Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Recycling gone mad

Some may have noticed that I am trying to find a couple of knobs, one for a
cooker the other for a fan heater.

Doing our bit for recycling down at the local tip, my Lady Wife noticed that
there were some cookers there for recycling.

Being an open and honest sort, she asked if she could take a knob off one of
the cookers.

"Sorry", she was told, "nothing allowed off site".

Which makes a mockery of recycling, but is presumably an edict to stop
people justifying nicking stuff with the connivance of the staff.

Moral - next time I shall shout "Gordon Bennet - that seagull is more like a
vulture" or something equally stupid to distract these guardians of the
unwanted whilst herself helps herself.
Or we may send in an undercover snatch squad :-)

I am assuming, of course, that there is no monetary value in the plastic
knobs on scrap cookers.

Sigh - a few years back you were allowed to take or buy useful bits that
others had thrown away.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
Some may have noticed that I am trying to find a couple of knobs,

You are looking in the right place.

We have dennis and drivel.

Or are they the wrong sort of knobs?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 6:37*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
Some may have noticed that I am trying to find a couple of knobs,

You are looking in the right place.

We have dennis and drivel.

Or are they the wrong sort of knobs?

How can they be the wrong sort of knobs?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/02/2012 18:32, David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I agree there is so much odd bits I could use from the recycle tip.
I believe they sell on the stuff to whoever for recycling. In my area
all the broken bikes are sold to a cycle shop as a job lot, refurbished
and the shop then sells them. I put a lot of stuff on gumtree now so
that someone can get the chance to use it before I take to the tip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively
encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash.
I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number
of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively
encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash.
I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number
of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob

Brilliant, I like it, which part of the country?

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , Bob Minchin
writes

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively
encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash.
I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number
of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob

Brilliant, I like it, which part of the country?

Hampshire. Our sites are run by Hopkins
http://www.hopkinsrecycling.co.uk/

I wanted a 'calor' gas cylinder to use as an air receiver.
They wanted a tenner but said I only had £4 in cash which seemed to be
acceptable and was trousered in milliseconds.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 7:47*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message , Bob Minchin
writes

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively
encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash.
I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number
of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob

Brilliant, I like it, which part of the country?

Hampshire. Our sites are run by Hopkinshttp://www.hopkinsrecycling.co.uk/

I wanted a 'calor' gas cylinder to use as an air receiver.
They wanted a tenner but said I only had £4 in cash which seemed to be
acceptable and was trousered in milliseconds.

Bob

Used to happen here in Warwickshire until the council took control of
the site again recently.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message
On Feb 11, 7:47 pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message , Bob Minchin
writes

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively
encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash.
I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number
of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob

Brilliant, I like it, which part of the country?

Hampshire. Our sites are run by Hopkinshttp://www.hopkinsrecycling.co.uk/

I wanted a 'calor' gas cylinder to use as an air receiver.
They wanted a tenner but said I only had £4 in cash which seemed to be
acceptable and was trousered in milliseconds.

Bob

*Used to happen here in Warwickshire until the council took control of
*the site again recently.

*Jonathan

I think I am sensing a common theme here.
Service being made less user friendly.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 7:47*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message , Bob Minchin
writes

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively
encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash.
I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number
of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob

Brilliant, I like it, which part of the country?

Hampshire. Our sites are run by Hopkinshttp://www.hopkinsrecycling.co.uk/

I wanted a 'calor' gas cylinder to use as an air receiver.
They wanted a tenner but said I only had £4 in cash which seemed to be
acceptable and was trousered in milliseconds.

Bob

well it's a pint and a packet of S&V, but if you want to pay for the
whole gang you can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Ours used to be like that a few contracts back but they keep replacing the
contractors and the current lot just don't pass stufff on.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Not allowed any more here.

Something to do with privatising them or something.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
[...]

Health and safety, are you sure the knob your wife wanted was going to
be safe and not possibly a faulty knob that could cause untold harm?
You can never be too careful with the knobs down at the council tips.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , David WE Roberts
writes
[...]

It is the knobs in the council offices you need to beware of!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

Health and safety, are you sure the knob your wife wanted was going to
be safe and not possibly a faulty knob that could cause untold harm? You
can never be too careful with the knobs down at the council tips.

You don't want your wife to come into contact with an insanitary knob do
you? The best thing is to dip your knob in boiling water.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

[...]

No, it's just your tip being jobsworth *******s.

My local tip not only allow you to aquire stuff, they even have a stall
selling (for a quid) a variety of serviceable items - and the bloke will
even help you with it into the car if your a lady or infirm!

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

My local tip not only allow you to aquire stuff, they even have a stall
selling (for a quid) a variety of serviceable items - and the bloke will
even help you with it into the car if your a lady or infirm!

Sounds like Mountfield

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

My local tip not only allow you to aquire stuff, they even have a stall
selling (for a quid) a variety of serviceable items - and the bloke will
even help you with it into the car if your a lady or infirm!

Sounds like Mountfield

-

Yep. You local too?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr & Mrs Bennet-that-seagull-is-more-like-a-vulture, and their son...
"Gordon Bennet - that seagull is more like a vulture" or something

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
Mr & Mrs Bennet-that-seagull-is-more-like-a-vulture, and their son...
"Gordon Bennet - that seagull is more like a vulture" or something

JGH

Some more late arrivals at the Waste Recyclers Ball?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think you can still buy, but there are some rules. Pity there is no such
thing as an appliance breakers yard, mind you those are a dead bread now as
the money to be made means no more allowing public to have a look, the staff
take the good bits and flog them at very high prices.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

recycling Kevin Woodturning 25 August 13th 10 03:42 AM
Recycling Gone Too Far The Daring Dufas[_6_] Home Repair 1 April 11th 10 10:34 PM
Recycling Gone Mad ARWadsworth UK diy 18 February 14th 10 08:42 PM
Recycling a DC? Wade Lippman Woodworking 18 August 4th 07 04:47 PM
Recycling The Medway Handyman UK diy 44 July 24th 07 07:41 PM