Posted to uk.d-i-y
Part Timer Part Timer is offline

Default OT - Recycling gone mad

On 12/02/2012 16:14, Bill wrote:

Another local gripe is "commercial waste" A friend of mine who has a
sign written company van that he keeps 24/7 used it to drop off his old
kitchen cabinets. He was refused access and told to get written
permission, lots of paperwork, because it could be commercial waste. The
fact he worked for an electrical supply company didn't matter.

My brother hired a van from a London (Toyota?) dealer over one Christmas
since it worked out cheaper than a car to go and visit all the relatives
up north. Probably a demonstrator since it had their advert plastered on
the sides. We got him to take a couple of 1950s armchairs to the council
dump. Blatantly not a business vehicle since it was full of luggage,
pressies, etc as well as 2 old chairs. The droids apparently took my
name and address which he gave to them, and they "didn't want to see the
van again without a permit".

Even better was a plan of 1 of the 2 neighbouring councils who both run
such operations to want to administer a permit scheme for all their
households, to spite those who live just on the other side but nearer to
the other council's dump. In these straightened times it seemed like a
fly-tipper's charter. Haven't heard any more via the local rag so maybe
someone saw sense.