Posted to uk.d-i-y
Halmyre Halmyre is offline

Default OT This is the reason I hate the public enforcing the law

On Oct 3, 10:02*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Another John wrote:
In article ,
*"ARW" wrote:

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way
putting his main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out
on my van. I know that there is a headlight out, what does
the daft **** want me to do?

Me? I stuck my main beams on and moved across to the other side of
the road and scared the **** ****less. I swerved back in at the
last second but I loved it when he mounted the grass verge to avoid me.

Feel free to call me insane.
And you're proud of that?
Yes. 100% proud of it.

Hang on: so you nearly killed someone because he wanted to let you know
you had a light out?

What would you have done if he'd come up to you in the car park and said
"'Scuse me -- did you know your rear-nearside is nearly flat?" * *Shoved
him to the ground, kicked him, called him a nosey **** and told him to
mind his own business?

(Like TNP in another response) you say you were immediately aware that
your headlight had gone out: can I suggest (without fear of being filled
in) that you are in a tiny, TINY minority!??

Holy crap, are UK drivers SO BAD that they don't know they only have on
headlight left? Its bloody FRIGHTENING.

I can only conclude you are one of those people who never drives on
roads at night than don't have streetlights.

I check my lights regularly, because I know it's often difficult to tell
from behind the wheel when a headlight's out.

Looking at many drivers on the road, it's a bloody miracle that they
know which side the petrol cap is on, never mind checking their lights.

Added to all of this, of course, replacing a headlight bulb these days
is either (a) virtually impossible for the average owner (including me)
or (b) unbelievably expensive at a garage. *No wonder that there are so
many lights out: it's ****ing annoying, and it's ********ing
dangerous****.[1]

Actually despite halford's adverts its usually a piece of ****, even
with sealed beam units.

cough*alfa156*cough

Actually, the Alfa's headlamp bulbs are (relatively) easy, it's the
sidelights that are the real *******.

--
Halmyre