Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+ Tim+ is offline

Default Stupid, stupid, stupid! Left garden hose on...

MM wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:18:56 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 20/08/2012 18:53, MM wrote:
Came back at least two hours later to find I'd forgotten to turn off
the garden hose after watering the plants, then going shopping. It was
only on at a moderate flow -- more than a trickle, but significant.
I've just read the meter under the pavement and worked out
(extrapolating from my previous bill) how much has gone. The estimated
reading for 20/Aug/12 based on past consumption should be 446. The
actual reading is 448.68, so I've wasted over 2.5m³, which is a heck
of a lot. So I'm planning on emergency measures like all-over washes
instead of baths for the next three months.

But as I get older and more forgetful, is there a gadget I can fit to
either turn off the tap automatically or warn if it's left on?

Yup. Clockwork hose timer, adjustable up to 2 hours;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Land.../sd3226/p49191

Yes, I like the look of that one. And the price is not bad, either.

MM

Hmm, that's at least another 3 months of no baths to cover the cost.

Tim