Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default "Dirty" water supply

On Tue, 14 May 2013 23:47:33 +0100, Jane Frith
wrote:

On Tue, 14 May 2013 20:36:38 +0100, Peter Parry wrote:

On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:51:31 +0100, Jane Frith
wrote:

Of course not. It is mould growing inside your machine because of
detergents you are using. Why on earth should the water company be
expected to do anything about it?

Perhaps you would care to read what I said again:
"The only thing flowing through the machine to that point is mains cold water"

Perhaps you would care to engage brain. The water is in the machine,
it is going through a grill onto the fabric conditioner (which, if you
read the label, you would realise contains detergent) immediately
below it. The mixture of conditioner and water splashes about inside
and onto the conditioner grill where it is kept nice and warm and
moist by the water elsewhere in the machine. Not all is rinsed
through by the incoming water and mould grows on the residue which
remains damp for days after the machine is finished. Each time you
use the machine and conditioner you splash a bit more nutrient on the
mould which increases in mass, If you use concentrated conditioner
the problem is often worse which is why most washing machine
instructions tell you to dilute conditioner before adding it to the
dispenser and also to regularly run a max temp wash.

Your conclusion is that the water supply is the problem despite such
black slime not apparently occurring elsewhere in the house and it
being a common problem in washing machines (try "black mould in
washing machine" in Google)? I agree, that innovative leap of logic
did escape me.

Most will have worked it out that the problem is before there has been any
mixing with detergent or conditioner.

Most will have worked out that it only occurs where there are both
water and conditioner together inside the machine.

Most don't operate on "my mind is made up, please do not confuse me
with facts"