Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5749

Default "Hardly used" compressor with "very dirty" air cleaner

For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very
dirty" air cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-hp-60-gallon-...temZ7615099021

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Ignoramus5749" wrote: For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old
compressor with "very dirty" air cleaner.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a used car for sale that has hardly been driven. All it needs is a
set of new tires. ;-) If that were my compressor, I would be tempted to
clean it up a little with Photoshop. Just kidding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary H

I wonder how the filter got dirty.

"Ignoramus5749" wrote in message
For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very
dirty" air cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-hp-60-gallon-...temZ7615099021

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32263

On Wed, 03 May 2006 11:25:08 GMT, Gary H wrote:
I wonder how the filter got dirty.

I wondered about the same thing, and wrote to the seller. He replied:

``the air cleaner is dirty from sitting in a bucket with other parts
and stuff, the compressor sat the first half of its life in a friend
of mines fathers garage and then sat the other half in my garage since
1996 and runs perfect if you dont think so then dont bid on it. but i
can guarantee its hardly used''

I also wonder how come the muffler is so rusty on a "hardly used"
compressor that spent its life in a garage.

"Ignoramus5749" wrote in message
For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very
dirty" air cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-hp-60-gallon-...temZ7615099021

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

That is a Wisconsin enigne with the old style oil bath air cleaner. If
it was properly filled in 1974, it would indeed be 'very dirty' I have
the same filter on my one lunger fire pump. Engine does not seem to have
a lot of hours since the muffler outlet holes are rusty but still round.
High muffler temps will rust the holes after a lot of on/off cycles.

The engine is electric start but does not have the tractor style magnito
used on the earlier engines. It is twin cylinder with different size
cylinders so it should pump to 175 psi easily (assuming it still does)

This unit looks like one mounted on a service truck. If so, chances are
good it has some life left in it. The ones to stay away from are the
ones used by contractors to run their air tools. Those are run
continuously for 8 to 12 hours a day. These will get 2000 to 3000 hours
of service per year.

Ignoramus5749 wrote:

For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very
dirty" air cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-hp-60-gallon-...temZ7615099021

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 03 May 2006 04:39:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus5749 quickly quoth:

For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very
dirty" air cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-hp-60-gallon-...temZ7615099021

That sure looks like a 20-gallon tank to me. It's smaller than the
30/40-gal water heater in the background of the top right pic. g

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
WARNING! WARNING! Dangerous Mailbox Approaching. Evade! Evade!
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 03 May 2006 11:25:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Gary
H" quickly quoth:

I wonder how the filter got dirty.

20+ years on the back of a construction pickup?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
WARNING! WARNING! Dangerous Mailbox Approaching. Evade! Evade!
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very
dirty" air cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-hp-60-gallon-...temZ7615099021

It looks to me like one of those "like new - used only sixty times" kinds of
deals.

I'm sure it won't be long before some dumb **** comes up with a statement
like, "well, it was only used sixty times for two weeks each time, under
adverse conditions, in a harsh environment, but if the seller says it is
like new, that's good enough for me."

Place your bids, folks.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Ignoramus32263" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 May 2006 07:06:58 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Wed, 03 May 2006 04:39:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus5749 quickly quoth:

For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very
dirty" air cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-hp-60-gallon-...temZ7615099021

That sure looks like a 20-gallon tank to me. It's smaller than the
30/40-gal water heater in the background of the top right pic. g

Yes, I agree, I recently worked on a horizontal compressor, 60 gal,
and it was quite a bit bigger.

I was just this morning perusing auctions for a hoist. One said 220#
capacity, 440# if cable is rigged double. It went on to say that this hoist
could be used to lift engines, big bundles of shingles, etc. The picture
had it mounted on a piece of what looked like two inch pipe.

Why is it that some people can just look at a setup and say, "That ain't
right", and others say, "Well, if it says that, it must be so"?

Just wondering.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

We get a lot of that on our local classifieds newsgroup and craigslist.
A recent entry was for a "Brand new scooter" -- which had over 100 miles
on it.

Ignoramus5749 wrote:
For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very
dirty" air cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-hp-60-gallon-...temZ7615099021

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Wed, 03 May 2006 04:39:45 GMT, Ignoramus5749
wrote:

For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very
dirty" air cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-hp-60-gallon-...temZ7615099021

That's plausible if it's just the filter housing that is very dirty.
I've been munging out a garage for the past 6 months a bit at a time
-- owner died last fall. Everything in that garage was "very dirty"
though most of it was really in excellent operating condition with few
operating hours, except for the beer fridge and TV. Example: 12"
Atlas lathe, looked awful. When I cleaned it up a little, the ways
looked like new and everything worked perfectly. That old lathe had
no rust, and clearly had had very little use.

It doesn't take more than a couple of hours of run time to get the
muffler on an air-cooled engine hot enough to burn off any plating. It
will then rust externally thereafter whether or not it's run.