Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stupid, stupid, stupid! Left garden hose on...

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:08:37 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Never lived in a place with a water meter.

Really? Everywhere I've lived they've had water meters. France, US,
Switzerland.

Yes, really, that's from 30's semi near Birmingham, flat conversion in
Bristol, 70's or so town house in St Albans and this old farm house in
Cumbria.

Water meters are a fairly recent, 20 to 30 years, addition to the UK
housing stock. I think all new build has to have one and if you retrofit
the property is stuck with it ie you or new owner can't go back to
un-metered and billing based on rateable value.

--
Cheers
Dave.