Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Stupid, stupid, stupid! Left garden hose on...

I was just thinking that, a kind of dead mans handle for hoses.
Actually if it had still been flat rate and not metered from what people
tell me that bill would be crippling now. I still think he has saved, also
of course the water will probably be used by the plants and thus not so
much watering needed for a while.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Cap" wrote in message
news
On 20/08/12 18:53, MM wrote:
Came back at least two hours later to find I'd forgotten to turn off
the garden hose after watering the plants, then going shopping. It was
only on at a moderate flow -- more than a trickle, but significant.
I've just read the meter under the pavement and worked out
(extrapolating from my previous bill) how much has gone. The estimated
reading for 20/Aug/12 based on past consumption should be 446. The
actual reading is 448.68, so I've wasted over 2.5m³, which is a heck
of a lot. So I'm planning on emergency measures like all-over washes
instead of baths for the next three months.

But as I get older and more forgetful, is there a gadget I can fit to
either turn off the tap automatically or warn if it's left on? Okay,
so I wouldn't have heard a warning while out shopping, but I was back
home for at least half an hour before going out into the garden and
then noticing the lake of water on the lawn.

MM

Get a spay gun, something like these.

http://www.hozelock.com/watering/spray-guns.html

Andy C