Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default OT - Recycling gone mad

I think you can still buy, but there are some rules. Pity there is no such
thing as an appliance breakers yard, mind you those are a dead bread now as
the money to be made means no more allowing public to have a look, the staff
take the good bits and flog them at very high prices.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Some may have noticed that I am trying to find a couple of knobs, one for
a cooker the other for a fan heater.

Doing our bit for recycling down at the local tip, my Lady Wife noticed
that there were some cookers there for recycling.

Being an open and honest sort, she asked if she could take a knob off one
of the cookers.

"Sorry", she was told, "nothing allowed off site".

Which makes a mockery of recycling, but is presumably an edict to stop
people justifying nicking stuff with the connivance of the staff.

Moral - next time I shall shout "Gordon Bennet - that seagull is more like
a vulture" or something equally stupid to distract these guardians of the
unwanted whilst herself helps herself.
Or we may send in an undercover snatch squad :-)

I am assuming, of course, that there is no monetary value in the plastic
knobs on scrap cookers.

Sigh - a few years back you were allowed to take or buy useful bits that
others had thrown away.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]