mogga

Default recycling old keys

Did I dream it or have I really seen a key recycling container
somewhere...?

--
Chav Freebies
http://www.chavfreebies.co.uk
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
mogga wrote:
Did I dream it or have I really seen a key recycling container
somewhere...?

The metal recycling skip at your local tip? For steel ones, certainly.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Stefek Zaba

mogga wrote:
Did I dream it or have I really seen a key recycling container
somewhere...?

Well, there's this round building with an 'ole in the middle somewhere
near a racecourse and whose nearest city centre is full of faded-glory
Regency architecture which is always happy to receive old keys,
specially if they've been used to protect anything interesting ;-)
Broadback

Stefek Zaba wrote:

mogga wrote:

Did I dream it or have I really seen a key recycling container
somewhere...?

Well, there's this round building with an 'ole in the middle somewhere
near a racecourse and whose nearest city centre is full of faded-glory
Regency architecture which is always happy to receive old keys,
specially if they've been used to protect anything interesting ;-)

Reminds me of Blue Peter, one year they appealed for old keys (they are
mainly brass, or were then). Worked a treat, problem was the kids were
filching all their parents keys, caused some mayhem! :-)
Andy Burns

mogga wrote:

Did I dream it or have I really seen a key recycling container
somewhere...?

Did it have instructions to attach an address label to each key so they
can write to "thank" you?

Graham Anstey

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:18:12 +0000, mogga
wrote:

Did I dream it or have I really seen a key recycling container
somewhere...?

Yes, eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...8890 581&rd=1

Any views expressed are not necessarily those of my employer
jacob

Old keys are highly sort after by joiners,antique restorers and of
course locksmiths. We accumulate old locks and other fittings but the
keys are always missing. Boxes of old keys at auctions often get good
money. Don't throw them away!

cheers

Jacob
mogga

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:10:02 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

mogga wrote:

Did I dream it or have I really seen a key recycling container
somewhere...?

Did it have instructions to attach an address label to each key so they
can write to "thank" you?

Nah, I have this vague memory of somewhere like a keycutters having a
box in...

I do have some oldish ones and I'm loath to just bin them...

--
Chav Freebies
http://www.chavfreebies.co.uk
Free stuff for chavs,Cos you're worth it.
Bill Bonde ( ``And the Lamb lies down on Broadway'

PaPaPeng wrote:

On 26 Nov 2004 18:16:05 -0800, (N. Thornton) wrote:

Cutting your own keys is simple and quick if you have an angle
grinder. I imagine at least some unwanted keys could be trimmed down
to fit existing locks - never tried it though. Definitely something
for the frugal folk.

There is a special metal bevelled key cutter wheel you will have to
get. The cut notch angle is standard for keys. An angle grinder
wheel had a thick rounded rim for safety (won't shatter that easily)
and is not fine enough to cut keys. Do it the primitive way. Use the
vise to clamp the blank, aka the one to be recycled, side by side with
the key to be duplicated. Then use a triangle file to file down the
excesss material.

I've done this. I didn't have a key so I had to pick the lock and then
take it apart to look at the top of the pins and then file down until
they were even. The big problem is getting the blanks. Apparently they
aren't supposed to sell them to you uncut, I don't know what they are
worried about. I've heard you can fill in the grooves with a brazing
torch on used keys that are correct for your lock.

Also, I've seen people who cut one side of the key for one of their cars
and the other for the other. I expect this doesn't work on locks that
have two sets of pins, but otherwise should work for cars with keys that
work when put in either way.

--
I heard Clinton buried a time capsule at his new presidential library
sized like an overseas shipping container filled with stuff he didn't

George

"Joel M. Eichen" wrote in message

Cool. Whenever I get keys cut from new blanks, they rarely work!

Joel

The answer for that is to go to a different place to get them cut. The
cutting machine is just a basic lathe and there is no reason for that if
they care and keep it calibrated. The worst keys I ever got were from the
local wally. They were off by .040" and would not work at all.

veteran

In article ,
PaPaPeng wrote:

Cutting your own keys is simple and quick if you have an angle
grinder. I imagine at least some unwanted keys could be trimmed down
to fit existing locks - never tried it though. Definitely something
for the frugal folk.

I attack from the other direction. I buy only Qwik-set locks. usually
at yard sales. they enable you to set the lock to use the existing
keys you have. I was a landlord at the time and had to change locks
of the rentals, once and a while.
Everybody have a great new year!
Patriotism is supporting your country all
the time and the government when it deserves it.
-Mark Twain

In uk.d-i-y veteran wrote:

I attack from the other direction. I buy only Qwik-set locks. usually
at yard sales. they enable you to set the lock to use the existing
keys you have. I was a landlord at the time and had to change locks
of the rentals, once and a while.

"once and a while." ???

--
Chris Green