Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stupid, stupid mistake - rectified

Thanks to all the help and advice from people here, I managed to fix the
problem with the first stage of my sectional-concrete-garage-into-workshop
conversion (the problem being that a secondhand uPVC window mysteriously
grew overnight and proved too big to fit into the wooden frame I'd built for
it).

In case anyone else is brave enough or daft enough to contemplate doing
something similar, I thought I'd offer three pictures:

The garage as it was: http://tinyurl.com/3zm4f25

Inbetween: http://tinyurl.com/3aut2o3

And with window and door installed: http://tinyurl.com/3t6bbtc

The structure survived having several of the panels removed (and staying
that way for several days), though I did bolt the single freestanding panel
that remained between the door aperture and the window space down into the
base (the rest of the garage is just resting there, held by its own weight).
Even so, there was definitely a degree of movement until the metal door
frame and timber window framing went in, and still some slight settling
after that.

Next stage is fitting another secondhand window into a wooden frame in the
end wall. Measure twice, cut once, measure twice, cut once, measure twice,
cut once...

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry, the second (inbetween) picture link seems to have gone wrong. This
should work:

http://tinyurl.com/3pnbcbg

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bert
Coules writes

In case anyone else is brave enough or daft enough to contemplate doing
something similar, I thought I'd offer three pictures:

The garage as it was: http://tinyurl.com/3zm4f25

Inbetween: http://tinyurl.com/3aut2o3

And with window and door installed: http://tinyurl.com/3t6bbtc

Glad you got it sorted, vast improvement IMV.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote:

Glad you got it sorted, vast improvement IMV.

Thanks. The extra light really has transformed the interior: well worth
doing, I think.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:
"fred" wrote:

Glad you got it sorted, vast improvement IMV.

Thanks. The extra light really has transformed the interior: well
worth doing, I think.

Bloody hell. A concrete garage that looks OK.

Nice one.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2011 12:05, Bert Coules wrote:
Thanks to all the help and advice from people here, I managed to fix the
problem with the first stage of my
sectional-concrete-garage-into-workshop conversion (the problem being
that a secondhand uPVC window mysteriously grew overnight and proved too
big to fit into the wooden frame I'd built for it).

In case anyone else is brave enough or daft enough to contemplate doing
something similar, I thought I'd offer three pictures:

The garage as it was: http://tinyurl.com/3zm4f25

Inbetween: http://tinyurl.com/3aut2o3

And with window and door installed: http://tinyurl.com/3t6bbtc

Nice job...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam & John, thanks for the replies and kind words. I'm quietly pleased
with how things are going so far. Next is another window in the end wall,
then lining the internal walls and sorting out the ceiling to control the
condensation problem...

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 28/07/2011 12:05, Bert Coules wrote:
Thanks to all the help and advice from people here, I managed to fix the
problem with the first stage of my
sectional-concrete-garage-into-workshop conversion (the problem being
that a secondhand uPVC window mysteriously grew overnight and proved too
big to fit into the wooden frame I'd built for it).

In case anyone else is brave enough or daft enough to contemplate doing
something similar, I thought I'd offer three pictures:

The garage as it was: http://tinyurl.com/3zm4f25

Inbetween: http://tinyurl.com/3aut2o3

And with window and door installed: http://tinyurl.com/3t6bbtc

Nice job...