Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Stupid, stupid, stupid! Left garden hose on...

Came back at least two hours later to find I'd forgotten to turn off
the garden hose after watering the plants, then going shopping. It was
only on at a moderate flow -- more than a trickle, but significant.
I've just read the meter under the pavement and worked out
(extrapolating from my previous bill) how much has gone. The estimated
reading for 20/Aug/12 based on past consumption should be 446. The
actual reading is 448.68, so I've wasted over 2.5m³, which is a heck
of a lot. So I'm planning on emergency measures like all-over washes
instead of baths for the next three months.

But as I get older and more forgetful, is there a gadget I can fit to
either turn off the tap automatically or warn if it's left on? Okay,
so I wouldn't have heard a warning while out shopping, but I was back
home for at least half an hour before going out into the garden and
then noticing the lake of water on the lawn.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/12 18:53, MM wrote:
[...]

Get a spay gun, something like these.

http://www.hozelock.com/watering/spray-guns.html

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2012 18:53, MM wrote:

I've just read the meter under the pavement and worked out
(extrapolating from my previous bill) how much has gone. The estimated
reading for 20/Aug/12 based on past consumption should be 446. The
actual reading is 448.68, so I've wasted over 2.5m³, which is a heck
of a lot.

Nearly a whole fiver's worth...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

What does 2.5m³ of water cost?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

My Google-fu seems to be having an off day, but I remember specifying a
valve that would cut off flow after a preset amount in the '80s.

I could only find this one:-

http://www.buygpi.com/low-flow-mechanical-batching.aspx

Available from the USA, which only lets the preset amount through, and
is reset by turning the flow off upstream of the unit.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2012 18:53, MM wrote:
Came back at least two hours later to find I'd forgotten to turn off
the garden hose after watering the plants, then going shopping. It was
only on at a moderate flow -- more than a trickle, but significant.
I've just read the meter under the pavement and worked out
(extrapolating from my previous bill) how much has gone. The estimated
reading for 20/Aug/12 based on past consumption should be 446. The
actual reading is 448.68, so I've wasted over 2.5m³, which is a heck
of a lot. So I'm planning on emergency measures like all-over washes
instead of baths for the next three months.

But as I get older and more forgetful, is there a gadget I can fit to
either turn off the tap automatically or warn if it's left on?

Yup. Clockwork hose timer, adjustable up to 2 hours;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Land.../sd3226/p49191

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:07:18 +0100, Clive George
wrote:

On 20/08/2012 18:53, MM wrote:

I've just read the meter under the pavement and worked out
(extrapolating from my previous bill) how much has gone. The estimated
reading for 20/Aug/12 based on past consumption should be 446. The
actual reading is 448.68, so I've wasted over 2.5m³, which is a heck
of a lot.

Nearly a whole fiver's worth...

Not the point! Waste not, want not.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:18:56 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 20/08/2012 18:53, MM wrote:
Came back at least two hours later to find I'd forgotten to turn off
the garden hose after watering the plants, then going shopping. It was
only on at a moderate flow -- more than a trickle, but significant.
I've just read the meter under the pavement and worked out
(extrapolating from my previous bill) how much has gone. The estimated
reading for 20/Aug/12 based on past consumption should be 446. The
actual reading is 448.68, so I've wasted over 2.5m³, which is a heck
of a lot. So I'm planning on emergency measures like all-over washes
instead of baths for the next three months.

But as I get older and more forgetful, is there a gadget I can fit to
either turn off the tap automatically or warn if it's left on?

Yup. Clockwork hose timer, adjustable up to 2 hours;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Land.../sd3226/p49191

Yes, I like the look of that one. And the price is not bad, either.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 20/08/2012 18:53, MM wrote:
[...]

It would be cheaper to forget about the hosepipe once in a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2012 19:11, John Williamson wrote:
MM wrote:
[...]

Yep, I'm sure I remember seeing such a valve advertised in the 80s. It
was entirely mechanical, intended to be fitted straight after the
stop-tap and would allow enough to fill a bath, but would cut-off if the
water kept running. Stopping the flow by turning the tap off immediately
reset it for next time. It was being advertised as for saving your house
from major damage if there was a leak while you were out.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:03:58 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

Get a spay gun,

The local cats will love it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/12 20:52, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The local cats will love it.

I was hoping no one would notice ! :-{

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 20/08/2012 18:53, MM wrote:
[...]

Hmm, that's at least another 3 months of no baths to cover the cost.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
Came back at least two hours later to find I'd forgotten to turn off
the garden hose after watering the plants, then going shopping. It was
only on at a moderate flow -- more than a trickle, but significant.
I've just read the meter under the pavement and worked out
(extrapolating from my previous bill) how much has gone. The estimated
reading for 20/Aug/12 based on past consumption should be 446. The
actual reading is 448.68, so I've wasted over 2.5m³,

Whats that worth, a couple of quid?

which is a heck
of a lot. So I'm planning on emergency measures like all-over washes
instead of baths for the next three months.

You reallyh are a bit of a tosser, aren't you

Just take the hit and move on with your pathetic life

But as I get older and more forgetful, is there a gadget I can fit to
either turn off the tap automatically or warn if it's left on? Okay,
so I wouldn't have heard a warning while out shopping, but I was back
home for at least half an hour before going out into the garden and
then noticing the lake of water on the lawn.

Buy some ducks and wait for them to start quacking contentedly

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:
Get a spay gun, something like these.

But you still need to remember to turn it off at the tap. I
came home one day last week and heard a streaming/spraying
noise from next door. Their spray gun had half popped off
the hosepipe and water was gushing all over the yard. I
turned their tap off for them.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , MM
scribeth thus
[...]

One of our neighbours went on a very interesting Winter holiday to the
Antarctic;!, and just before they went in Feb they left an outside tap
on which had froze along the hose pipe somewhere.

Well the weather got warmer and someone from the water board was seen
outside apparently someone had noticed a hiss in a pipe they didn't
like. Another WB person called round and said that there was a bad leak
somewhere.

He said do I know the people living over there and I said yes and if you
think thats were its coming from. Muttered that he couldn't get in I
said I can, over the fence, only to find their garden was some 9 inches
deep in water, quite a lake it was.

Dunno what the bill came to but I don't think they had to pay it all..
Must have been like that some three weeks or so!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:53:50 +0100, MM wrote:

I've just read the meter under the pavement ...

Water meter?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2012 22:11, tony sayer wrote:

He said do I know the people living over there and I said yes and if you
think thats were its coming from. Muttered that he couldn't get in I
said I can, over the fence, only to find their garden was some 9 inches
deep in water, quite a lake it was.

Dunno what the bill came to but I don't think they had to pay it all..
Must have been like that some three weeks or so!...

They were lucky; I used to belong to a tennis club and we had a leak in
the main supply after the meter which drained away without surfacing
anywhere. Only discovered on the quarterly reading, and we had to pay it
(several hundred pounds in 1980's money, IIR).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was just thinking that, a kind of dead mans handle for hoses.
Actually if it had still been flat rate and not metered from what people
tell me that bill would be crippling now. I still think he has saved, also
of course the water will probably be used by the plants and thus not so
much watering needed for a while.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Cap" wrote in message
news
On 20/08/12 18:53, MM wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:38:55 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I was just thinking that, a kind of dead mans handle for hoses.
Actually if it had still been flat rate and not metered from what people
tell me that bill would be crippling now. I still think he has saved, also
of course the water will probably be used by the plants and thus not so
much watering needed for a while.
Brian

Well, in such hot weather those 2.5m³ disappeared faster than hotdogs
at a barbecue. Mind you, I expect the lawn will look a bit greener
over the next few days, so it's not all bad.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 20/08/2012 18:53, MM wrote:
[...]

I'm actually thinking how/where I could install a shower, even though
I hate the things. There's a small "guest" lav downstairs and if I
ripped out the small corner basin I'd probably have enough space for a
shower. There are hand-washing facilities adjacent in the annex where
this second lav is situated. Maybe I could turn it into a wetroom.
Always quite liked that idea, rather than the stupid ledge you trip
over when stumbling from the shower, hunting for a towel. God, how I
hate 'em!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:24:06 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , MM
writes
[...]

Gee, thanks, geoff, for your kind words! Much appreciated.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:13:50 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:53:50 +0100, MM wrote:

I've just read the meter under the pavement ...

Water meter?

Is there any other kind under the pavement?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2012 19:10, ARWadsworth wrote:
MM wrote:

[snip]

What does 2.5m³ of water cost?

I reckon my water's on about £5-£6 per cu. metre

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

[snip]

What does 2.5m³ of water cost?

I reckon my water's on about £5-£6 per cu. metre

I'm being charged £1.13 per cubic metre by Yorkshire Water - but that
doesn't include their sewerage charge of £1.33 per cubic metre which
is itemised separately.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

MM wrote:

[snip]

What does 2.5m³ of water cost?

I reckon my water's on about £5-£6 per cu. metre

Is that in the UK?

Anglian Water charges me (from 27/Jun/12) 183.36 pence per m³, no
standing charge (So-Low tariff).

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 07:30:32 +0100, MM wrote:

I've just read the meter under the pavement ...

Water meter?

Is there any other kind under the pavement?

I donno all we have in our water supply is a street stop cock 10 yards
down the road.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

MM wrote:

[snip]

What does 2.5m³ of water cost?

I reckon my water's on about £5-£6 per cu. metre

I'm being charged £1.13 per cubic metre by Yorkshire Water - but that
doesn't include their sewerage charge of £1.33 per cubic metre which
is itemised separately.

I don't pay any sewerage charge, but I DO pay an estate management fee
of £400 annually for upkeep and emptying of the private sewage
treatment plant, street lighting and green space maintenance. That's
£400 x 40 dwellings, BTW!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:41:55 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 07:30:32 +0100, MM wrote:

I've just read the meter under the pavement ...

Water meter?

Is there any other kind under the pavement?

I donno all we have in our water supply is a street stop cock 10 yards
down the road.

Aren't you metered then?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 12:08:48 +0100, MM wrote:

I've just read the meter under the pavement ...

Water meter?

Is there any other kind under the pavement?

I donno all we have in our water supply is a street stop cock 10 yards
down the road.

Aren't you metered then?

Nope, that's why I'm wondering what these water meter things are. B-)
Never lived in a place with a water meter. Water costs about £300/year
supply only, no mains drain.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

[snip]

What does 2.5m³ of water cost?

I reckon my water's on about £5-£6 per cu. metre

Is that in the UK?

Anglian Water charges me (from 27/Jun/12) 183.36 pence per m³, no
standing charge (So-Low tariff).

MM

Plus rather more than that for sewage estimated at 90% of volume of water.
2.5 cu. m. is more than 10% of my annual consumption.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/21/2012 9:08 AM, Tim Streater wrote:

Really? Everywhere I've lived they've had water meters. France, US,
Switzerland.

Our place in the US is metered, but the one in Scotland is not. It's a
flat rate, paid along with the council tax.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

MM wrote:

[snip]

What does 2.5m³ of water cost?

I reckon my water's on about £5-£6 per cu. metre

Is that in the UK?

Anglian Water charges me (from 27/Jun/12) 183.36 pence per m³, no
standing charge (So-Low tariff).

MM

Plus rather more than that for sewage estimated at 90% of volume of water.
2.5 cu. m. is more than 10% of my annual consumption.

I don't pay any sewerage charge. Private treatment plant.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:10:09 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:
What does 2.5m³ of water cost?

I'm in the US, but I like running numbers... that's 152559 ci I think, or
660 gallons. I get about 4 gpm out of our well, so that's 165 minutes of
run-time, or 2.75 hours.

The well pump uses a 750W electric motor, and electric is about 9c/kWh,
so that's 6.75c/hour to run the pump. 2.75 x 6.75 = 18.56c total cost.

In other words, just a shade under 12 pence.

If you want to factor in the cost of drilling/installing a new well, then
(assuming a 20 year lifespan, although we've got 26 years on our well and
35 on the pump) add 4p to the above.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

[snip]

What does 2.5m³ of water cost?

I reckon my water's on about £5-£6 per cu. metre

Forgot to mention: that's the lot: standing charges, sewerage and the
like (Yorkshire Water/United Utilities)
Having checked my last YW bill, it's 118p per cu meter for water.
Over the whole bill, a cu metre of water would be £6.18 per cu me (all
in). Depends how you want to think of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:

On 8/21/2012 9:08 AM, Tim Streater wrote:

Really? Everywhere I've lived they've had water meters. France,
US, Switzerland.

Our place in the US is metered, but the one in Scotland is not.
It's a flat rate, paid along with the council tax.

People in the UK have a funny attitude to metering water. Like, water
falls out of the sky for nothing, so constant uninterrupted pure water
should be piped to my house and the sewage taken away for nothing.

Now the rationing has finished why not:-)

Just jout a friend considering buting a house that has meterered water. He's
not happy. 2 kids and one on the way plus all the vehicles to wash, and hot
tub.

As he is moving up a council tax bracket (or maybe 2) from his previous
house I suspect he will pay around the same price for his water per year
(apart from when the extention is built)
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 12:08:48 +0100, MM wrote:

I've just read the meter under the pavement ...

Water meter?

Is there any other kind under the pavement?

I donno all we have in our water supply is a street stop cock 10
yards down the road.

Aren't you metered then?

Nope, that's why I'm wondering what these water meter things are. B-)
Never lived in a place with a water meter. Water costs about £300/year
supply only, no mains drain.

My water rates for supply and sewerage was £410 per year, paid in two halves
each totalling £205.
I had a water meter installed and now pay £14 per month

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:08:37 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Never lived in a place with a water meter.

Really? Everywhere I've lived they've had water meters. France, US,
Switzerland.

Yes, really, that's from 30's semi near Birmingham, flat conversion in
Bristol, 70's or so town house in St Albans and this old farm house in
Cumbria.

Water meters are a fairly recent, 20 to 30 years, addition to the UK
housing stock. I think all new build has to have one and if you retrofit
the property is stuck with it ie you or new owner can't go back to
un-metered and billing based on rateable value.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:44:07 +0100, Phil L wrote:

My water rates for supply and sewerage was £410 per year, paid in two
halves each totalling £205. I had a water meter installed and now pay
£14 per month

Be nice to reduce the water bill by nearly 50% but I note you use a
singular "I". So I guess you live on your own or just you and SO. I have
a family, one of which is a teenage daughter. She'll get through 2m^3 of
water a week just for her "quick baths" that normally take 3hrs...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:08:37 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 12:08:48 +0100, MM wrote:

I've just read the meter under the pavement ...

Water meter?

Is there any other kind under the pavement?

I donno all we have in our water supply is a street stop cock 10
yards down the road.

Aren't you metered then?

Nope, that's why I'm wondering what these water meter things are. B-)
Never lived in a place with a water meter. Water costs about £300/year
supply only, no mains drain.

Really? Everywhere I've lived they've had water meters. France, US,
Switzerland.

We haven't got one either.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK: