Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recycling

Nightjar wrote:

On 23/08/2013 11:12, Tim Streater wrote:

Huge wrote:

I'd send a bill to your council for the time you spend sorting
your rubbish, a task you already pay them for.

Rubbish. If you want them to do it, they'll have to charge more.

Not necessarily. Mixed recycling results in a significantly larger
volume of materials being recycled. Many councils argue that the
resulting higher income more than covers the additional cost of sorting it.

I think that's the theory they're working on here, not only have they
gone from 4 bins collected by 3 lorries to 2 bins collected by 2
lorries, they've also gone from fortnightly recycling to weekly
recycling (keeping weekly rubbish too), they've then got to sort it, so
they must see an upside to the new scheme ...