Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recycling

Went to the local tip today, to chuck all the wine/beer bottles in the
recycling bins. One large steel container with holes in side marked 'clear
glass only', another with 'green glass only' on one side and 'brown glass
only' on the other side.

Difficult enough to decide if a bottle is greeny brown or browny green.

Peeped into one of the holes to find no dividing wall inside the container!

A large mess of mixed bottles!

Why do we bother.............

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nog nog is offline

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:12:01 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Went to the local tip today, to chuck all the wine/beer bottles in the
recycling bins. One large steel container with holes in side marked 'clear
glass only', another with 'green glass only' on one side and 'brown glass
only' on the other side.

Difficult enough to decide if a bottle is greeny brown or browny green.

Peeped into one of the holes to find no dividing wall inside the container!

A large mess of mixed bottles!

Why do we bother.............

In which case, they're all "brown". ;-)

Brown = any
Green = green + clear
Clear = clear only
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 4:20 pm, nog wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:12:01 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Peeped into one of the holes to find no dividing wall inside the container!

A large mess of mixed bottles!

Why do we bother.............

In which case, they're all "brown". ;-)

Brown = any
Green = green + clear
Clear = clear only

Blue = very expensive.

And to bring it back on topic, where can I get one of those sonic
crushers used by Dick Strawbridge to grind glass?

I wouldn't mind having a go at using some in a cement mix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-22 16:12:01 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Went to the local tip today, to chuck all the wine/beer bottles in the
recycling bins. One large steel container with holes in side marked 'clear
glass only', another with 'green glass only' on one side and 'brown glass
only' on the other side.

Difficult enough to decide if a bottle is greeny brown or browny green.

Peeped into one of the holes to find no dividing wall inside the container!

A large mess of mixed bottles!

Why do we bother.............

It's called marketing. They have learned how from the National Lottery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-22 16:12:01 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Went to the local tip today, to chuck all the wine/beer bottles in the
recycling bins. One large steel container with holes in side marked
'clear
glass only', another with 'green glass only' on one side and 'brown glass
only' on the other side.

Difficult enough to decide if a bottle is greeny brown or browny green.

Peeped into one of the holes to find no dividing wall inside the
container!

A large mess of mixed bottles!

Why do we bother.............

It's called marketing. They have learned how from the National Lottery.

I read there's no market for green glass in this country anyway as "we don't
make/ use green bottles" normally. I know I've bought plenty but perhaps
these are imported? The article also mentioned that there is a 250,000
stockpile of green glass in UK that no-one needs, and that lots of our
religiously collected and sorted reject glassware ends up in landfill in any
case as there is no market for it. Perhaps the psychology is the same as
when the steel railings were removed countrywide in WW2, mostly never used
to make guns and tanks, just sitting in rusting piles - they were just
removed to give the general populace a visual reminder that a shower of
skunk crap really was coming in their direction and that they really did
need to do something about it! i.e. supposedly running out of holes in the
ground in the near future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:01:51 +0100 someone who may be "Sidney"
wrote this:-

I read there's no market for green glass in this country anyway as "we don't
make/ use green bottles" normally. I know I've bought plenty but perhaps
these are imported? The article also mentioned that there is a 250,000
stockpile of green glass in UK that no-one needs, and that lots of our
religiously collected and sorted reject glassware ends up in landfill in any
case as there is no market for it.

I read many things, but that doesn't mean they are true.

A few months ago I was at a meeting with the manager of a glass
recycling plant. He said that much glass is now going into building
roads, putting the price up for his operation. As case of unintended
consequences.

He also said that there is something of a glass mountain in SE
England. However, the costs of transporting this to Scotland are too
high for them to make much use of it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-22 16:12:01 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Went to the local tip today, to chuck all the wine/beer bottles in the
recycling bins. One large steel container with holes in side marked
'clear
glass only', another with 'green glass only' on one side and 'brown glass
only' on the other side.

Difficult enough to decide if a bottle is greeny brown or browny green.

Peeped into one of the holes to find no dividing wall inside the
container!

A large mess of mixed bottles!

Why do we bother.............

It's called marketing. They have learned how from the National Lottery.

My glass ends up here
http://www.glassrecycle.co.uk/
My friends and I have filled many recycle bins with bottles and hope to do
so for many years to come but we want to re-use not recycle the glass. Where
is the re-use bottle bank?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote this:-

I read there's no market for green glass in this country anyway as "we
don't
make/ use green bottles" normally. I know I've bought plenty but perhaps
these are imported? The article also mentioned that there is a 250,000
stockpile of green glass in UK that no-one needs, and that lots of our
religiously collected and sorted reject glassware ends up in landfill in
any
case as there is no market for it.

I read many things, but that doesn't mean they are true.

LOL! I was going to ask if he believed everything he read :-)

A few months ago I was at a meeting with the manager of a glass
recycling plant. He said that much glass is now going into building
roads, putting the price up for his operation. As case of unintended
consequences.

He also said that there is something of a glass mountain in SE
England. However, the costs of transporting this to Scotland are too
high for them to make much use of it.

I wonder what that says about SE England ...

Mary

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...

My glass ends up here
http://www.glassrecycle.co.uk/
My friends and I have filled many recycle bins with bottles and hope to do
so for many years to come but we want to re-use not recycle the glass.
Where is the re-use bottle bank?

Adam

Interesting, thanks.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

Seems to me that sticking to into roads is pretty much desperation time and
does not address the problem that the real loss is in the energy taken to
melt and make the bottle and not any salvation by the reclaiming of the
glass. The old deposit system for bottles worked very well and saved the
large amounts of energy for at least some of the bottles. Do you recall the
campaign of years ago by Greenpeace/ Friends of the Earth (or similar
organisation) when Schweppes first started major use of non-returnable
bottles, "Don't let them Sch.....................on Britain". Amazingly
enough most distributors of bottled products do so now with impunity.

The transport costs are,of course, very relevant and must be a prime reason
for all the religiously harvested bottles still ending up in landfill, since
their scrap value is less than the transport costs of moving them to where
they are needed.

As regards the previous correspondents jaundiced view of the written word,
he may care to reflect that virtually all knowledge of complex subjects is
transmitted and absorbed in this way and virtually none via the "monkey see,
monkey do" technique which he seems to prefer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sidney wrote:

Seems to me that sticking to into roads is pretty much desperation time and
does not address the problem that the real loss is in the energy taken to
melt and make the bottle and not any salvation by the reclaiming of the
glass. The old deposit system for bottles worked very well and saved the

How does it compare to the energy needed to transport it back to a point
it can be reused, and to heat the water needed to wash it and sterilise
it to the point it can be used safely again?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nog
writes
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:12:01 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Went to the local tip today, to chuck all the wine/beer bottles in the
recycling bins. One large steel container with holes in side marked 'clear
glass only', another with 'green glass only' on one side and 'brown glass
only' on the other side.

Difficult enough to decide if a bottle is greeny brown or browny green.

Peeped into one of the holes to find no dividing wall inside the container!

A large mess of mixed bottles!

Why do we bother.............

In which case, they're all "brown". ;-)

Brown = any
Green = green + clear
Clear = clear only

And what about blue ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sidney wrote:

The old deposit system for bottles worked very well and saved the
large amounts of energy for at least some of the bottles. Do you recall
the campaign of years ago by Greenpeace/ Friends of the Earth (or similar
organisation) when Schweppes first started major use of non-returnable
bottles, "Don't let them Sch.....................on Britain". Amazingly
enough most distributors of bottled products do so now with impunity.

But in those days just about every town had it's own local pop factory. You
bought your bottle of lemonade from the local shop who got their deliveries
direct from the factory, returning the empties on the delivery lorry was no
problem for them.

Nowadays we have economy of scale and the local supermarket stocks lots of
different brands of fizzy drinks from a variety of distant sources
delivered by less direct means. Sorting and transporting the empties to the
right part of the country isn't economical.

I gather that it's called progress.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

wrote this:-

[...]

Gottle o' geer

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:40:09 +0100 someone who may be Mike Clarke
wrote this:-

Nowadays we have economy of scale and the local supermarket stocks lots of
different brands of fizzy drinks from a variety of distant sources
delivered by less direct means. Sorting and transporting the empties to the
right part of the country isn't economical.

In Germany beer is sold in one bottle. Empties just have to be taken
back to the nearest brewery, washed, filled and have a new label put
on.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Went to the local tip today, to chuck all the wine/beer bottles in the
recycling bins. One large steel container with holes in side marked
'clear glass only', another with 'green glass only' on one side and 'brown
glass only' on the other side.

Difficult enough to decide if a bottle is greeny brown or browny green.

Peeped into one of the holes to find no dividing wall inside the
container!

A large mess of mixed bottles!

Why do we bother.............

I have watched the lorry that empties the clear, green and brown glass
containers one by one. The contents all go into the back of the lorry so
that the different colours are mixed up. Therefore separating the colours
is pointless. The colours aren't separated for door-step collections anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nog nog is offline

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:22:58 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , nog
writes
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:12:01 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Went to the local tip today, to chuck all the wine/beer bottles in the
recycling bins. One large steel container with holes in side marked 'clear
glass only', another with 'green glass only' on one side and 'brown glass
only' on the other side.

Difficult enough to decide if a bottle is greeny brown or browny green.

Peeped into one of the holes to find no dividing wall inside the container!

A large mess of mixed bottles!

Why do we bother.............

In which case, they're all "brown". ;-)

Brown = any
Green = green + clear
Clear = clear only

And what about blue ?

In recycling terms, I suppose brown = any will cover it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:34:12 +0100 someone who may be "Sidney"
wrote this:-

Seems to me that sticking to into roads is pretty much desperation time

It seems to be more an example of official stupidity. There is much
to be said for recycling some materials into road surfaces, the
problem is that they didn't exclude glass from this. As a result
those that re-use glass for bottles are having difficulty getting
glass to use.

The old deposit system for bottles worked very well and saved the
large amounts of energy for at least some of the bottles. Do you recall the
campaign of years ago by Greenpeace/ Friends of the Earth (or similar
organisation) when Schweppes first started major use of non-returnable
bottles, "Don't let them Sch.....................on Britain". Amazingly
enough most distributors of bottled products do so now with impunity.

Friends of the Earth's first big UK action. It was beaten by big
business who said it was nearly impossible to, despite the same
companies doing exactly the same thing in other parts of Europe.
However, the idea that we are right and everyone else is wrong has
only a limited appeal and the campaign is included in other waste
initiatives FoE does.

The transport costs are,of course, very relevant and must be a prime reason
for all the religiously harvested bottles still ending up in landfill, since
their scrap value is less than the transport costs of moving them to where
they are needed.

That depends on the circumstances, which is why I mentioned the SE
England problem.

As regards the previous correspondents jaundiced view of the written word,
he may care to reflect that virtually all knowledge of complex subjects is
transmitted and absorbed in this way

I entirely agree. However, that doesn't mean that everything which
is written down is correct and should be blindly accepted.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:07:22 GMT someone who may be "ARWadsworth"
wrote this:-

My friends and I have filled many recycle bins with bottles and hope to do
so for many years to come but we want to re-use not recycle the glass. Where
is the re-use bottle bank?

Just about everywhere else in Europe you would pop the bottles back
to the shop, but apparently what works elsewhere will not work here.

http://www.tomra.no/default.asp?V_ITEM_ID=10 are a large supplier of
such things, look under reverse vending systems, but they have found
it very difficult to do much in the UK.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:22:02 UTC, David Hansen
wrote:

I entirely agree. However, that doesn't mean that everything which
is written down is correct and should be blindly accepted.

Including (and perhaps especially) FoE propaganda....

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jul 2007 07:47:49 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager"
wrote this:-

I entirely agree. However, that doesn't mean that everything which
is written down is correct and should be blindly accepted.

Including (and perhaps especially) FoE propaganda....

As you should be able to work out from my posting, I don't blindly
accept anything. That includes FoE "propaganda".

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

In Germany beer is sold in one bottle. Empties just have to be taken
back to the nearest brewery, washed, filled and have a new label put
on.

Trouble is we have far too many different styles of bottles here, sorting
hem all out and distributing to the right places would be much too
expensive.

Same with jam jars. When I were a lad there were only 2 sorts of jam jar,
1lb and 2lb. They were all the same shape and various organisations like
the Scouts used to collect empties and get money by sending them back to
the jam factories. Now they're all sorts of shapes and nobody wants them
back.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
David Hansen wrote:

In Germany beer is sold in one bottle. Empties just have to be taken
back to the nearest brewery, washed, filled and have a new label put
on.

Trouble is we have far too many different styles of bottles here, sorting
hem all out and distributing to the right places would be much too
expensive.

Same with jam jars. When I were a lad there were only 2 sorts of jam jar,
1lb and 2lb. They were all the same shape and various organisations like
the Scouts used to collect empties and get money by sending them back to
the jam factories. Now they're all sorts of shapes and nobody wants them
back.

Quite.

They would ,however, make, when crushed and mixed with a little sand and
cement, excellent flood barriers ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
David Hansen wrote:

In Germany beer is sold in one bottle. Empties just have to be taken
back to the nearest brewery, washed, filled and have a new label put
on.

Trouble is we have far too many different styles of bottles here, sorting
hem all out and distributing to the right places would be much too
expensive.

Same with jam jars. When I were a lad there were only 2 sorts of jam jar,
1lb and 2lb. They were all the same shape and various organisations like
the Scouts used to collect empties and get money by sending them back to
the jam factories. Now they're all sorts of shapes

Some of which make it impossible to get all the jam out

and nobody wants them
back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:50:20 +0100 someone who may be Mike Clarke
wrote this:-

In Germany beer is sold in one bottle. Empties just have to be taken
back to the nearest brewery, washed, filled and have a new label put
on.

Trouble is we have far too many different styles of bottles here, sorting
hem all out and distributing to the right places would be much too
expensive.

No problem. Government simply decrees that all beer will be sold in
one bottle.

Incidentally at the same meeting as the glass man there was a man
from a brewery. He thought that a standard bottle would be an
excellent idea, though thought that his marketing colleagues might
not think the same way.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
David Hansen wrote:

Same with jam jars. When I were a lad there were only 2 sorts of jam jar,
1lb and 2lb. They were all the same shape and various organisations like
the Scouts used to collect empties and get money by sending them back to
the jam factories. Now they're all sorts of shapes and nobody wants them
back.

When was that?

In the forties, when I were a lad, we had 1 and 2lb jars but also fancy
Rose's marmalade and various honey jars as well as peanut butter jars -
there must have been more.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:50:20 +0100, Mike Clarke
wrote:

David Hansen wrote:

In Germany beer is sold in one bottle. Empties just have to be taken
back to the nearest brewery, washed, filled and have a new label put
on.

Trouble is we have far too many different styles of bottles here, sorting
hem all out and distributing to the right places would be much too
expensive.

Another trouble is that whereas off-licences may be prepared to
recycle bottles, most bottles are bought from 'super'markets, who
aren't at all geared up via their supply chain to do the same.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
news
Another trouble is that whereas off-licences may be prepared to
recycle bottles, most bottles are bought from 'super'markets, who
aren't at all geared up via their supply chain to do the same.

They probably really don't want to. However that doesn't mean it's not
possible - see eg Norway, Austria. Probably requires leglislation.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:53:25 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
news
Another trouble is that whereas off-licences may be prepared to
recycle bottles, most bottles are bought from 'super'markets, who
aren't at all geared up via their supply chain to do the same.

They probably really don't want to. However that doesn't mean it's not
possible - see eg Norway, Austria. Probably requires leglislation.

No no no - not *more* legislation purleez...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:31:56 UTC, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Mike Clarke wrote:
David Hansen wrote:

In Germany beer is sold in one bottle. Empties just have to be taken
back to the nearest brewery, washed, filled and have a new label put
on.

Trouble is we have far too many different styles of bottles here, sorting
hem all out and distributing to the right places would be much too
expensive.

Same with jam jars. When I were a lad there were only 2 sorts of jam jar,
1lb and 2lb. They were all the same shape and various organisations like
the Scouts used to collect empties and get money by sending them back to
the jam factories. Now they're all sorts of shapes

Some of which make it impossible to get all the jam out

Think *that's* a problem? Try a Marmite jar...

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jul, 14:06, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

In the forties, when I were a lad

I didn't realise your surgery had been quite that drastic Mary!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

When was that?

In the forties, when I were a lad, we had 1 and 2lb jars but also fancy
Rose's marmalade and various honey jars as well as peanut butter jars -
there must have been more.

Twas in the 50's. We couldn't afford posh Rose's stuff or honey in them
days, all the ordinary jam came in the same sort of plain jam jars.

Yes, peanut butter was a different matter.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:31:56 UTC, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Mike Clarke wrote:

[snip]

Same with jam jars. When I were a lad there were only 2 sorts of jam
jar, 1lb and 2lb. They were all the same shape and various
organisations like the Scouts used to collect empties and get money by
sending them back to the jam factories. Now they're all sorts of shapes

Some of which make it impossible to get all the jam out

Which, no doubt, the marketing people regard as a Good Thing. If you can't
get it all out you break into the new jar sooner and they sell more jam.

Think *that's* a problem? Try a Marmite jar...

No problem, when the Marmite jar reaches that state it waits in the
kitchen 'til the next batch of soup is made. Swill it out with boiling
water and add to the stock.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
news
Another trouble is that whereas off-licences may be prepared to
recycle bottles, most bottles are bought from 'super'markets, who
aren't at all geared up via their supply chain to do the same.

They probably really don't want to. However that doesn't mean it's not
possible - see eg Norway, Austria. Probably requires leglislation.

No no no - not *more* legislation purleez...

Ah, yes, that would be part B2 of the shopping regs (as ammended in Aug
2009). You will only be allowed to buy glass jars if you can demonstrate
you are a member of JARFI or have undertaken a government approved
training course in jar scraping and swilling. (Oh and paid the correct
bi-annual subscription of course, which must be linked into the national
ID register and, due to an EDS cockup with the IT system, the new new
version of the child protection agency record system). Although if you
manage to buy one without being correctly registered there will be a
regularisation procedure that you can follow by writing to your local
council "glass container and sexual aids control department" with the
relevant forms filled, and a postal order for £16.27 +VAT +council tax
surcharge duty. They will then contact you to book and inspection of
your spatula.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 23 Jul, 14:06, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

In the forties, when I were a lad

I didn't realise your surgery had been quite that drastic Mary!

You live and learn!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

When was that?

In the forties, when I were a lad, we had 1 and 2lb jars but also fancy
Rose's marmalade and various honey jars as well as peanut butter jars -
there must have been more.

Twas in the 50's. We couldn't afford posh Rose's stuff or honey in them
days, all the ordinary jam came in the same sort of plain jam jars.

I was talking about the 1940s.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nog
writes
[...]

Can you imagine the mental turmoil it would cause a German ?

Paging Thomas ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David Hansen
writes
wrote this:-

Nowadays we have economy of scale and the local supermarket stocks lots of
different brands of fizzy drinks from a variety of distant sources
delivered by less direct means. Sorting and transporting the empties to the
right part of the country isn't economical.

In Germany beer is sold in one bottle. Empties just have to be taken
back to the nearest brewery, washed, filled and have a new label put
on.

Sorry, that has never been, nor is, true

They used to have a really good stubby 1/2 litre bottle (which is, I
presume what you're on about) but it was by no means universal - Kolsch
or real Budweiser for example

They now have a DIN std 1/2l bottle with a longer neck, nothing like as
good and by no means universally used

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David Hansen
writes
wrote this:-

In Germany beer is sold in one bottle. Empties just have to be taken
back to the nearest brewery, washed, filled and have a new label put
on.

Trouble is we have far too many different styles of bottles here, sorting
hem all out and distributing to the right places would be much too
expensive.

No problem. Government simply decrees that all beer will be sold in
one bottle.

And would simply be told to **** off, as "Our bottle has to stand out
from the rest"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
news
Another trouble is that whereas off-licences may be prepared to
recycle bottles, most bottles are bought from 'super'markets, who
aren't at all geared up via their supply chain to do the same.

They probably really don't want to. However that doesn't mean it's not
possible - see eg Norway, Austria. Probably requires leglislation.

No no no - not *more* legislation purleez...

Yes, but a sensible deposit could be imposed on glass bottles

--
geoff

Household recycling Chris Home Ownership 37 January 7th 07 02:19 AM
recycling tv's etc. mm Electronics Repair 73 October 23rd 06 05:04 AM
recycling tv's etc. mm Home Repair 73 October 23rd 06 05:04 AM
recycling old keys mogga UK diy 17 November 30th 04 09:21 AM
Recycling - how do others cope? mich UK diy 83 November 18th 03 09:54 AM