Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default "Dirty" water supply

On 2013-05-14, Owain wrote:

On May 14, 7:06Â*pm, polygonum wrote:
Black mould is the curse of washing machines. The only decent answer I
know is to clean it sufficiently frequently that any significant
build-up is avoided. And use a hot wash from time to time.

I just leave the porthole and detergent doors ajar when not using it.

I do to the extent that it's practical in the kitchen. (If I had a
utility room, I'd leave them open most of the time.) But the main
problem IME (at least on the previous machine; as I said, I'm trying
preventive measures on the new one) is mould growth in the top of the
cavity that the drawer fits into.

Some people have mentioned running a hot wash regularly to keep the
machine clean. I use the 90° cycle once or maybe twice a month, but I
don't see how that can help keep the drawer & slot clean, since it's a
cold-fill-only machine: only the drum & output parts get hot.

Never have any mould problems. Detergent drawer gets a wipe-out every
5 years.

You mean the drawer itself or the drawer slot?