Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT This is the reason I hate the public enforcing the law

Driving down the A365 tonight and a headlight lamp blew. 2nd time in one
year, opposite headlight to the last one but it happens.

The bulb blew between Marr and Hickleton.

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way putting his
main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out on my van. I know that
there is a headlight out, what does the daft **** want me to do?

Me? I stuck my main beams on and moved across to the other side of the road
and scared the **** ****less. I swerved back in at the last second but I
loved it when he mounted the grass verge to avoid me.

Feel free to call me insane.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Each time I came down from Scotland I usually ended up driving
through the dark. Loads of times I'd see in my mirrors or
ahead what looked like somebody flashing me. Or maybe they
were just riding over a bump in the road. Or something. I ended
up getting out and checking all the lights every time I filled
up with petrol. Never found a problem. I now always assume
a flashing light is actually the car going over a bump.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 02/10/2012 20:31, ARW wrote:

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way putting his
main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out on my van. I know that
there is a headlight out, what does the daft **** want me to do?

This is why I never try to tell anyone they have a brake/head/tail light
out or if they have a seriously flat tyre - I figure they already know
and what's the point?

A few years back I did flash a Capri which had a small fire starting
underneath and got the finger. 500m up the road it was a ball of flame -
they got out ok but looked somewhat shaken

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 21:10:18 +0100, Lee wrote:

This is why I never try to tell anyone they have a brake/head/tail
light out or if they have a seriously flat tyre - I figure they already
know and what's the point?

I don't by flashing lights whilst on the move but if we've both parked up
reasonably close to each other I'll wander over and tell them.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2012 20:31, ARW wrote:

what does the daft **** want me to do?

slow down, there is a mobile speed trap ahead?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:31:05 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Driving down the A365 tonight and a headlight lamp blew. 2nd time in one

year, opposite headlight to the last one but it happens.

The bulb blew between Marr and Hickleton.

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way putting his

main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out on my van. I know that

there is a headlight out, what does the daft **** want me to do?

Me? I stuck my main beams on and moved across to the other side of the road

and scared the **** ****less. I swerved back in at the last second but I

loved it when he mounted the grass verge to avoid me.

Feel free to call me insane.

And you're proud of that?

Oh dear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

alan wrote:
On 02/10/2012 20:31, ARW wrote:

what does the daft **** want me to do?

slow down, there is a mobile speed trap ahead?

No. That's when you flash the lights. It's a well know warning against a
speed trap and you give a thumbs down sign when you pass the other driver

This one was a **** and he just put the main beams on.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:31:05 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Driving down the A365 tonight and a headlight lamp blew. 2nd time in one

year, opposite headlight to the last one but it happens.

The bulb blew between Marr and Hickleton.

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way putting his

main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out on my van. I know that

there is a headlight out, what does the daft **** want me to do?

Me? I stuck my main beams on and moved across to the other side of the road

and scared the **** ****less. I swerved back in at the last second but I

loved it when he mounted the grass verge to avoid me.

Feel free to call me insane.

If we don't hear from you again we'll know you got 5 years for DD.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:
Driving down the A365 tonight and a headlight lamp blew. 2nd time
in one

year, opposite headlight to the last one but it happens.

The bulb blew between Marr and Hickleton.

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way
putting his

main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out on my van. I know
that

there is a headlight out, what does the daft **** want me to do?

Me? I stuck my main beams on and moved across to the other side of
the road

and scared the **** ****less. I swerved back in at the last second
but I

loved it when he mounted the grass verge to avoid me.

Feel free to call me insane.

And you're proud of that?

Yes. 100% proud of it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't by flashing lights whilst on the move but if we've both parked
up reasonably close to each other I'll wander over and tell them.

...and hear tales like, "Its been like that for ages" or " I know, but it is
going for an MOT in a couple of months time, it will get fixed then."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/10/2012 20:31, ARW wrote:

Feel free to call me insane.

Insane, dangerous, incredibly stupid. Also criminal, and you posted that
with your real name. Do you expect applause or something? Or do you
live in a pure fantasy world where you make all this stuff up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee wrote:
On 02/10/2012 20:31, ARW wrote:

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way putting his
main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out on my van. I know that
there is a headlight out, what does the daft **** want me to do?

This is why I never try to tell anyone they have a brake/head/tail light
out or if they have a seriously flat tyre - I figure they already know
and what's the point?

A few years back I did flash a Capri which had a small fire starting
underneath and got the finger. 500m up the road it was a ball of flame -
they got out ok but looked somewhat shaken

I had an XJS that dropped a reae lamp. Being an XJS there was a warning
lamp to tell me.

At the next set of lights a fukimng cyclist pulled up alongside me and
tapped on te window
"Did you KNOWy our TAIL LIGHT was out". I gestured at the dash "Yes. The
car already told me that" and shut the window in his face.

Lee

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 23:34:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

At the next set of lights a fukimng cyclist pulled up alongside me and
tapped on te window
"Did you KNOWy our TAIL LIGHT was out". I gestured at the dash "Yes. The
car already told me that" and shut the window in his face.

Bless, they really get upset over the slightest things, don't they?

I pulled up alongside a white Sierra once (it was a while ago)
casually leaned over and asked the driver if he knew his car was on
fire.
Turned out he didn't and we both had a look underneath, where a fair
old bit of oil smoke and the odd flame was licking. Don't know exactly
what it was, but luckily he had an extinguisher - a decent sized one
too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Driving down the A365 tonight and a headlight lamp blew. 2nd time

in one

year, opposite headlight to the last one but it happens.

The bulb blew between Marr and Hickleton.

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way

putting his

main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out on my van. I know

that

there is a headlight out, what does the daft **** want me to do?

Me? I stuck my main beams on and moved across to the other side of

the road

and scared the **** ****less. I swerved back in at the last second

but I

loved it when he mounted the grass verge to avoid me.

Feel free to call me insane.

If we don't hear from you again we'll know you got 5 years for DD.

But the police were not there.

public admission. good luck with that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 10:35:52 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:31:05 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Driving down the A365 tonight and a headlight lamp blew. 2nd time in one

year, opposite headlight to the last one but it happens.

The bulb blew between Marr and Hickleton.

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way putting his

main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out on my van. I know that

there is a headlight out, what does the daft **** want me to do?

Me? I stuck my main beams on and moved across to the other side of the road

and scared the **** ****less. I swerved back in at the last second but I

loved it when he mounted the grass verge to avoid me.

Feel free to call me insane.

If we don't hear from you again we'll know you got 5 years for DD.

maybe even attempted
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2012 22:15, ARW wrote:
alan wrote:
On 02/10/2012 20:31, ARW wrote:

what does the daft **** want me to do?

slow down, there is a mobile speed trap ahead?

No. That's when you flash the lights. It's a well know warning against a
speed trap and you give a thumbs down sign when you pass the other driver

This one was a **** and he just put the main beams on.

So what does that make you? Your words:

"Me? I stuck my main beams on and moved across to the other side of the
road and scared the **** ****less. I swerved back in at the last second
but I loved it when he mounted the grass verge to avoid me."

Who's the bigger "C*NT", him or you? At least he wasn't guilty of
dangerous driving!

--
Phamer

If the bird of peace is the dove, the bird of love must be the swallow!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 21:39:29 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

I don't by flashing lights whilst on the move but if we've both parked
up reasonably close to each other I'll wander over and tell them.

...and hear tales like, "Its been like that for ages" or " I know, but
it is going for an MOT in a couple of months time, it will get fixed
then."

'tis true but I've done my bit. If they get stopped by the boys in blue
and knicked that's not my problem. Remember that the duff light is just
an excuse for them to stop you, once they have they'll check everything
else, like tyres, tax, insurance, your dox etc...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Do you drive a white van?
If so, you have white van man syndrome.
Get help,it can be fatal.
BTW you weren't in Wales were you with your white van were you?

Heh Heh!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARW" wrote:

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way
putting his main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out
on my van. I know that there is a headlight out, what does
the daft **** want me to do?

Me? I stuck my main beams on and moved across to the other side of
the road and scared the **** ****less. I swerved back in at the
last second but I loved it when he mounted the grass verge to avoid me.

Feel free to call me insane.

And you're proud of that?

Yes. 100% proud of it.

Hang on: so you nearly killed someone because he wanted to let you know
you had a light out?

What would you have done if he'd come up to you in the car park and said
"'Scuse me -- did you know your rear-nearside is nearly flat?" Shoved
him to the ground, kicked him, called him a nosey **** and told him to
mind his own business?

(Like TNP in another response) you say you were immediately aware that
your headlight had gone out: can I suggest (without fear of being filled
in) that you are in a tiny, TINY minority!??

I check my lights regularly, because I know it's often difficult to tell
from behind the wheel when a headlight's out.

Looking at many drivers on the road, it's a bloody miracle that they
know which side the petrol cap is on, never mind checking their lights.

Added to all of this, of course, replacing a headlight bulb these days
is either (a) virtually impossible for the average owner (including me)
or (b) unbelievably expensive at a garage. No wonder that there are so
many lights out: it's ****ing annoying, and it's ********ing
dangerous****.[1]

John

[1] Though nowhere near as dangerous as bad-tempered, arrogant, insanely
aggressive white van drivers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2012 08:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 21:39:29 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

I don't by flashing lights whilst on the move but if we've both parked
up reasonably close to each other I'll wander over and tell them.

...and hear tales like, "Its been like that for ages" or " I know, but
it is going for an MOT in a couple of months time, it will get fixed
then."

'tis true but I've done my bit. If they get stopped by the boys in blue
and knicked

Does that make "knickers" another name for police officers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
wrote:
[...]

Ooooh. That's below the belt, even for you Harry. Don't joke about **** like
that on here, please.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

If we don't hear from you again we'll know you got 5 years for DD.

maybe even attempted

Members of this "group" have committed quite a few criminal acts on-line
lately, its just as well nobody cares enough to dob them in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster
writes
On 03/10/2012 08:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 21:39:29 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

I don't by flashing lights whilst on the move but if we've both parked
up reasonably close to each other I'll wander over and tell them.

...and hear tales like, "Its been like that for ages" or " I know, but
it is going for an MOT in a couple of months time, it will get fixed
then."

'tis true but I've done my bit. If they get stopped by the boys in blue
and knicked

Does that make "knickers" another name for police officers?

Is that a cue for an, "everything you say will be taken down . . ."
joke?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2012 09:19, Another John wrote:

Looking at many drivers on the road, it's a bloody miracle that they
know which side the petrol cap is on

Notwithstanding the fact that I am an utterly *brilliant* driver, I have
no clue which side the petrol cap is, courtesy of the fact that it's
different on the the two vehicles I drive regularly. However, I have no
incentive to try to remember, as whichever side of the petrol pump I
park, the hose is always more than amply long enough to reach the tank
even if it's on the far side of the car, with no risk of damage etc to
pump/hose/car.

I always find it bizarre when there are two or three vehicles with
right-side petrol caps queuing on the left side of the pump, but nobody
using the right side... I pull up, fill my tank using the hose over to
the far side of the car, and have left the forecourt before these people
have even reached the pump...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article ,
"ARW" wrote:

[...]

Holy crap, are UK drivers SO BAD that they don't know they only have on
headlight left? Its bloody FRIGHTENING.

I can only conclude you are one of those people who never drives on
roads at night than don't have streetlights.

I check my lights regularly, because I know it's often difficult to tell
from behind the wheel when a headlight's out.

Looking at many drivers on the road, it's a bloody miracle that they
know which side the petrol cap is on, never mind checking their lights.

Added to all of this, of course, replacing a headlight bulb these days
is either (a) virtually impossible for the average owner (including me)
or (b) unbelievably expensive at a garage. No wonder that there are so
many lights out: it's ****ing annoying, and it's ********ing
dangerous****.[1]

Actually despite halford's adverts its usually a piece of ****, even
with sealed beam units.

John

[1] Though nowhere near as dangerous as bad-tempered, arrogant, insanely
aggressive white van drivers.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , Lobster
writes
On 03/10/2012 08:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 21:39:29 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

I don't by flashing lights whilst on the move but if we've both parked
up reasonably close to each other I'll wander over and tell them.

...and hear tales like, "Its been like that for ages" or " I know, but
it is going for an MOT in a couple of months time, it will get fixed
then."

'tis true but I've done my bit. If they get stopped by the boys in blue
and knicked

Does that make "knickers" another name for police officers?

Is that a cue for an, "everything you say will be taken down . . ." joke?

I was going to say 'well, we always knew they were pants'

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Holy crap, are UK drivers SO BAD that they don't know they only have on
headlight left? Its bloody FRIGHTENING.

Oh most them know, that's why they've got their foglights on to
"compensate".

I can only conclude you are one of those people who never drives on
roads at night than don't have streetlights.

That doesn't stop them, I had to flash a driver last night who was
driving without headlights through a village in the sticks with no
streetlights.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Added to all of this, of course, replacing a headlight bulb these days is
either (a) virtually impossible for the average owner (including me) or
(b) unbelievably expensive at a garage. No wonder that there are so many
lights out: it's ****ing annoying, and it's ********ing dangerous****.[1]

Actually despite halford's adverts its usually a piece of ****, even with
sealed beam units.

You should try it on an old style Smart car, you have to remove the front
bodywork as far back as the doors to get to the lights.
The new ones are easy.

The big problem with letting drivers change lamps is that the H7 lamps are
too easy to miss-locate.
They work but dazzle oncoming drivers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article ,
"ARW" wrote:

[...]

Not a piece of ****. My relatively wide hands simply don't fit where
they are needed on current car. So the hands end up pushed into a
too-small space and scraped by all sorts of things. Usually fairly
uncomfortable with bruising and minor skin damage for a few days after.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 3, 10:02*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Another John wrote:
In article ,
*"ARW" wrote:

[...]

cough*alfa156*cough

Actually, the Alfa's headlamp bulbs are (relatively) easy, it's the
sidelights that are the real *******.

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 3, 10:02*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Another John wrote:
In article ,
*"ARW" wrote:

[...]

Or never pulls up behind another vehicle and notices there's only one
headlamp showing in the reflection (as I did last night :-) I wouldn't
go out of my way to inform these people on principle.

They can get pulled over or fail the MOT, and deserve it, for all I
care.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 2, 10:39*pm, GB wrote:
On 02/10/2012 20:31, ARW wrote:

Feel free to call me insane.

Insane, dangerous, incredibly stupid. Also criminal, and you posted that
with your real name. Do you expect applause or something?

Applause

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 20:31:02 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

Driving down the A365 tonight and a headlight lamp blew. 2nd time in one
year, opposite headlight to the last one but it happens.

The bulb blew between Marr and Hickleton.

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way putting his
main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out on my van. I know that
there is a headlight out, what does the daft **** want me to do?

Me? I stuck my main beams on and moved across to the other side of the road
and scared the **** ****less. I swerved back in at the last second but I
loved it when he mounted the grass verge to avoid me.

Sometimes when a lamp blows the remaining one seems to get a bit more
juice and goes a lot brighter even when on dip, So it's possible he
wasn't trying to be nice but went straight into **** mode just the
same as you did.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[Snip]

Actually despite halford's adverts its usually a piece of ****, even
with sealed beam units.

In my last car, the battery had to be removed to gain access to the
nearside headlamp unit.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon spake thus:

wrote:

At the next set of lights a fukimng cyclist pulled up alongside me and
tapped on te window "Did you KNOWy our TAIL LIGHT was out". I gestured
at the dash "Yes. The car already told me that" and shut the window in
his face.

Bless, they really get upset over the slightest things, don't they?

I pulled up alongside a white Sierra once (it was a while ago) casually
leaned over and asked the driver if he knew his car was on fire.
Turned out he didn't and we both had a look underneath, where a fair old
bit of oil smoke and the odd flame was licking. Don't know exactly what
it was, but luckily he had an extinguisher - a decent sized one too.

I was walking past a pub when I noticed a parked car smoking quite
impressively. Went in and said "anyone got a white Ford Orion parked
outside?". A guy said, "yeah, me" and put his pint down. I said "you'll
want to bring that..."

Is it a public footpath ? john ryan UK diy 74 May 30th 11 04:28 PM
Another reason to hate CFLs ... Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 65 October 26th 10 11:10 PM
Any reason Bob La Londe Metalworking 5 February 10th 10 05:15 AM
Is there any particular reason... Malissa Baldwin Home Repair 0 April 15th 07 07:21 AM
Opinion public Dr. Hair PicK Home Repair 1 January 29th 06 03:49 PM