. The only good thing about is that the motor is
too feeble to spread the dust very far.

"Pat" wrote in message
I just bought a new 2 HP DC at Harbor Freight for $180.

"Wade Lippman" wrote in message
I am asking $225 for my 2hp (okay it is only 16a, but it could be 2hp)
cannister DC on craigslist but am getting no response. Next try would be
eBay, but I don't want to go there for an item that can't be shipped. So,
I am thinking of recycling it.

Assuming I can get the RPMs worked out, would it be reasonable to use the
motor on my 1hp jointer? Would it cut better with the added power?

Use the cannister and lower bag as a filter on a vacuum? Would the added
filter area help the suction any?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:22:38 GMT, "Wade Lippman" wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am asking $225 for my 2hp (okay it is only 16a, but it could be 2hp)
cannister DC on craigslist but am getting no response. Next try would be
eBay, but I don't want to go there for an item that can't be shipped.
So, I
am thinking of recycling it.

Where are you? Maybe someone here would be interested. Or you could
try posting it at WoodNet, Sawmill Creek, or some other woodworking
forum with a "Classifieds" section.
Sorry I didn't answer your question directly, but I hope this is
helpful...
Andy

I thought we weren't supposed to sell things here, but since you ask;
Rochester NY.

AFAIK, "sellers" are not appreciated, but woodworkers selling their used stuff
is cool..

IMHO, folks in the group selling or trading their own stuff isn't spam, just
part of woodworking.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:23:47 GMT, "Wade Lippman" wrote:

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
m...
Wade Lippman wrote:
I am asking $225 for my 2hp (okay it is only 16a, but it could be 2hp)
cannister DC on craigslist but am getting no response. Next try would be
eBay, but I don't want to go there for an item that can't be shipped.
So, I
am thinking of recycling it.

Isn't the more usual thing to do just be to lower the price? If you can't
sell it for $225, maybe $195 might be somebody's sweet spot.

Of course you get rid of it eventually, but the motor alone is worth $225;
If I can't get that much for it I would rather soup up my jointer and make a
better vacuum.

You could build one bad-ass disc sander... *eg*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat" wrote in message

I just bought a new 2 HP DC at Harbor Freight for $180.

Harbor Freight web site lists only one 2HP DC, ITEM 45378-1VGA.
Harbor Freight web site lists it at 14 amp at 110V.

The product manual for the unit shows:

Motor 2 HP, 20 AMPS Peak, Single Phase, 60 Hz, 110 Volts

Where did you come up with 8a?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat" wrote in message

I just bought a new 2 HP DC at Harbor Freight for $180.

Harbor Freight web site lists only one 2HP DC, ITEM 45378-1VGA.
Harbor Freight web site lists it at 14 amp at 110V.

The product manual for the unit shows:

Motor 2 HP, 20 AMPS Peak, Single Phase, 60 Hz, 110 Volts

Where did you come up with 8a?

Sorry, I remembered it was a whole lot less than the amperage for any 2hp
motor, but didn't recall the exact amount.
Okay, 14a not 8a.
(And please don't get into the calculations of how many amps go into a hp.
For normal motors it is approximately 22a; for expensive high efficiency
motors maybe as low as 16a. It is never 14a, and HF does not use expensive
high efficiency motors; it is probably a tad more than 1hp. And that
assumes it actually draws 14a; an uncertain issue.)

I am selling a canister DC with a real 2hp motor; asking $225. Two people
have offered $200; for that price I will scrap it and save the motor in case
my TS motor ever calls it quits, since the motor alone sells for $300.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 31, 9:13 pm, "Toller" wrote:
(And please don't get into the calculations of how many amps go into a hp.
For normal motors it is approximately 22a; for expensive high efficiency
motors maybe as low as 16a. It is never 14a, and HF does not use expensive
high efficiency motors; it is probably a tad more than 1hp. And that
assumes it actually draws 14a; an uncertain issue.)

I am selling a canister DC with a real 2hp motor; asking $225. Two people
have offered $200; for that price I will scrap it and save the motor in case
my TS motor ever calls it quits, since the motor alone sells for $300.

Anybody got any links or something where I can research that? I
confess I'm not well-versed in motors as I used to be, but everything
I've ever been taught says if it pulls x amps on y number of volts,
it's using xy watts and therefore xy(cf) horsepower. How is horsepower
measured in this case?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
On Jul 31, 9:13 pm, "Toller" wrote:
(And please don't get into the calculations of how many amps go into a hp.
For normal motors it is approximately 22a; for expensive high efficiency
motors maybe as low as 16a. It is never 14a, and HF does not use expensive
high efficiency motors; it is probably a tad more than 1hp. And that
assumes it actually draws 14a; an uncertain issue.)

I am selling a canister DC with a real 2hp motor; asking $225. Two people
have offered $200; for that price I will scrap it and save the motor in case
my TS motor ever calls it quits, since the motor alone sells for $300.

Anybody got any links or something where I can research that? I
confess I'm not well-versed in motors as I used to be, but everything
I've ever been taught says if it pulls x amps on y number of volts,
it's using xy watts and therefore xy(cf) horsepower. How is horsepower
measured in this case?

Input vs output...you're right on the input calculations energy used.

To measure actual motor hp requires a dynamometer.

Efficiency is measured as the difference.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/el...ncy-d_655.html

Much below 75-80% is a pretty inefficient motor for full hp motors.
It's possible HF motor might not live up to that, but most of the
cheapness ime is from sleeves vs bearings and other mechanical factors
more than the power consumed/hp. But, I've not put one on a
dynamometer, either, and doubt whoever is doing the bitching has,
either...

The big problem usually is simply one of nameplate bragging a la a the
Craftsman "peak" hp crap...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message oups.com...
On Jul 31, 9:13 pm, "Toller" wrote:
(And please don't get into the calculations of how many amps go into a hp.
For normal motors it is approximately 22a; for expensive high efficiency
motors maybe as low as 16a. It is never 14a, and HF does not use expensive
high efficiency motors; it is probably a tad more than 1hp. And that
assumes it actually draws 14a; an uncertain issue.)

I am selling a canister DC with a real 2hp motor; asking $225. Two people
have offered $200; for that price I will scrap it and save the motor in case
my TS motor ever calls it quits, since the motor alone sells for $300.

Anybody got any links or something where I can research that? I
confess I'm not well-versed in motors as I used to be, but everything
I've ever been taught says if it pulls x amps on y number of volts,
it's using xy watts and therefore xy(cf) horsepower. How is horsepower
measured in this case?

740 Watts to the horsepower

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 31, 9:13 pm, "Toller" wrote:
[...]

That is "input" horsepower; it is like calculating the power of your car
engine by determining the power contained in the gasoline it uses.
It is not a particularly useful number.
Output horsepower is determined by testing the motor and seeing how much
work it can do.

Efficient motors (which are, all other things being equal, much more
expensive than inefficient motors) will have low input hp relative to their
output hp.

HF has either the most efficient 2hp motor on the market, or a crappy 1hp
motor and lying about the hp. Which do you think it is?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
wrote:
On Jul 31, 9:13 pm, "Toller" wrote:
(And please don't get into the calculations of how many amps go into a hp.
For normal motors it is approximately 22a; for expensive high efficiency
motors maybe as low as 16a. It is never 14a, and HF does not use expensive
high efficiency motors; it is probably a tad more than 1hp. And that
assumes it actually draws 14a; an uncertain issue.)

I am selling a canister DC with a real 2hp motor; asking $225. Two people
have offered $200; for that price I will scrap it and save the motor in case
my TS motor ever calls it quits, since the motor alone sells for $300.

Anybody got any links or something where I can research that? I
confess I'm not well-versed in motors as I used to be, but everything
I've ever been taught says if it pulls x amps on y number of volts,
it's using xy watts and therefore xy(cf) horsepower. How is horsepower
measured in this case?

A 'small horsepower' motor is generally no more than 85% efficient, so
'not everything that goes in, comes out'.

In addition "AC electricity" is "funny". "volts" times "amps" is _not_
the same thing as 'watts'. Things change, depending on the 'power factor'
of the circuit -- which describes the phase relationship between voltage
and current flow. The relationship for AC is:
watts = volts * amps * power-factor
A typical motor has a 'power factor' of about 0.67.

Put all that together and you get the following:

1HP output = 746 watts (definition)

= 746 watts / .67 power-factor = 1113.4+ 'volt-amps'

= 1113.4+ volt-amps/.85 efficiency in = 1309.9 volt-amps in

= 1309.9 volt-amps in /120v = 10.916 amps

= 10.916 amp @ 120v input with .67 power-factor, @ 85% efficiency.

That's _awfully_ close to Toller's claimed "11a" per horsepower. grin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 23:56:00 +0100, "Dave Gordon" d@p wrote:

wrote in message oups.com...
On Jul 31, 9:13 pm, "Toller" wrote:
[...]

746 Watts to the horsepower

Recycling NJS UK diy 0 July 29th 07 08:09 PM
Recycling The Medway Handyman UK diy 44 July 24th 07 07:41 PM
Household recycling Chris Home Ownership 37 January 7th 07 02:19 AM
recycling tv's etc. mm Electronics Repair 73 October 23rd 06 05:04 AM
recycling tv's etc. mm Home Repair 73 October 23rd 06 05:04 AM