Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default "Hardly used" compressor with "very dirty" air cleaner

On Wed, 03 May 2006 04:39:45 GMT, Ignoramus5749
wrote:

For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very
dirty" air cleaner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-hp-60-gallon-...temZ7615099021

That's plausible if it's just the filter housing that is very dirty.
I've been munging out a garage for the past 6 months a bit at a time
-- owner died last fall. Everything in that garage was "very dirty"
though most of it was really in excellent operating condition with few
operating hours, except for the beer fridge and TV. Example: 12"
Atlas lathe, looked awful. When I cleaned it up a little, the ways
looked like new and everything worked perfectly. That old lathe had
no rust, and clearly had had very little use.

It doesn't take more than a couple of hours of run time to get the
muffler on an air-cooled engine hot enough to burn off any plating. It
will then rust externally thereafter whether or not it's run.