Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Dirty" water supply

On Tuesday 14 May 2013 18:51 Jane Frith wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have a problem with my washing machine not working 100% correctly on the
rinse cycle with concentrated conditioner.
I have determined that the problem is the low flow of water through the
conditioner tray during the rinse cycle.
The low flow is caused by blockage of approx 2mm size holes (twenty in
number) in to the conditioner tray.
I have cleaned them out as well as I could -- and removed quite a bit of
black
"gunge" which was soluble when rubbed between fingers in water. It
appears to
be mould/bacterial growth of some sort. The only thing flowing through
the pipe/machine to that point is mains cold water.

I have asked the legal question in uk.legal.moderated : if I draw the
problem to the Public Water supply company - do they have a legal
obligation to check the water supply quality and check the "gunge" to
ascertain what it is.

The d-i-y questions: any ideas what the gunge will be and what could I
wash the pipes equipment tray with in order to dissolve/remove it?

Your gunge is probably growing in the machine - have you seen it anywhere
else that is fed by mains water?

As for the tray - take it out (most unclip) and wash it in host soapy water
with some bleach.

However, if you are concerned, a phone call to your water supplier might
yeild something. Ask if you can have a water quality check done. I would
imaging they will oblige (they have to check various points of the system so
they must have a lab for it).

Reading this on the web? See: