Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Dirty" water supply

I have a problem with my washing machine not working 100% correctly on the
rinse cycle with concentrated conditioner.
I have determined that the problem is the low flow of water through the
conditioner tray during the rinse cycle.
The low flow is caused by blockage of approx 2mm size holes (twenty in number)
in to the conditioner tray.
I have cleaned them out as well as I could -- and removed quite a bit of black
"gunge" which was soluble when rubbed between fingers in water. It appears to
be mould/bacterial growth of some sort. The only thing flowing through the
pipe/machine to that point is mains cold water.

I have asked the legal question in uk.legal.moderated : if I draw the problem
to the Public Water supply company - do they have a legal obligation to check
the water supply quality and check the "gunge" to ascertain what it is.

The d-i-y questions: any ideas what the gunge will be and what could I wash the
pipes equipment tray with in order to dissolve/remove it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jane Frith writes:
[...]

Fabric conditioner goes mouldy like this. It often gets splashed back
into the water jets.

Also, the cheaper and eco washing detergents can leave a residue which
will go moldy. Doesn't seem to happen with the better quality ones.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 14 May 2013 18:51 Jane Frith wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

Your gunge is probably growing in the machine - have you seen it anywhere
else that is fed by mains water?

As for the tray - take it out (most unclip) and wash it in host soapy water
with some bleach.

However, if you are concerned, a phone call to your water supplier might
yeild something. Ask if you can have a water quality check done. I would
imaging they will oblige (they have to check various points of the system so
they must have a lab for it).

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2013 18:51, Jane Frith wrote:
[...]

I can't see them having any obligation beyond checking that the service
pipe is delivering water of adequate quality. The the water, when fed to
a washing machine and mixed with some indeterminate substance (by splash
if not directly) then happens to support the growth of mould will be of
no interest to them.

Black mould is the curse of washing machines. The only decent answer I
know is to clean it sufficiently frequently that any significant
build-up is avoided. And use a hot wash from time to time.

I hate posting a link to this newspaper, but...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...rous-bugs.html

Take due care as you read not to rush out and spend money on lots of
products!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with using the dishwasher to clean it:-)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 14 May 2013 19:49 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

What's wrong with using the dishwasher to clean it:-)?

That too - but mine has a label insert that looks like it would get buggered
up by a dishwasher, so I don't

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jane Frith wrote ...

I have a problem with my washing machine not working 100% correctly on the
rinse cycle with concentrated conditioner.
I have determined that the problem is the low flow of water through the
conditioner tray during the rinse cycle.
The low flow is caused by blockage of approx 2mm size holes (twenty in number)
in to the conditioner tray.
I have cleaned them out as well as I could -- and removed quite a bit of black
"gunge" which was soluble when rubbed between fingers in water. It appears to
be mould/bacterial growth of some sort. The only thing flowing through the
pipe/machine to that point is mains cold water.

I have asked the legal question in uk.legal.moderated : if I draw the problem
to the Public Water supply company - do they have a legal obligation to check
the water supply quality and check the "gunge" to ascertain what it is.

Typical. Any problem and it's "What's in it for me".

Try thinning out the conditioner with water or use another type.

The d-i-y questions: any ideas what the gunge will be and what could I wash the
pipes equipment tray with in order to dissolve/remove it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:51:31 +0100, Jane Frith
wrote:

I have cleaned them out as well as I could -- and removed quite a bit of black
"gunge" which was soluble when rubbed between fingers in water. It appears to
be mould/bacterial growth of some sort. The only thing flowing through the
pipe/machine to that point is mains cold water.

I have asked the legal question in uk.legal.moderated : if I draw the problem
to the Public Water supply company - do they have a legal obligation to check
the water supply quality and check the "gunge" to ascertain what it is.

Of course not. It is mould growing inside your machine because of
detergents you are using. Why on earth should the water company be
expected to do anything about it?

The d-i-y questions: any ideas what the gunge will be

A combination of mould and bacteria growing in the damp atmosphere
inside the machine and feeding on the detergent used in the rinse aid.
More common if you use "ecofriendly" products.

and what could I wash the
pipes equipment tray with in order to dissolve/remove it?

The cure is to pour a kettle full of boiling water through the
dispenser periodically and run the machine empty on its hottest cycle
once a month.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-05-14, ARW wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

If I read the OP's post correctly, the gunge is in the "ceiling" of
the slot that the drawer fits in. I discovered (the deadly) black
mould in our previous washer-dryer & never quite managed to eradicate
it, so I'm making some effort to prevent it in the new one (leaving
the drawer out for a while in the morning if I'm not in the kitchen;
wiping the slot out with surface wipes; spraying alcohol in it &
brushing it).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have cleaned them out as well as I could -- and removed quite a bit of black
"gunge" which was soluble when rubbed between fingers in water. It appears to
be mould/bacterial growth of some sort. The only thing flowing through the
pipe/machine to that point is mains cold water.

I have asked the legal question in uk.legal.moderated : if I draw the problem
to the Public Water supply company - do they have a legal obligation to check
the water supply quality and check the "gunge" to ascertain what it is.

Of course not. It is mould growing inside your machine because of
detergents you are using. Why on earth should the water company be
expected to do anything about it?

Perhaps you would care to read what I said again:
"The only thing flowing through the machine to that point is mains cold water"
Most will have worked it out that the problem is before there has been any
mixing with detergent or conditioner.
Adam Funk and others understood plain English: why can't you?
I will ignore the rest of the **** you have posted as you obviously have
comprehension problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

So do you. The problem may well be the warm, moist air rising into that
area from the machine after a wash, exacerbated by the detergent, etc.

Have you seen the mould anywhere else in your water supply? You haven't
answered that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Just out of interest Jane - is there a filter in the water intake to
the machine? My washer/dryer has, but it's not very likely to trap
much at a sort of biological level, which is probably/possibly your
problem.

If you complain to the water company about your "occasionally
discoloured" (!) water they should come and take samples from the
first tap in the house (probably the kitchen cold tap) and report back
on any findings.

Many (some?!) water companies openly publish detailed info on their
water. In some cases you can enter your postcode online and get a fair
amount of detail about the water that feeds your pipes...

HTH -

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

How can you be so sure that it's not caused by softener/detergent spash-
back?

There are some quite fine sprays insideside the drawer and I fine a certain
amount of washing agent residue up around the nozzels - potentially enough
to grow cultures on, though I've not had that particular problem.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I think you just have a problem, full stop. Everyone is giving you the
same basic answer, here and in uk.l.m, why not heed the advice given?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Of course not. It is mould growing inside your machine because of
detergents you are using. Why on earth should the water company be
expected to do anything about it?

Perhaps you would care to read what I said again:
"The only thing flowing through the machine to that point is mains cold water"

Perhaps you would care to engage brain. The water is in the machine,
it is going through a grill onto the fabric conditioner (which, if you
read the label, you would realise contains detergent) immediately
below it. The mixture of conditioner and water splashes about inside
and onto the conditioner grill where it is kept nice and warm and
moist by the water elsewhere in the machine. Not all is rinsed
through by the incoming water and mould grows on the residue which
remains damp for days after the machine is finished. Each time you
use the machine and conditioner you splash a bit more nutrient on the
mould which increases in mass, If you use concentrated conditioner
the problem is often worse which is why most washing machine
instructions tell you to dilute conditioner before adding it to the
dispenser and also to regularly run a max temp wash.

Your conclusion is that the water supply is the problem despite such
black slime not apparently occurring elsewhere in the house and it
being a common problem in washing machines (try "black mould in
washing machine" in Google)? I agree, that innovative leap of logic
did escape me.

Most will have worked it out that the problem is before there has been any
mixing with detergent or conditioner.

Most will have worked out that it only occurs where there are both
water and conditioner together inside the machine.

Most don't operate on "my mind is made up, please do not confuse me
with facts"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

One thing you can be sure of is that Peter read and understood what you
wrote. He is correct.
Get your machine cleaned by someone who can reach the parts you can't.
And get that person to recommend how you can keep it clean in future.
Then pay them.

Edgar

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 May 2013 09:02:59 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

How can you be so sure that it's not caused by softener/detergent spash-
back?

You are right - it was one of the first comments made by Andrew Gabriel and I
agree it is the most likely problem. It is a possibility - my partner is going
to see if they can take the fixed unit above the conditioner area apart to see
if that is was happened.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:51:31 +0100, Jane Frith wrote:

Many thanks to the following, much appreciated, good comments and advice:

Andrew Gabriel
Tim Watts
ARW
Adam Funk
polygonum
Owain
Frank Erskine
Brian Gaff

The person who recommended the group warned me about the "know-alls and
****wits club" No thanks to those whatsoever: you give the group as a whole a
bad name.

Eric
Peter Parry
Bob Eager
"Man at B&Q"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 May, 11:17, Jane Frith wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2013 09:02:59 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:
How can you be so sure that it's not caused by softener/detergent spash-
back?

You are right - it was one of the first comments made by Andrew Gabriel and I
agree it is the most likely problem. *It is a possibility - my partner is going
to see if they can take the fixed unit above the conditioner area apart to see
if that is was happened.

When the going gets tough, the "tough" turn to their partner...

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote ...

On May 15, 1:05*pm, Jane Frith wrote:
The person who recommended the group warned me about the "know-alls and
****wits club" *No thanks to those whatsoever: you give the group as a whole a
bad name.

Eric
Peter Parry
Bob Eager
"Man at B&Q"

I think that comment says more about its writer than about the
gentlemen heretofore mentioned.

Owain

The kind of customer who's called a stupid bitch when the door shuts or
the phone is put down. The type who calls a couple of times to confirm
what she was told the first time. One who spots a microscopic grease
mark on the item and demands a discount for the stress it's caused.
Then wonders why she can't get the same company to return when she has
another problem !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote ...

On 15 May, 11:17, Jane Frith wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2013 09:02:59 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:
How can you be so sure that it's not caused by softener/detergent spash-
back?

You are right - it was one of the first comments made by Andrew Gabriel and I
agree it is the most likely problem. *It is a possibility - my partner is going
to see if they can take the fixed unit above the conditioner area apart to see
if that is was happened.

When the going gets tough, the "tough" turn to their partner...

MBQ

Shirley you mean "nag" ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 15 May 2013 13:05 Jane Frith wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Eric
Peter Parry
Bob Eager
"Man at B&Q"

Oi! I know one of those personally - If you found Bob objectionable then I'm
afraid the fault lies with the beholder.

Me OTOH everyone finds objectionable...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2013 13:05, Jane Frith wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:51:31 +0100, Jane Frith wrote:

Many thanks to the following, much appreciated, good comments and advice:

Andrew Gabriel
Tim Watts
ARW
Adam Funk
polygonum
Owain
Frank Erskine
Brian Gaff

The person who recommended the group warned me about the "know-alls and
****wits club" No thanks to those whatsoever: you give the group as a whole a
bad name.

Eric
Peter Parry
Bob Eager
"Man at B&Q"

An object lesson in engendering "good neighbourliness" and ensuring
prompt and helpful future responses.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 May 2013 14:45:03 +0100, polygonum wrote:

The person who recommended the group warned me about the "know-alls
and ****wits club" No thanks to those whatsoever: you give the group
as a whole a bad name.

An object lesson in engendering "good neighbourliness" and ensuring
prompt and helpful future responses.

Quite, mind you from the orginal post it could be seen that trouble was
likely, trying to blame any body else but herself. Mrs Frith has
obviously not read the instructions for the machine which will undoubtly
say to leave the drawer open and/or dry it after use, wash regularly etc.

Just common sense, basic, machine maintenance really.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jane Frith" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:51:31 +0100, Jane Frith wrote:

Many thanks to the following, much appreciated, good comments and advice:

Andrew Gabriel
Tim Watts
ARW
Adam Funk
polygonum
Owain
Frank Erskine
Brian Gaff

The person who recommended the group warned me about the "know-alls and
****wits club" No thanks to those whatsoever: you give the group as a
whole a
bad name.

Eric
Peter Parry
Bob Eager
"Man at B&Q"

Go **** yourself Jane.
I have read all of the above names for years; they are good people.
As for your washing machine, use a toothbrush to clean out the jets above
the conditioner tray.
Take the tray out and wash it.
Use Stardrops.
Then, STFU and go **** yourself again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-05-14, Owain wrote:

On May 14, 7:06Â*pm, polygonum wrote:
Black mould is the curse of washing machines. The only decent answer I
know is to clean it sufficiently frequently that any significant
build-up is avoided. And use a hot wash from time to time.

I just leave the porthole and detergent doors ajar when not using it.

I do to the extent that it's practical in the kitchen. (If I had a
utility room, I'd leave them open most of the time.) But the main
problem IME (at least on the previous machine; as I said, I'm trying
preventive measures on the new one) is mould growth in the top of the
cavity that the drawer fits into.

Some people have mentioned running a hot wash regularly to keep the
machine clean. I use the 90° cycle once or maybe twice a month, but I
don't see how that can help keep the drawer & slot clean, since it's a
cold-fill-only machine: only the drum & output parts get hot.

Never have any mould problems. Detergent drawer gets a wipe-out every
5 years.

You mean the drawer itself or the drawer slot?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 May 2013 20:50:21 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

Some people have mentioned running a hot wash regularly to keep the
machine clean. I use the 90° cycle once or maybe twice a month, but I
don't see how that can help keep the drawer & slot clean, since it's a
cold-fill-only machine: only the drum & output parts get hot.

But there is an open path from the drum up into the drawer area. A
properly thought through and designed machine would make sure that the
drawer area got reasonably hot, 70 C plus. But a) I doubt that much
thought goes into that area of a machines design and b) the elvensafty
safety lot wouldn't allow it incase some one opened the drawer and got a
scald from it or the hot steam...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 May 2013 14:37 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Oi! I know one of those personally - If you found Bob objectionable then I'm
afraid the fault lies with the beholder.

I'm not even sure what poor Bob is meant to have done as his sole
contribution was both accurate and quite innocuous. I suspect this
was someone who didn't want answers to a problem but merely to have
their rather silly preconceptions confirmed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Oi! I know one of those personally - If you found Bob objectionable then I'm
afraid the fault lies with the beholder.

I'm not even sure what poor Bob is meant to have done as his sole
contribution was both accurate and quite innocuous. I suspect this
was someone who didn't want answers to a problem but merely to have
their rather silly preconceptions confirmed.

Am I the only one getting a whiff of troll?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Oi! I know one of those personally - If you found Bob objectionable then I'm
afraid the fault lies with the beholder.

I'm not even sure what poor Bob is meant to have done as his sole
contribution was both accurate and quite innocuous. I suspect this
was someone who didn't want answers to a problem but merely to have
their rather silly preconceptions confirmed.

Am I the only one getting a whiff of troll?

Tim

Maybe?

Wonder if this is the same person?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...pupils-1049042

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Oi! I know one of those personally - If you found Bob objectionable
then I'm
afraid the fault lies with the beholder.

I'm not even sure what poor Bob is meant to have done as his sole
contribution was both accurate and quite innocuous. I suspect this
was someone who didn't want answers to a problem but merely to have
their rather silly preconceptions confirmed.

Am I the only one getting a whiff of troll?

Tim

Maybe?

Wonder if this is the same person?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...pupils-1049042

Whoops - meant to say, partner said something like "Bet she is a
teacher, even a head..." when discussing the thread earlier.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2013 21:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
But there is an open path from the drum up into the drawer area. A
properly thought through and designed machine would make sure that the
drawer area got reasonably hot, 70 C plus. But a) I doubt that much
thought goes into that area of a machines design and b) the elvensafty
safety lot wouldn't allow it incase some one opened the drawer and got a
scald from it or the hot steam...

How is it going to get the drawer area up to 70 when most people don't
do any washes above 60?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 May 2013 09:56:45 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

But there is an open path from the drum up into the drawer area. A
properly thought through and designed machine would make sure that the
drawer area got reasonably hot, 70 C plus. But a) I doubt that much
thought goes into that area of a machines design and b) the elvensafty
safety lot wouldn't allow it incase some one opened the drawer and got
a scald from it or the hot steam...

How is it going to get the drawer area up to 70 when most people don't
do any washes above 60?

The destructions for the machine will almost certainly have one saying do
a boil wash every so often.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 15/05/2013 21:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
But there is an open path from the drum up into the drawer area. A
properly thought through and designed machine would make sure that the
drawer area got reasonably hot, 70 C plus. But a) I doubt that much
thought goes into that area of a machines design and b) the elvensafty
safety lot wouldn't allow it incase some one opened the drawer and got a
scald from it or the hot steam...

How is it going to get the drawer area up to 70 when most people don't
do any washes above 60?

I regularly wash such as white towels at 95 C.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-05-16, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2013 09:56:45 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

But there is an open path from the drum up into the drawer area. A
properly thought through and designed machine would make sure that the
drawer area got reasonably hot, 70 C plus. But a) I doubt that much
thought goes into that area of a machines design and b) the elvensafty
safety lot wouldn't allow it incase some one opened the drawer and got
a scald from it or the hot steam...

They'd also get support calls like "there's steam seeping out of the
drawer, what's wrong?!"

How is it going to get the drawer area up to 70 when most people don't
do any washes above 60?

The destructions for the machine will almost certainly have one saying do
a boil wash every so often.

My manual says to use 90° once a month (I think). I do that anyway,
because there are a few things I wash that hot, but I doubt most
people use that programme much. I would like to have a proper cold
wash, though; clothes that don't need hot water last longer if washed
in cold.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 15/05/2013 21:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
But there is an open path from the drum up into the drawer area. A
properly thought through and designed machine would make sure that the
drawer area got reasonably hot, 70 C plus. But a) I doubt that much
thought goes into that area of a machines design and b) the elvensafty
safety lot wouldn't allow it incase some one opened the drawer and got a
scald from it or the hot steam...

How is it going to get the drawer area up to 70 when most people don't
do any washes above 60?

I regularly wash such as white towels at 95 C.

Likewise - and it was not hard to convince SWMBO that the merits of giving
the washing machine a good flush out made it worth it.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-05-16, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2013 09:56:45 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

But there is an open path from the drum up into the drawer area. A
properly thought through and designed machine would make sure that
the drawer area got reasonably hot, 70 C plus. But a) I doubt that
much thought goes into that area of a machines design and b) the
elvensafty safety lot wouldn't allow it incase some one opened the
drawer and got a scald from it or the hot steam...

They'd also get support calls like "there's steam seeping out of the
drawer, what's wrong?!"

Not sure which machine, but I've actually seen a reassurance about that
in one WM manual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Jane Frith" wrote in message
[...]

Then her next post will be 'see i told you it was the water supply, when i
clean my teeth they end up all black and gungy, just like the washing
machine'