Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Recycling gone mad

Some may have noticed that I am trying to find a couple of knobs, one for a
cooker the other for a fan heater.

Doing our bit for recycling down at the local tip, my Lady Wife noticed that
there were some cookers there for recycling.

Being an open and honest sort, she asked if she could take a knob off one of
the cookers.

"Sorry", she was told, "nothing allowed off site".

Which makes a mockery of recycling, but is presumably an edict to stop
people justifying nicking stuff with the connivance of the staff.

Moral - next time I shall shout "Gordon Bennet - that seagull is more like a
vulture" or something equally stupid to distract these guardians of the
unwanted whilst herself helps herself.
Or we may send in an undercover snatch squad :-)

I am assuming, of course, that there is no monetary value in the plastic
knobs on scrap cookers.

Sigh - a few years back you were allowed to take or buy useful bits that
others had thrown away.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
Some may have noticed that I am trying to find a couple of knobs,

You are looking in the right place.

We have dennis and drivel.

Or are they the wrong sort of knobs?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/02/2012 18:32, David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I agree there is so much odd bits I could use from the recycle tip.
I believe they sell on the stuff to whoever for recycling. In my area
all the broken bikes are sold to a cycle shop as a job lot, refurbished
and the shop then sells them. I put a lot of stuff on gumtree now so
that someone can get the chance to use it before I take to the tip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively
encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash.
I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number
of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
[...]

Health and safety, are you sure the knob your wife wanted was going to
be safe and not possibly a faulty knob that could cause untold harm?
You can never be too careful with the knobs down at the council tips.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively
encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash.
I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number
of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob

Brilliant, I like it, which part of the country?

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , Bob Minchin
writes

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively
encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash.
I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number
of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob

Brilliant, I like it, which part of the country?

Hampshire. Our sites are run by Hopkins
http://www.hopkinsrecycling.co.uk/

I wanted a 'calor' gas cylinder to use as an air receiver.
They wanted a tenner but said I only had £4 in cash which seemed to be
acceptable and was trousered in milliseconds.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , David WE Roberts
writes
[...]

It is the knobs in the council offices you need to beware of!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

[...]

No, it's just your tip being jobsworth *******s.

My local tip not only allow you to aquire stuff, they even have a stall
selling (for a quid) a variety of serviceable items - and the bloke will
even help you with it into the car if your a lady or infirm!

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr & Mrs Bennet-that-seagull-is-more-like-a-vulture, and their son...
"Gordon Bennet - that seagull is more like a vulture" or something

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
Mr & Mrs Bennet-that-seagull-is-more-like-a-vulture, and their son...
"Gordon Bennet - that seagull is more like a vulture" or something

JGH

Some more late arrivals at the Waste Recyclers Ball?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Ours used to be like that a few contracts back but they keep replacing the
contractors and the current lot just don't pass stufff on.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

My local tip not only allow you to aquire stuff, they even have a stall
selling (for a quid) a variety of serviceable items - and the bloke will
even help you with it into the car if your a lady or infirm!

Sounds like Mountfield

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

My local tip not only allow you to aquire stuff, they even have a stall
selling (for a quid) a variety of serviceable items - and the bloke will
even help you with it into the car if your a lady or infirm!

Sounds like Mountfield

-

Yep. You local too?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

Health and safety, are you sure the knob your wife wanted was going to
be safe and not possibly a faulty knob that could cause untold harm? You
can never be too careful with the knobs down at the council tips.

You don't want your wife to come into contact with an insanitary knob do
you? The best thing is to dip your knob in boiling water.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think you can still buy, but there are some rules. Pity there is no such
thing as an appliance breakers yard, mind you those are a dead bread now as
the money to be made means no more allowing public to have a look, the staff
take the good bits and flog them at very high prices.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Not allowed any more here.

Something to do with privatising them or something.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 7:47*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message , Bob Minchin
writes

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively
encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash.
I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number
of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob

Brilliant, I like it, which part of the country?

Hampshire. Our sites are run by Hopkinshttp://www.hopkinsrecycling.co.uk/

I wanted a 'calor' gas cylinder to use as an air receiver.
They wanted a tenner but said I only had £4 in cash which seemed to be
acceptable and was trousered in milliseconds.

Bob

Used to happen here in Warwickshire until the council took control of
the site again recently.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
On Feb 11, 7:47 pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message , Bob Minchin
writes

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively
encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash.
I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number
of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob

Brilliant, I like it, which part of the country?

Hampshire. Our sites are run by Hopkinshttp://www.hopkinsrecycling.co.uk/

I wanted a 'calor' gas cylinder to use as an air receiver.
They wanted a tenner but said I only had £4 in cash which seemed to be
acceptable and was trousered in milliseconds.

Bob

*Used to happen here in Warwickshire until the council took control of
*the site again recently.

*Jonathan

I think I am sensing a common theme here.
Service being made less user friendly.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
Hampshire. Our sites are run by Hopkinshttp://www.hopkinsrecycling.co.uk/

I wanted a 'calor' gas cylinder to use as an air receiver.
They wanted a tenner but said I only had £4 in cash which seemed to be
acceptable and was trousered in milliseconds.

Bob

*Used to happen here in Warwickshire until the council took control of
*the site again recently.

*Jonathan

I think I am sensing a common theme here.
Service being made less user friendly.

Not quite the same, but similar. There was a lot of talk when our local
council installed CCTV at the tidy tips. Was it for safety reasons,
evidence if there were any accidents, or was it to keep an eye on the
staff?

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/N...r-motives-for-
tidy-tip-flat-screen-TV-sacking-26112011.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6ofo5c6

Certainly some years ago you could pick stuff up that had been dropped
off there with no questions asked. Now it is almost run as a military
operation.

Another local gripe is "commercial waste" A friend of mine who has a
sign written company van that he keeps 24/7 used it to drop off his old
kitchen cabinets. He was refused access and told to get written
permission, lots of paperwork, because it could be commercial waste.
The fact he worked for an electrical supply company didn't matter.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another local gripe is "commercial waste" A friend of mine who has a
sign written company van that he keeps 24/7 used it to drop off his old
kitchen cabinets.

The attitude to chipboard needs sorting out at our local tip. It ain't
"wood", and it apparently ain't "household" either. I knock them apart
and put the panels in a bin liner, whereupon it becomes household.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:14:54 +0000, Bill
wrote:

Another local gripe is "commercial waste" A friend of mine who has a
sign written company van that he keeps 24/7 used it to drop off his old
kitchen cabinets. He was refused access and told to get written
permission, lots of paperwork, because it could be commercial waste.
The fact he worked for an electrical supply company didn't matter.

Like another OP in this thread I'm in Hampshire. The County Council
issue permits for people in who may be in that situation. Strictly
speaking the rules say it should only apply if it is the only vehicle
available for the driver to use but I don't know if that is per
household or by keeper. When I applied "our" car was in the missus
name. The large van was registered to the company I worked for but I
was permitted to use it privately ,was even equipped with side windows
and a 2nd row of removable seats which made it quite a versatile
vehicle.
The permit allowed so many visits per year and the site contractor had
to see the permit and checked that the waste was domestically produced
and not related to the business the van was normally used for.
Only used it twice,the contractor as mentioned before was Hopkins who
were fairly quick to intercept when they saw a Van enter but just as
quick to wave us on once they were shown the permit and a quick glance
that the rubbish was completely different to the work supplies in the
van.
Seems to be a reasonable way to do things.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , David WE Roberts
writes
[...]

Not just me then?

When I helped my brother swap all the radiators at his house the council
employee tried to stop me dropping the old radiators off as he thought I was
a plumber. I have never been so insulted in all my life.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2012 18:58, ARWadsworth wrote:

When I helped my brother swap all the radiators at his house the council
employee tried to stop me dropping the old radiators off as he thought I was
a plumber. I have never been so insulted in all my life.

Which the council then sell on for scrap. They should have been pleased,
but then I suppose they can't turn down more problematic stuff like
asbestos sheets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2012 16:14, Bill wrote:

Another local gripe is "commercial waste" A friend of mine who has a
sign written company van that he keeps 24/7 used it to drop off his old
kitchen cabinets. He was refused access and told to get written
permission, lots of paperwork, because it could be commercial waste. The
fact he worked for an electrical supply company didn't matter.

My brother hired a van from a London (Toyota?) dealer over one Christmas
since it worked out cheaper than a car to go and visit all the relatives
up north. Probably a demonstrator since it had their advert plastered on
the sides. We got him to take a couple of 1950s armchairs to the council
dump. Blatantly not a business vehicle since it was full of luggage,
pressies, etc as well as 2 old chairs. The droids apparently took my
name and address which he gave to them, and they "didn't want to see the
van again without a permit".

Even better was a plan of 1 of the 2 neighbouring councils who both run
such operations to want to administer a permit scheme for all their
households, to spite those who live just on the other side but nearer to
the other council's dump. In these straightened times it seemed like a
fly-tipper's charter. Haven't heard any more via the local rag so maybe
someone saw sense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
In message , David WE Roberts
writes
[...]

Land Rover Defender Hard Top - commercial vehicle
Land Rover Defender CSW - estate car.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Part Timer
writes
On 12/02/2012 18:58, ARWadsworth wrote:

When I helped my brother swap all the radiators at his house the council
employee tried to stop me dropping the old radiators off as he thought I was
a plumber. I have never been so insulted in all my life.

Which the council then sell on for scrap. They should have been
pleased, but then I suppose they can't turn down more problematic stuff
like asbestos sheets.

Sign at our local tip a while back
"We do not except batteries and tyres" (sic)
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

When I helped my brother swap all the radiators at his house the council
employee tried to stop me dropping the old radiators off as he thought I was
a plumber. I have never been so insulted in all my life.

Worse than that when I took some domestic rubbish in my work van they
assumed I was an aerial installer!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Part Timer wrote:
On 12/02/2012 18:58, ARWadsworth wrote:

When I helped my brother swap all the radiators at his house the council
employee tried to stop me dropping the old radiators off as he thought
I was
a plumber. I have never been so insulted in all my life.

Which the council then sell on for scrap. They should have been pleased,
but then I suppose they can't turn down more problematic stuff like
asbestos sheets.

I had some small offcuts of alloy sheet so I put them in the recycling
with the cans. The operative removed them and left them on the lawn.
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Part Timer wrote:
On 12/02/2012 18:58, ARWadsworth wrote:

When I helped my brother swap all the radiators at his house the
council employee tried to stop me dropping the old radiators off
as he thought I was
a plumber. I have never been so insulted in all my life.

Which the council then sell on for scrap. They should have been
pleased, but then I suppose they can't turn down more problematic
stuff like asbestos sheets.

I had some small offcuts of alloy sheet so I put them in the recycling
with the cans. The operative removed them and left them on the lawn.

They do have job to do....

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Another local gripe is "commercial waste" A friend of mine who has a
sign written company van that he keeps 24/7 used it to drop off his old
kitchen cabinets. He was refused access and told to get written
permission, lots of paperwork, because it could be commercial waste.
The fact he worked for an electrical supply company didn't matter.

Like another OP in this thread I'm in Hampshire. The County Council
issue permits for people in who may be in that situation.

The last bunch of jobsworths at my local tip insisted I get a permit for my
40 year old rag top Land Rover because it was a "commercial vehicle" it was
free and not much hassle to get but the staff changed and they have never
asked to see it!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:41:41 +0000, Part Timer wrote:

but then I suppose they can't turn down more problematic stuff like
asbestos sheets.

Our lot have just launched a consulatation on closing several HWRC's
and introducing a charge for the disposal of soil, rubble, asbestos,
plasterboard and car
tyres.

http://www.opinionsuite.com/cumbria/...il/environment
/hwrc

Charge for those things? Stuff that I'll just cut 'em up into
smallish bits put them in the blue bag for collection by the ordinary
weekly collection. The nearest Cumbrian HWRC is 22 miles away, The
actual nearest one is Northumberlands at Allendale about 16 miles
away. I have to justify the trip by either havinga car and trailer
full or by combining it with another trip for something else.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:41:41 +0000, Part Timer wrote:

but then I suppose they can't turn down more problematic stuff like
asbestos sheets.

Our lot have just launched a consulatation on closing several HWRC's
and introducing a charge for the disposal of soil, rubble, asbestos,
plasterboard and car
tyres.

I take it they'll be reducing your council tax to match?

Thought not. I wonder how much they will then spend on clearing up the
flytipping that is guaranteed to result.

Feck, how to councils employ such thick ****s? Is there a special vocational
path in schools? "Are you a bit of a thick **** - but enjoy being part of a
team: come work for a council!"

http://www.opinionsuite.com/cumbria/...il/environment
/hwrc

Charge for those things? Stuff that I'll just cut 'em up into
smallish bits put them in the blue bag for collection by the ordinary
weekly collection. The nearest Cumbrian HWRC is 22 miles away, The
actual nearest one is Northumberlands at Allendale about 16 miles
away. I have to justify the trip by either havinga car and trailer
full or by combining it with another trip for something else.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:41:41 +0000, Part Timer wrote:

but then I suppose they can't turn down more problematic stuff like
asbestos sheets.

Our lot have just launched a consulatation on closing several HWRC's
and introducing a charge for the disposal of soil, rubble, asbestos,
plasterboard and car
tyres.

I take it they'll be reducing your council tax to match?

Thought not. I wonder how much they will then spend on clearing up the
flytipping that is guaranteed to result.

Feck, how to councils employ such thick ****s? Is there a special
vocational
path in schools? "Are you a bit of a thick **** - but enjoy being part of
team: come work for a council!"

You say this in bitter jest, but unfortunately this is an approximate
summary of the recruiting policy for most local authorities.
Anyone who is competent can get more money doing a similar job in the
private sector.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

I wasn't jesting ;-o

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:36:46 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Our lot have just launched a consulatation on closing several

HWRC's
and introducing a charge for the disposal of soil, rubble,

asbestos,
plasterboard and car tyres.

I take it they'll be reducing your council tax to match?

Thought not.

Of course not it's all part of the money saving they have to do to
stay within budget.

I wonder how much they will then spend on clearing up the flytipping
that is guaranteed to result.

Or the extra landfill tax for the stuff going into blue bags that
would have gone to the HWRC.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:41:41 +0000, Part Timer wrote:

but then I suppose they can't turn down more problematic stuff like
asbestos sheets.

Our lot have just launched a consulatation on closing several HWRC's
and introducing a charge for the disposal of soil, rubble, asbestos,
plasterboard and car
tyres.

People will just flytip.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-02-13, Bill Wright wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:41:41 +0000, Part Timer wrote:

but then I suppose they can't turn down more problematic stuff like
asbestos sheets.
Our lot have just launched a consulatation on closing several HWRC's
and introducing a charge for the disposal of soil, rubble, asbestos,
plasterboard and car
tyres.

People will just flytip.

... even more.

Which, if on the public highway, the council have to pay to clear up.

Costing more than accepting it at the HWRC in the first place.

But it all makes work for the working man to do....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyeMFSzPgGc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:41:41 +0000, Part Timer wrote:

but then I suppose they can't turn down more problematic stuff like
asbestos sheets.

Our lot have just launched a consulatation on closing several HWRC's
and introducing a charge for the disposal of soil, rubble, asbestos,
plasterboard and car
tyres.

People will just flytip.

Bill

I would really like to know if anyone has done any research into the
amount of flytipping versus the easy of use of council tips. Then
worked out what is more cost effective, awkward tips or tidying up the
tipping. Probably comes out of two different budgets and so neither will
care about the other.

There will of course be those that can't be bothered and just fly
anyway, but there are also those at the moment that do it because the
restrictions are too great. If I'd loaded a van full of kitchen
cabinets and then been turned away to go and get a permit that takes a
week to arrive, free or not, I would have been tempted. Not that I ever
have, infact in my youth I used to get my father to drive around the
lanes with me and I'd pick up dumped TVs, A great source of parts.
Scared the heck out of my mother, I had an old Bush chassis in my
bedroom for years, no case, just lots of HT and EHT floating around,
great TV :-)

--
Bill
( A different one )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:10:29 +0000, Bill wrote:

Our lot have just launched a consulatation on closing several

HWRC's
and introducing a charge for the disposal of soil, rubble,

asbestos,
plasterboard and car
tyres.

People will just flytip.

I would really like to know if anyone has done any research into the
amount of flytipping versus the easy of use of council tips.

Those that flytip will flytip regardless. Personally I think it's
easier to break stuff up and bung it in a bag for the regular
collection to take away(*). Rather than load it up, use fuel driving
it somewhere, unloading and driving back.

(*) At least two sofa's have left here in that manner. Decent bits of
timber being used as fire wood (not that there is much decent timber
in most sofas).

Then worked out what is more cost effective, awkward tips or tidying up
the tipping. Probably comes out of two different budgets and so neither
will care about the other.

It will all be the "enviroment" budget but might be different bits of
the enviroment department.

--
Cheers
Dave.

recycling Kevin Woodturning 25 August 13th 10 03:42 AM
Recycling Gone Too Far The Daring Dufas[_6_] Home Repair 1 April 11th 10 10:34 PM
Recycling Gone Mad ARWadsworth UK diy 18 February 14th 10 08:42 PM
Recycling a DC? Wade Lippman Woodworking 18 August 4th 07 04:47 PM
Recycling The Medway Handyman UK diy 44 July 24th 07 07:41 PM