Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Dirty" water supply

In article ,
Jane Frith writes:
I have a problem with my washing machine not working 100% correctly on the
rinse cycle with concentrated conditioner.
I have determined that the problem is the low flow of water through the
conditioner tray during the rinse cycle.
The low flow is caused by blockage of approx 2mm size holes (twenty in number)
in to the conditioner tray.
I have cleaned them out as well as I could -- and removed quite a bit of black
"gunge" which was soluble when rubbed between fingers in water. It appears to
be mould/bacterial growth of some sort. The only thing flowing through the
pipe/machine to that point is mains cold water.

I have asked the legal question in uk.legal.moderated : if I draw the problem
to the Public Water supply company - do they have a legal obligation to check
the water supply quality and check the "gunge" to ascertain what it is.

The d-i-y questions: any ideas what the gunge will be and what could I wash the
pipes equipment tray with in order to dissolve/remove it?

Fabric conditioner goes mouldy like this. It often gets splashed back
into the water jets.

Also, the cheaper and eco washing detergents can leave a residue which
will go moldy. Doesn't seem to happen with the better quality ones.

--
Andrew Gabriel